• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mueller investigation

More excellent points made here: William Barr Has Some Explaining to Do on Politico.

Snippets (emphasis mine):

Mueller’s inability to prove conspiracy does not mean, however, that he failed to uncover evidence that would be troubling to many Americans. When I declined to pursue charges as a federal prosecutor, I often did so in the face of very incriminating evidence, due to an inability to prove a key element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. The public may be shocked by Mueller’s evidence but should respect his investigation and the conclusions he reached after interviewing 500 people and issuing over 2,800 subpoenas.

But on one important question, obstruction of justice, Mueller did not reach any conclusion. According to Barr, Mueller “ultimately determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment” regarding obstruction and “did not draw a conclusion—one way or the other” regarding obstruction. Mueller stated, according to Barr, that his report does not conclude that Trump “committed a crime” but “also does not exonerate him.”

That is a very unusual decision by Mueller. Federal prosecutors are expected to reach a conclusion, one way or the other, regarding whether an individual should be charged. I always did so when I was a prosecutor, and that is what prosecutors do on a regular basis. Perhaps the greatest question raised by Barr’s letter is why Mueller declined to do so here.
Barr’s poor reasoning in the four-page summary will reinforce the conclusion that he prejudged the matter. For example, he claimed that because Mueller was unable to establish that Trump was “involved in an underlying crime,” that suggested that he lacked the intent to obstruct justice. That will come as a surprise to Martha Stewart and many other defendants who were convicted of obstruction of justice but not of any underlying crime. Simply put, that is a fragile reed upon which to support a finding that there was no obstruction.

Barr’s poor judgment means that Congress will have to take steps to find out what is in Mueller’s report and what underlying evidence Mueller found. While many have suggested that the full report be made public, that is likely not possible under existing law unless Congress and the President take action. But there is no reason why House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler cannot see the full report, or why his committee could not subpoena Barr or even Mueller.

Now combine that bolded part with the fact that Mueller evidently already informed Barr about where he was on the obstruction question three weeks ago and factor in:

Barr wrote a 19-page single-spaced memorandum to the Deputy Attorney General and Trump’s attorneys explaining why Trump did not obstruct justice long before he became Attorney General

Again, Mueller is no idiot. Barr's opinion on the whole investigation was well known even before being appointed by Trumputin. So why would Mueller tip him in any way--let alone three weeks prior to completing and submitting the report--about his findings/position in regard to obstruction?

Well, what's a way to "booby-trap" the report so that it all but requires (i.e., as a matter of strict protocol) that the House, in particular, must subpoena for the full report, brer rabbit?

As I pointed out previously, the only way to do that is to use the DOJ rules to Mueller's advantage, which is precisely what it seems he's done, only in a very clever manner. Instead of over-extending and calling for actions the AG would be guaranteed to countermand--which would trigger Congressional intervention--he did the same thing, only in reverse by coming to no conclusion and thus not being able to recommend any action by the AG and took steps to make it very clear that was his position long before the final report.

So, he told the one guy who he knew was appointed to bury his report exactly what that guy wanted to hear long before completing the report, so that all Barr would be focused on when reading the report (if in fact he ever did) is that portion that seemed to confirm Barr's own bias.

Iow, it wasn't a punt so much as it was an onside kick, straight into the hands of Nadler, hopefully.

As Neal Katyal, former acting solicitor general under Obama and currently a professor at Georgetown University put it in a separate Politico piece:

If there is any exoneration on the question of whether Trump obstructed justice, it has been done by Barr, not by Mueller. And Barr’s actions in this respect will raise very serious concerns on the Hill.

ETA: I think it's also significant that Mueller didn't meet with Barr and Rosenstein over that weekend to go over the report. And Rosenstein--who appointed Mueller to begin with--would likewise know Barr's position and would be an effective way to "guide" Barr to trip the booby-trap, if you will and that's essentially exactly what we see happening in Barr's letter.

Barr makes note to reference Rosenstein seemingly in lock-step with his summation, particularly regarding how Mueller seems to punt on obstruction, but is actually saying that he could not come to a conclusion one way or the other on the matter.

So Barr took that opening and (with Rosenstein's assurance) inadvertently triggered the DOJ/Congressional guidelines by effectivley contradicting the Special Counsel's recommendation (or, in this case lack of foundation to make a recommendation either way).

That means the AG is effectively contradicting the Special Counsel, which triggers (3):

(a) The Attorney General will notify the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Judiciary Committees of each House of Congress, with an explanation for each action -
(3) Upon conclusion of the Special Counsel's investigation, including, to the extent consistent with applicable law, a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the Attorney General concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.

In this case, the "proposed action" by Mueller, was that there can be no action determined either way. So Barr's action--to conclude to not pursue obstruction--is in contradiction to Mueller's conclusion.

Last edited:
I heard this morning that Mitch, aka the Turtle who runs the Senate is already trying to keep the report secret. Gee. Why is that?

In light of the fact that Trump has already publicly declared it a full exoneration, that will be exceedingly difficult for Murtle to argue it.

"Murtle" made me laugh :lol:

The full report will be released. This will put the determination of whether or not Trump obstructed justice in the hands of Congress, which, constitutionally speaking, is where it belongs.

I guess they realized it's better to release it now than closer to the election. And that's assuming they haven't redacted it to death. But typically these reports have an executive summary, which shouldn't need to be touched. Normally. We'll see...

You know, I remember something about the years 2009-2016. Obama would dangle whatever paper the birthers wanted just out of reach, and then just when they have worked themselves into a fever pitch and were absolutely convinced this paper would "prove" Obama wasn't born in the US, he would release the paper and watch their worldview collapse.

He did it more than once, with both the regular birth certificate and the long form birth certificate.

Now I see the summary released, and the Russia Conspiracy Theorists are working themselves into a fever pitch and are absolutely convinced the full report will "prove" Trump was an asset of Russia.

Life is tough when you invest everything into a conspiracy theory that is proven to be false.

Notice how Jason didn't address any facts and analysis in regard to Roger Stone. He just used ad Homs to try to dismiss them without discussing any of them.

Jason perhaps you'd like to discuss facts instead of conservative spin points?

You know, I remember something about the years 2009-2016. Obama would dangle whatever paper the birthers wanted just out of reach, and then just when they have worked themselves into a fever pitch and were absolutely convinced this paper would "prove" Obama wasn't born in the US, he would release the paper and watch their worldview collapse.

He did it more than once, with both the regular birth certificate and the long form birth certificate.

Now I see the summary released, and the Russia Conspiracy Theorists are working themselves into a fever pitch and are absolutely convinced the full report will "prove" Trump was an asset of Russia.

Life is tough when you invest everything into a conspiracy theory that is proven to be false.

And since the report not only does not prove it false, but was very carefully worded to indicate it was true?

Do you just not think before you post? Or is it that you think by ignoring these things, it will somehow just magically be true?

Do you just not think before you post? Or is it that you think by ignoring these things, it will somehow just magically be true?
I think it's the process. Inertia, maybe.

For two years, some people here have maintained that Mueller was finding nothing, because there was nothing to find. Others here said that we wouldn't know, COULDN'T know, until the investigation was finished and we got the final results.
As indictnents and guilty pleas accumulated, some insisted there was nothing there, just a fishing expedition. Others wanted the final report.
Now this one investigation is done, though it has more spin-offs than All In The Family, and some of us are still waiting to actually see the actual report. People have been telling me what was gonna be in that, including FuckFace von "WITCH HUNT!!!"
And some are still telling me what they know is in thevreport they haven't got access to.... yeah, i will wait a bit longer before ordering catering for the Wake, thanx.

I guess name-calling is better than discussing the Roger Stone indictments and what it'd mean for the contents of the Mueller report.

I wonder what name should be applied to those who desperately hold on to the belief that Trump is an asset of Putin.

Once again, the Barr letter does nothing to dissuade such a notion. In fact, it confirms it. Barr quoted Mueller stating:

[T]he evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference

A simple change in the word order should suffice to demonstrate the obvious and key difference:

[T]he evidence establishes that the President was not involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference

Even you are intelligent enough to see the difference between those two statements. The actual one that Mueller made says only that Mueller could not legally establish involvement beyond a reasonable doubt (which is the threshold). The second one I wrote, however, unequivocally declares that the evidence proves he wasn't involved.

Only my version exonerates the President. Mueller's version, otoh, indicates that the evidence he uncovered shows Trump was in fact involved, but the evidence just did not rise to the legal standard necessary for the special counsel to justify acting.

This is not accidental. It's not like Mueller is sitting in his chair today going, "Oh, damnit, that's not what I meant to write at all! I was distracted by my dog that day. My bad."

He knew precisely what he was saying--and not saying--and chose the words very carefully, just as Barr did in his own "report."

ETA: It also specifies an "underlying crime related to." As so many have constantly reminded everybody, "collusion" is not a crime in and of itself. So, what crime, exactly, would "involvement related to Russian election interference" be? Treason? Espionage? Those are very high bars indeed (and typically involve an officially declared state of war according to some).

So, again, to meet the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of evidence related to a crime of espionage or the like, he'd need to have something on the order of a direct confession; like wiretaps on Trump speaking directly to Putin openly planning the overthrow of our government, or similar correspondence that expressly stated such plans and how they were proceeding.

There's also the fact that Barr evidently pulled that quote out of context. The brackets in "[T]he" mean that it was not a complete sentence; there is something preceding it. We, obviously, do not know what that is, but generally it means cherry-picking the best part that Barr thought enforced his already well-documented bias against the legitimacy of the investigation in the first place.

Iow, that partial quote was likely the best of the best and what preceded would likely not be helpful to Barr's bias.

Regardless, all of it means that the best Barr could find throughout the entire report was a snippet of a sentence that did not actually exonerate Trump of being involved (of "colluding"), merely that Mueller could not establish that Trump was involved in any "underlying crime" related.

That is unquestionably not the same thing as proving that Trump was not Putin's asset. Far from it, in fact. It implies precisely that he was, but with the caveat that it couldn't be legally established with the evidence he had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom