• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mueller investigation

Rumour has it that Mueller will resign so he can testify whithout impediment by the* DOJ

I'm not sure I understand how his employment situation with the DOJ works right now anyway. He's done with the investigation. What are his duties now? Is he still officially the Special Counsel?

Also, wtf happened with Rosenstein? Seems like he was playing both sides. I get the idea he wasn't as strong minded a person as he seemed and thought he could pretend to play for Trump's team so he could stay in his job and keep an eye on things. But then we learn he was crying about not wanting to get fired via Twitter. What? To people of conscience, that's a fucking badge of honor. It sucks to get fired, especially like McCabe, a day before your retirement so you don't get any of your retirement benefits. That's particularly cruel, but not an embarrassment for McCabe, and being fired by Twitter would not be a mark against Rosenstein but just more confirmation that Trump is a puerile moron.

Also, wtf happened with Rosenstein? Seems like he was playing both sides. I get the idea he wasn't as strong minded a person as he seemed and thought he could pretend to play for Trump's team so he could stay in his job and keep an eye on things. But then we learn he was crying about not wanting to get fired via Twitter. What? To people of conscience, that's a fucking badge of honor. It sucks to get fired, especially like McCabe, a day before your retirement so you don't get any of your retirement benefits. That's particularly cruel, but not an embarrassment for McCabe, and being fired by Twitter would not be a mark against Rosenstein but just more confirmation that Trump is a puerile moron.

I take a lot of what people supposedly said/felt as reported via twitter or other media with some big grains of salt.

I think that Rosenstein has done his best to walk a really fine line. I don't like which way it seems he fell onto but I also know we don't know everything yet and probably never will. I also think that we believe that there will be a hero or a small group of heroes that will save us. I don't believe that. We have to be the heroes here and vote the bastard out--and vote in someone with impeccable integrity and a great deal of fortitude.

I take a lot of what people supposedly said/felt as reported via twitter or other media with some big grains of salt.

I think that Rosenstein has done his best to walk a really fine line. I don't like which way it seems he fell onto but I also know we don't know everything yet and probably never will. I also think that we believe that there will be a hero or a small group of heroes that will save us. I don't believe that. We have to be the heroes here and vote the bastard out--and vote in someone with impeccable integrity and a great deal of fortitude.

Point(s) taken.

Has anyone posted Mueller's letter to Barr after Barr showed his true mission to cover for Trump?

Here it is if anyone missed it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/cont...696-845a-1b45ad32fff1/?utm_term=.82bfb7950561

Rumour has it that Mueller will resign so he can testify whithout impediment by the* DOJ

I'm not sure I understand how his employment situation with the DOJ works right now anyway. He's done with the investigation. What are his duties now? Is he still officially the Special Counsel?

No, he's all done. He'll likely go back to his law firm. Technically, he could stay on through the remaining trials (like Stone's), but there is no reason for him to do so.

Point(s) taken.

Has anyone posted Mueller's letter to Barr after Barr showed his true mission to cover for Trump?

Here it is if anyone missed it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/cont...696-845a-1b45ad32fff1/?utm_term=.82bfb7950561
Yeah, I did, 12 hours previously. ;)

Barr was respected (though maybe partly due to decades passing since Iran-Contra), and now that is gone. The GOP is running on empty when it comes to principles. They lacked principles while Obama was President, but they are almost without any humanity left.

We actually had a verified case of an election possibly being stolen due to fraud (North Carolina)... and NOTHING about it. And Graham is whining to Barr about shit, while Barr is clearly trying to protect the President as if he is the President's personal lawyer.

Barr took Mueller's report out of context, and that much was clear in Barr's own original letter. And Senator Harris disrobed the guy... herself being a former State Attorney General, and eviscerated Barr, both noting that he publicly had a witness of the case (Rosenstein) be part of the jury, and Barr didn't actually review the evidence before coming to an answer on obstruction... of which he is now saying he didn't come up with an answer.

And we see how politics operates, get the word out first and try to let that stand as the truth. Barr is officially in disgrace territory and should resign... fuck... nearly the entire Trump Admin should resign. It is pathetic, unconstitutional, anti-democratic. This stuff is why the Electoral College exists to protect America from this level of depravity and solely self-interested governance.

No, he's all done. He'll likely go back to his law firm. Technically, he could stay on through the remaining trials (like Stone's), but there is no reason for him to do so.
As a reminder, this is for the Attorney General launched investigation. The House... could sign him up. Though I don't know how wise that would be. Simple testifying would work. Mueller can say in two or three sentences, something that'd be ultimately damning for Trump... not that the GOP would do anything about it.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm asking if he is an employee of the DOJ at this moment or what.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm asking if he is an employee of the DOJ at this moment or what.

No, he is not (and was not, as a "special counsel" is more like a freelancer contracted by the DOJ and not--technically--employed by it).

Rep. Steve Cohen brought a bucket of chicken and a ceramic chicken to the hearing Barr refused to attend.

2305218_1.jpg

No, he is not (and was not, as a "special counsel" is more like a freelancer contracted by the DOJ and not--technically--employed by it).

I guess what I'm asking is what is the DOJ's statement on this, if any. Is he officially not an employee of the DOJ and officially a private citizen again? But I'm not actually asking you to answer that. I'm asking if anyone knows what is Mueller's actual status at the DOJ.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the DOJ's statement on this, if any. Is he officially not an employee of the DOJ and officially a private citizen again? But I'm not actually asking you to answer that. I'm asking if anyone knows what is Mueller's actual status at the DOJ.

Someone asked Pete Williams that question this morning. He didn't know, so I doubt that anyone here is much the wiser.

Someone should tell Trump that Mueller is still a DOJ employee. maybe Trump'll order him to lie to Congress about the investigation and his findings.

Someone should tell Trump that Mueller is still a DOJ employee. maybe Trump'll order him to lie to Congress about the investigation and his findings.

But it would't be a direct order, more like - "You know, I have pardon power if any of my friends were to say nice things about me to congress"

Wow, C-SPAN coverage of Kamala Harris' questioning of Barr is on the first page of results under "Trending" on Youtube *without* clicking the "News" category, just general trending. You never see news there, much less C-SPAN coverage of anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHd_UlebyoM
Well, her questioning of Barr was like Messi's set piece against Liverpool yesterday, so it isn't that surprising.

Well, there's this from April 30:

Nadler had sent a letter to DOJ following the department’s release of the Mueller Report asking that Mueller appear for questioning no later than May 23. Two sources familiar with the conversations said the Judiciary Committee has been in regular contact with DOJ about setting a date for Mueller’s testimony and that those conversations were still going on. Committee sources said it was their impression that Mueller was willing to testify to discuss his findings, though it was unclear whether that would take place in public or behind closed doors.

But the DOJ has, according to multiple sources, not agreed to a date, citing Mueller’s continued status as a department employee—since the special counsel serves under the attorney general.

So, he evidently is still hanging around DOJ for some unknown reason.

Well, there's this from April 30:

Nadler had sent a letter to DOJ following the department’s release of the Mueller Report asking that Mueller appear for questioning no later than May 23. Two sources familiar with the conversations said the Judiciary Committee has been in regular contact with DOJ about setting a date for Mueller’s testimony and that those conversations were still going on. Committee sources said it was their impression that Mueller was willing to testify to discuss his findings, though it was unclear whether that would take place in public or behind closed doors.

But the DOJ has, according to multiple sources, not agreed to a date, citing Mueller’s continued status as a department employee—since the special counsel serves under the attorney general.

So, he evidently is still hanging around DOJ for some unknown reason.
Being Special Prosecutor probably gave him a righteous parking spot and he doesn't want to give it up yet.

Just listening to Rachel Maddow. Mueller had reservations about pronouncing anything officially on Trump because he claimed technically he cannot indict a sitting president. Since making a claim about Trump's guilt or innocence meant Trump could not have a chance to legally defend himself officially, Mueller felt obligated not to put Trump in that position.

But Barr has officially stated that Mueller had a legal obligation to state whether or not Trump was seen as guilty of anything, and could have been indicted if he had not been president. Oops. Now that Barr has officially made that determination, Mueller is obligated to openly report his findings. Mueller will be asked by the House Democrats to appear and state just that, according to the official AG finding he is legally obligated to make a determination of guilt or innocence.

It may well be that because Mueller had made the decision he did, Barr may have used that as an excuse to officially end the Mueller investigation. But Barr's determination may cause that investigation to be declared open and Mueller's findings presented, Trump being officially indictable or not. if Trump is indictable, he could be impeached because of those findings.

Stay tuned. This may be about to get very exciting. Barr may have screwed Trump good and hard accidentally.

Back
Top Bottom