• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NBA comes down hard on racist owner: Fox News defends him

I also think he is a product of his times. Sadly, he could not or would not grow. I do not like what type of person he is but I also do not like that this was recorded without his knowledge. A person has a reasonable expectation of privacy when in a private setting. Recorded by his 20 something girlfriend.
My understanding is he bought two Lifetime Achievement Awards from the local chapter of the NAACP.
Further, the punishment handed down by the NBA is the NBA saying they fucked up and should have vetted this guy better before letting him buy in and now they are correcting it.
Plenty of stink to go around. Money and pussy.

30 years ago when he bought the team racism in pro sports was still the norm.

No NFL black QBs and no black managers. etc.

When he bought the team 30 years ago racism in sports was the norm. No black QBs or managers and so on. Warren Moon initially had to go to Canada to play QB.
When he got an NFL contract he took serious abuse form players and fans.

I saw some evasion and spin in the press conference.

The commissioner said he knew Sterling for 20 years. Then when asked if he ever saw any hints of the recent behavior it was a stiff no saying he never really knew him.

Right. I expect it is a little like MLB claiming to be shocked there was widespread drugabuse in the league.

My understanding is he bought two Lifetime Achievement Awards from the local chapter of the NAACP.

"Local chapter" are key words. I don't like the modern NAACP very much, but when you see so etching completely absurd, it's usually a local group going off the rails, rather than the national group.

"Local chapter" are key words. I don't like the modern NAACP very much, but when you see so etching completely absurd, it's usually a local group going off the rails, rather than the national group.

If the national NAACP was unaware that the local chapter was using the national organization to honor a well known bigot and slumlord, then they are guilty of gross negligence of the central duties. If they were aware and haven't criticized this move, then they are guilty of knowingly harming minorities for their own gain.

If the national NAACP was unaware that the local chapter was using the national organization to honor a well known bigot and slumlord, then they are guilty of gross negligence of the central duties. If they were aware and haven't criticized this move, then they are guilty of knowingly harming minorities for their own gain.

IOW, in no way is the national organization guilty, guilty, guilty

What is your post a response to? It doesn't seem to relate to mine. The facts suggest that the national organization at minimum guilty of negligence of a central duty as an organization, and more likely guilty of knowingly doing something out of self-serving interests that harmed minorities and made Sterling a richer man (money he will use to harm more minorities).

And cue the denial, outrage and blame the black liberal Trutherism in 3...2...1....

"Whoever set this up is really good. They covered every base. They've got the media wrapped around their little finger," Limbaugh said.
Will any intrepid reporters notice that Magic Johnson just happens to have a group ready to buy the Clippers? THE WHOLE THING WAS A SETUP! — Todd Kincannon

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/conspiracy-theory-sterling-set-up

What is your post a response to? It doesn't seem to relate to mine. The facts suggest that the national organization at minimum guilty of negligence of a central duty as an organization, and more likely guilty of knowingly doing something out of self-serving interests that harmed minorities and made Sterling a richer man (money he will use to harm more minorities).

there was a NOT in there

In other words there in no way that the national office is NOT guilty, guilty, guilty.

It is funny that I am watching Hoosiers for the first time today. Just how my movie list worked out. All white players and coaches and no racial headaches! I'll send a copy to Sterling.

And cue the denial, outrage and blame the black liberal Trutherism in 3...2...1....

"Whoever set this up is really good. They covered every base. They've got the media wrapped around their little finger," Limbaugh said.
Will any intrepid reporters notice that Magic Johnson just happens to have a group ready to buy the Clippers? THE WHOLE THING WAS A SETUP! — Todd Kincannon

here's the problem with that.

It's the clippers

Even if they are having a good run finally, it is still the clippers.

No one, especially someone in the business is gonna plot to get the clippers.

Well if we're to be perfectly honest, it WAS a set up. Somebody recorded the conversation, somebody leaked it to TMZ, and that somebody was more than likely one of the two people talking on the tape.

And to paraphrase a friend of mine who makes his living doing commentary, an 80 year old billionaire doesn't buy a girlfriend, he rents one. This woman just happens to not care if she gets her security deposit back.

However there is a broader point here. One which the Limbaugh types of the world are probably never going to address:

This ass clown and the idiot up in Nevada are not victims of "political correctness." They are not going down in flames because of some liberal media conspiracy to make them look bad.

No, the truth is that the market has spoken, and racism isn't good for business. The racial prejudices that these folks cling to and in these cases said out loud went the way of the rotary phone and leaded gasoline a long time ago. Racism is not a product that sells in the general public, and the collection of billionaires who make up the ownership of the NBA probably factored their profits into the equation when they decided to throw this guy under the bus.

The intrepid defenders of the "free market" should be applauding this outcome, since bigotry has clearly lost in the marketplace of ideas.

Well if we're to be perfectly honest, it WAS a set up. Somebody recorded the conversation, somebody leaked it to TMZ, and that somebody was more than likely one of the two people talking on the tape.

Oh, I agree with that, but Limbaugh's premise is that it was a set-up to get the clippers from him And that is ridiculous, IMHO.

No, the truth is that the market has spoken, and racism isn't good for business.

And this warms the cockles of my heart.

If it were a TV crime drama episode thequestion would be:

1. Who gains financially fromhis demise.
  2. Who has personal motive to destroy him.
  3. What family squabbles were going on.
  4. Does s somebody want to buy the team.
  5. Any bad blood with other owners.

A perfect plot for a Colombo episode.

I watched the press conference and the subsequent coverage on Fox Sports 1 in and around the Champions League match. There was no obvious bias toward or even a hint of a defense given to Mr. Stirling on this Fox outlet.

No, the truth is that the market has spoken, and racism isn't good for business.

I have always said that racism won't disappear until we give up on the rather ridiculous concept of race. I might be wrong, we might just give up on the ridiculous concept of racism.

I don't get it.

Why does FOX News rush to defend the racist comments by an NBA team owner, but dropped the cattle rancher like a hot potato? It used to be you could rely on them being consistent about defending racists; why are they suddenly being so picky about which racists they want to stand beside? Do Nevada racists smell worse than California racists or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah ha! It was a conspiracy! I knew it!

Is this conspiracy in any way connected to Obama's secret weather machine? Because the weather machine conspiracy theories are my favorite right now!

Which would include Colombo shooting hoops with Magic, because he's a far more valuable guest star than the victim.

The punishment (2.5 million fine, lifetime ban, forced sale) does not fit the "crime" (some racist statements said in private) in the least.
The real villain of the piece is the vindictive, gold-digging bitch who recorded and then leaked the conversation.

Well, the problem is moreso that he *IS* a racist, not that racist statements accidentally happened to come out of his mouth. He meant what he said, and what he said was flagrantly racist. The fault for all this mess is primarily his, not the media and not his SO.

Brian

And the dirty old man with the girlfriend young enough to be his granddaughter, who he tries to control and dictate her behavior to, is completely innocent.

Remember, he's not just being racist in this clip, he's also giving orders to his girlfriend, acting as if he owns her. I bet its not for the first time. And you blame her for being sick of it?

The punishment (2.5 million fine, lifetime ban, forced sale) does not fit the "crime" (some racist statements said in private) in the least.
The real villain of the piece is the vindictive, gold-digging bitch who recorded and then leaked the conversation.
She is a gold digging bitch? What does that make him? A pedophile?

Back
Top Bottom