• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New report on climate change released today

I will add to that

4) Didn't like those damn tourists anyway, they can go somewhere else.
5) This is not a catastrophic event so it doesn't count.

Yea, what could possibly go wrong! How about a quadrupling of power prices for a start. There are millions of pensioners and poor people on fixed income now who can't afford to switch on a heater or air con. Regardless of what the watermelons tell you about renewable power, it's not sustainable without huge government [taxpayer] subsidies. There are no cheaper alternatives to coal, nuclear or other fossil fuels for power generation for the foreseeable future.

The cost of adding some renewable power to the mix isn't all that great and is a cost we probably should incur to drive innovation. The real problem is the lack of storage.

There's also this inconvenient truth of the matter. Were 100% of humanity killed off, it would mean just around 3% less CO2 [a plant food] in the Earth's atmosphere. I repeat, that long before humanity appeared on this planet, the CO2 in the atmosphere was at times 100 times higher than it is today.

Here you're falling for the crap from the deniers. Yes, in the far past CO2 levels have been far higher--but the sun wasn't putting out as much energy back then. Take those ancient CO2 levels and current solar energy and the Earth would be pretty darn warm. (And in the far future this is going to be catastrophic--we have only about 50 million years before the Earth can no longer compensate and the temperature starts heading up. In something like a billion years all life will be extinct.)

While it's not catastrophic these two images make it very clear that there are big changes:

This is how I recall it (I was there in 1982):

View attachment 19394

And here's a more modern picture:

mNPaCCD.jpg

Ice retreats in Summer and expands in Winter! Some Winters as well as some Summers are more extreme than usual. But that's hardly due to the climate change cult.

Note that Kilimanjaro is IIRC 3 degrees from the equator. Summer/winter means almost nothing there. That snowpack was permanent, not a winter phenomenon.

While it's not catastrophic these two images make it very clear that there are big changes:

This is how I recall it (I was there in 1982):

View attachment 19394

And here's a more modern picture:

mNPaCCD.jpg

Ice retreats in Summer and expands in Winter! Some Winters as well as some Summers are more extreme than usual. But that's hardly due to the climate change cult.

Note that Kilimanjaro is IIRC 3 degrees from the equator. Summer/winter means almost nothing there. That snowpack was permanent, not a winter phenomenon.

Yeah, it's not encouraging when someone is speaking authoritatively about climate, but doesn't know that seasons are meaningless at the equator.

It's almost as though he doesn't actually have a clue about climate, weather, atmospheric physics, or the drivers of change (both anthropogenic and non-anthropogenic) in any of these things.

But that would imply that he is just parroting nonsense that fits his desired conclusion. So that can't be right. :rolleyes:

Irukandji jellyfish now found farther south than ever before, threatening the lucrative tourist industry in South East Queensland.

A forlone hope i know, and I don't expect a response. But do you have any proof the oceans temperature is higher today than say, 40 years ago? The Great Barrier Reef was supposed to no longer exist today, but unconventionally for the zealots it's still there and in better shape than it has ever been.

I'm sick to death about hearing about the bullshit about rising temperatures. Why don't rational people like many claim to be on this forum remove the blinkers and see " climate change/global warming for what it really is. A politicized grand fraud on a scale never seen before.

I'm just using local data for my home city here, which should not make any difference as it's claimed the fraud is world wide.

The average maximum temp, according to Bureau of Meteorology, from 1933 to 2018 is 24.7C. Over the last three years the average is 24.6C. So the temperature hasn't gone up permanently in the last 30 years.

Between 2010 and 2015 it was 25.6c. That is, for the last three years it has actually dropped a degree. How does this fit into the CO2 related climate change fraud?

One degree C variation is within our normal experience. How come 1.5C is going to so catastrophic?

The IPCC ignores, either deliberately for political reasons or even more sinister reasons, a billion years of constantly changing climate, and to have created a brand new religion of GW/CC for the sheeple to follow and pay for.

Irukandji jellyfish now found farther south than ever before, threatening the lucrative tourist industry in South East Queensland.

A forlone hope i know, and I don't expect a response. But do you have any proof the oceans temperature is higher today than say, 40 years ago? The Great Barrier Reef was supposed to no longer exist today, but unconventionally for the zealots it's still there and in better shape than it has ever been.

You seem to be obsessed with comparing science of the past with the science of today. Science does not stay still and evovles daily, hour, by hour, even by minute as new data, techniques, and technology evolves. It makes no difference if predictions 40 years ago weren't exactly accurat. But go ahead and continue to put your head in the sand. I hope global warming continues to burn your butt. And again you refuse to answer my question. Is it your stance to do nothing?

I'm sick to death about hearing about the bullshit about rising temperatures. Why don't rational people like many claim to be on this forum remove the blinkers and see " climate change/global warming for what it really is. A politicized grand fraud on a scale never seen before.

I'm just using local data for my home city here,
I'm sick to death about hearing about your home city.

I'm just using local data for my home city here, which should not make any difference as it's claimed the fraud is world wide.

The average maximum temp, according to Bureau of Meteorology, from 1933 to 2018 is 24.7C. Over the last three years the average is 24.6C. So the temperature hasn't gone up permanently in the last 30 years.

Between 2010 and 2015 it was 25.6c. That is, for the last three years it has actually dropped a degree. How does this fit into the CO2 related climate change fraud?

One degree C variation is within our normal experience. How come 1.5C is going to so catastrophic?

The IPCC ignores, either deliberately for political reasons or even more sinister reasons, a billion years of constantly changing climate, and to have created a brand new religion of GW/CC for the sheeple to follow and pay for.

Really? You are STILL going to insist on conflating your local weather with global climate?
How did you become such an expert on global climate by reading your local weather reports? Such an expert that you can declare yourself more expert than those who have devoted their lives to the study... such hubris!

Read and learn, Angelo:

IPCC special report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5 °C

Antarctic Ice Loss 2002-2016

But let's not study it - why bother, when we gotz Angelo to tell us all about it? We don't needy cheesy crap like this, right?
NASA’s GRACE-FO mission

I'm sure it can't tell us anything you don't know - or can deem a hoax, just as you have done with the current facts.

Better shape than it has ever been? What are you smoking?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-state-of-the-great-barrier-reef-4141439

You seem to be obsessed with comparing science of the past with the science of today. Science does not stay still and evovles daily, hour, by hour, even by minute as new data, techniques, and technology evolves. It makes no difference if predictions 40 years ago weren't exactly accurat. But go ahead and continue to put your head in the sand. I hope global warming continues to burn your butt. And again you refuse to answer my question. Is it your stance to do nothing?

You obviously missed my statement that no matter what we do, the Earth and it's climate will continue to evolve and change like it has always done for billions of years. As far as science goes, there is theoretical science based on theory and models and experimentation and observation science. I know which one I'd take if my life depended on it!

Better shape than it has ever been? What are you smoking?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-state-of-the-great-barrier-reef-4141439

I don't smoke, gave it up 20 years ago. :p
https://www.quora.com/What-do-clima...ith-the-destruction-of-the-Great-Barrier-Reef

Really? You are STILL going to insist on conflating your local weather with global climate?
How did you become such an expert on global climate by reading your local weather reports? Such an expert that you can declare yourself more expert than those who have devoted their lives to the study... such hubris!

Read and learn, Angelo:

But let's not study it - why bother, when we gotz Angelo to tell us all about it? We don't needy cheesy crap like this, right?
NASA’s GRACE-FO mission

I'm sure it can't tell us anything you don't know - or can deem a hoax, just as you have done with the current facts.

Perhaps NASA should stick to what it does best. Explore space. Who exactly are the climatologists and geophysicists employed by NASA?

Read and learn, Angelo:

NASA’s GRACE-FO mission

Perhaps NASA should stick to what it does best. Explore space. Who exactly are the climatologists and geophysicists employed by NASA?

I can't help you if you don't know what satellites have to do with climate science... sheesh. Some expert, you are.

You obviously missed my statement that no matter what we do, the Earth and it's climate will continue to evolve and change like it has always done for billions of years. As far as science goes, there is theoretical science based on theory and models and experimentation and observation science. I know which one I'd take if my life depended on it!

In the real world you often do not have the ability to conduct experiments.

Looks like "research" rigged to produce the desired result. They studied far wider a period than relevant and showed what one would expect--warmer conditions caused more growth. That doesn't say there isn't a point where it gets too warm and the situation flips.

Back
Top Bottom