• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

Because their player lined up offsides on an interception, and because the ot rules are unfair.

So the Chiefs ripped themselves off???

The OT rules are fine as is. The very same day, in the early game, that game too went to OT. The Saints won the toss, but then lost.

And as so many assholes felt fond of saying that "good teams overcome bad calls" after The Tuck Rule, I say the same thing to the Saints and their fans. Tough titties.

What if the Saints run the ball on 1st down instead of throwing it when they were inside the Rams 20 on that last drive? That stopped the clock which ended up giving the Rams just enough time to come back and score to send it into OT. What if the Saints D stops the Rams offense on the Rams final drive? What if Drew Brees doesn't throw the ball up for grabs in OT? How about the Saints don't blow a 13-0 lead? How about if the Saints get touchdowns instead of field goals on those early turnovers?

There were multiple times the Saints could've put the game away, but failed to do so.

Fuck 'em.

Tom Brady Shocks Press With Statement

The usually reserved and complimentary towards the opponent Tom Brady made statements that raised ears in the first press conference of Super Bowl week. The press conference began a bit differently as Tom Brady walked in with a, presumed, super model around each arm.

"Yeah," Tom Brady responded regarding whether he thought they'd win this Sunday against the LA Rams. He was wearing a large fur coat and large sunglasses, both thing that seemed out of the ordinary for the 5 times Super Bowl champion. "We are going to crush them... and then we'll fuck their wives."

A reporter who asked a followup to double check they heard correctly was excoriated by Brady who threatened to "fuck Cindy {the reporter's wife} too".

The unusual attitude of Tom Brady had caught most reporters by surprise, as they are more familiar with a laid back player who is typically complimentary of the opposition and careful to never trash talk his opponents.

Because their player lined up offsides on an interception, and because the ot rules are unfair.

So the Chiefs ripped themselves off???

The OT rules are fine as is. The very same day, in the early game, that game too went to OT. The Saints won the toss, but then lost.

And as so many assholes felt fond of saying that "good teams overcome bad calls" after The Tuck Rule, I say the same thing to the Saints and their fans. Tough titties.

What if the Saints run the ball on 1st down instead of throwing it when they were inside the Rams 20 on that last drive? That stopped the clock which ended up giving the Rams just enough time to come back and score to send it into OT. What if the Saints D stops the Rams offense on the Rams final drive? What if Drew Brees doesn't throw the ball up for grabs in OT? How about the Saints don't blow a 13-0 lead? How about if the Saints get touchdowns instead of field goals on those early turnovers?

There were multiple times the Saints could've put the game away, but failed to do so.

Fuck 'em.

Yup. I lost hope for the Chiefs when they threw for the touchdown. They could have either run almost all the time off the clock or forced NE to use up its timeouts, then kicked a field goal for the lead if they didn't score on third down... bad clock management for sure.

The need the tweak the overtime rule seems obvious in light of these stats:
Since the new rules came into effect in 2011, 7 of the 8 playoff games that went to overtime were won by the winner of the coin toss, with 5 of those 7 being won on the first possession. The sole exception to to this was the Rams "beating" the Saints two weeks ago in a game that only went to OT due to a game-determining ref error. Had the refs made the right call, then 100% of playoff games under current OT rules would have been won by the winner of the coin toss. Even with that small sample, the odds of that happening without the toss itself being the causal determinant of the outcome are 1 in 128, or 0.8%. So, we can conclude that the current rules make the random luck of the coin toss a major (if not the biggest) causal determinant of the outcome.

Note that while regular season OT stats have much smaller bias for the coin toss winner, that is largely irrelevant to playoffs because most regular season games are between 2 unevenly matched teams or where one or both teams have below average scoring offenses. In that situation, getting first possession matters less than being the better team.
But in the modern game, few teams without a high scoring offense will make the playoffs, and most teams that make the playoffs will be able to score a TD on the first possession or score a fieldgoal then score again on the sudden death second possession. Thus, the odds of the team who gets first possession (and thus is also first to get a second possession) winning in an OT playoff game is very high.

I think playing at least an extra quarter is in order. If it’s still a tie after that, not sure what to do next. Best of five field goals from 40 yards ? But I don’t think sudden death on the first possession is a good way to decide a game just because they won the coin toss.

The need the tweak the overtime rule seems obvious in light of these stats:
Since the new rules came into effect in 2011, 7 of the 8 playoff games that went to overtime were won by the winner of the coin toss, with 5 of those 7 being won on the first possession. The sole exception to to this was the Rams "beating" the Saints two weeks ago in a game that only went to OT due to a game-determining ref error. Had the refs made the right call, then 100% of playoff games under current OT rules would have been won by the winner of the coin toss. Even with that small sample, the odds of that happening without the toss itself being the causal determinant of the outcome are 1 in 128, or 0.8%. So, we can conclude that the current rules make the random luck of the coin toss a major (if not the biggest) causal determinant of the outcome.

Note that while regular season OT stats have much smaller bias for the coin toss winner, that is largely irrelevant to playoffs because most regular season games are between 2 unevenly matched teams or where one or both teams have below average scoring offenses. In that situation, getting first possession matters less than being the better team.
But in the modern game, few teams without a high scoring offense will make the playoffs, and most teams that make the playoffs will be able to score a TD on the first possession or score a fieldgoal then score again on the sudden death second possession. Thus, the odds of the team who gets first possession (and thus is also first to get a second possession) winning in an OT playoff game is very high.

I wonder if it's a case of them doing the math and deciding this was the best possible option they were willing to go for. But you're right, they clearly need to be changed. Might need some kind of dramatic departure from tradition in the stylings of the NHL 3 on 3 rule. Something like each team gets to alternate drives, but each drive is begun with a kickoff.

I'm watching the game tonight, and hoping for a New England win. I get that they're the evil empire but I have a soft spot for record breakers in sports, and like to see how far they can stretch the limits.

Wow! What a disappointing Super Bowl! The game was exceedingly lackluster and the commercials didn't even make up for the game play. One might think more of a close game, but this was just painful.

The M&Ms ad in the first half was, IMHO, the lone highlight and it wasn't even that good. I mean, it was fine, just below Super Bowl expectations. Best ad for me all night, was one played actually during halftime: the one with all of the former players attending some sort of banquet, when a sort of pick up game erupts.

If you missed it, you really didn't miss much. The Pats won again is about all you need to know. Maybe Brady will retire now as he's said he might.

I heard one comment that both teams were playing like they realized the winner had to go and visit Donald Trump at the White House. :)

Yeah, it certainly wasn't the game that was expected. The sievey defense of the Patriots in the regular season didn't show up. The Pats defense in the playoffs (6 halves), had 2 halves they did not give up a point, and 2 more that they just shut down the offense of the opposing team. So 4 of 6 halves in the playoffs, some of the top offenses in the NFL were neutered. While the Ravens were credited for having a great defense, the Pats defense in the playoffs was remarkable and completely uncredited.

Meanwhile, the Rams defensive line did a remarkable job at pressuring and rushing Brady, which is what you need to usually do if you want to beat the Patriots. It was two great defensive performances, and a great job by one receiver.

Up until the end, it definitely felt a bit anti-climatic as a Patriots fan. But once again, the Pats and Brady come through in the fourth quarter.

Winners of 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls, 6 in 18. And to make people sob quite a bit, no reason why they can't be there next year.

Sorry.

But once again, the Pats and Brady come through in the fourth quarter.

Ya, it really wasn't in question that Brady was going to score a late game TD to go ahead. The only question was whether or not the Rams were going to be able to do the same and stay in it.

But once again, the Pats and Brady come through in the fourth quarter.

Ya, it really wasn't in question that Brady was going to score a late game TD to go ahead. The only question was whether or not the Rams were going to be able to do the same and stay in it.
Yes, it was always expected as the Panthers, Giants, Eagles, Seahawks all managed as such. This was the first time the Pats held the opposing team back.

I often wonder how it is that I once enjoyed watching a regulated game of 'kill the ball carrier'. I haven't watched football since the mid-90s. I am also often reminded of my days playing this silly game by aches and pains that have remained. Lots of concussions.

I often wonder how it is that I once enjoyed watching a regulated game of 'kill the ball carrier'. I haven't watched football since the mid-90s. I am also often reminded of my days playing this silly game by aches and pains that have remained. Lots of concussions.

To be fair, they don't actually want to kill the ball carrier, as that would likely be a penalty and result in a loss of yards for their own team. It's more "injure the ball carrier significantly".

Special thanks to Maroon 5 for putting on a half time show that made the football game look exciting. Maroon 5 did not disappoint, they were as shit as I imagined them to be.

Of all the ways the Rams could have lost, I didn't see this one coming. Their season-long mediocre defense killed it, but the offense didn't deliver. Though it was more because of good defense. I didn't think it was boring, I have always liked defensive battles - there's a difference between a low scoring game because of bad offense and one from good defense. Both secondaries played great, and the refs let them play, I don't think there was one pi call. And ultimately, Rams didn't make the big play when it was there - the perfect pass to Cooks in the end zone.

The only good thing about it is Kroenke is a shit and this made some St. Louis and Arsenal fans happy.

Cooks should definitely have caught one of those passes but to be fair, on one of those passes, the defender (McCourty?) covered a lot of ground to make things difficult for him.

Cooks should definitely have caught one of those passes but to be fair, on one of those passes, the defender (McCourty?) covered a lot of ground to make things difficult for him.
In the end zone, McCourty charged from out of no where like he was using a cheat code, and batted at the ball at the right time to stop the touchdown. The Rams had a couple good chances, and the Patriots secondary finally came through without ridiculous receptions like in the Giants or Seahawks Super Bowls.

In the end zone, McCourty charged from out of no where like he was using a cheat code, and batted at the ball at the right time to stop the touchdown. The Rams had a couple good chances, and the Patriots secondary finally came through without ridiculous receptions like in the Giants or Seahawks Super Bowls.

It was only after I saw the replay did I appreciate how much ground McCourty covered. That was a brilliant run, fair play to him.

Of all the ways the Rams could have lost, I didn't see this one coming. Their season-long mediocre defense killed it, but the offense didn't deliver. Though it was more because of good defense. I didn't think it was boring, I have always liked defensive battles - there's a difference between a low scoring game because of bad offense and one from good defense. Both secondaries played great, and the refs let them play, I don't think there was one pi call. And ultimately, Rams didn't make the big play when it was there - the perfect pass to Cooks in the end zone.

The only good thing about it is Kroenke is a shit and this made some St. Louis and Arsenal fans happy.
Same. I appreciated finally watching a superbowl that was about defense, although as is the case in most sports casual fans equate high scores with excitement. But could be worse, at least it wasn't Scherzer and Stroman at Roger's Centre.

Actually, in retrospect I wish I would have watched the game more closely, because usually I only pay attention when an announcer is yelling, meaning offense, meaning I missed the intricacies of what was happening.

Back
Top Bottom