• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

When I was reading The Iliad (only part of it) there are all of these battles between men but the gods are tipping the scales all the time.

Sort of like the refs.

Dunno if I’d go so far as to say robbed. It was a bad non call but doesn’t mean to say it impact the outcome of the game.

Completely changed the outcome. Had the clear and obvious correct call been made, NO would have been able to run the clock down and kick a 20 yard chip shot with time expiring.

Possibly. But anything could have happened, fumble, blocked kick etc. It was a shocking non call though.

In that situation, on the 10 yard line with the ability to run out the clock, the odds of a play resulting in a turnover are less than 1% and the odds of a blocked field goal from that distance are about the same. So, there was about 99% odds of a Saints win had the call been been. IOW, the non-call was by far the greatest determinant of the outcome.

Possibly. But anything could have happened, fumble, blocked kick etc. It was a shocking non call though.

In that situation, on the 10 yard line with the ability to run out the clock, the odds of a play resulting in a turnover are less than 1% and the odds of a blocked field goal from that distance are about the same. So, there was about 99% odds of a Saints win had the call been been. IOW, the non-call was by far the greatest determinant of the outcome.

Yeah, anything is possible, but NO was in an absolutely prime position to win the game.

Statistically that is true. But statistics don't matter because they didn't get the call and that's the end of it. However, in a high pressure game it is entirely feasible that any number of things could have happened where Saints did not score. Failed field goal attempts happen regularly (didn't Cosby miss 5 or six in a single game?) and quite a few extra point misses throughout the season, I seem to remember an extra point miss in the playoffs. Maybe Saints get called offside a couple of times to move the kick back ? Maybe the Rams let the Saints run it in for a touch down and then maybe the Rams return for a touchdown, who knows, plenty of things could have happened. It was an enjoyable game and the Rams are going to the Super Bowl.

Chiefs: Hey Dee Ford; don't like up offsides. The interception that was overturned due to this likely wins the game.

Saints: Earlier in game face mask penalty missed that would have given the Rams first & goal on the 1 quit crying. Potential 4 points Rams didn't get. Potential 3 points you don't get due to the PI penalty non-call. Either way the points aren't guaranteed.

There were two bad pi non calls for the Rams, and that was money well spent. Fantastic, satisfying win, clutch performances from all facets. Their special teams have been strong for them, though they don't usually need them much, but they finally got the limelight. McVay pulled a Payton with that fake punt, which was an incredibly gutsy call both times - if it fails, the other team is already in field goal range, and the game could get out of reach. Very proud of Goff, he made some difficult passes in second half, and some perfect ones, he does belong at this level. He bailed out McVay for his bad decision to kick a field goal at the one. Worried about Gurley for next game - they're denying it but he's still injured.

This bad non call hopefully turns out just like the tuck rule bad call in the 2002 NE-OAK playoff that made Brady's first SB possible. Over the next 2 decades, I hope the nation comes to hate the Rams and Goff just as much as they hate NE now.

America is Crisis!!!

America is slowly counting down the days as it unwillingly marches itself towards Super Bowl LIII, the largest number Super Bowl ever. On one hand, the once underdog Patriots, beloved by all in America except Oakland (and really, who cares what people in Oakland think), have become a much blighted team in the eyes of America caused both by overexposure of 9 Super Bowl appearances in 18 years, and scandals ranging from deflategate, film gate, and the kidnap and murder of Donavon McNabbs's familygate.

If it were just the Patriots, there would be hope for America, a shining beacon of hope of an opponent to cheer for. Last year, it was the adorable Nick Foles (a low confidence replacement to Philadelphia's paper mache starting QB Carson Wentz) who managed to help lift the Eagles against the bend until we break Patriots defense in the fourth quarter to give America what it needed most, the Patriots losing the Super Bowl.

Alas, this year, America is poked in the eye with the Patriots opponents being a team from Los Angeles, the city America loves to hate, especially in sports. So with two teams completely unsupportable by neutral football fans, America, nearly en masse, is, in dejected spirits, relegated to watching the Super Bowl "for the commercials".

And this ignores the pain and suffering in both New Orleans, a city betrayed by glaucoma, and even worse Atlanta, the host city to both this years Super Bowl and the NFL team who performed the greatest choke job in the history of one off sports Championship Games, leaving AC Milan, as part of an obscure reference, to ponder 'hey, we aren't the worst anymore'. Yeah... YNWA!

Be tough America! You survived the Great Depression, Disco, and WWII. You can endure this hardship that is Super Bowl LIII.

Last edited:
America is Crisis!!!

America is slowly counting down the days as it unwillingly marches itself towards Super Bowl LIII, the largest number Super Bowl ever. On one hand, the once underdog Patriots, beloved by all in America except Oakland (and really, who cares what people in Oakland think), have become a much blighted team in the eyes of America caused both by overexposure of 9 Super Bowl appearances in 18 years, and scandals ranging from deflategate, film gate, and the kidnap and murder of Donavon McNabbs's familygate.

If it were just the Patriots, there would be hope for America, a shining beacon of hope of an opponent to cheer for. Last year, it was the adorable Nick Foles (a low confidence replacement to Philadelphia's paper mache starting QB Carson Wentz) who managed to help lift the Eagles against the bend until we break Patriots defense in the fourth quarter to give America what it needed most, the Patriots losing the Super Bowl.

Alas, this year, America is poked in the eye with the Patriots opponents being a team from Los Angeles, the city America loves to hate, especially in sports. So with two teams completely unsupportable by neutral football fans, America, nearly en masse, is, in dejected spirits, relegated to watching the Super Bowl "for the commercials".

And this ignores the pain and suffering in both New Orleans, a city betrayed by glaucoma, and even worse Atlanta, the host city to both this years Super Bowl and the NFL team who performed the greatest choke job in the history of one off sports Championship Games, leaving AC Milan, as part of an obscure reference, to ponder 'hey, we aren't the worst anymore'. Yeah... YNWA!

Be tough America! You survived the Great Depression, Disco, and WWII. You can endure this hardship that is Super Bowl LIII.

Wow. How some things just look good together. Patriots and Trump both at 36%*

* Joe Isuzu

America is Crisis!!!

Wow. How some things just look good together. Patriots and Trump both at 36%*

* Joe Isuzu
What would put the Pats at 36%... and of what?

Chiefs got ripped off.
Nobody talks about THAT!

They should be playing the Saints for the Lombardi trophy.

Because their player lined up offsides on an interception, and because the ot rules are unfair.

Because their player lined up offsides on an interception, and because the ot rules are unfair.
Had KC won the toss and then proceeded to overwhelm the Pats defense and win, I doubt we'd be hearing about issues with OT.

Granted, I think first to score a TD is a silly rule.

Chiefs got ripped off.
Nobody talks about THAT!

They should be playing the Saints for the Lombardi trophy.

The Saints got ripped off too. I've never seen a more blatant, malicious play not get called for pass interference.

I just watched a replay of the Pats-Falcons Super Bowl game and have to give the Pats credit for giving me the opportunity for a little schadenfreude. I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan and there are a couple teams out there that have had it worse than us, including the Falcons.

I just watched a replay of the Pats-Falcons Super Bowl game and have to give the Pats credit for giving me the opportunity for a little schadenfreude. I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan and there are a couple teams out there that have had it worse than us, including the Falcons.
The Patriots could not win a game for the next twenty years, but I know that one game will always keep me happy.

At halftime I knew the stats told a different story than the scoreboard, and then come the fourth quarter I knew it was possible... and the absolute best part was the misery that was going to come to every hater after that point. Nausea affected nearly 100 million people at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom