• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Norwegian actress Tonje Gjevjon faces up to 3 years in prison for saying men cannot be lesbians

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
A woman in Norway is facing up to three years in prison on criminal hate-speech charges after saying that a man cannot become a lesbian.

Tonje Gjevjon, a lesbian filmmaker and actress, was informed on Nov. 17 that she was under investigation for speaking out against prominent Norwegian activist Christine Jentoft on Facebook. Jentoft is a transgender female that often refers to herself as a lesbian mother.

Jentoft previously accused another woman, Christina Ellingsen, of transphobia for a similar claim. Ellingsen is also under investigation and faces three years in jail if found guilty.

The post on Gjevjon’s Facebook page under investigation read, “It’s just as impossible for men to become a lesbian as it is for men to become pregnant. Men are men regardless of their sexual fetishes.”

Gjevjon has said that she intentionally posted her Facebook message to draw attention to Norway’s hate speech laws.

Gjevjon’s comments appear to be under investigation for falling under a 2020 amendment to the country’s penal code that added “gender identity and gender expression” under protected categories from hate speech. People found guilty of hate speech face a fine or up to one year in prison for private remarks, and a maximum of three years for public comments.

I don't agree with the government going after you directly but I do believe that if your words cause provable/tangible harm, the harmed party should be able to legally go after you.

A woman in Norway is facing up to three years in prison on criminal hate-speech charges after saying that a man cannot become a lesbian.

Tonje Gjevjon, a lesbian filmmaker and actress, was informed on Nov. 17 that she was under investigation for speaking out against prominent Norwegian activist Christine Jentoft on Facebook. Jentoft is a transgender female that often refers to herself as a lesbian mother.

Jentoft previously accused another woman, Christina Ellingsen, of transphobia for a similar claim. Ellingsen is also under investigation and faces three years in jail if found guilty.

The post on Gjevjon’s Facebook page under investigation read, “It’s just as impossible for men to become a lesbian as it is for men to become pregnant. Men are men regardless of their sexual fetishes.”

Gjevjon has said that she intentionally posted her Facebook message to draw attention to Norway’s hate speech laws.

Gjevjon’s comments appear to be under investigation for falling under a 2020 amendment to the country’s penal code that added “gender identity and gender expression” under protected categories from hate speech. People found guilty of hate speech face a fine or up to one year in prison for private remarks, and a maximum of three years for public comments.

So she intentionally broke the law, to "challenge" it, and now thinks she should be exempt from the consequences?

Do you agree with her?

So she intentionally broke the law, to "challenge" it, and now thinks she should be exempt from the consequences?

Do you agree with her?
Wow. One a “free thought” forum someone is actually defending punishment for blasphemy. Fucking clown world.

Do you agree with her?
Wow. One a “free thought” forum someone is actually defending punishment for blasphemy. Fucking clown world.
Well, do you? Feel that she should be immune from legal consequence? If so, on what grounds?

This particular speech would not be against the law in my country (the United States) and I'm alright with that. Our characteristically broad interpretation of free speech has its consequences but that suits our generally libertarian common culture.

But what you cannot have is a system of law in which some people are held to the letter of the law, while others are prosecuted. Norway does have constitutional freedom of speech, and if Gjevjon wished to challenge this law, she could have done so so by using her platform to challenge the legitimacy of the law and call for its legal removal, not by simply breaking it. If one does publically and intentionally break a law - and sometimes, in the course of civil discourse these things must happen - one should expect at the very least to be charged with your crime, which at the moment is all that has happened. She will have her day in court, which seems like the outcome she wanted anyway. Like a protestor blocking an intersection, I'm sure she thinks her actions were justified by her personal ideological commitments. But if you block an intersection and refuse to move, the police will eventually arrest you. Maybe the court will even take the ideological angle into account when it comes to sentencing, though publically stating that she was aware of and fully meant to break the law is probably an action her lawyers would not have recommended as far as that goes. Had they failed to lay charges at all, it would essentially be an admission by the state that its laws are meaningless, that if you're a celebrity you can get away with anything. This is not a stable situation for a country to be in.

Well, do you? Feel that she should be immune from legal consequence? If so, on what grounds?
You really think that’s the purpose of the OP? If Christian Fundamentalists were able to pass laws against denying the divinity of Jesus, you’d be okay if the government prosecuted offenders? I mean, it’d be the law, right?

Facing up to three years in prison on criminal hate-speech charges for saying “It’s just as impossible for men to become a lesbian as it is for men to become pregnant. Men are men regardless of their sexual fetishes” sounds pretty bad alright. Since it's not a topic that fascinates me like it might an LGBTQ person or far right anti-wokester, I will just note that since it looks like three people all accusing each other of violating the same statute, does that mean that SOMEONE is going to jail?
People found guilty of hate speech face a fine or up to one year in prison for private remarks, and a maximum of three years for public comments.
With the ubiquity of recording devices (phones) it should be pretty easy to get enough dirt on almost anyone to at least extort a case of beer out of them, if you know any racists, bigots or anyone who hates anyone...

Do you agree with her?
Civil Disobedience is still a thing.

It's a stupid law. Woke thought police crap. I agree with her on that, as well as the lesbian part.

I don't see her expecting to be exempted from the law, unless it's in the link I've no interest in clicking.
Tom

Scary stuff;
article said:
People found guilty of hate speech face a fine or up to one year in prison for private remarks, and a maximum of three years for public comments.

You really think that’s the purpose of the OP? If Christian Fundamentalists were able to pass laws against denying the divinity of Jesus, you’d be okay if the government prosecuted offenders? I mean, it’d be the law, right?
I would heartily oppose such a law. I might even consider strategically breaking it, much like Gjevjon has done here. But I would do so knowing that a legal case was about to ensue, and accepting to the consequence of my choices. To speak frankly, a person well familiare with the events of my life might fairly claim that I have indeed made some choices in my life that resulted in exceeding certain legal restraints in pursuit of political goals. Sometimes this happens. If you are a good and decent person, sometimes it must happen. But I have never asked anyone to exempt me from having to follow the law at all, to make some special exception for me. Legal systems exist for a reason, and they mean nothing if they are never enforced. If they are only enforced over the "common people",but never for celebrities and politicians, that is a downright undemocratic situation and a danger to the basic functions of state.

Curious, do conservatives only read shitty news sources? NY Post could report the sun would rise in the east, and I'd need to triple source check it. She is under investigation, not arrested, not on trial, not convicted, not looking at prison time.

Regardless:
article said:
Eddie Izzard would disagree with this assessment.

I don't see her expecting to be exempted from the law, unless it's in the link I've no interest in clicking.
Nope, I do not think she did. Her remarks indicate that she was fully aware of, and accepted, the consequences of her actions, and fully expected to be charged with a crime. The only one who seems to object to... something?... was Metaphor, and as he did not make his specific objection clear, so I was inviting him to clarify. Oleg has jumped in accusing me of supporting anti-blasphemy laws, which is not the case. As you say, civil disobedience is still a thing. Although as I said, the right to say shitty things about other people is hardly the hill I would personally be willing to die on, Gjevjon has every right to choose to go to jail for her principal values if she thinks that will be more effective than simply criticizing the law directly (presumably she knows she is championing a minority opinion).

Curious, do conservatives only read shitty news sources? NY Post could report the sun would rise in the east, and I'd need to triple source check it.
Sounds like a derail, but I for one would be interested in a separate thread on "news bubbles". It's suprisingly arduous to avoid getting pencilled in these days.

She is under investigation, not arrested, not on trial, not convicted, not looking at prison time.
Maybe she'll get what she seems to want. Get Norwegians to take a hard look at bad law.

But I don't live there. So I don't have a firm opinion on how Norwegians should run Norway. I'm more concerned about the comparison Oleg mentioned, U.S. Christians trying to legislate their personal opinions into law.
Tom

She is under investigation, not arrested, not on trial, not convicted, not looking at prison time.
Maybe she'll get what she seems to want. Get Norwegians to take a hard look at bad law.
I'm a tad bit more interested in what any of this actually is in the real world... and not the lens of the alt-right... who are the ones covering this like it is Lindbergh Baby trial. The Daily Mail, Fox News, NY Post are leading this story (almost with the exact same verbiage) regarding alleged jail time she is facing as if she were convicted and awaiting sentencing. The reporting by the alt-right sources is grossly prejudicial and in no way is trying to report what is actually happening nor the social significance of it.

Dr. Z might have a better handle on this than Newscorp.

But I have never asked anyone to exempt me from having to follow the law at all, to make some special exception for me.
Dude, this is about criticizing a terrible blasphemy law. Nothing to do with special excpetions. Good grief.

I'm a tad bit more interested in what any of this actually is in the real world... and not the lens of the alt-right... who are the ones covering this like it is Lindbergh Baby trial. The Daily Mail, Fox News, NY Post are leading this story (almost with the exact same verbiage) regarding alleged jail time she is facing as if she were convicted and awaiting sentencing. The reporting by the alt-right sources is grossly prejudicial and in no way is trying to report what is actually happening nor the social significance of it.

Dr. Z might have a better handle on this than Newscorp.
Perhaps if you got out of your bubble you'd see all the stories MSNBC refuses to report on. And ask why.

Sounds like a Norwegeian problem to me. Ok, they have stupid laws on the books. So what? The person maybe facing "up to 3 years" according to the statute, but considering the mildness of the offense, it's more likely going to be a fine. If she gets convicted. If she gets prosecuted. And even the police might be investigating only because one of her like-minded followers reported it for the same reasons she made the comment: to get publicity. She may have even filed the report herself for all we know.

Back
Top Bottom