• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

OK's Double Execution

Davka

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
How is it that none of the stories about this planned execution see fit to mention that both of the condemned men "just happen" to be black?

What I found more interesting/concerning is that the governor decided to ignore a court ordered stay, and tried to execute these men anyway.

Wonder if the conservative bunch will see the hand of their god in what happened next?

How is this a problem? They gave him execution drugs and he died. It sounds like a successful execution.

What I found more interesting/concerning is that the governor decided to ignore a court ordered stay, and tried to execute these men anyway.

Wonder if the conservative bunch will see the hand of their god in what happened next?

What's the point of having capital punishment if we can't execute innocent people? Why do you liberal communo-fasicsts hate our freedom so much? [/conservolibertarian]

How is this a problem? They gave him execution drugs and he died. It sounds like a successful execution.

Americans want to kill with compassion, we don't want to see them suffer. <oxymoron>Humane execution</oxymoron>

I don't actually see that as an oxymoron. We want to kill, remove permanently from society. We don't want to kill _and_ torture.

How is it that none of the stories about this planned execution see fit to mention that both of the condemned men "just happen" to be black?

Why is that relevant? Would it have been better if they had been white?

Oklahoma canceled the second execution after the first one went horribly awry. According to the New York Times, after he'd been declared unconscious, prisoner Clayton D. Locket twitched and gasped and said "man" and "something's wrong," before dying of a heart attack.

Tonight Oklahoma will continue the nation's ongoing experiment in executing people with untested drug combinations as it moves to kill death row inmates Clayton D. Lockett and Charles Warner using a new, secretly acquired drug cocktail.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...ht-ok-using-secret-experimental-drug-protocol

This story is getting air time on Canadian television as well. Aside from the whole debate surrounding capital punishment, if the sentence of death is going to be implemented, then the methodology must be swift and sure. From what has been reported, this execution was anything but well handled. A bullet to the brain would have been kinder. :frown:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/30/oklahoma-execution-botched-clayton-lockett?CMP=twt_gu

The Guardian has a better description

The state of Oklahoma botched one execution and was forced to call off another on Tuesday when a disputed cocktail of drugs failed to kill a condemned prisoner who was left writhing on the gurney.

After the failure of a 20-minute attempt to execute him, Clayton Lockett was left to die of a heart attack in the execution chamber at the Oklahoma state penitentiary in McAlester. A lawyer said Lockett had effectively been "tortured to death".

For three minutes after the first drugs were delivered Lockett struggled violently, groaned and writhed, lifting his shoulders and head from the gurney.

Some 16 minutes after the execution began, and without Lockett being declared dead, the blinds separating the chamber from the viewing room were closed. The process was called off shortly afterwards. Lockett died 43 minutes after the first executions drugs were administered.

That seems overly complex. Why not just use a firing squad and have a guy there with a pistol to put a bullet in the man's head if he somehow survives?

If you're going to kill a guy, what's the point of pretending that you're doing him some kind of favour by being nice about it?

Why is that relevant? Would it have been better if they had been white?

34% of convicted murderers executed are black. (source) The majority of homicide victims are black. (source)

The US justice system disproportionately convicts black men in homicide cases. And even though most murder victims are black, people who kill black victims are FAR less likely to be sentenced to death than people who kill white victims.

In a 1990 report, the non-partisan U.S. General Accounting Office found "a pattern of evidence indicating racial disparities in the charging, sentencing, and imposition of the death penalty." The study concluded that a defendant was several times more likely to be sentenced to death if the murder victim was white. This has been confirmed by the findings of many other studies that, holding all other factors constant, the single most reliable predictor of whether someone will be sentenced to death is the race of the victim. Source

If a white person kills a black person, the perpetrator has a very good chance of being convicted of a lesser charge than murder. If a black person kills a white person, the perpetrator will almost assuredly be convicted of murder, and faces a very good chance of facing the death penalty. We execute black people. We 'reform' white people. Those are the facts, like it or not.

If you still cannot understand the relevance of this thread, perhaps you should move to Nevada and become a cattle rancher.

That seems overly complex. Why not just use a firing squad and have a guy there with a pistol to put a bullet in the man's head if he somehow survives?

If you're going to kill a guy, what's the point of pretending that you're doing him some kind of favour by being nice about it?

I don't get it either. It would be absurdly simple to devise a machine that simultaneously fires multiple bolts into a person's head. Death would be instantaneous. Or we could simply drop a 16-ton weight on the condemned man. Hell, hanging and the guillotine were more humane than any of the newer methods devised.

I oppose the death penalty, but if we're going to do it we should at least do it right.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we should go back to public executions, the guillotine gets my vote.

;)

Only if we re-tool the guillotine to cut right through the head, instead of the neck. Instantaneous death should be the goal.

Surprised? This already happened in Ohio a number of months ago. They just recently came up with a new solution... more drugs!
article said:
The execution witnessed by reporters and McGuire's adult children took about 25 minutes to complete, amid reports that he gasped for an unusually long 15 minutes while clenching his fists and that his stomach had churned up and down visibly.
Some suggested he was faking it. But honestly, it'd be hard to fake such a thing if you were dead.
If a white person kills a black person, the perpetrator has a very good chance of being convicted of a lesser charge than murder. If a black person kills a white person, the perpetrator will almost assuredly be convicted of murder, and faces a very good chance of facing the death penalty. We execute black people. We 'reform' white people. Those are the facts, like it or not.
There is a slight here. A white person convicted of killing a white person also has an elevated chance of the death penalty. You kill a white woman and you might as well give up. The race of the victim matters much more than the race of the perpetrator.

I don't get it either. It would be absurdly simple to devise a machine that simultaneously fires multiple bolts into a person's head. Death would be instantaneous. Or we could simply drop a 16-ton weight on the condemned man. Hell, hanging and the guillotine were more humane than any of the newer methods devised.

I oppose the death penalty, but if we're going to do it we should at least do it right.

It seems to me to be a fairly trivial worry. We want to kill you ... but we want to be nice to you about it.

Surprised? This already happened in Ohio a number of months ago. They just recently came up with a new solution... more drugs!
Some suggested he was faking it. But honestly, it'd be hard to fake such a thing if you were dead.
There is a slight here. A white person convicted of killing a white person also has an elevated chance of the death penalty. You kill a white woman and you might as well give up. The race of the victim matters much more than the race of the perpetrator.

When it comes to getting the death penalty, that's true. But the vast majority of prisoners on death row are never executed. When it comes to actually carrying out the execution, the state seems to have a preference for darker skin.

Which is odd, because the state seems to have a preference for lighter skin in almost every other instance. Go figure.

It seems to me to be a fairly trivial worry. We want to kill you ... but we want to be nice to you about it.

Oh, come on - Canadians are the nicest people in the world! You're trying to tell me you wouldn't say "please" and "thank you" while bashing someone's head in? I ain't buying it.

This is why I did see Kim-something-something North Korea shooting a artillery shell into a his uncle to be all that bad for an execution. Pretty instantaneous.

Back
Top Bottom