• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Olympics off to a swell start

c3f8efaf878f389628202f2c69840715

Team USA's Noah Lyles contracted COVID-19 at the Summer Olympics, managed to win bronze in the 200-meter final and is considering not running in the upcoming 4x100-meter relay, he said Thursday.
That sucks!

‘Total humiliation’: Jakob Ingebrigtsen’s 1500m

Jakob Ingebrigtsen failed to deliver the gold medal he had confidently predicted...
Great bunch, the Norwegians, but you wouldn’t like them when they’re angry...
Was it really total humiliation? The US were rock stars for the 1500 m finals. I liked how it was actually a race. I hate the slow starts. Run to win. Ingebrigtsen just didn't have it that day. Each of those runners are absurdly awesome!

‘Total humiliation’: Jakob Ingebrigtsen’s 1500m

Jakob Ingebrigtsen failed to deliver the gold medal he had confidently predicted...
Great bunch, the Norwegians, but you wouldn’t like them when they’re angry...
Was it really total humiliation? The US were rock stars for the 1500 m finals. I liked how it was actually a race. I hate the slow starts. Run to win. Ingebrigtsen just didn't have it that day. Each of those runners are absurdly awesome!
I agree. Weird was the reaction of the Norwegian public, who apparently got bullshit at this guy for not winning
this time around...People have great expectations, and their pride is wounded and they over react...I see a lot of that in the Olympic games. There's a lot of nationalistic pride involved...:rolleyes: I mean I understand it, but the extremes are a bit much...

GettyImages-2166082581-1723234693.jpg

Gold medallists of Team Spain pose for a photo after the men’s football medal ceremony during the Olympic Games Paris 2024 at Parc des Princes [Harriet Lander/Getty Images]

Last edited:

Team USA's Noah Lyles contracted COVID-19 at the Summer Olympics, managed to win bronze in the 200-meter final and is considering not running in the upcoming 4x100-meter relay, he said Thursday.

I thought it was shady of Lyles to hide his covid and compete. The announcers were saying how it was his choice to run and it was so "gutsy" of him to do so. It was impressive to get a medal while so sick, but he did it while endangering the health and chances of his teammates. His covid probably cost him gold and now it could cost someone else as well.

I would say it could have cost a medal in the 4x100 but USA always throw that one away regardless anyway. It should be a layup of a gold medal and they clank it every time.

What idiot came up with that and called it a sport? It's Showgirls in a pool.

Not at all, artistic swimming may be the most impressive athletic performance of the whole competition. All judging sports suck though.

An Australian gets perverse delight in beating (in the following order) certain countries
1. NZ
2. UK
3. USA

Congrats to the Aust. Women's water polo for beating the Yanks. :hysterical::floofsmile:
It only matters in sports that we care about. Water polo, equestrian, wall climbing, fencing... don't care.

Except for the constant arbitrary penalties, water polo is the best.

An Australian gets perverse delight in beating (in the following order) certain countries
1. NZ
2. UK
3. USA

Congrats to the Aust. Women's water polo for beating the Yanks. :hysterical::floofsmile:

Ahem

And

The USA-Serbia mens bball game was the most intense game I've seen from USA. A fun, satisfying win. Serbia led by double digits most of the game, US didn't lead till about 2 minutes to go. Curry and Embid came up huge after being quiet all tournament. Clutch scores by Lebron and Durant at the end. Serbia was hot for 3 quarters but faltered in the fourth. The other teams can keep up and outscore the US for stretches by getting hot from 3, but they need to do it for the whole game to win, the US is too consistent in getting their points without relying on the 3. That goes for the women's team too.

And now the best of breaking at the Olympics...

This has to be the most iconic moment of the Paris Olympics. ,

I wonder, is this deliberate and does Australia hate breakdancing so much that they never want to see it come back to the Olympics again?

That's kind of painful to watch. Is it supposed to be serious? It looks like the sort of temper tantrum theatrics a little kid would do if he doesn't get what he wants. I thought you were supposed to spin around on your head and stuff like that.

This has to be the most iconic moment of the Paris Olympics. ,

I wonder, is this deliberate and does Australia hate breakdancing so much that they never want to see it come back to the Olympics again?

That's hilarious!
Break Dancing? I think that broke dancing, PERMANENTLY!
Love the onlookers' faces! :hysterical:

The USA-Serbia mens bball game was the most intense game I've seen from USA. A fun, satisfying win. Serbia led by double digits most of the game, US didn't lead till about 2 minutes to go. Curry and Embid came up huge after being quiet all tournament. Clutch scores by Lebron and Durant at the end. Serbia was hot for 3 quarters but faltered in the fourth. The other teams can keep up and outscore the US for stretches by getting hot from 3, but they need to do it for the whole game to win, the US is too consistent in getting their points without relying on the 3. That goes for the women's team too.
At last someone besides me on the board who appreciates basketball, for at least one game! I am really looking forward to the gold medal game, which starts in about 3 1/2 hours as I write this. Watching women's soccer now.

At last someone besides me on the board who appreciates basketball, for at least one game! I am really looking forward to the gold medal game, which starts in about 3 1/2 hours as I write this. Watching women's soccer now.
I got turned off by the “Dream Team” talk. These guys would lose by 20 to the originals.

I thought it was shady of Lyles to hide his covid and compete. The announcers were saying how it was his choice to run and it was so "gutsy" of him to do so. It was impressive to get a medal while so sick, but he did it while endangering the health and chances of his teammates. His covid probably cost him gold and now it could cost someone else as well.

I would say it could have cost a medal in the 4x100 but USA always throw that one away regardless anyway. It should be a layup of a gold medal and they clank it every time.
Who?...Who?...CANADA! That's who...

I got turned off by the “Dream Team” talk. These guys would lose by 20 to the originals.
Let's not get started on a LeBron vs MJ discussion. The game is a different game today and the international competition far superior today, thanks in large part to the original dream team

Back
Top Bottom