• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Opinion: The twisted irony in Alabama’s court decision on embryos

The biggest problem with the ruling is that it very much implies birth control (daily pill) is illegal.

Where do they go from here? Personhood for gametes? Criminalize sex on unapproved days? Make “Failure to videotape sexual acts so law enforcement can verify that they’re legal” a felony?
These folks are so slimy … it’s downright fucking midieval. They’d like to see the heads of Trump’s critics on pikes surrounding his Magalardo Fortress. Literally
There’s gotta be something in the water…

Alabama's HB 9
(Excerpted from the Goings On About Town column in The Montgomery Daily Discharge, 2/10/23)
This bill, otherwise called the Defense of the Womb and Fetal Autonomy Act, would institutionalize basic concepts of fetal rights in the state. Key provisions:
> Tax credits for fetal home schooling if approved materials are taught (example: Left Behind series on CD, read by Amy Grant)
> Designation of the uterus as protected state sanctuary; fetus is allowed to have CSX micro-compact 9 mm. handgun as soon as webbed fingers appear (week 8)
> All IVF facilities to post Psalm 51:5 in prominent location ('Behold, I was shapen in iniquity and in sin did my mother conceive me')
> By week 6 fetus is presumed mentally endowed and may sue Danco Laboratories in state fetal court for manufacture of Mifepristone
> Testing for hermaphrodite zygotes to be conducted at all IVFs; any such zygotes found will be segregated from 'normal' freezer units and subject to Pre-Gay Conversion Therapy (PGCT) under supervision of Dr. Thaddeus Bulhumphrey
> No drag shows within 5 miles of an IVF clinic, OB/GYN clinic, or Baby Gap
> The following books/books on CD are banned from IVF clinics and/or fetal education programs (list is not all-inclusive):
Any of the Fabulous Fetus series, on gay celebs in utero, i.e., Unborn Clay Aiken: Achin' to Get Out; Over the Rainbow Flag: Judy Garland On Stage In Utero; Ru Paul in the Oven: Who Do I Have to Blow to Get Outta Here; et al.
The Panic Womb: Twins Bumpin' Genital Buds (pop-up book)
Seizing the Moment: I Was Born Breach, and My Hot Twin Wasn't
Robert or Roberta? The Enduring Mystery of Robert E. Lee's Auxiliary Vagina
The First Stonewall Riot: Stonewall Jackson and the CSA LGBTQ Infantry Slamdance
Fashion Uterus: Decorate Your First Home in Fabulous Colors and Fabrics

These books are OUT!

Where do they go from here? Personhood for gametes? Criminalize sex on unapproved days? Make “Failure to videotape sexual acts so law enforcement can verify that they’re legal” a felony?
These folks are so slimy … it’s downright fucking midieval. They’d like to see the heads of Trump’s critics on pikes surrounding his Magalardo Fortress. Literally
There’s gotta be something in the water…
The next step is banning "the pill" and any form of medicinal birth control. SCOTUS might still do that on their own.

It is getting real, and while a post Roe world was making elections more interesting, this Alabama case might change the tides, even in the heavily gerrymandered United States. It might be possible that every Statewide election could become about women and fertility. The Democrats might gain control of Congress and retain control of the White House. The Dems could win seats that weren't considered competitive.

It might be possible that every Statewide election could become about women and fertility. The Democrats might gain control of Congress and retain control of the White House. The Dems could win seats that weren't considered competitive.

If the Dems can make it about women and fertility will a little bit of save democracy thrown in for educational value, every election SHOULD be about that and they SHOULD take over the government. But the mere fact that Trump is even or ahead in so many polls tells me that Trump voters - even those few who aren't necessarily cultists - have such low information levels, high tolerance for cognitive dissonance and a nearly unlimited ability to compartmentalize things, that they're not going to change their votes. Or perhaps, hopefully, it will only not change what they tell pollsters, and they're just as disingenuous about what they're telling pollsters as they are about almost everything else.

"Orange Jesus alone can fix it - I don't even need to know what it is, except that there are bad people and he's going to get them. Amen"

Well then the lab can certainly drop them at the parents’ house, then, amirite?
I don't think that would be permitted as the parents will not have the ability to care for the kids.
Not their problem.
These are your kids, the daycare is closing. You will need to hurry and find care.

It is getting real, and while a post Roe world was making elections more interesting, this Alabama case might change the tides, even in the heavily gerrymandered United States. It might be possible that every Statewide election could become about women and fertility. T
I'm sincerely hoping that the DNC realize this and are planning it.

I wish they were the sort of masterminds that steal elections without leaving a trace. It seems more often that they can't find their asses with both hands and will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Like 2016.
If they can't make political hay out of the post RvW world...
Tom

The rich and powerful in the new theocracy don't really need IVF anyway. Any wealthy couple with childbearing problems can just hire a surrogate mother.

It'll all work out. Trust me.
Or rent them, or just have them be government issue. We could even give them nifty hats, and maybe fancy dresses.
I know you are joking but tbh, this is surely on the way. I easily foresee incarcerated women or those who are threatened with such incarceration or who require state subsidies for food and shelter to be required to serve as surrogates. Perhaps be required to be impregnated by Mr.

The future counterparts of Ingersoll, Mencken, and Hitchens will have a rich vein of material here -- how the evangelicals, in their crusade to enshrine the sanctity of life and the Christian moral vision in our laws, accepted the leadership of the number one slimeball and degenerate in our republic -- Donaldus Magnus Cloaca.

Welp, right now, even Republicans are scrambling to legalize IVF in Alabama. I think it is a big mistake to only allow a mere carved out exception for IVF treatment. On the one hand they're saying a woman cannot terminate a zygote or an embryo with various birth control because that murders an unborn baby...but it's okay if IVF doctors murder so-called unborn babies because .... um .... everone made ... fun of these jackasses?

If the concept stinks, which it does, throw it out!

Realistically, though, I hope the Alabama Democrats get into the IVF legislation and try to make it about more than IVF, try to minimize this definition as much as possible.

The rich and powerful in the new theocracy don't really need IVF anyway. Any wealthy couple with childbearing problems can just hire a surrogate mother.

Or rent them, or just have them be government issue. We could even give them nifty hats, and maybe fancy dresses.
I know you are joking but tbh, this is surely on the way. I easily foresee incarcerated women or those who are threatened with such incarceration or who require state subsidies for food and shelter to be required to serve as surrogates. Perhaps be required to be impregnated by Mr.
My joke was to imply this, yes.

It's going to be so ugly.

My joke was to imply this, yes.

It's going to be so ugly.
Yeah, I want to hit like but …..

The future counterparts of Ingersoll, Mencken, and Hitchens will have a rich vein of material here -- how the evangelicals, in their crusade to enshrine the sanctity of life and the Christian moral vision in our laws, accepted the leadership of the number one slimeball and degenerate in our republic -- Donaldus Magnus Cloaca.
I hope they reference Margaret Atwood.

I don't think that the main goal of the Alabama Supreme Court decision was to stop IVF pregnancies. In fact, the Alabama legislature and governor have all endorsed writing new law to protect it. The idea was to eliminate abortions in pregnant women. The problem is that they still have to then explain how it is that abortions should be illegal, because they are not OK with killing human life, but they are ok with killing human embryos outside the womb in order to bring about an IVF pregnancy. It will be interesting to see how they thread the needle on that one. The Alabama judges won't have to grapple with that problem, because they just handed the Republican Party a flaming bag of election year dog poop. Their job is now done.

I recommend taking a look at this article.

I already know about Tom Parker. I don't need to revisit him. My recommendation would be to find some less depressing way to spend one's time. The fact that someone that reactionary can be taken at all seriously is extremely depressing.

I recommend taking a look at this article.

I already know about Tom Parker. I don't need to revisit him. My recommendation would be to find some less depressing way to spend one's time. The fact that someone that reactionary can be taken at all seriously is extremely depressing.

I am not as much depressed as concerned. The thing that is concerning to me, personally, is that he is representative of a movement. It sounds a lot like the Christian version of what conservatives were screaming about before, i.e. sharia law. While it makes me wonder about that "every accusation is a projection" thread, the thing I wonder about more is energy of these people. I mean, one could get depressed that they have energy, motivation and even traction, especially in conservative states, but I hope we can all get equally energized to fight for our freedoms. His call to arms that embryos are children should be a wakeup call for us, too.

Back
Top Bottom