• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Parents horrified after priest used teen's funeral to condemn suicide

You asked why suicide should be condemned.
I said because human life is not worthless. (There's both secular and religious arguments for this position.)
That is a sound argument unless you, (for some reason,) reject the premise that human life has worth.

I agree with you that human life is not worthless, but our reasons for assigning value to our existence are very different.

You seem to believe that our lives are the property of your god, and this god gets to decide what our lives are worth, and when to create or extinguish it. We have no say in the matter, therefore you condemn suicide. This is the mentality of a slave.

I don't see myself as a slave. I believe that human life is a very rare natural occurrence in a vast universe that is mostly devoid of intelligent, self-aware life. Therefore, our existence is very precious, and we have a duty to preserve it to the best of our ability. We are the universe become aware of itself (you mentioned Brian Cox somewhere else, and this quote from one of his books resonates with me ). However, I am not opposed to people choosing to end their own lives. Our lives are our own and only we should get to decide what to do with it. Again,I don't see myself as a slave.

Good post. Respect for autonomy is a reflection of that value on human life. If people are just slaves belonging to a tyrant, that tyrant is not going to be humane in their rules. Respect for that individual's autonomy is not inspired by black and white judgment that does not and cannot recognize the complexities of human experience.

Don't forget that Christians are to value the unquestioned rules over human worth. Humans are shit, unworthy of love and empathy, worthy only of excruciating eternal suffering, if they don't conform to the tyrant's desires and rules. This is one of the most heinous of religious concepts as human beings, especially little ones, have little defense against the psychological effects of abusive self-loathing indoctrination and shaming. You can cause a human being to experience deep shame and self hatred when they've done absolutely nothing to deserve it. This is Christianity. This is how such backward social dominance cultures thrive and control.

How else would we expect anyone under such an inhumane concept of humanness to think about suicide? It's not going to be about the person's suffering or their autonomy, that's for sure.

Last edited:
…Humans are shit, unworthy of love and empathy, worthy only of excruciating eternal suffering, if they don't conform to the tyrant's desires and rules.

Speak for yourself.

And in any case that's unscriptural.

a) God's rules are for our benefit not His and His desire is that we treat each other precisely as though human life DOES have worth. Who suffers when humans devalue the lives of other humans? We do.

b) God extends grace and forgiveness to those who disobey Him. Why would He do that if we were the sort of unworthy excrement you describe? Yes, He eventually punishes unrepentant evil doers. And if He did not, then the victims of those evil doers would be able to accuse God of not valuing human life.

…Humans are shit, unworthy of love and empathy, worthy only of excruciating eternal suffering, if they don't conform to the tyrant's desires and rules.

Speak for yourself.

And in any case that's unscriptural.

a) God's rules are for our benefit not His and His desire is that we treat each other precisely as though human life DOES have worth. Who suffers when humans devalue the lives of other humans? We do.

b) God extends grace and forgiveness to those who disobey Him. Why would He do that if we were the sort of unworthy excrement you describe? Yes, He eventually punishes unrepentant evil doers. And if He did not, then the victims of those evil doers would be able to accuse God of not valuing human life.

What's with the eventually part? If you see someone raping a child and your response is "Well, I'm definitely going to get around to doing something about that in seven or eight decades", you don't get to call yourself the good guy.

If he's planning on punishing evil doers, why not punish them at a time when the punishment would actually make a difference? Attempted child rape leads to sudden and rapid onset of penis cancer, for instance.

Meh.
That's simply a rehash of the
...why doesn't God just not allow rapists to exist in the first place argument.

Meh.

Given the lack of a decent response to that argument, rehashes are appropriate. It's not like it's an equivalent to the "Oh god, you're just rehashing the whole 'what does two plus two equal?' argument".

I would personally intervene in any attempted rapes I become aware of. So far, that number totals one. If I became aware of another one I'd be able to intervene in, that number would either become two or I'd lose the ability to refer to myself as a moral person. If God wishes us to refer to him as moral and yet he is aware of all the rapes going on and is able to intervene in them but does not, I don't see the rationale in referring to him as moral.

Meh.

Why does an omnipotent God choose to allow children to be raped, sometimes by representatives of his own church? You are able to dismiss the question casually because your religious indoctrination has desensitized you to human suffering, and because you believe you are not permitted to question God's plan. It is ironic that you have been arguing that human lives are worth a lot to God, while pretending that children getting raped is really not a big deal, and God will get around to the accounting some day, if and when he feels like it. This is the mentality of a slave.

Most humans would give up their lives to protect their children from harm, while God watches from his heavenly perch and does nothing. Christians call this love. Can you imagine anything more perverse?

Meh.

How can it be a rehash if you never answer it, nor does any other christian?

Yes, He eventually punishes unrepentant evil doers.
Note that if the evildoers say, "ope! Sorry!" then they are not punished at all. So, the deterrent effect is, shall we say, muted.

Recall that Lion, or any Christian, cannot assert that the most heinous criminals in our planet's history were kept from the heaven Lion claims exists. Because, as far as Lion knows, they thought, with their last think, "ope! Sorry!" and were immediately rewarded - and Lion shall dine with them and smile at their non-punishment.

Who thinks that? It doesn't make any sense. Lion seems to hold beliefs that one would *expect* Christian's to hold.
Uh, isn't that exactly what a con man would aim to do?

I am pretty sure Lion is legit in his faith though. I don't see what is so execrable about disfavoring euthanasia tbh. I mean, it's not my position but it's hardly an unreasonable one even if one disagrees. Obviously, people and societies come to different conclusions about when the end of a life is acceptable.

Sure. But you can always play this game. Is this person sincere in statement of belief X? Well, wouldn't that be *exactly what someone pretending to believe X would say?"

People and societies come to different conclusions all the time. And disallowing all suicide is contemptible.

Now, you are playing the (quite typical anthropologist's) game of "Well, people and societies come to different conclusions regarding blah blah blah".

OK, yeah. I could say the same thing about something you find contemptible, I'm sure. Many people and societies are contemptible.

It's just simply not a good argument.

Who thinks that? It doesn't make any sense. Lion seems to hold beliefs that one would *expect* Christian's to hold.
Uh, isn't that exactly what a con man would aim to do?

I am pretty sure Lion is legit in his faith though. I don't see what is so execrable about disfavoring euthanasia tbh. I mean, it's not my position but it's hardly an unreasonable one even if one disagrees. Obviously, people and societies come to different conclusions about when the end of a life is acceptable.

Sure. But you can always play this game. Is this person sincere in statement of belief X? Well, wouldn't that be *exactly what someone pretending to believe X would say?"

People and societies come to different conclusions all the time. And disallowing all suicide is contemptible.

Now, you are playing the (quite typical anthropologist's) game of "Well, people and societies come to different conclusions regarding blah blah blah".

OK, yeah. I could say the same thing about something you find contemptible, I'm sure. Many people and societies are contemptible.

It's just simply not a good argument.

It's not an argument, just an obvious fact. Someone's views on an issue are not made either right or wrong by it.

The idea that some people and societies are "generally good" and others wholly "contemptible" is an individually comforting but socially damaging myth.

But my point is that I don't see what is so unreasonable about Lion's position in this case. I don't agree with it, but I can easily see where he is coming from. I mean, everyone is afraid of death, and in various ways and certain contexts tries to suspend its arrival. You and he have simply chosen different battlegrounds within which to express this universal urge.

I don't see what is so execrable about disfavoring euthanasia tbh. I mean, it's not my position but it's hardly an unreasonable one even if one disagrees.

Obviously, people and societies come to different conclusions about when the end of a life is acceptable.

J842P has several good points here.

1. Yes, disallowing all euthenasia _is_ contemptible. It is indeed an unreasonable position.
  • If you were to target a person, and stab them in the stomach multiple times daily, keeping them alive to suffer for a year until you finally kill them, you would be a monster.. There are diseases which do exactly that. The person knows they will die from it, it is hot sharp pain every day, until they finally die. A person who would not let them end their life would be, in effect, choosing to torture that victim. A person not letting them die would be a monster.
  • If you were to target a person and kidnap them, hitting them in the head to steal their memory, extorting ransom from their family until the family is destitute and then killing your victim, you would be, again, a monster. There are diseases which do that. A person not letting that victim choose a dignified death that saves their family anguish and ruin, would aalso be a monster.
  • There are diseases that make a person live with anguish and pain and dispair. Many people live with this and fight it their whole lives. ANd sometimes, after decades, they say, “I am tired. I cannot fight any more. I want to rest.” And while we can offer them every thing at our disposal to help them cope, they have the right to say, “thank you. Thank you for everything. I am done trying now, done fighting. It was a hell of a battle and now I must rest.”

• And yes it is A bad argument to say that just because some society somewhere condones it, that means it can’t be “contemptible.” But Slavery is sort of exhibit-A for that, isn’t it? A society’s acceptance of an act does not make that act a “reasonable people can disagree about this” kind of act.

Post #62: "<God's> desire is that we treat each other precisely as though human life DOES have worth..."

Deut 20:17 Completely destroy them -- the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites -- as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Joshua 6:21 They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it -- men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys.

Joshua 8:1-2 Then the Lord said to Joshua... You shall do to Ai and its king what you did to Jericho and its king, except that you may plunder and carry off the livestock for yourself.

Men and women, young and old ---- stabbed and hacked with swords. You can have this deity. The difference between 'him' and Charlie Manson is that Manson only ordered about eight or nine 'hack 'em to pieces' killings.
I know, when God commands genocide, it's holy.

Post #62: "<God's> desire is that we treat each other precisely as though human life DOES have worth..."

Deut 20:17 Completely destroy them -- the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites -- as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Joshua 6:21 They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it -- men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys.

Joshua 8:1-2 Then the Lord said to Joshua... You shall do to Ai and its king what you did to Jericho and its king, except that you may plunder and carry off the livestock for yourself.

Men and women, young and old ---- stabbed and hacked with swords. You can have this deity. The difference between 'him' and Charlie Manson is that Manson only ordered about eight or nine 'hack 'em to pieces' killings.

You really do have to override your humanity to maintain the belief that Bible God is anything but murderous and evil.

Of course, once again, the god-concept is just human psychology at play. It's for people who prefer to avoid self-reflection and questioning that are required for developing a moral conscience.

It's not an argument, just an obvious fact. Someone's views on an issue are not made either right or wrong by it.

The idea that some people and societies are "generally good" and others wholly "contemptible" is an individually comforting but socially damaging myth.
I cannot tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or if you are just, as is typical of anthropologists, incapable of seeing the performative contradiction that you keep committing.

On one hand, you say one shouldn't make some value judgement, because "other people and cultures come to different conclusions". In fact, you call it a myth that people or societies can even be contemptible or good. I'm not sure how making a value judgement can be a myth, that just seems like a category error to me, but OK. I expect you are more of an expert on myths than I am.

But the you immediately proceed to make a value judgement, that this myth is socially damaging.

In what way is it socially damaging? Indeed societies and people come to various different conclusions than you that the idea that individuals can be contemptible or good is socially damaging.

It must be very comforting for you to believe that people cannot be good or contemptible.
But my point is that I don't see what is so unreasonable about Lion's position in this case. I don't agree with it, but I can easily see where he is coming from. I mean, everyone is afraid of death, and in various ways and certain contexts tries to suspend its arrival. You and he have simply chosen different battlegrounds within which to express this universal urge.
Lion is not expressing any universal urge. Lion is repeating a dogma handed down by a bunch of sexually repressed old virgins about what some ancient Canaanite god presumably thinks about the matter (even though they say they are Roman, I know, it is confusing).

Now, not everyone is afraid of death or fears dying.

I do.

But I try to not let my base fears influence my actions to the point that I act immorally. If a dog gets run over in the street, its entrails hanging out and its legs flattened, you aren't going to sit there and let it suffer if you have the means to end its life quickly. If I refused to do it because of my fear of death, I would be a coward and I would be acting immorally.

This is pretty much basic human decency. If we cannot agree that it is merciful and kind to put this dog out of its misery, then we really cannot agree on anything, and it is best to stop the conversation here.

Similarly, if I were run over and horribly mangled, and I am begging for a coup de grace because I know I'm surely going to die, just slowly, then you would be acting immorally if you had the means to do it but wouldn't do the act. If that were the case, I suspect you would either be like Lion, repeating a dogma without using your brain or heart, or, you could just be a coward, much like the sorts of people that are perfectly willing to put a sticky mouse trap out, but aren't willing to kill the animal once it is in the trap.

If I were dying from some painful terminal disease, and you refused me even access to the means to end my life without pain, then, you would be again either a coward or unthinking/unfeeling or merely enraptured by some dogma handed down by robed men. And yes, you would be acting contemptibly.

Now, I don't think Lion is a "wholly contemptible" person because of this. I kind of like Lion. Just for the record.

I cannot tell if you are being purposefully obtuse or if you are just, as is typical of anthropologists, incapable of seeing the performative contradiction that you keep committing.

On one hand, you say one shouldn't make some value judgement, because "other people and cultures come to different conclusions". In fact, you call it a myth that people or societies can even be contemptible or good. I'm not sure how making a value judgement can be a myth, that just seems like a category error to me, but OK. I expect you are more of an expert on myths than I am.

But the you immediately proceed to make a value judgement, that this myth is socially damaging.

In what way is it socially damaging? Indeed societies and people come to various different conclusions than you that the idea that individuals can be contemptible or good is socially damaging.

It must be very comforting for you to believe that people cannot be good or contemptible.
Lion is not expressing any universal urge. Lion is repeating a dogma handed down by a bunch of sexually repressed old virgins about what some ancient Canaanite god presumably thinks about the matter (even though they say they are Roman, I know, it is confusing).

Now, not everyone is afraid of death or fears dying.

I do.

But I try to not let my base fears influence my actions to the point that I act immorally. If a dog gets run over in the street, its entrails hanging out and its legs flattened, you aren't going to sit there and let it suffer if you have the means to end its life quickly. If I refused to do it because of my fear of death, I would be a coward and I would be acting immorally.

This is pretty much basic human decency. If we cannot agree that it is merciful and kind to put this dog out of its misery, then we really cannot agree on anything, and it is best to stop the conversation here.

Similarly, if I were run over and horribly mangled, and I am begging for a coup de grace because I know I'm surely going to die, just slowly, then you would be acting immorally if you had the means to do it but wouldn't do the act. If that were the case, I suspect you would either be like Lion, repeating a dogma without using your brain or heart, or, you could just be a coward, much like the sorts of people that are perfectly willing to put a sticky mouse trap out, but aren't willing to kill the animal once it is in the trap.

If I were dying from some painful terminal disease, and you refused me even access to the means to end my life without pain, then, you would be again either a coward or unthinking/unfeeling or merely enraptured by some dogma handed down by robed men. And yes, you would be acting contemptibly.

Now, I don't think Lion is a "wholly contemptible" person because of this. I kind of like Lion. Just for the record.

I don't actually disagree with your viewpoint on euthanasia here. It is a decision I had to partially make for someone once, to my regret. But I also understood why not everyone in the family was okay with our choice, and do not think it is unreasonable or surprising that there are variations of opinion on this. Shouting insults around and accusing people of either murder or torture (depending on your positioning) is not the most productive way to respond to a situation where two people disagree on the beginning or end of a meaningful life. There is no objective measure of either viewpoint, only a plethora of social and religious perspectives that have had centuries to take root.

I think you are trying to ascribe to me a general principle of moral relativism, which I do not in fact subscribe to (nor do most anthropologists btw). Whereas I see it as uniquely important to understand here because culture has such a dominant role in creating differing definitions of "murder". There's just no pragmatic point, in such a crowded field of opinion, of insisting on moral absolutism. What does it be gain us to pretend that an obviously arbitrary marker is the ONLY logical/moral/acceptable guidepost? This is an arena where mature, honest and earnest conversation is needed. Would be, even if everyone agreed on the parameters. And you can't have that if you aren't prepared on some level to respect the autonomy and validity of all perspectives that are going to be brought to the table.

Yeah you make a good point.
When you put it that way, I suppose God kills all of us - eventually.

"...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

You can go and hang out with Tom Sawyer and rhea and Angry Floof and the "It's-not-fair" crew.

As for me, I will argue that God has a moral justification for intervening to hasten the end of wars started by humans.

Yeah you make a good point.
When you put it that way, I suppose God kills all of us - eventually.

"...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

You can go and hang out with Tom Sawyer and rhea and Angry Floof and the "It's-not-fair" crew.

As for me, I will argue that God has a moral justification for intervening to hasten the end of wars started by humans.

We're the "it's not fair crew"??? We are the ones who accept reality here. We are the ones who are NOT forfeiting our conscience in this life in the hope of a magical eternity.

What's not fair is the god-concept in the heads of believers. We're ok with reality, fair or not. We don't imagine reality to be a magical human who will make all the unfairness go away.

You are hilarious, you know that?

How does killing everyone help anyone?

This is how God created us! You said so yourself that God programmed our DNA, and our DNA controls our behavior to a large part. God kills us because we behave the way we were programmed to behave?

You can go and hang out with Tom Sawyer and rhea and the "It's-not-fair" crew.

Being fair has nothing to do with it. People are still fighting wars and killing each other. What did the mass murders and genocide accomplish?

They taught me that humans shouldn't start wars.

Well, that’s just straight up cowardice. While we can, of course, hide behind the Kilgons and have them take the blame for starting shit, it’s not polite interplanetary relations to do so.

Well, that’s just straight up cowardice. While we can, of course, hide behind the Kilgons and have them take the blame for starting shit, it’s not polite interplanetary relations to do so.

Maybe God could exterminate all the Klingons with a giant flood. That would teach them!

Back
Top Bottom