• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Parents Of School Shooter Charged

Not trying to be funny. I'm dead serious, but America needs to make metal detectors at the main entrance standard (like they currently do in some predominantly black schools) and all other entrances converted to exits only. They can even add the obligatory bob-wired fences to help prevent (or delay) unauthorized access.
You are aware children use Chromebooks for school, right? Wouldn't that be a problem for metal detectors?

Part of the solution is that people with guns don't let their kids get access to them so they can murder people. But that'd be tyranny I suppose. Sure, people are dead, but people die all the time... like in a pandemic.

Yup. These days people tend to haul around a decent amount of stuff that sets off metal detectors.

You are aware children use Chromebooks for school, right? Wouldn't that be a problem for metal detectors?

Nah. That’s why God invented baskets.

TSA at work. There's a reason I send my wife through first, then put our stuff on the belt.

Wow, yall really have no idea how some black schools run security. For example, I went to Central Islip high school in Long Island NY back in late 90's. There was a lot of racial tension for a good summer there. Anyhow, they had the equivalent to what you see at US courthouses. A fully staffed security personnel. One in a golf kart constantly patrolling outside and two at the main entrance with tables where kids put anything that would set off the detector for review. It was like being at the airport every morning.

My wife works for a school system. She says that metal detectors might be somewhat effective, but that if someone really wants to shoot up the school, they can get weapons through a window or sneak them inside some other way. Metal detectors, then, seem to be there for day-to-day stuff that doesn't have sophisticated planning. [That's my conclusion, not hers.] She also says that her biggest fear is when the kids are outside., not inside...like say a planned catastrophe by first pulling the fire alarm to make the kids targets outside. The other day a black pickup truck with tinted windows drove onto school property in the back of the school while the kids were having recess. Apparently, the guy wanted to walk his dog on the grass nearby, but this freaked her out because there is not currently a fence or chain or anything blocking vehicles due to someone else breaking the chain and poor funding to get it replaced asap. Teachers, students, and other school employees probably have a bit of PTSD and get triggered by these kinds of things.

I like the idea of a manned metal detector at every entrance.
Someone should be checking the kids to make sure their guns aren’t loaded.

My wife works for a school system. She says that metal detectors might be somewhat effective, but that if someone really wants to shoot up the school, they can get weapons through a window or sneak them inside some other way. Metal detectors, then, seem to be there for day-to-day stuff that doesn't have sophisticated planning. [That's my conclusion, not hers.] She also says that her biggest fear is when the kids are outside., not inside...like say a planned catastrophe by first pulling the fire alarm to make the kids targets outside. The other day a black pickup truck with tinted windows drove onto school property in the back of the school while the kids were having recess. Apparently, the guy wanted to walk his dog on the grass nearby, but this freaked her out because there is not currently a fence or chain or anything blocking vehicles due to someone else breaking the chain and poor funding to get it replaced asap. Teachers, students, and other school employees probably have a bit of PTSD and get triggered by these kinds of things.

My HS Go-Kart security dude was dubbed supercop because in a situation like that he would have been all over that person already. All windows were locked and can only be opened from the inside of a classroom. There have been attempts to ditch the school VIA window during study hall (I was a culprit) and it was very difficult (but not impossible) to get past supercop from the inside but from the outside coming in you had no chance to enter the building without facing super-kart cop or the other super cops at the front entrance. None of the other doors opened from the outside. Also if I recalled correctly once class was in session the front doors wouldn't open without an officer buzzing you in any way.

Once the racial tensions decreased (this was after I got kicked out in the late 90's) I learned they had done away with a lot of the security that was in place. Not sure if my school is still doing it today, but with school shootings happening more often across the country, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing something similar now.

Edit: Central Islip High did not use bobbed-wired fencing. The one I personally know of was an elementary school in the Bronx I went to.

Nah. That’s why God invented baskets.

TSA at work. There's a reason I send my wife through first, then put our stuff on the belt.

Wow, yall really have no idea how some black schools run security. For example, I went to Central Islip high school in Long Island NY back in late 90's. There was a lot of racial tension for a good summer there. Anyhow, they had the equivalent to what you see at US courthouses. A fully staffed security personnel. One in a golf kart constantly patrolling outside and two at the main entrance with tables where kids put anything that would set off the detector for review. It was like being at the airport every morning.

You missed my point.

I'm saying it's a big opportunity for people to steal other people's stuff.

People steal stuff from baskets in airports?
How? it's all on video.
I am asking for a friend.

Yup. These days people tend to haul around a decent amount of stuff that sets off metal detectors.
My belt doesn't (depending on the sensitivity setting of the detector). I don't have a phone. I always put wallet and keys inside my carry-on.

But every time i go through the airport, they need to pat down the area of the watch pocket. Three layers of Levis is suspiciously dense, apparently.

School district faces two $100M suits after Oxford shootings

Yeah. It's the school's fault. This is their job now. We have a fucked up kid with a gun. Fucked up parents who would give their fucked up kid a gun. Out of control social media, no emotionally developing child should have to navigate. Fucked up state and federal politicians who enable this shit. And an out of touch Supreme Court with blood on their hands. Well, the school system is a quick payday.

Yeah. It's the school's fault. This is their job now. We have a fucked up kid with a gun. Fucked up parents who would give their fucked up kid a gun. Out of control social media, no emotionally developing child should have to navigate. Fucked up state and federal politicians who enable this shit. And an out of touch Supreme Court with blood on their hands. Well, the school system is a quick payday.
I liked this post.
Be aware however, that in present-day America and even on a relatively rational message board like this one, the obvious sarcasm in "Yeah. It's the school's fault" may be treated as a lie, on par with misquoting the NY Times.

On a separate matter — the repetition of a word that dictioaries mark as obscene or vulgar — as a Moderator I am not permitted to comment on such matters, nor onthe quest for a Guiness Book #1.

And then, schools are going to panic at any sign of aggression. And people will start complaining about how schools are "over-reacting". And seriously $100 million?

I can only imagine what those who lost children in the shooting are going through. My daughter is a substantial part of my life, and to lose her to such senselessness?! But the school looked like they were doing just about everything they could. We know this because the parents are in jail now! The school warned them... set some standards for care... and the parents went out and bought a gun!

Not certain if "interesting" is the word I'd use to describe a trial that will attempt to put culpability on the parents who bought a gun right after the school warned them about violent danger signs their son was exhibiting... and then said son used said weapon and murdered four kids.

But the school looked like they were doing just about everything they could. We know this because the parents are in jail now! The school warned them... set some standards for care... and the parents went out and bought a gun!

Source for that info?

My belt doesn't (depending on the sensitivity setting of the detector). I don't have a phone. I always put wallet and keys inside my carry-on.

But every time i go through the airport, they need to pat down the area of the watch pocket. Three layers of Levis is suspiciously dense, apparently.

The computers in those scanners get confused by pockets that don't lie perfectly flat.

Prosecutor: Oxford school shooting suspect's mom had affair while son spiraled

Having an affair in and of itself is not grounds for being guilty, but it's a mere example of the kinds of entitlement and neglect on the part of the parents. It may be a shocking headline catcher, but the article has a lot more info in it relevant to the legal case. Prosecutors allege for example that the parents saw signs of spiraling but then got him the gun and kept it in an unlocked cupboard.

Prosecutor: Oxford school shooting suspect's mom had affair while son spiraled

Having an affair in and of itself is not grounds for being guilty, but it's a mere example of the kinds of entitlement and neglect on the part of the parents. It may be a shocking headline catcher, but the article has a lot more info in it relevant to the legal case. Prosecutors allege for example that the parents saw signs of spiraling but then got him the gun and kept it in an unlocked cupboard.
The use of the word “allegedly” seems odd in this sentence:

article said:
And they knew he had access to that gun on Nov. 30, the day 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley allegedly opened fire in a hallway at Oxford High School, killing four students and injuring seven others.

I think it’s due to the legal system not wanting to prejudice cases but it would seem it’s far more known that he shot up the school than that the parents knew he had access to the gun.

This is primarily a grumpy pedant post.

Back
Top Bottom