• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Parents Of School Shooter Charged

Personally I hate prison time as a means to serving justice. It would seem unlikely that these two people will commit the same crime again. Their presence in prison won't make us any safer.

On the other hand, four teens were murdered by the teen they gave a weapon to after being told he appeared to be exhibiting violent tendencies as well as them apparently witnessing this as well. Is 15 years excessive? Let's ask these four people.
Prison serves two purposes. It not only deters future improper behavior by the guilty but it acts as a deterrent for others who might do the same thing.

In this case I definitely agree that the parents aren't going to do it again, but this sentence tells others to be careful arming people with mental problems.
I do not believe that prison acts as a deterrent, or only very rarely does it.

I don’t believe anyone should have a weapon capable of rapidly firing many times —or even a few. Certainly not a 15 year old, however mentally, emotionally and physically healthy that 15 year old is or appears to be, no matter how excellent and observe t or even prescient the parents and schools and teachers and communities. Shit happens. Sometimes really bad shit. Often guns are involved.

What ALL of this should be telling ALL of us is that we have a very serious problem with mental health and that it starts very young and that too few people have access to the help they need and that this is especially true for teenagers.

Also guns and mental illness do not mix well,

Also there is NO legitimate justification for allowing such unfettered access to weaponry. It makes no one safer. It makes a lot of people dead or imprisoned.

And it makes a few people very very rich.

In cases of mental illness I agree that imprisonment does not act as a deterrent. But mental illness like everything else comes in degrees and I believe the threat of loss of freedom or being fined definitely can give a person pause. The key is to make the person unhappy with their current circumstance while continuing intervention.

I say this because I have seen it happen. The person must learn that behaviors have consequences. We must protect ourselves from persons incapable of such an awareness until such time as that awareness is gained. If loss of freedom and loss of privilege is necessary that is what we must do.

Personally I hate prison time as a means to serving justice. It would seem unlikely that these two people will commit the same crime again. Their presence in prison won't make us any safer.

On the other hand, four teens were murdered by the teen they gave a weapon to after being told he appeared to be exhibiting violent tendencies as well as them apparently witnessing this as well. Is 15 years excessive? Let's ask these four people.
Prison serves two purposes. It not only deters future improper behavior by the guilty but it acts as a deterrent for others who might do the same thing.

In this case I definitely agree that the parents aren't going to do it again, but this sentence tells others to be careful arming people with mental problems.

I don’t believe anyone should have a weapon capable of rapidly firing many times —or even a few. Certainly not a 15 year old, however mentally, emotionally and physically healthy that 15 year old is or appears to be, no matter how excellent and observe t or even prescient the parents and schools and teachers and communities. Shit happens. Sometimes really bad shit. Often guns are involved.

What ALL of this should be telling ALL of us is that we have a very serious problem with mental health and that it starts very young and that too few people have access to the help they need and that this is especially true for teenagers.
I have no idea how this child's mental health needs were addressed through the years. What I can say is that people have committed mass shootings without mental health issues, and instead were simply angry. The problem are guns and how easy it is to get them, especially in this case where the child was allowed to gain access to the weapon because the parents were abhorrently negligent.
Guns and people don't mix well.

Mental illness is an incredibly important issue, I just get tired of it being used as a cloak by some to protect the reckless access to weaponry that has allowed people to gain access to guns so easily, facilitating their mass murders. I get you feel likewise.

Honestly, it kinda seems so excessive
if the kid had ran away from home, stolen a gun somewhere then committed the crimes I might agree with you. As it is the parents acted as enablers, something more than negligence.

I agree with all that. It's not like I suggested a shrug concerning their culpability. Still, 15 years looks excessive to me.
Tom

I wouldn't worry about her so much. She'll probably end up only doing 4 years as she gets out on good behavior. She's also got a great future as a B list celebrity as these things go. I mean, she had an affair which was very publicized during trial, she said some crazy things to Ethan like "LOL, I’m not gonna get mad at you, you have to learn to not get caught" regarding buying ammunition which really points back to how she handled her own life with her affair. Doesn't stop there either because the parents were on the run, caught in a warehouse with thousands of dollars. Photos were taken of her Xanax and Adderall on a table at the warehouse. So, basically, we're talking 1 or 2 whole seasons of Netflix special "The Crumbleys." The only debatable thing here is what will be the subtitle and who will be the cast.

I have no idea how this child's mental health needs were addressed through the years. What I can say is that people have committed mass shootings without mental health issues, and instead were simply angry. The problem are guns and how easy it is to get them, especially in this case where the child was allowed to gain access to the weapon because the parents were abhorrently negligent.
Guns and people don't mix well.

Mental illness is an incredibly important issue, I just get tired of it being used as a cloak by some to protect the reckless access to weaponry that has allowed people to gain access to guns so easily, facilitating their mass murders. I get you feel likewise.
I suspect something like schizophrenia for this person, given the reports of hallucinations.

I see guns as having utility in some situations, for some people. Where I live, there are still plenty of people who hunt and for whom the game they shoot is an important part of their diet and offsets their grocery bills significantly. And people who hunt for pleasure. I also am aware that guns are extremely helpful in keeping herds and pets and children and other people safe from some predators. It is also a quick, cheap way to euthanize some injured animals who cannot well recover from their injuries.

I understand why people want to divorce mental illness from mass shootings but I struggle to see someone's desire or compulsion to shoot up a school or mall or concert or whatever because they are just that angry as not being a form of mental illness. Most people who are mentally ill do not commit such atrocities just as most people who are very, very angry do not commit such atrocities.

That's the math for 60 years.

I'm confused.
Are you saying she deserves more than 15 years?
I can't tell what the point to your post was.
Tom

Sorry, I thought you were asking about where the 60 years came from and I was providing background.
I didn’t realize you were just explaining why 60 was irrelevant to you because 15 was already too high.

Nm.

Back
Top Bottom