• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Yeah, I learned some years back that under no circumstances would I ever call the police in the event of a loved one or even a stranger who was having a mental health crisis. In my small town, a family called police out of concern for their loved one, a young man in the middle of a mental health crisis. He was shot while in the middle of a footbridge over a small stream, unarmed, as his loved ones had told the police. His only crime was to be having a mental health crisis. No, he did not threaten anyone. No he did not have a weapon to point at police. They just..killed him.

No charges were filed against anybody.
Which results in people dying because they didn't want to call the cops when dealing with a violent crazy in their house.

There is no good solution. You have to pick the least bad.

Call a social worker, call a psychologist. Call his mother. Let him sit in the car until they arrive. He is in his car in the middle of nowhere, and he is scared.
So you tie up a bunch of cops for no purpose--when he does come out he's likely still going to have the knife. There is no good solution to nuts with a weapon.
First, the police are not tied up for "no purpose". They are there to keep the situation from devolving into something worse. Second, implying that it is worse to wait and get someone with experience in dealing with people in mental distress who are no immediate threat to themselves because it ties up a bunch of police than to kill him/her is morally repugnant.

Yeah, I learned some years back that under no circumstances would I ever call the police in the event of a loved one or even a stranger who was having a mental health crisis. In my small town, a family called police out of concern for their loved one, a young man in the middle of a mental health crisis. He was shot while in the middle of a footbridge over a small stream, unarmed, as his loved ones had told the police. His only crime was to be having a mental health crisis. No, he did not threaten anyone. No he did not have a weapon to point at police. They just..killed him.

Which results in people dying because they didn't want to call the cops when dealing with a violent crazy in their house.

Again, you appear to promote killing people in mental distress who are no immediate threat to anyone else because you are incapable of thinking of any solution that does not have a guaranteed perfect outcome.

Yes—there is a possible good solution: have trained crisis counselors/professionals as part of the police force and use them in such situations. Train police in how to respond to individuals experiencing g emotional distress. And STOP ARMING ALL OFFICERS! Give them other tools so they don’t reach fir the lethal ones first. If your only tool is a gun, everyone looks like a target, to paraphrase.

Yes—there is a possible good solution: have trained crisis counselors/professionals as part of the police force and use them in such situations. Train police in how to respond to individuals experiencing g emotional distress. And STOP ARMING ALL OFFICERS! Give them other tools so they don’t reach fir the lethal ones first. If your only tool is a gun, everyone looks like a target, to paraphrase.
Or arm them with nonlethal weapons and low-lethality ones like Tasers.

Again, you appear to promote killing people in mental distress who are no immediate threat to anyone else because you are incapable of thinking of any solution that does not have a guaranteed perfect outcome.
I don't support shooting this guy. It should have been taser or beanbag rounds, not bullets. I'm just saying waiting doesn't do anything to alleviate the problem.

I don't support shooting this guy. It should have been taser or beanbag rounds, not bullets. I'm just saying waiting doesn't do anything to alleviate the problem.
1. No one said that the police were called because his family did not want to deal with a violent crazy person. He was not violent, except in expressing suicidal thoughts. He left his household and his family desperately wanted to locate him to ensure his safety.

He was not in reach of a taser and possibly not bran bag rounds. I do not understand why any such violent means would have been needed for a non-violent, unarmed young man who was having a mental health crisis.

Whatever the least bad outcome was, it certainly was not murdering an unarmed man.

Instead of least bad, why not aim for good outcome: convince the person to accept some mental health intervention.

The next thing you know, people will be openly advocating for killing lost 5 year olds.

Waiting prevents the indiscriminate killing.

Waiting prevents the indiscriminate killing.
Some people cannot deal with any amount of uncertainty. Which, I suppose, makes ( someone else’s) death so appealing. It provides resolution.

A Jackson County sheriff's deputy used his Taser on a 12-year-old autistic boy without warning as the youth sat handcuffed, shackled and hogtied in the deputy's vehicle.

The state's law enforcement oversight body says Matthew Honas on Feb. 23 used excessive force multiple times on the boy, including tying him up in a manner that threatened "his ability to breathe properly."
Honas used excessive force upon the boy, identified only as "L.H.," after being dispatched on a report that he was trying to run away from foster care, KSCPOST said.

"Among other actions, (Honas) tased the child without warning while the child was handcuffed and 'hog tied,'" it said.

Honas knew the boy was autistic and had previously been in a physical struggle with him, though there was no report or body camera footage regarding that incident, KSCPOST said.

While Honas wasn't wearing a body camera during the Feb 23 incident, most of the interaction was captured on his in-car camera, the report said.

Honas clearly "struggled with, shoved, elbowed, applied pressure points, carried, pulled, 'hog-tied' and ultimately tased L.H.," KCSPOST said.

"Of particular concern, L.H. was sitting in the patrol car at one point and not actively resisting," it said. "His hands were cuffed behind his back and (Honas) began to press L.H.'s jaw pressure points without giving any direction to L.H. to do anything. This appeared to be of a punitive nature, particularly with the dialogue between (Honas) and L.H. at the time."

Just a few bad apples.....
Exactly. The police are human just like everyone else, and they can be just as vicious, mean-spirited and vindictive as any of the worst members in our society. But unlike civilians, police in the US enjoy qualified immunity, which makes it extremely difficult to to hold them accountable through civil action. And unless they commit horrendous crimes on camera, and the footage is released to the public, the likelihood of them being charged in criminal court is extremely small. The police know this and take advantage of this.

A Jackson County sheriff's deputy used his Taser on a 12-year-old autistic boy without warning as the youth sat handcuffed, shackled and hogtied in the deputy's vehicle.

The state's law enforcement oversight body says Matthew Honas on Feb. 23 used excessive force multiple times on the boy, including tying him up in a manner that threatened "his ability to breathe properly."
Honas used excessive force upon the boy, identified only as "L.H.," after being dispatched on a report that he was trying to run away from foster care, KSCPOST said.

"Among other actions, (Honas) tased the child without warning while the child was handcuffed and 'hog tied,'" it said.

Honas knew the boy was autistic and had previously been in a physical struggle with him, though there was no report or body camera footage regarding that incident, KSCPOST said.

While Honas wasn't wearing a body camera during the Feb 23 incident, most of the interaction was captured on his in-car camera, the report said.

Honas clearly "struggled with, shoved, elbowed, applied pressure points, carried, pulled, 'hog-tied' and ultimately tased L.H.," KCSPOST said.

"Of particular concern, L.H. was sitting in the patrol car at one point and not actively resisting," it said. "His hands were cuffed behind his back and (Honas) began to press L.H.'s jaw pressure points without giving any direction to L.H. to do anything. This appeared to be of a punitive nature, particularly with the dialogue between (Honas) and L.H. at the time."
This is the usual sort of police misconduct--applying field "justice".

OAKLAND, Calif. - A total of 47 Alameda County Sheriff's deputies were told on Friday that they were relieved of their law enforcement duties because they received unsatisfactory results on their psychological examinations dating back to 2016, KTVU has learned.

That means the deputies – roughly 5% of the 1,000-member sworn force – who received "D. Not Suited" will be stripped of their arresting powers and firearms, but they will retain their pay and benefits.

KTVU obtained a copy of the letter over the weekend.

In his letter, Sheriff Gregory Ahern promised to schedule another psych exam and that his intention is to "resolve this issue as quickly as possible" and "return to full duty status once you obtain a ‘suitable’ finding."

On Monday, Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Ray Kelly said it "was horrible" to have to relieve the deputies of their duties.

Kelly said he hoped that the retests would occur in the next "couple months." He said he had no idea how many of the 47 deputies would be able to get their jobs back. Thirty deputies work at Santa Rita Jail, where there have been 59 in-custody deaths since 2014, and the remaining 17 have jobs elsewhere, including patrol, Kelly said.

OAKLAND, Calif. - A total of 47 Alameda County Sheriff's deputies were told on Friday that they were relieved of their law enforcement duties because they received unsatisfactory results on their psychological examinations dating back to 2016, KTVU has learned.

That means the deputies – roughly 5% of the 1,000-member sworn force – who received "D. Not Suited" will be stripped of their arresting powers and firearms, but they will retain their pay and benefits.

KTVU obtained a copy of the letter over the weekend.

In his letter, Sheriff Gregory Ahern promised to schedule another psych exam and that his intention is to "resolve this issue as quickly as possible" and "return to full duty status once you obtain a ‘suitable’ finding."

On Monday, Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Ray Kelly said it "was horrible" to have to relieve the deputies of their duties.

Kelly said he hoped that the retests would occur in the next "couple months." He said he had no idea how many of the 47 deputies would be able to get their jobs back. Thirty deputies work at Santa Rita Jail, where there have been 59 in-custody deaths since 2014, and the remaining 17 have jobs elsewhere, including patrol, Kelly said.
I think it is more horrible that these "not suited" officers were allowed to roam the streets for up to 6 years before being temporarily relieved of duty.

LAPD Officer Killed in Training ‘Accident’ Was Investigating Gang Rape by 4 Other Officers - "Officer Houston Tipping died in May in what the LAPD called a tragic accident. His family's lawyer has been contesting these claims for months."
The lawyer of a Los Angeles police officer killed in what the LAPD called a training accident back in May said the officer, Houston Tipping, had been investigating an alleged gang rape perpetrated by four LAPD officers in 2021 when he was killed. Tipping’s lawyer, Bradley Gage, claimed on Monday that one of the four officers who allegedly participated in the gang rape was present when Tipping was killed.

“The victim claimed that she was raped by four different people, all LAPD officers. She knew the names of some of those officers because they were in uniform and they had their name tags on,” Gage said on Monday, in footage from Sean Beckner-Carmitchel for Knock LA. “That name of one of those officers with the name tag seems to correlate with one of the officers that was at the bicycle training.”

“You’re alleging that that officer is the one who hurt the victim, but you’re not confirming or alleging that there might have been other officers who jumped in?” one reporter asked Gage, who responded, “I cannot allege that, because I only have known facts.”

Another reporter asked the lawyer why so much time had passed between the alleged gang rape, which Gage said took place in July 2021, and Tipping’s death, if the motive involve Tipping investigating the rape. Gage replied, “Opportunity, an investigation, learning of knowledge?”

Shows that it can be difficult for cops to reveal other cops' misbehavior.

OK, I see we've moved on to the "just making shit up about what might have happened and then assuming it's unassailable truth" phase of the thread, so I am out.
I am not making anything up. Did you even watch the full video?

I did. Knocked on the door for about 5 minutes. It took about 5 more minutes to take the two people peacefully, enter the apartment and open the door to a dark bedroom where an officer (I presume wearing the body camera the footage is from) turns on a flashlight to illuminate the room. The officer handling a dog shot the suspect under a second within said light going on. They then proceeded to not render aid but rather handcuff the suspect, carry him down a flight of stairs only to start their stupid idea of medical treatment around 5 minutes after the shot. They seem to really like 5 minutes.

Derec, why do you think one of the officers had their back to the door of the targeted residence? Seems a little comfortable for the serious raid going on don't you think?

Edit: I think raid is the wrong term. but you can overlook that technicality right? :unsure:

Why do you think the old gray haired dog handler immediately holstered his gun after shooting? Could it be his old cogwheels knew he fucked up?

Why did they say "stop resisting" to a man clearly groaning over his last moments in life. Why the "he's pulling away" comment Derec? You said you watched the video.

Back
Top Bottom