• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Late on the night of June 11, 2022, Glass apparently got his car stuck on a rural road near Silver Plume.

When he phoned 911 from his cell phone asking for help, he sounded mentally unstable, paranoid and extremely scared. He told an operator his car was ensnared in a “trap” in a bush and he said he didn’t like the town he was in.

“I’m in a 2007 Honda Pilot. I will not be fine on my own,” he told an operator. “You’re sending someone right? You tracked my location? My car is stuck under a bush … I love you. You’re my light right now. I’m really scared. I’m sorry.”

A Boulder County resident, Glass was an amateur geologist and had some knives and a hammer in his car from a recent trip to Utah.

Glass, whose parents are from the United Kingdom and New Zealand, told the dispatcher he had what could be perceived as weapons in the car and he offered to throw them outside when officers arrived.

“I have two knives and a hammer and a rubber mallet,” he said, in a slight accent, to the emergency dispatcher. “I’m not dangerous. I’ll keep my hands completely visible. I understand this is a dodgy situation.”

The dispatcher relayed that information to deputies.

“I’m not having any luck clearing this party and he’s not making much sense,” the dispatcher told the deputies.

When they arrived on the scene, Glass again offered to throw the tools and knives out the window.

Deputies said they didn’t want him to throw the weapons out of the car and instead demanded that he get out of the car.
We’re poppin’,” a deputy said as they attempted to break the car window. Glass picked up the knife.

“He’s got a knife in his hand!” another officer said. “Watch crossfire, watch crossfire."

Officers stepped back and drew their guns. They eventually broke the passenger window, and glass sprayed all over. Glass kept his grip on the small knife.

“You need to drop that knife!” officers shouted.

Glass’ head darted from left to right as officers got closer to him and began shooting bean bags in the car.

“Impact, impact, impact,” officers yelled, as the bean bags went in, appearing to break more of the car windows. Glass grew more agitated and moved his eyes and head back and forth. He started screaming.

Another deputy calls for someone to use a Taser on Glass.

The first officer on the scene deployed his yellow Taser gun and struck Glass. He started screaming again. Officers were on all sides of him at this point with flashlights beaming. A few seconds go by, and officers scream at him again to drop his knife.

“You can save yourself!” he yelled, his last words. “You can still save yourself! Lord hear me. Lord hear me.”

One deputy fired several rounds, striking him and killing him.

Late on the night of June 11, 2022, Glass apparently got his car stuck on a rural road near Silver Plume.

When he phoned 911 from his cell phone asking for help, he sounded mentally unstable, paranoid and extremely scared. He told an operator his car was ensnared in a “trap” in a bush and he said he didn’t like the town he was in.

“I’m in a 2007 Honda Pilot. I will not be fine on my own,” he told an operator. “You’re sending someone right? You tracked my location? My car is stuck under a bush … I love you. You’re my light right now. I’m really scared. I’m sorry.”

A Boulder County resident, Glass was an amateur geologist and had some knives and a hammer in his car from a recent trip to Utah.

Glass, whose parents are from the United Kingdom and New Zealand, told the dispatcher he had what could be perceived as weapons in the car and he offered to throw them outside when officers arrived.

“I have two knives and a hammer and a rubber mallet,” he said, in a slight accent, to the emergency dispatcher. “I’m not dangerous. I’ll keep my hands completely visible. I understand this is a dodgy situation.”

“I’m not having any luck clearing this party and he’s not making much sense,” the dispatcher told the deputies.

When they arrived on the scene, Glass again offered to throw the tools and knives out the window.

Deputies said they didn’t want him to throw the weapons out of the car and instead demanded that he get out of the car.
We’re poppin’,” a deputy said as they attempted to break the car window. Glass picked up the knife.

“He’s got a knife in his hand!” another officer said. “Watch crossfire, watch crossfire."

Officers stepped back and drew their guns. They eventually broke the passenger window, and glass sprayed all over. Glass kept his grip on the small knife.

Glass’ head darted from left to right as officers got closer to him and began shooting bean bags in the car.

“Impact, impact, impact,” officers yelled, as the bean bags went in, appearing to break more of the car windows. Glass grew more agitated and moved his eyes and head back and forth. He started screaming.

The first officer on the scene deployed his yellow Taser gun and struck Glass. He started screaming again. Officers were on all sides of him at this point with flashlights beaming. A few seconds go by, and officers scream at him again to drop his knife.

“You can save yourself!” he yelled, his last words. “You can still save yourself! Lord hear me. Lord hear me.”

And what threat is a knife when he's in the car and they're outside it? I don't think the idiot is going to be punished, though.

The cops have to get home safe every night. Everyone else? Who gives a fuck.

This is a fundamental training issue where cops are taught that no risk is permitted, officer safety trumps common sense, and lethal force is always permissible, no matter how small the risk. Most civilized nations are able to deal with their mentally ill citizens without killing them, but not in the US. Kill first and ask questions later. Fistbumps and highfives after the killing is optional.

And what threat is a knife when he's in the car and they're outside it? I don't think the idiot is going to be punished, though.
Every single one of those officers should be found guilty of assault and the shooter of the firearm should be found guilty of manslaughter. Instead, every single one of those assholes will not be charged and allowed to stay on the job.

Every single one of those officers should be found guilty of assault and the shooter of the firearm should be found guilty of manslaughter. Instead, every single one of those assholes will not be charged and allowed to stay on the job.
Why are the rest guilty of assault? Nutter with a knife, you're most likely going to have to use some force to take them down. The issue here is that there does not seem to be any justification for lethal force.

Why are the rest guilty of assault? Nutter with a knife, you're most likely going to have to use some force to take them down. The issue here is that there does not seem to be any justification for lethal force.

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO “TAKE THEM DOWN” ???????

Call a social worker, call a psychologist. Call his mother. Let him sit in the car until they arrive. He is in his car in the middle of nowhere, and he is scared.

These cops acted like thugs when all they needed was a social worker (someone braver and smarter than them.)

And why should the others be found guilty? Because none of them stopped the others of them. None of them de-escalated. None of them called a social worker. None of them had any tools in their toolbox except death.

As you pointed out, he was in car and all of them were not. He was not a danger to any of them. There was no reason for them to attack him or his car. And just the officers who refused to stop Derek Chauvin, none of these officers lifted a finger to actually help this man in distress or stop the shooting.

Sorry, none of them should ever be allowed to be a police officer.

Now, why can police be so jumpy when warrants are served? Because warrant service can be very dangerous for the police.

But they should be fine with that danger, because

Obviously, it is impossible to cover all contingencies. Sometimes bad things happen.

Why are the cops so scared? Sometimes bad things happen, and we’re all good with that, stop whining, Amirite?
I think that's spelled Amiwhite.

Call a social worker, call a psychologist. Call his mother. Let him sit in the car until they arrive. He is in his car in the middle of nowhere, and he is scared.

These cops acted like thugs when all they needed was a social worker (someone braver and smarter than them.)

And why should the others be found guilty? Because none of them stopped the others of them. None of them de-escalated. None of them called a social worker. None of them had any tools in their toolbox except death.
Yeah, I learned some years back that under no circumstances would I ever call the police in the event of a loved one or even a stranger who was having a mental health crisis. In my small town, a family called police out of concern for their loved one, a young man in the middle of a mental health crisis. He was shot while in the middle of a footbridge over a small stream, unarmed, as his loved ones had told the police. His only crime was to be having a mental health crisis. No, he did not threaten anyone. No he did not have a weapon to point at police. They just..killed him.

No charges were filed against anybody.

And of course if you chose not to call police for a mental crisis and somebody gets killed do you carry any rrsposibility?

And of course if you chose not to call police for a mental crisis and somebody gets killed do you carry any rrsposibility?
Certainly less responsibility than if you do call them and the police end up killing the person going through the mental crisis.

Why would you? Serious question.
Whatever issues there are with the police they are bailey to be more qualified to sscess and deal with the situation than I am.

People with issues stabbing, assaulting, and shooting people have become routine in Seattle. Nt just on tye street. Ploce respnd to domestic disturbances and get shot at, or the disturbance ends in a death before police arrive. Neighbors shooting each other over simple disoutes.

Earlier in the simmer a man pushed a women down te stirs leading to a light rail station in my neighborhood.About three blocks away from me.

He walked away and later stabbed somebody at a bus stop.

I walk past the light rail station stairs periodically. It is not an academic debate for for me.

Seattle is moving towards having so called mental health professionals responding to calls for mental issues. At some point one of them will be kiilled.

I d not drive anymore so I take public transit or walk. If you do not see the craziness up close you do not know what the police are having to deal with. I have seen police in Seattle exercising a great deal of restraint on the street dealing with mental issues. It is the exceptions that get elevated and inflated.

Settle has gone from 2 years of defend and get rid of police replaced by civilian community policing to comaplaints including minorities theere

The city got ts wish from 2 yeras ago. They attacked the police and did not give any support and demanded a reduction in police officers. Officers left en masse.

The debate over policing is one sided.

Police are at the end of the line. An offcer who talked to us in 0ur buildin said tere job was to keep things wthin the rails'. That is true. They have no control over social conditions that lead to crime. Yet they get intense blame for situation that goes bad.

Why would you? Serious question.
Whatever issues there are with the police they are bailey to be more qualified to sscess and deal with the situation than I am.

People with issues stabbing, assaulting, and shooting people have become routine in Seattle. Nt just on tye street. Ploce respnd to domestic disturbances and get shot at, or the disturbance ends in a death before police arrive. Neighbors shooting each other over simple disoutes.

Earlier in the simmer a man pushed a women down te stirs leading to a light rail station in my neighborhood.About three blocks away from me.

He walked away and later stabbed somebody at a bus stop.

I walk past the light rail station stairs periodically. It is not an academic debate for for me.

Seattle is moving towards having so called mental health professionals responding to calls for mental issues. At some point one of them will be kiilled.

I d not drive anymore so I take public transit or walk. If you do not see the craziness up close you do not know what the police are having to deal with. I have seen police in Seattle exercising a great deal of restraint on the street dealing with mental issues. It is the exceptions that get elevated and inflated.

Settle has gone from 2 years of defend and get rid of police replaced by civilian community policing to comaplaints including minorities theere

The city got ts wish from 2 yeras ago. They attacked the police and did not give any support and demanded a reduction in police officers. Officers left en masse.

The debate over policing is one sided.

Police are at the end of the line. An offcer who talked to us in 0ur buildin said tere job was to keep things wthin the rails'. That is true. They have no control over social conditions that lead to crime. Yet they get intense blame for situation that goes bad.

When the situation goes bad due to their over-reaction or zealousness, then they should get blamed. Otherwise, the police have carte blanche to do whatever they feel like. As it is, some of them act like they already have that freedom to the detriment of some of the public.

I have a cousin who is prone to such episodes. In Australia the police know not to enter the car but just wait and call for support. It used to be his mother, my aunt. With her sad death it is now my father (my cousin's father died about 20 years ago). When my father dies or he can no longer do it (he is now 86) it will be me. I am not looking forward to the job but it is necessary.

Every time i see incidents like the one mentioned previously I am reminded of an incident involving a woman and a police office in MELBOURNE Australia. What would have happened to her if she did this in the US? (Granted it was 7 years ago)

So you tie up a bunch of cops for no purpose--when he does come out he's likely still going to have the knife. There is no good solution to nuts with a weapon.

Back
Top Bottom