• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

I'm sure some members here will consider that poor woman who was having a mental health crisis according to many of the articles I've read, a thug. For the most part, I had stopped reading this thread because it's obvious that we have far too many poorly trained, disgustingly racist police in many if not most areas of the country.

I will say that nothing like this has happened yet in my small city, although a friend of mine was arrested in the middle of the night for not paying a traffic ticket that was already paid. His wife answered the door and she is white, but he is black. His wife had already paid the traffic ticket but some idiot had the wrong information, so the police went to their home at 2 AM to arrest him. My friend spent the entire weekend in prison because the courthouse was closed all weekend and his wife couldn't prove the ticket was paid until Monday. Why would we lock someone up for not paying a traffic fine on time? I have wondered if the male had answered the door, if he would have been roughed up by the police. He's a sweet, gentle person who would never hurt anyone. He just had gotten a speeding ticket. I'm glad he wasn't hurt but I think that was an example of police misconduct, even if no violence resulted.

The system in place is fundamentally designed to handle such scenarios. Cases do exist where officers have been apprehended, charged, and penalized for precipitous decisions. What we need is a more open-minded police force, willing prosecution, and Police Union receptive to accountability measures.

My suggestion is that we increase pay for law enforcement officers in the USA, aligning them more closely with high-earning professions like law and medicine. Simultaneously, rather than stripping them of their firearms (a move which would be foolish considering the Second Amendment keeps the public armed), we should aspire to incorporate European-style police training and culture. With this robust and comprehensive training, officers would be better poised to judge when firearm use is truly appropriate. While this might not completely eradicate police shootings, it would significantly reduce instances where force is unnecessarily deployed.

Instead of simply endorsing the status quo and perpetuating the existing culture of self-preservation among police (like some unnamed user on this forum does), it's far preferable to undertake some meaningful action. Inaction will only serve to reinforce current behavior, doing nothing to challenge or improve upon the present state of affairs.
Why do you yanks have so many separate police forces, even within a state that seem to vary greatly with training, equipment, ethos etc.?
Some amalgamations would help with standardisation in equipment, training, ethos etc.

The system in place is fundamentally designed to handle such scenarios. Cases do exist where officers have been apprehended, charged, and penalized for precipitous decisions. What we need is a more open-minded police force, willing prosecution, and Police Union receptive to accountability measures.

My suggestion is that we increase pay for law enforcement officers in the USA, aligning them more closely with high-earning professions like law and medicine. Simultaneously, rather than stripping them of their firearms (a move which would be foolish considering the Second Amendment keeps the public armed), we should aspire to incorporate European-style police training and culture. With this robust and comprehensive training, officers would be better poised to judge when firearm use is truly appropriate. While this might not completely eradicate police shootings, it would significantly reduce instances where force is unnecessarily deployed.

Instead of simply endorsing the status quo and perpetuating the existing culture of self-preservation among police (like some unnamed user on this forum does), it's far preferable to undertake some meaningful action. Inaction will only serve to reinforce current behavior, doing nothing to challenge or improve upon the present state of affairs.
Why do you yanks have so many separate police forces, even within a state that seem to vary greatly with training, equipment, ethos etc.?
Some amalgamations would help with standardisation in equipment, training, ethos etc.
We have a lot of police forces and layers of law enforcement partially because of our overall government structure and partly because of our patterns of population. This is also seen in police funding. And also training which follows how the US is set up with regards to organization by state and within state smaller bodies (counties) and within counties, cities, towns, townships, etc.

I don't necessarily believe that all police departments need or should have the same types of equipment or training. In essentials: yes, but there are vast differences in landscape, population, etc. within a state, much less the country. I know that Australia and the US are very similar in terms of size of land mass but they differ very much in population and in population distribution.

Gets assaulted, arrested and then stomped on by news outlets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been reflecting on a certain practice across the country where police departments respond with full force and may even shut down entire cities when an officer is shot. It makes me wonder how much could change if they directed that same level of energy and presence when civilians dedicated to improving black communities faced similar challenges. It would send a powerful message to criminals that tampering with social workers and other individuals striving to uplift these communities would result in swift and resolute consequences. Instead, we often witness officers casually chewing gum at crime scenes and discussing their post-shift plans, which falls short of the impactful response that is needed.

A case of media and police misconduct.

It doesn't say they're innocent, but that the burden of proof isn't met for a murder charge. Looks like they can't prove it wasn't self defense, but her conduct certainly doesn't sound like it to me.

Loren, there is a gun, a dead man with bullets from it, video footage, confession. What more proof could the police possibly need beyond that?

Looks like they can't prove it wasn't self defense, but her conduct certainly doesn't sound like it to me.

You think she's supposed to just take a beating? You think words justify assault? What are you saying?

Looks like they can't prove it wasn't self defense, but her conduct certainly doesn't sound like it to me.

You think she's supposed to just take a beating? You think words justify assault? What are you saying?
Her encouraging him to shoot the woman makes her situation very shaky.

First off, hell yeah there is a lot of police misconduct from violence to perverse incentives involving profitting off of property seizures.

That said, this is an interesting synopsis on excessive and thoughtless responses to it

First off, hell yeah there is a lot of police misconduct from violence to perverse incentives involving profitting off of property seizures.

That said, this is an interesting synopsis on excessive and thoughtless responses to it

I watched the video and found it a load of crap. Deceptively edited bullshit, think they used 2 seconds of Emma's response to one question edited in as the response to 2 or 3 misleading questions. Pretty much trying to tu quoque away that right wing inspiration to violence. TYT talks often about fighting back, and makes a point of saying not with violence but politically. Which is very different from the frequent appeals made in various right-wing outlets. The video keeps showing Jimmy Dore, who's association with TYT was ended years ago, and has been criticized by TYT a number of times.

Prosecutors made that up. :rolleyes:
And why do you say it was made up??
Threatening an innocent bystander with a firearm is in itself a legal violation, irrespective of whether the individual was deemed not at fault for the shooting. It would seem peculiar for such charges to be dropped if the threat indeed took place, wouldn't you agree?

Presumably, if there were witness statements corroborating that she threatened a bystander with a firearm (which the article does not confirm), the prosecutors would possess all the necessary evidence to press charges.

Threatening an innocent bystander with a firearm is in itself a legal violation, irrespective of whether the individual was deemed not at fault for the shooting. It would seem peculiar for such charges to be dropped if the threat indeed took place, wouldn't you agree?
No--I don't see it as saying he actually pointed the firearm at a somewhat-innocent bystander (she was involved, but not a deadly threat), but rather the mother encouraging him to shoot her. That's the part that makes me seriously question self defense. Without that part this looks like a reasonable disparity-of-force self-defense case.

No--I don't see it as saying he actually pointed the firearm at a somewhat-innocent bystander (she was involved, but not a deadly threat), but rather the mother encouraging him to shoot her. That's the part that makes me seriously question self defense. Without that part this looks like a reasonable disparity-of-force self-defense case.
Does the article specify whether the details emerged from a witness testimony or the prosecutor's account? It's important to note that the prosecutor, certainly, was not a witness. I surmise they analyzed video footage and inferred from body language. Could you provide the foundation upon which your viewpoint rests?

Back
Top Bottom