• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

"Some More News" is a YouTube news show that tries to be like John Oliver's 'Last Week Tonight'. Mixing comedy with coverage of real topics. Honestly, I find most of the comedy bits rather meh.. but the news parts are actually very interesting.
So their latest show is on 'defund the police'
Without watching it and giving it clicks, I am guessing his conclusion is that the results of defunding police are great, and not at all horrible?

And before the "Why didn't he just stop" crowd arrives. The answer was given to the 911 operator.
Edit: And the confirmation of his fears were provided by the K9 operator.
Had he just stopped like a normal person and not led the cops on a long chase, there would be no reason to release the hounds.

And before the "Why didn't he just stop" crowd arrives. The answer was given to the 911 operator.
Edit: And the confirmation of his fears were provided by the K9 operator.
Had he just stopped like a normal person and not led the cops on a long chase, there would be no reason to release the hounds.
There was no reason to release the hounds when it was done.

It's open season on people who don't comply with law enforcement. It's the American way.

"Some More News" is a YouTube news show that tries to be like John Oliver's 'Last Week Tonight'. Mixing comedy with coverage of real topics. Honestly, I find most of the comedy bits rather meh.. but the news parts are actually very interesting.
So their latest show is on 'defund the police'
Without watching it and giving it clicks, I am guessing his conclusion is that the results of defunding police are great, and not at all horrible?
Well, I am only part way through and though you are completely wrong about the content I admit that you’re probably right because guessing is probably more accurate than learning.

There was no reason to release the hounds when it was done.
Indeed. That's why the guy was fired.

But my point still stands. Had the trucker not led the police on a chase through several counties, this would not have happened.
And it could have ended worse. He could have crashed, even killed himself. And for what? To avoid a possible ticket?

If you can think of a better way to defend freedom than requiring people to unquestioningly and immediately obey every command given by a police officer, then I would like to hear it.
Do you think people should have the right to flee from police during a traffic stop?

If you can think of a better way to defend freedom than requiring people to unquestioningly and immediately obey every command given by a police officer, then I would like to hear it.
Do you think people should have the right to flee from police during a traffic stop?
No I don't.

Do you think that the police should have the right to kill people if they attempt to do so?

It's open season on people who don't comply with law enforcement. It's the American way.
It seems you might have misinterpreted my comment. My point was that according to Derec, in America, defying the police gives them the authority to do whatever they want to you. It appears you're suggesting that because I disagree with an officer directing a K9 to attack a compliant individual, I don't understand or value the role of law enforcement. That's an unexpected conclusion.

I observe once more that there seems to be an unnecessary financial burden on taxpayers due to certain police actions. Even when they had a clear-cut case against an individual for refusing to stop, a lapse in judgment from an officer led to a potential multi-million dollar lawsuit. Right Mr. "black people filing race based frivolous lawsuits are making things more expensive for everyone" Derec?

No I don't.
Oh, good. Because your quip made it sound as if you thought it was a matter of "freedom" to disobey lawful orders from police, including getting pulled over while driving a truck. And that sounded a bit sovereign citizenish to me.
Do you think that the police should have the right to kill people if they attempt to do so?
No. Not for that alone.
There are scenarios where lethal force against fleeing suspects is justified, however. If the vehicle is used as a weapon to strike or drag an officer for example. Or when a perp is armed and showed himself to be a danger to others and is trying to flee the scene. You can't let somebody like that get away and hurt or kill an innocent bystander later.

I observe once more that there seems to be an unnecessary financial burden on taxpayers due to certain police actions. Even when they had a clear-cut case against an individual for refusing to stop, a lapse in judgment from an officer led to a potential multi-million dollar lawsuit.
The problem with these lawsuits is that often multimillion dollar settlements or verdicts happen ((almost) exclusively with black perps) even when the police did nothing wrong. Like the $32M verdict against police who killed the sovereign citizen nutter Korryn Gaines who threatened police with a shotgun.
These lawsuits cannot be an incentive for police to behave better if they get successfully sued no matter whether they actually do anything wrong.
Right Mr. "black people filing race based frivolous lawsuits are making things more expensive for everyone" Derec?
Yes. A lot of these lawsuits are only successful because of race of the plaintiffs.

That's not why he was fired. He was fired because he kept blabbing on about the incident like a little bitch when he was instructed not to talk about it.
I guess he should have listened to his lawyer.
tumblr_ms576oCXPW1serahho1_500.gif

Well, I am only part way through and though you are completely wrong about the content I admit that you’re probably right because guessing is probably more accurate than learning.
I definitely do not have time to watch an hour long video that was described as "meh" by the person who posted it.

I observe once more that there seems to be an unnecessary financial burden on taxpayers due to certain police actions. Even when they had a clear-cut case against an individual for refusing to stop, a lapse in judgment from an officer led to a potential multi-million dollar lawsuit.
The problem with these lawsuits is that often multimillion dollar settlements or verdicts happen ((almost) exclusively with black perps) even when the police did nothing wrong. Like the $32M verdict against police who killed the sovereign citizen nutter Korryn Gaines who threatened police with a shotgun.
These lawsuits cannot be an incentive for police to behave better if they get successfully sued no matter whether they actually do anything wrong.
Right Mr. "black people filing race based frivolous lawsuits are making things more expensive for everyone" Derec?
Yes. A lot of these lawsuits are only successful because of race of the plaintiffs.

The success of these lawsuits stems directly from the police's inability to perform their duties correctly.

Furthermore, you're generalizing based on high-profile incidents rather than the broader landscape. And if you're concerned about taxpayer dollars, reconsidering qualified immunity might be a prudent step.

There are scenarios where lethal force against fleeing suspects is justified, however.
There are; But they are incredibly rare.
If the vehicle is used as a weapon to strike or drag an officer for example.
Why an officer? Officers are there to put themselves in danger, so the general public doesn't have to. That the target is an officer should make it less imperative to stop the offender, not more so.

An offender who is randomly assaulting people is a far more dangerous threat than an offender who is only assaulting people who are clearly intent on stopping him.
Or when a perp is armed and showed himself to be a danger to others and is trying to flee the scene. You can't let somebody like that get away and hurt or kill an innocent bystander later.
Sure. If there's a compelling reason to believe that they have an intent to kill innocent bystanders.

Such situations are so rare as to occur maybe once a decade. They're not a daily occurrence, and not something individual police officers should expect to ever encounter.

Merely departing the scene in possession of a firearm (which in the USA is a constitutional right) shouldn't be sufficient grounds to deploy lethal force.

Back
Top Bottom