• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post 2022 Election

I don't know if you are aware but kaffir is a racially derogatory term.
How so? "Kaffir" just means "unbeliever" in Arabic. It usually implies unbeliever in Islam, which is the sense I used it in. And since Islam is not a race, the converse cannot be a race either. Duh!
Kaf·fir
/ˈkafər/

noun

1. 1.
    OFFENSIVE•SOUTH AFRICAN
    an insulting term for a black African.

So all those charts and graphs and number he presented were what? Lies, misinterpreted, mistaken?
The latter two. Just like in the Katie Porter thread (before it became about the gold standard) it's assuming causation from correlation.
Those huge profits had to come from somewhere. If they didn't come from the prices charged where did they come from?

I'm officially calling Georgia for Warnock, 5 to 7 point margin.
He got a 2.6% margin, not quite that. Only 0.5% of the vote remains uncounted, and extrapolation of voting patterns gives 0.025% of the total vote.
Margin was a bit shyer than I predicted, off by about 3 pts. It was closer than I thought it'd be, but Warnock's election seemed quite obvious. What is incredible is that this is really a case study for what percentage of right wing voters will actually refuse to vote for a terrible candidate. And that number is small.
Which goes to show what yellow-dog Republicans they are. Though in fairness, there are also lots of yellow-dog Democrats.

I'm officially calling Georgia for Warnock, 5 to 7 point margin.
He got a 2.6% margin, not quite that. Only 0.5% of the vote remains uncounted, and extrapolation of voting patterns gives 0.025% of the total vote.
Margin was a bit shyer than I predicted, off by about 3 pts. It was closer than I thought it'd be, but Warnock's election seemed quite obvious. What is incredible is that this is really a case study for what percentage of right wing voters will actually refuse to vote for a terrible candidate. And that number is small.
Which goes to show what yellow-dog Republicans they are. Though in fairness, there are also lots of yellow-dog Democrats.
True, but the color yellow is a bit brighter for the GOP. How many Walker like candidates have the Democrats nominated for Senate? Heck, we barely have any progressives in the US Senate.

I don't know if you are aware but kaffir is a racially derogatory term.
How so? "Kaffir" just means "unbeliever" in Arabic. It usually implies unbeliever in Islam, which is the sense I used it in. And since Islam is not a race, the converse cannot be a race either. Duh!
It also means "nigger" in South African English, being derived from the Afrikaans "kaffer".

You should use it with the exact same care you use when using the word nigger; Unless you want people to believe you to be wildly racist.

Sigh. I disagree. Even if it is perceived as such in South Africa, we are not in South Africa.
Nobody cares whether or not you agree. The rest of the English speaking world demands that you understand, and desist, whether or not you agree, unless you want people to think you wildly racist. :rolleyesa:

Kari Lake’s long-awaited lawsuit challenging the 2022 election is in and, well, goodness.

I haven’t seen this level of delusion since mom told me I’d be homecoming queen.

Lake’s lawsuit, filed late Friday, asks a judge to declare her Arizona’s new governor or, in the alternative, to order a redo of the Nov. 8 election won by Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs.

She also wants a forensic audit. (Cue the groans from across Arizona.)

Lawsuit is long on claims, short on evidence​

In a nutshell, her lawsuit is 70 pages of grievance and disbelief, sprinkled with frequent flights of fancy.

A lot of woulda couldas about the many ways in which Hobbs and Maricopa County election officials stole Lake’s victory.

The only thing missing is any actual evidence that they did.

My favorite part of the lawsuit is the first paragraph, citing a Republican pollster’s public opinion poll – one that asked likely voters across the U.S. if they agreed with Lake that “many voters were, sadly, deprived” of their right to vote.

“The eyes of the Country are on Arizona ....,” the lawsuit begins. “The results of that poll are stunning. Seventy-two percent (72%) of likely voters said they agree with Lake’s statement, including 45% who strongly agree.”

Walker wasn’t surprised he had won Johnson County. He won it, in fact, with slightly under 74 percent of the electorate. Walker was instead surprised—“absolutely shocked,” according to a former staffer—that he didn’t win 100 percent of the county. Not only did Walker fall well short of those absurd expectations, Gov. Brian Kemp outperformed him in Johnson County, another fact that infuriated him, three staffers said.

“I’m gonna call the sheriff and have him find out who didn’t vote for me,” Walker said, according to one aide.

Meanwhile, the staff around him were realizing that Walker wasn’t going to clear the 50 percent threshold, and the race was probably headed to a runoff that he would lose without Kemp voters pushing him over the finish line.

The moment was typical Walker: myopically focused on personal grievances while his campaign crumbled around him.
This account of Walker as a lying, delusional, confused, misled candidate—eager to believe what sounded good and dismiss the bad—is based on interviews with five campaign staffers and people close to the candidate. Staffers painted a picture of a man who was personally charming—a congenial, generous Southerner who would always inquire about his staff’s well-being—but who was often seeking and accepting advice from the least experienced people in the room: namely, his “redpilled” wife Julie Blanchard, as two staffers put it, and his friend and sometime agent Michele Beagle.

“Pardon my french, but fuck Julie and fuck Michele Beagle,” one staffer said, likening Blanchard to “Lady Macbeth” and Beagle’s amoebic role as campaign chair to a “minister without portfolio.”

“The best spouses know how to calm the candidate, but Julie was more like an accelerant for Walker’s worst instincts,” another staffer said.
More infighting and assumptions in the article.

Jason Miller on Gettr: @KariLake says ...
@KariLake says she will take her fight all the way to the Supreme Court on the eve of the next hearing in her case to overturn Arizona election result
noting
Kari Lake says she will take her fight all the way to the Supreme Court ahead of Monday hearing | Daily Mail Online - Dec 18
  • Kari Lake said Sunday evening she will take her fight to the Supreme Court
  • Her legal challenge to election results could be thrown out on Monday
  • 'I'm not going to stand down,' she told conservatives in Phoenix
  • She claims election day problems with printers cost her victory

I guess the clown show is headed to SCOTUS to be ignored without comment. This is truly a deluded person.

If not Biden, who?
Have a primary. If nobody rises to the occasion, dems don't deserve to win anyway.
It's not that that either party deserves to win. They're both dumbasses in their own way.

The Democrats are less anti-American. The DNC is still run by a bunch of neolibs, who should have aged out of the system 20 years ago. The big problem I see with them is that people like AOC and Buttigieg weren't supported when folks like that could have been replacing the Pelosis and Bidens and assorted other oldsters.

But here we are. The Democrats remain the Pro-American centrists with electability. I wish things were different, but they aren't.
Tom

Things are looking not so rosy for Kari Lake's case.

‘Enough really is enough’: Arizona county seeks sanctions for Kari Lake’s lawyers over election denial

“While it is one thing to do so on TV or social media sites, it is another thing entirely to attempt to use the imprimatur of the courts to try to achieve that goal,” they said, adding that Ms Lake’s “obvious attempt to do so” was worthy of sanctions under Arizona state law.

Go, Kari, Go! I think she and Hershel Walker ought to discuss the highlights of their respective campaigns at the republican convention. Of course, Trumpo can moderate the discussion.

Judge orders Kari Lake to pay attorney's fees to Hobbs.

The judge was kind because he ruled she brought the case honestly. She didn't, of course.

The judge was kind because he ruled she brought the case honestly. She didn't, of course.

Agreed. Lake is no more honest than Trump. The fact that she said before the election that she would only accept the results if she won is extremely revealing at her state dishonesty.

Kari Lake goes out with a whimper: She couldn't galvanize Trump's Jan. 6 army | Salon.com - 2022 Dec 7 - "Katie Hobbs was certified as Arizona's next governor, as Kari Lake's mini-Trump act fizzles out in MAGA frustration"

Reruns of the Jan. 6 insurrection in state capitals?
In the days before the election, Homeland Security and the FBI circulated a memo warning of a "heightened threat" of election violence that might target "candidates running for public office, elected officials, election workers, political rallies, political party representatives, racial and religious minorities, or perceived ideological opponents."

Instead what happened, for the most part, was nothing, thank goodness. Most of the Trumpy candidates seeking swing-state offices that would give them control over the 2024 presidential election lost. They complained but mostly didn't try to fight the results. And none of them actually incited violence in an effort to steal those elections. Maybe that's a modest win for democracy, but it counts.
Except for Kari Lake.
On Monday, Lake's moribund coup effort fizzled out as Arizona officials certified the election in a placid document-signing ceremony, utterly free of screaming Proud Boys trying to smash in cop heads or hang election officials. Sure, Lake is trying to save face with endless tweets about a "crooked election," and still shows up to bellyache on Steve Bannon's podcast. (When does his sentence start again?) But she's almost certainly reached the end of the road. Even the two Republican-controlled counties who initially refused to certify the election finally capitulated to reality and court orders, and did their duty.
No big march on state-gov't buildings in AZ capital Phoenix.

Kari Lake's "forever coup" is what the future looks like — until we start to see real consequences | Salon.com - "As long as the money flows and legal sanctions don't, Trump and his allies see no reason to quit"

But at least this has happened: Arizona judge rules out sanctions against Kari Lake but orders $33,000 in fees

"Lake was ordered to compensate expert witnesses that testified in the trial over the lawsuit."
The big picture: Thompson rejected Lake's legal bid last week, ruling she did not prove that election officials committed misconduct that would've changed the outcome of the race.
  • The dismissal confirmed Hobbs' victory in the race.
  • During her campaign, Lake — a Trump-backed candidate who pushed baseless election denial claims — stated that she would contest an unfavorable outcome in the election.

Kari Lake was recently interviewed by Larry Elder, a black right-winger who ran against Gavin Newsom in the recall election of 2021.
Kari Lake Says She Would Have Been Graceful if She'd Lost Arizona Election
In an interview on The Larry Elder Show on Epoch TV, Lake described how those who are disputing her election lawsuits, which have been rejected by a Maricopa County Superior Court judge while citing lack of evidence, have "picked the wrong woman to mess with" following confirmation the Republican will be appealing the ruling.

Kari Lake Posts Three Word Response to Demand for Hand Recount in Arizona
Lake was responding to a post from Cory McGarr, a conservative member-elect of the Arizona House of Representatives. In his tweet, McGarr pushed for the hand recount and said: "If there's nothing to hide there's nothing to fear."

McGarr also tagged Abraham Hamadeh, a Lake ally and former GOP candidate for Arizona attorney general who challenged the results of his own recent election after he lost. A recent recount in that race confirmed that Hamadeh had, in fact, lost to his Democratic opponent Kris Mayes—although by a slimmer margin than the initial tally.
Cory McGarr on Twitter: "We need a full hand recount of all AZ ballots. If there’s nothing to hide there’s nothing to fear.
@AbrahamHamadeh" / Twitter

then her three words:
Kari Lake on Twitter: "Yes. We. Do." / Twitter

Back
Top Bottom