• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post 2022 Election

Opinion: Hakeem Jeffries is the right leader at the right time | CNN - "Opinion: The Generation X, hip-hop-quoting congressman who’s taking a big step"
US Rep. Hakeem Jeffries’ election to be the first Black minority leader in American history reflects the potential, possibility and power of multiracial democracy. The 52-year-old congressman representing New York’s 8th Congressional District in Brooklyn and Queens, reflects both a generational and cultural shift from retiring House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, whose legendary tenure made her a trailblazing feminist icon and an impeccably dressed breaker of glass ceilings, unafraid of tussling in public with former President Donald Trump.

When Jeffries elucidated the case for impeaching Trump on the Senate floor in 2020, he ended by dropping a gem of a quote from the late, beloved Brooklyn-based rapper, the Notorious B.I.G. — “And if you don’t know, now you know.
However,
Last year, Jeffries observed, “The extreme left is obsessed with talking trash about mainstream Democrats on Twitter, when the majority of the electorate constitute mainstream Democrats at the polls.”

On this score Jeffries has helped organize a political action committee, Team Blue, to defend Democratic incumbents against being primaried from the left, ...
So they won't go the way of Joe Crowley and Eliot Engel and Dan Lipinski and Lacy Clay and Kurt Schrader, unseated by AOC and Jamaal Bowman and Marie Newman and Cori Bush and Jamie McLeod-Skinner.

Last edited:
Opinion: Hakeem Jeffries is the right leader at the right time | CNN - "Opinion: The Generation X, hip-hop-quoting congressman who’s taking a big step"
US Rep. Hakeem Jeffries’ election to be the first Black minority leader in American history reflects the potential, possibility and power of multiracial democracy. The 52-year-old congressman representing New York’s 8th Congressional District in Brooklyn and Queens, reflects both a generational and cultural shift from retiring House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, whose legendary tenure made her a trailblazing feminist icon and an impeccably dressed breaker of glass ceilings, unafraid of tussling in public with former President Donald Trump.

When Jeffries elucidated the case for impeaching Trump on the Senate floor in 2020, he ended by dropping a gem of a quote from the late, beloved Brooklyn-based rapper, the Notorious B.I.G. — “And if you don’t know, now you know.
However,
Last year, Jeffries observed, “The extreme left is obsessed with talking trash about mainstream Democrats on Twitter, when the majority of the electorate constitute mainstream Democrats at the polls.”

On this score Jeffries has helped organize a political action committee, Team Blue, to defend Democratic incumbents against being primaried from the left, ...
So they won't go the way of Joe Crowley and Eliot Engel and Dan Lipinski and Lacy Clay and Kurt Schrader, unseated by AOC and Jamaal Bowman and Marie Newman and Cori Bush and Jamie McLeod-Skinner.
No, and they fucking shouldn't. How many more alt-right judges do you want on the courts?! When the fuck are some people going to learn America isn't a +40 D district!?

AOC wouldn't win a Senate race in Arizona or West Virginia (or house race in West Virginia). We need a progressive wing of the party... we also need a progressive wing of the party that gets that are part of a balancing act for the Democrats.

Hakeem Jeffries meets with Squad members during progressive outreach - "Scoop: Jeffries' progressive bridge-building"

Mentioning meetings of him and Progressive Caucus head Pramila Jayapal, AOC, Cori Bush, Ilhan Omar, and Jamaal Bowman.
And why are we still talking about Ilhan Omar? That person shouldn't be in Congress!
Why not?
She's an idiot. You ever hear her talk? She clearly was able to get into this position by being at the right place, right time, in front of the right people. Ocasio-Cortez has an appeal that implies she has a decent amount of room for improvement and growth as a person and politician. Omar looks like a train wreck. And I think "progressives" like Omar do a ton more damage to the cause than help it. Ocasio-Cortez at least knows how to play the game.

Omar looks like a train wreck. And I think "progressives" like Omar do a ton more damage to the cause than help it. Ocasio-Cortez at least knows how to play the game.
Yup. Omar is a blunt instrument of rare and brief utility. AOC is a force, and probably for the long term.

She's an idiot. You ever hear her talk?

What do you mean about how she talks? I never thought of Omar as an idiot, just politically naive and self-centered, she has trouble seeing things from other people's point of view. She's learning and has had fewer missteps lately.

AOC wouldn't win a Senate race in Arizona or West Virginia (or house race in West Virginia). We need a progressive wing of the party... we also need a progressive wing of the party that gets that are part of a balancing act for the Democrats.
I am not even sure she could win a Senate race in New York.

She is welcome to try against Kirsten Gillibrand in 2024 though. Primarying Democrats is her MO after all, but in this case she'd be doing us all a favor.

Been a nerve-wracking night :nervous: but Warnock has been hitting the precinct numbers he needs to win. :cheer:

Neck and neck. It's going to come down at the wire.

Pardon me for the cliches.

Bye bye, Mitch McTurtle. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I hope the door hits you on the ass on the way out.

Back
Top Bottom