• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $550. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

laughing dog

Contributor
Today my daughter did locate the den. She was looking around under the parch and saw a hole and a young skunk poked it's nose out and my daughter screamed. I got all of the berry bushes out of the cat fence and the side. I read that skunks hate the smell of used cat liter so we spread it around the hole in an oval except for where they go out the lattice into the yard. I also read that skunks will leave a den that is flooded in light so I have set up a flood light that I'll shine on the hole starting after dark when I'd expect that the skunks will be out again. Then I'll also spread more used cat litter at the hole and around the area.

I hope that they relocate on their own.

Wish me luck!
If your luck is not good with that, try fox urine. (www.predatorpeestore.com/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks-with-predatorpee.html).

Arctish

Contributor
Today my daughter did locate the den. She was looking around under the parch and saw a hole and a young skunk poked it's nose out and my daughter screamed. I got all of the berry bushes out of the cat fence and the side. I read that skunks hate the smell of used cat liter so we spread it around the hole in an oval except for where they go out the lattice into the yard. I also read that skunks will leave a den that is flooded in light so I have set up a flood light that I'll shine on the hole starting after dark when I'd expect that the skunks will be out again. Then I'll also spread more used cat litter at the hole and around the area.

Wish me luck!
If your luck is not good with that, try fox urine. (www.predatorpeestore.com/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks-with-predatorpee.html).

You might also consider low level harassment like you've been doing for the next couple of weeks, and only step up the pressure in August. The young skunks might be too young for their mother to take them in search of a new den just yet, but you'll definitely want them out by mid-September.

Is there a place on your property where you wouldn't mind them living, like a deadfall in the woods? You might encourage them to consider it by leaving a few cat treats on it at night. Perhaps a small woodpile in front of it would make it more appealing.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wish me luck!

You might also consider low level harassment like you've been doing for the next couple of weeks, and only step up the pressure in August. The young skunks might be too young for their mother to take them in search of a new den just yet, but you'll definitely want them out by mid-September.

Is there a place on your property where you wouldn't mind them living, like a deadfall in the woods? You might encourage them to consider it by leaving a few cat treats on it at night. Perhaps a small woodpile in front of it would make it more appealing.

The first plan failed. Cat litter and the light.

I'm waiting for my wife to head out for a trip to the house in Maine to prepare for the 5 of us and two cats to to go up later. She uses the porch as an office and she wants me to wait on plan B until she is away. Plan B is to spray all over the place with stinky ammonia and turn a portable radio on 24 hours a day. I may also set up flashy Xmas lights all around the wood pile.

I strongly doubt that the mother is still around. I think she took off long ago. Last time I saw an adult was back in April. I think the two kids moved in on their own.

I'm fine with the skunks living anywhere else outside around the yard other than inside the cat fence where they are now. The cats hate the cat flap being closed at night. There are wood piles out away from the house in the woods. I just don't know that the skunks would find any scraps before the squirrels and other critters get to them.

I say outside because we have a detached garage and I don't want them moving in there. I've been keeping it closed except to get things to be sure that they don't move in there.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
OK I have a problem. A Skung problem!

A while ago I posted this photo but it's not about the turkey this time. That cat fence and the lattice fencing on the right goes under the porch to the side of the house. It;s a cat fance to keep the cats in.. And on the other side of the porch is the deck. Under the porch is about 2 chords of firewood at least.

At dusk I was out tonight and heard the noise of small animals at the wood lattice fencing. I went out into the cat fence and checked under the porch and there was the skunk inside the fence. I could see recently disturbed dirt. They have dug under the wood lattice and can go in and out. I strongly fear that they have their den inside the fencing under the deck. And of course that's where the cats go and there is a cat flap door under the deck into the basement.

So I have blocked the cat flap of course. But what to do? Tomorrow during daylight I will investigate closer. The skunks should be asleep.

I just went out the porch door onto the deck and looked down into the yard and there was a young skunk in the middle of the yard inside the fence. When it saw me it went under the porch.

CRAP CRAP. I hope not but fear that they have their den inside the fence under the porch. So far I think that it's at least two young ones. I haven't seen any full gown ones around the fence.

CRAP CRAP.

Get a portable radio, and set it up on an obnoxious station, and put it where they seem to be nesting. Disturb their daytime beauty rest and they will leave.

Mediancat

Super Moderator
Staff member
been a while. Apologies.

brew 5.jpg

A zabulon skipper.

chew 7.jpg

A snowberry clearwing.

chew 14.jpg

A young spotted sandpiper.

clew 12.jpg

A hummingbird clearwing.

crew 11.jpg

A black swallowtail.

few 14.jpg

And an eastern bluebird.

Rob

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been bad at posting here for a while mainly because my photos are mostly the same-old same old.

I got something rarer for me a could days ago. A large spotted salamander was coming down the driveway. Though usually these guys are out at night.

This was perhaps 7-8 inches. Big for a salamander.

I guess he can't help looking pleased with himself.

2020 10 14 12 29 53.JPG

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple nights ago after dark there was a raccoon in the front yard. I took a photo while shining a flashlight on it. Not great but it's definitely a raccoon.

2020 11 18 18 01 07.JPG

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found this guy walking across the road:

Tarantula.jpg

(While it technically is a road I was hiking on it as I don't have a car suitable to drive down it to the actual trail I was after.)

Vegas, beware, it's coming!!

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The raccoon has been back. I don't know why it likes my front lawn so much. It's a front lawn like any other front lawn. While at the edge of the lawn up by the road there are acorns and chestnuts on the ground it's not spending time there. I don't think I have more bugs/worms in my lawn than any other average lawn. There are no berries where it is. There are lots of berries on the other side of the house. So it's a puzzle. He's not interested in the trash bin.

But anyway, I got a much better photo last night. He was very very shy of me but didn't run like hell away but did keep trying to get away from me while still very interested in staying on the law. Here it is by a cedar tree. It's well after dark. Between my high intensity flashlight and the flash on the camera this came out pretty well.

2020 11 22 22 23 03.JPG

spikepipsqueak

My Brane Hertz
Staff member
Well the young skunks are using the entire wood piles to stay during the day. One was out in the cat fence tonight and when I shined a flashlight at it it just went under the wood pile. I have not seen any adults.

I think tomorrow or the next day i need to try something new. A radio on all night and I need to get some ammonia and a sprayer to spray as much under and on top of the wood pile as possible. The wood is just too much to move and not with skunks under it!

I'm still keeping the cats in at night and blocking the cat flap.

I guess I need to go to the hardware store for a new sprayer and ammonia.

How's your skunk problem?

We discourage determined wombats with 500g of ground black pepper. Might help.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the young skunks are using the entire wood piles to stay during the day. One was out in the cat fence tonight and when I shined a flashlight at it it just went under the wood pile. I have not seen any adults.

I think tomorrow or the next day i need to try something new. A radio on all night and I need to get some ammonia and a sprayer to spray as much under and on top of the wood pile as possible. The wood is just too much to move and not with skunks under it!

I'm still keeping the cats in at night and blocking the cat flap.

I guess I need to go to the hardware store for a new sprayer and ammonia.

How's your skunk problem?

We discourage determined wombats with 500g of ground black pepper. Might help.

Ah yes. When we went to Maine in August i set a radio out there on top of the wood pile and put it just not tuned right to a punk rock station. It sounded terrible. I set up a floodlight and dumped 5 half gallon bottles of ammonia through the wood pike onto the dirt. They appear to have moved out.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Found this guy walking across the road:

View attachment 30421

(While it technically is a road I was hiking on it as I don't have a car suitable to drive down it to the actual trail I was after.)

Vegas, beware, it's coming!!

How big is it?

I'd say the body was about 1" across.

You haven't seen a mad scientist with a striking resemblance to Leo G Carroll hanging around out there, have you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula!

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say the body was about 1" across.

You haven't seen a mad scientist with a striking resemblance to Leo G Carroll hanging around out there, have you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula!

I didn't see much of anyone out there. Given all the idiots we have around here I have deliberately been hiking trails that don't see much use to minimize the amount of time I need to hike with a mask on.

It was heading straight for the city when I saw it.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found a flock of Vice Presidents in the front yard:

VicePresidents.jpg

Unfortunately, they promptly departed and this was the best shot I was able to get--if I had gone in for a real camera I would have gotten nothing at all. This is maybe 1/3 of the whole group.

Amelia

Spammer
Isn't it Cute???

cheeky-2877762_960_720.jpg

Attachments

• cheeky-squirrel_.jpg
    cheeky-squirrel_.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Speaking of squirrels, three of the little buggers have been chasing each other like mad through our front and back yards, along the roof, through the trees, etc. Is it mating season? Is this a menage a trois?

Here's one of them in one of the rare moments it stopped to rest (outside my office window).

squirrel.png

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Took my mom for drive around Antelope Island on sunday. Lots of bison about, and one porcupine. :)

Didn't see any antelope this time out. Not sure what part of the island they hang around in the winter.
Porupine-01.jpg
bison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
No photos but for about the last years I've marked the first day to hear spring peepers in this thread and the old one at Secular web.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
20210706_123616.jpg

This cute little thief showed up while I was eating. I'm not sure if his plan was to gnaw through my pack or climb up it and dash inside but I have little doubt that he associated backpacks with food and understood the low threat level posed by humans--this photo is at about 2.5' from my phone, maybe 4' from my body. My pack is against the log just below the frame. I didn't give him a chance to demonstrate what his plan was just in case it was gnaw. (There was a spot he could hide behind my pack out of my field of view. I ran him off each time he went there.)

Raintree, Mt. Charleston, 7/6/21.

funinspace

Veteran Member
The other morning a red tail decided our deck rail was a place to hang out. Much nicer view (for us), than its usual perches in the tops of big fir trees...but after a few pics it decided it had enough of our peering about.

20210703_080236.jpg20210703_080232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about bears, but deer definitely do shit in the woods:
P1000043.JPG

Mt. Charleston, South Loop Trail, close to 10,000' up.

crazyfingers

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sure has been a while since I posted any photos here. I've been a slacker. I've wanted to but it sometimes seems so much work to resize files.

But today I was just out enjoying the fall colors and brisk temps and was driving down the road and all of a sudden saw this along the lake. It was a surprise to see one here in my home town. I usually see them in Maine. It was very cooperative. Too bad bald eagles are thieves. 2021 10 24 12 57 27a.JPG2021 10 24 12 57 29a.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom