• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Price Waterhouse analyst murdered in his home by police

In refreshing my own memory on the laws in my particular state, the thought occurred to me that it can be argued that cops cannot commit manslaughter.. only murder. One of the circumstances that elevates manslaughter to murder is the status of the victim. If the victim is "especially vulnerable" to the attack that results in their death, then manslaughter is elevated to murder. It can be argued that all civilians are "especially vulnerable" to police officers because of their equipment, training, support, and the requisite assumption that police are acting in the population's best interest. All of these elements contribute to anyone being "especially vulnerable" to police in particular.
So anytime a cop kills a person it is murder... first degree, felony, second degree, or justified... it's all still murder by legal definition... now that I am thinking more about it.

In one chain of text messages between Guyger and others, they lamented having to work the Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade in January 2015.

A person in the chain asked of the parade, “When does this end lol.”

Guyger replied, “When MLK is dead…oh wait…”

In a March 9, 2018 exchange of text messages with a married officer and her former police partner, Martin Rivera, with whom Guyger was having a sexual relationship, she mocked black officers.

“Damn I was at this area with 5 different black officers !!! Not racists but damn,” Rivera wrote.

“Not racist but just have a different way of working and it shows,” Guyger replied.

Guyger, who is white, testified that after working long hours on September 6, 2018, she returned to her Dallas apartment complex. In uniform but off duty, she approached what she thought was her apartment. She noticed the door was partially open, saw a man inside who she believed to be an intruder, and fired her service weapon, killing him.

But she was actually at the apartment directly above hers — which belonged to the 26-year-old Jean, who was black. Prosecutors said Jean had been on the couch in his shorts, watching TV and eating vanilla ice cream when Guyger walked in.

Another text message exchange introduced at her sentencing occurred just two days before Guyger fatally shot Jean.

On September 4, 2018, a person named Ethridge appeared to playfully offer to give Guyger a German shepherd.

“Although she may be racist,” Ethridge wrote.

“I wish I could have one,” Guyger responded. “But not in this apartment :( smaller than my old one.” She added seconds later, “It’s okay, I’m the same.”
https://fox2now.com/2019/10/02/ambe...xt-messages-introduced-at-sentencing-hearing/

That last text I don't understand what else it could mean, other than that she's racist, but probably it was a joke.

If she holds racist views, then that might have adversely influenced her perception of the level of threat.

However, even with that, if it were true, then ......without prior intent, and if it was (as it seems to be) a mistake (wrong apartment, misjudged threat) then I think manslaughter would be appropriate. Not that I'm a lawyer or anything. I'm not.

Last edited:
Jean's brother gave a victim's statement asking for leniency and forgave and hugged the officer.

When police officers kill civilians without justification, they generally get convicted of murder or manslaughter.
People who make stupid memes like this one think that police should be convicted of murder every time they kill a perp. Or at the very least when they kill a perp who is black.
But vast majority of police shootings are completely justified.
Look at some recent cases from killedbypolice.net.
For 8/28, the latest date available, we have a guy who stabbed his grandmother and advanced at police with a knife, a guy who threatened police with a gun (and who shot at police in an earlier instance) and a another guy who threatened police with a gun.

Why do you think police in these cases should be convicted?

When police officers kill civilians without justification, they generally get convicted of murder or manslaughter.
People who make stupid memes like this one think that police should be convicted of murder every time they kill a perp. Or at the very least when they kill a perp who is black.
For 8/28, the latest date available, we have a guy who stabbed his grandmother and advanced at police with a knife, a guy who threatened police with a gun (and who shot at police in an earlier instance) and a another guy who threatened police with a gun.

I think that you missed PH's point. I think that PH is saying that people are overly eating up this conviction and perhaps piling on because she was a cop. It's a very sad situation, tragic for all. And IMO, overcharging her won't bring justice for Blacks who were overcharged in the past...

Jean's brother gave a victim's statement asking for leniency and forgave and hugged the officer.
Man, the Baliff must have been ready to drop a few bricks when he walked up to her... to... *oh thank goodness* give her a hug.

That was a touching scene. I was disgusted by those who thought she should have gotten more than 10 years. I would have given her 5, as she's not going to be a threat to society once she gets out, she will live with the guilt of killing an innocent man for the rest of her life and I also don't think that prison should be primarily for punishment. It should be to give the criminal a chance to change and redeem him or herself. Of course, if someone is a psychopath with no chance of changing, then they must be kept away from the rest of society. But, there is no reason why prisons can't be more humane than many of currently are. Remember back when we were supposedly against cruel and unusual punishment? Many of our prisons are very, very cruel. It's disgusting, and privatizing prisons has likely made conditions worse. Our justice system has no justice. But, I digress.

That was a touching scene. I was disgusted by those who thought she should have gotten more than 10 years. I would have given her 5, as she's not going to be a threat to society once she gets out, she will live with the guilt of killing an innocent man for the rest of her life and I also don't think that prison should be primarily for punishment. It should be to give the criminal a chance to change and redeem him or herself. Of course, if someone is a psychopath with no chance of changing, then they must be kept away from the rest of society. But, there is no reason why prisons can't be more humane than many of currently are. Remember back when we were supposedly against cruel and unusual punishment? Many of our prisons are very, very cruel. It's disgusting, and privatizing prisons has likely made conditions worse. Our justice system has no justice. But, I digress.

What bothered me about that scene was just how white it was. When was the last time you saw a black person get convicted of murdering someone in their house while they ate ice cream, get a shot at parole after just 5 years, and hugged by the victim's brother and the judge? Would such a perpetrator be given the lenience of considering "the guilt of killing an innocent man"? I agree with you about the harshness of our prison system, but the issue looks very different from the perspective of blacks whose friends and families have been locked away for life for less, without the hugs.

The judge hugged her too. Does that happen much?

The only 'perp' in this case was the police officer.

Do you think she was sentenced fairly?

Do you think that if the victim in this case had been the person coming home from a rough and long shift and had gone to the wrong apartment and found the shooter in this case in what he thought was his own apartment and then had shot the presumed intruder with his legally obtained/duly registered firearm, that he would have received a similar sentence?

What about hugs from the victim's brother? Hugs from the judge?

And yes: it is rare for police officers to be convicted of anything when they shoot unarmed people who may or may not be 'perps.' I can think of a couple of cases that were discussed on this board, one involving the shooting death of a 12 year old playing in the park who was gunned down on sight by two police officers, one of whom had been deemed unfit for duty by another PD.

Do you think that if the victim in this case had been the person coming home from a rough and long shift and had gone to the wrong apartment and found the shooter in this case in what he thought was his own apartment and then had shot the presumed intruder with his legally obtained/duly registered firearm, that he would have received a similar sentence?

And yes: it is rare for police officers to be convicted of anything when they shoot unarmed people who may or may not be 'perps.' I can think of a couple of cases that were discussed on this board, one involving the shooting death of a 12 year old playing in the park who was gunned down on sight by two police officers, one of whom had been deemed unfit for duty by another PD.

you mean that kid that was terrorizing passers by with a toy gun that was modified to look real (removed the orange plug).. someone called the police... then the kid pointed the toy gun at the police... that poor innocent boy that was growing up to be such a fine young man?

.. "12 year old 'playing' in the park" my fucking ass...

you mean that kid that was terrorizing passers by with a toy gun that was modified to look real (removed the orange plug).. someone called the police... then the kid pointed the toy gun at the police... that poor innocent boy that was growing up to be such a fine young man?

Tamir Rice was playing in the park. He did not terrorize anyone.And he did not point anything at the police.

It is rare when a police officer who does kill an unarmed and/ or nonthreatening civilian is charged, let alone convicted.

I mean the 12 year old who was not terrorizing anybody and who the caller identified as a kid and said that he likely had a toy not a real gun.

No one, and I mean NO ONE was terrorized. There was video of people passing the kid in the park and not showing the slightest amount of alarm, etc. The police shot him. He had the toy in his waist band and was pulling it out AS DIRECTED BY POLICE WHO WERE SCREAMING AT HIM AND SHOT HIM IN UNDER 3 SECONDS.

Yeah. Perfectly nice kid doing a perfectly kid thing to do. And shot dead for it.

Keep your sex life to yourself.

The judge hugged her too. Does that happen much?

When white women cry, even the victims of white supremacy are compelled to comfort them

Jeers broke out in the courtroom when the length of the sentence was announced--people were not satisfied that it was long enough--they wanted 28 years. I hardly think those people felt "compelled" to comfort her.

I was talking about police shootings in general based on that idiotic meme Pyramidhead posted.

10 years seems pretty fair, all things considered.

Probably.

And yes: it is rare for police officers to be convicted of anything when they shoot unarmed people who may or may not be 'perps.'
Unarmed doesn't mean not a threat. There are many cases where unarmed perps arm themselves by attacking police officers.
Example from last month:
Video shows man seize California deputy’s gun, shoot at her in violent attack
Also, news media often consider perps "unarmed" when they are in possession of realistic-looking replicas. Or when they use a car as a weapon.

I can think of a couple of cases that were discussed on this board, one involving the shooting death of a 12 year old playing in the park who was gunned down on sight by two police officers, one of whom had been deemed unfit for duty by another PD.
That 12 year old (Tamir Rice)
- was armed with a realistic looking replica that had orange tip removed to make it resemble a real gun even more
CXVp7OfU0AA8F7V

- had adult-like height and weight (in fact, he had similar height and weight to oft maligned, but fully adult George Zimmerman)

While it is true that one of the officers pulled too close to Rice and the other officer opened fire too quickly, you can't only blame them.

What bothered me about that scene was just how white it was.
What's "white" about a scene where one white woman is hugged by two black people?

When was the last time you saw a black person get convicted of murdering someone in their house while they ate ice cream, get a shot at parole after just 5 years, and hugged by the victim's brother and the judge?
That scenario is so specific I doubt there was a case like that. Also, there are 1000s of murder cases tried in US every year, but we only get to see select few in any detail.

Would such a perpetrator be given the lenience of considering "the guilt of killing an innocent man"? I agree with you about the harshness of our prison system, but the issue looks very different from the perspective of blacks whose friends and families have been locked away for life for less, without the hugs.
I doubt race played a role here. If anything I think her being a police officer made her be judged more harshly.

Back
Top Bottom