• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Problems with ruled notebooks.

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Hi,

I like to keep a diary, writing in soft pencil in a notebook. However, it has been hard to find a suitable plain paper notebook, as they all seem to have ruled lines.

Thing is, ruled lines remind me of school and 'doing it right'. I've tried writing crossways on the page, or even at 45degree angles, but its not suiting me. The lines really get to me, kind of like prison bars. I've just experimented with writing below the lines rather than above, and amazingly, it does feel looser than going above or on top of them. There is just enough disobedience to let it happen. My wife says to “just ignore” the lines but I couldn't do that at all.

Does anyone else have this problem (unlikely) and any suggestions other than calling me a moonbat?

A.

I remember having a notebook that came with blank pages and one page of really bold lines that you slipped behind the sheet you were writing on, to give you lines, but only as a general reference.
As I recall, several of us handed in papers in that manner, because the teacher couldn't actually take points off if we didn't keep it between the lines because there weren't any.
And even if she got a reference line sheet, she couldn't be sure where we'd placed the lines... Fifth graders fighting The Man.

I am not sure where we got such things, but I'm thinking an art supply store rather than a stationary store? Probably primarily for the drawing, but the lines were available if you wanted to write with the things...

But, yes, you're a moonbat, also.

Try looking for (and Googling) A4 sketch books and Derwent visual art diaries. The stock is usually heavier (90gsm or greater) and they are expensive but they are very nice to write in.

Last edited:
Go to an art supply store and buy a sketchbook.

Try looking for (and Googling) A4 sketch books and Derwent visual art diaries. The stock is usually heavier (90gsm or greater) and they are expensive but they are very nice to write in.

Hi,

I totally hadn't thought of sketch books. Yes, there are some A5 books online which just suit me. Not so many pages, so there will be less words but maybe of higher quality!:)

A.

Hi,

I like to keep a diary, writing in soft pencil in a notebook. However, it has been hard to find a suitable plain paper notebook, as they all seem to have ruled lines.

Thing is, ruled lines remind me of school and 'doing it right'. I've tried writing crossways on the page, or even at 45degree angles, but its not suiting me. The lines really get to me, kind of like prison bars. I've just experimented with writing below the lines rather than above, and amazingly, it does feel looser than going above or on top of them. There is just enough disobedience to let it happen. My wife says to “just ignore” the lines but I couldn't do that at all.

Does anyone else have this problem (unlikely) and any suggestions other than calling me a moonbat?

A.

I wish we lived geographically closer. More than 30 years ago I bought 2 beautiful hardbacked blank books with lovely paper that feels brilliant to write on. Intending, like you to keep a diary.

Being my mother's daughter I can't bring myself to defile them with anything less than deathless prose, and most of my inner thoughts don't qualify so I still have them, almost unsullied.

They would be perfect for you. So just go to Myer's in Bourke St. Melb. in about 1985.

Problem solved.

If you can type, move your logs to your computer. That way the space is blank, and you can choose from a variety of nice colours, font-types, sizes, and even alphabets.

This has the added benefit of making your docs reproducible, and easily fed into word analysers, so your obsession with your dentist will become much more obvious ;)

OH the memories of ruled notebooks. :) We used to write along the tops instead of the bottoms, too. I hated the lines, always, except for a phase during which I wrote PERFECTLY on the lines and within the margins at all times. That didn't last long. All my poems and love letters had pictures in the margins. Nowadays, I just as soon write across the lines sideways as not. Their main purpose is to be helpful starters for doodling.

I remember paper. We used to have things called 'pens' that you could use to make marks on it. I was always very bad at it, and I was told with absolute certainty that this would be a major handicap to my success*.

Now it's an unusual month if I am called upon to write anything with a 'pen' even once.

*By the same people who told me that learning to type was for girls, and that men would never need to do it, as they would always have a secretary or a pool typist to do that for them.

OH the memories of ruled notebooks. :) We used to write along the tops instead of the bottoms, too. I hated the lines, always, except for a phase during which I wrote PERFECTLY on the lines and within the margins at all times. That didn't last long. All my poems and love letters had pictures in the margins. Nowadays, I just as soon write across the lines sideways as not. Their main purpose is to be helpful starters for doodling.

Floof,

I love you.:)

A.

Anarchy!
We must have ruling to keep us in line, to impose order and self discipline.
The alternative is chaos.

I like ruled notebooks.

What I don't like is spiral notebooks and I get to the point where the side of my writing hand is resting on the spiral itself. The metal gets bent out of shape, my hand doesn't lay flat against the page, and my handwriting suffers.

But the thought of writing text on unruled paper doesn't appeal to me.

The notebooks have a choice of lining or otherwise and there's a pocket in the back to keep odd pieces of paper. They're a bit priceyfor the average user but in countries like Italy sales are booming.

Me? I prefer to type onto my laptop and when I use it, the tablet.

I think some Card Makers, similar to Hallmark but without he mass production, have a couple types of un-lined notebooks. Also, an aunt of mine used to buy heavy grade paper, sheets of cardboard and something called sticky contact paper? she used to make un-lined books that she did calligraphy in. I think my primary school did the same, for when we wrote our own stories into boo. My teacher went to a copy shop to get the supplies. It only ends up cheaper if you're making a classroom full, but on the bright side: plenty of un-lined notebooks with your own chosen designs on them to use.

Back
Top Bottom