• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Project 2025

Thanks. I wondered if we had discussed this before. Feel free to add my posts to the other thread. I am a bit surprised that there were so few responses to this topic, considering how many trivial things we discuss on this board.

These people are serious. Of course, if Biden wins in November, they won't be able to achieve their goals. Their goals are an attack on democracy and they are recruiting volunteers to help them achieve their goals.
I think there wasn't much discussion because it's indefensible. When nobody will take the other side there tends to be very little discussion.

Thanks. I wondered if we had discussed this before. Feel free to add my posts to the other thread. I am a bit surprised that there were so few responses to this topic, considering how many trivial things we discuss on this board.

These people are serious. Of course, if Biden wins in November, they won't be able to achieve their goals. Their goals are an attack on democracy and they are recruiting volunteers to help them achieve their goals.
I think there wasn't much discussion because it's indefensible. When nobody will take the other side there tends to be very little discussion.

From the looks of it, I am not so certain "if Biden wins in November" is really the balm you think it is.

From the looks of it, I am not so certain "if Biden wins in November" is really the balm you think it is.
I suspect we’d be better off in the long run if SCOTUS disqualifies Trump from holding office, and we end up with a slightly less treasonous Republican president after a period of pre-election turmoil.
If Trump makes the general election ticket, we are in for an epic upheaval, no matter who “wins”. It’s virtually certain that Trump would lose the popular vote again, likely by an eight digit number of votes, but he may eke out an electoral “victory” on the subversion efforts of his co-conspirators.

Of course the ideal scenario is; Trump dies in his sleep in the next couple of months and the GQP puts forward another one of its myriad MAGAt morons to run against Biden.

I suspect we’d be better off in the long run if SCOTUS disqualifies Trump from holding office, and we end up with a slightly less treasonous Republican president after a period of pre-election turmoil.
If Trump makes the general election ticket, we are in for an epic upheaval, no matter who “wins”. It’s virtually certain that Trump would lose the popular vote again, likely by an eight digit number of votes, but he may eke out an electoral “victory” on the subversion efforts of his co-conspirators.

Of course the ideal scenario is; Trump dies in his sleep in the next couple of months and the GQP puts forward another one of its myriad MAGAt morons to run against Biden.
Yeah. I would hope Trump just drops dead at a time inconvenient to the GQP, but I'm not going to hang my hopes on that.

I'm much more interested in hanging my hopes on a DAFT visa.

I'm abysmally ignorant about the ins and outs of foreign residency. Does the DAFT visa require that you are a critical person within a business entity? Can a senior residing overseas collect social security or use medicare? And many more questions...

If I had to renounce the benefits of citizenship it would mean a significant cut in my lifestyle. But probably not as significant a hit as living under a trump-run kleptocracy.

I'm abysmally ignorant about the ins and outs of foreign residency. Does the DAFT visa require that you are a critical person within a business entity? Can a senior residing overseas collect social security or use medicare? And many more questions...

If I had to renounce the benefits of citizenship it would mean a significant cut in my lifestyle. But probably not as significant a hit as living under a trump-run kleptocracy.
DAFT is just "have 5000 euros in your account and a business entity addressed in the Netherlands at a properly zoned address".

Your business could be whatever, really.

My husband runs a merch company already as a contractor to a larger corporation, and we can relocate the business entity to NL really easily...

I'm not sure if you can collect US benefits while abroad, but you keep your US passport until such a time as you choose to apply for citizenship, at which case NL citizenship gets you more than US citizenship ever could... In addition to access to the rest of Europe.

I'm not sure if you can collect US benefits while abroad, but you keep your US passport until such a time as you choose to apply for citizenship, at which case NL citizenship gets you more than US citizenship ever could... In addition to access to the rest of Europe.
I'm pretty sure you can keep your SS benefits and maybe keep your Medicare, but it would basically be useless since no providers would accept it.

One option to consider (depending on the country) is boarding a cruise ship for medical services that Medicare might cover. There are restrictions related to the ship's location in relation to US ports (including Us Territories) when the medical services are provided. :whistle:

You definitely can collect your SS regardless of which country you move to. There are some expensive types of Medicare that cover some care while traveling out of the country, but I don't know if there is a permanent Medicare coverage that can be used in a foreign country, but all or most countries that have Universal Healthcare will also allow foreigners who move to their country, use the county's healthcare system. There may be premiums and I'm sure it varies by country. I'm just not going to relocate to another country at my age. I would have considered it 20 or so years ago, but I'll stick it out here. I can understand a member of certain minorities, not wanting to stay here, if the Republicans gain the power they would potentially be in great danger or at least their rights would be more restricted.

No president is perfect or a balm, but imo, this coming election is the most critical one in my lifetime. A lot of lies have been told about Biden, coming from both sides. But, compared to other presidents in my lifetime, he's done fine, especially considering the challenges he has both inherited or have developed during his time in office. This is especially true of foreign policy. Congress has just as big a role as the president, but we can see how dysfunctional Congress has become lately. Yet, people blame the president for the lack of getting bills passed.

SCOTUS is stacked against progressive agenda. So, we have a lot of problems and need to be realistic. The Republicans have detailed plans and lots of cult members to totally change the way the government is supposed to be run, along with giving more power to an already unleashed sociopath. There is no choice but to vote for Biden, regardless if you see him as flawed, as all humans are, or that you don't agree with his policies or anything else. Even Liz Cheney, who doesn't agree with any liberal policy or with most of Biden's policies, is going to vote for Biden because she values democracy more than her party. After reading a lot of those 2025 plans, as well as reading about the disinformation site known as Gate Pundit, I have no respect for any American voter who doesn't vote for the Democrats in this fall's election.

Trump is a dangerous spellbinder but like someone here posted a year or two ago not a very smart spellbinder. You have to worry about the smart spellbinder who comes after Trump learning from his mistakes and willing to implement agenda 2025 if Trump does not win this year.

I know that political parties can be made illegal. The Communist Party was in Texas for years and it was a death penalty offense to be a party member here. It never was enforced to such an extreme...but

I think a political party should have the right to exist and hold candidates in elections only if it agrees to a basic understanding and acceptance of certain societal expectations for government, like respect for the democratic vote, freedom of religion, right to protest, right of the public to petition, civil rights for minorities, . If it can't agree then it can field candidates in elections.

You have to worry about the smart spellbinder who comes after Trump learning from his mistakes and willing to implement agenda 2025 if Trump does not win this year.
IMHO the extent to which we have to worry about that will depend on the size of the fracas following another Trump loss this November. The bigger, more violent the aftermath, the longer it will be until people forget about it and let the scumbags try again.

Yes. And the people behind this will always find something to stir up the passions.

You have to worry about the smart spellbinder who comes after Trump learning from his mistakes and willing to implement agenda 2025 if Trump does not win this year.
IMHO the extent to which we have to worry about that will depend on the size of the fracas following another Trump loss this November. The bigger, more violent the aftermath, the longer it will be until people forget about it and let the scumbags try again.
Doubtful. The reason the last incident was so big was because Trump was in office. He didn't prepare the capital even though the event was predicted, he didn't send reinforcements when it actually happened. Neither of thos ewill happen again.

It actually reminds me of the accusations against Hillary Clinton over the Ben Ghazi incident.

After reading quite a few sections of this Project 2025 plan, it appears as if it's scarier than Trump. Trump is dangerous one madman who will eventually die, possibly in the near future, but the threat that the current Republican Party has become, may not be easy to subdue. Who would have thought that a dumbass theocrat like Mike Johnson would become Speaker? People believe all kinds of disinformation and autocracy is on the rise in many parts of the world. What is wrong with Sapiens?

Don't know the DAFT visa, but I have done some looking on what it would take to get out of Dodge.

1) You can live overseas while retaining US citizenship. The only reasons to renounce are because you want to acquire another citizenship that doesn't permit dual citizenship (my wife did not formally renounce her Chinese citizenship, but implicitly did so in acquiring US citizenship because China doesn't permit dual citizenship other than by minors (or 21??) acquired through birth--as an adult you must pick one and give up the other), or if the tax/financial headaches of US citizenship are too burdensome.

2) Social Security works fine overseas unless you're in a sanctioned country.

3) Medicare is useless overseas. You would have to make your own insurance arrangements. Do not expect US-level medical care!

The limiting factor is residency in any place you would want to live is hard to get. Some places permit repeated visits that add up to most of your time, though--hop across the border and then come back in. I imagine that could prove problematic if you end up in the hospital for a while.

Medicare is useless overseas. You would have to make your own insurance arrangements. Do not expect US-level medical care!
Most first world countries, you should very definitely expect US-level care, or better, certainly for urgent care/ER visits.

Most such places have insurance automatically for taxpayers, so if you're allowed to work, you're probably covered - but the rules vary a lot from country to country.

If you're not covered in that way, insurance is typically FAR cheaper than it would be in the US. Typically healthcare is covered by travel insurance, (as long as you're not going to the USA).

I have a four year degree in History and some grad work. I've been in retail management for twenty years. I doubt any country would want me. That's okay. I'll stick it out here and fight with others the best I can. Sooner or later if Trump or a future smarter Trump like person does take over they no doubt are going to try to conquer other countries and fill their pockets with loot. So you leaving may not be safe long anyway.

I can be in Canada in a good bit under two hours. Spent a lot of childhood vacations in Canada and absolutely loved it.

Back
Top Bottom