• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Questions For Women

Why do women have to have about 11 pillows on their bed, when each person needs only 1, or 2 at most? Ladies spend a lot of time arranging these useless, unused pillows on the bed at 8am, then take them all off again at 10pm just prior to going to bed. It makes absolutely zero sense. Think of all the time wasted over a lifetime putting them on the bed, then taking them off a few hours later. And for what? That's time that could have been better spent helping poor people or inventing some new kind of efficient jet fuel that could curb climate change.

It provides variety in the bedroom.

Pillows provide a nice decorative element through a variety of colors, shapes, textures and patterns. You can vary the look seasonally, or as you grow tired of something.

I'm a huge sucker for textiles and went through a phase of having too many pillows on the sofa--because I liked the way they looked, not for any utilitarian reason. .

Surely you are not going to try to convince us that your wife's pillow habit is keeping you from inventing a more efficient jet fuel?

Why do women have to have about 11 pillows on their bed, when each person needs only 1, or 2 at most? Ladies spend a lot of time arranging these useless, unused pillows on the bed at 8am, then take them all off again at 10pm just prior to going to bed. It makes absolutely zero sense. Think of all the time wasted over a lifetime putting them on the bed, then taking them off a few hours later. And for what? That's time that could have been better spent helping poor people or inventing some new kind of efficient jet fuel that could curb climate change.

Pillows provide a nice decorative element through a variety of colors, shapes, textures and patterns. You can vary the look seasonally, or as you grow tired of something.

I'm a huge sucker for textiles and went through a phase of having too many pillows on the sofa--because I liked the way they looked, not for any utilitarian reason. .

Surely you are not going to try to convince us that your wife's pillow habit is keeping you from inventing a more efficient jet fuel?

I'm not married, but a past girlfriend was into the decorative pillow nonsense. I don't think I can even count how many pillows I put on and took off her bed during our time together. It was maddening to me each time. I felt like Sisyphus. Later we watched the movie Along Came Polly (with Ben Stiller as a recently divorced man, and Jennifer Aniston as his free spirited girlfriend) and we both had a good chuckle about it. I think she was able to see where I was coming from after that. Maybe you should liberate yourself like in the movie?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVWECam8EA[/YOUTUBE]

My comment about inventing an efficient jet fuel was obviously tongue in cheek. It was just a way to get a point about "wasted time" across in a rather hyperbolic way.

Why do men seem to think that women dress to please them? We don't! Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.

(This post will probably reveal more about my lack of with-it-ness than anything else, but here goes.)
So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine? Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.

I'm not married, but a past girlfriend was into the decorative pillow nonsense. I don't think I can even count how many pillows I put on and took off her bed during our time together. It was maddening to me each time. I felt like Sisyphus. Later we watched the movie Along Came Polly (with Ben Stiller as a recently divorced man, and Jennifer Aniston as his free spirited girlfriend) and we both had a good chuckle about it. I think she was able to see where I was coming from after that. Maybe you should liberate yourself like in the movie?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVWECam8EA[/YOUTUBE]

My comment about inventing an efficient jet fuel was obviously tongue in cheek. It was just a way to get a point about "wasted time" across in a rather hyperbolic way.

Why do you think I need to 'liberate myself?'

I'm pretty happy with my aesthetic sense.

Also you should probably read more carefully.

disclaimer: i'm going to be referring to human nature and psychology on a macro level. i'm not a psychic and i'm not delving the secrets of humanity out of anybody's brain, for all i know SH is the one human in the history of the planet earth who grew up in a bubble and never experienced cultural factors and is a pristine android immune to social influence.
barring that, my responses are predicated on the reality of human social engineering and the psychological motivations behind many of our actions due to us evolving as social animals.

Why do men seem to think that women dress to please them?
because you do.
(or, to please women, in the case of lesbians)

We don't!
yes you do.

Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.
and *why* exactly do you do that?
i've seen women doll themselves up a hundred times and then claim they're doing it for themselves, and every excuse i've ever heard was a shallow attempt to justify it being some personal choice.

if you like how you look, it's because you perceive how you look being desirable to your preferred potential mate type.
if dressing 'sexy' makes you feel confident, your confidence is in feeling like men are looking at you and liking it.

this is all true of men too btw, i'm not just slagging on women - *everyone* dresses in a way that they feel signals to their preferred mate type. nobody dresses "just for them" like they live in some vacuum where the gaze of others isn't a factor.

you know who "dresses for themselves"? the people at walmart you occasionally see a picture of where a shirtless old woman has her tits tucked into the top of her sweat pants.
anyone who puts even a modicum of attention into their fashion is doing so to display to potential mates.

So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine?
not a woman but i'll take a stab at this because i have a couple life experiences that make me suited to address the topic.

the consensus is that most men find it unpleasant and/or unattractive, and since most of everything both men and women do is to appear attractive to their preferred mate-type, if you're a woman you shave your armpits because men like it.

as a man myself when i was 16 and fell in love for the first time it was with a quirky girl who extolled at length about how 'icky' she found body hair to me, and being so enamored with her it bordered on worship i got into the habit of shaving my armpits and pubic area.
after we split i found that her attitude and my response to it had just kinda stuck, so now at 41 i still keep up with shaving those areas - partially out of habit, partially out of a personal preference that kind of developed over the years.

so TL;DR - the why is that other people expect you to or prefer you to and you end up incorporating that expectation into your personal sense of self.
also, shaving your armpits is an absolutely astounding reduction in B.O.

Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.
in my experience it's rarely if ever an issue on the day you shave, or for a few days after - the real bitch of it comes 3-5 days later when you start sprouting the tips of hair and your armpits turn into inverted sandpaper.
but on a day to day scale, the razor burn and general after-effects of shaving are usually much milder on pits/crotch than it is on the face, so it's a whole other thing.

disclaimer: i'm going to be referring to human nature and psychology on a macro level. i'm not a psychic and i'm not delving the secrets of humanity out of anybody's brain, for all i know SH is the one human in the history of the planet earth who grew up in a bubble and never experienced cultural factors and is a pristine android immune to social influence.
barring that, my responses are predicated on the reality of human social engineering and the psychological motivations behind many of our actions due to us evolving as social animals.

because you do.
(or, to please women, in the case of lesbians)

yes you do.

Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.
and *why* exactly do you do that?
i've seen women doll themselves up a hundred times and then claim they're doing it for themselves, and every excuse i've ever heard was a shallow attempt to justify it being some personal choice.

if you like how you look, it's because you perceive how you look being desirable to your preferred potential mate type.
if dressing 'sexy' makes you feel confident, your confidence is in feeling like men are looking at you and liking it.

this is all true of men too btw, i'm not just slagging on women - *everyone* dresses in a way that they feel signals to their preferred mate type. nobody dresses "just for them" like they live in some vacuum where the gaze of others isn't a factor.

you know who "dresses for themselves"? the people at walmart you occasionally see a picture of where a shirtless old woman has her tits tucked into the top of her sweat pants.
anyone who puts even a modicum of attention into their fashion is doing so to display to potential mates.

You are truly delusional.

So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine?
not a woman but i'll take a stab at this because i have a couple life experiences that make me suited to address the topic.

the consensus is that most men find it unpleasant and/or unattractive, and since most of everything both men and women do is to appear attractive to their preferred mate-type, if you're a woman you shave your armpits because men like it.

as a man myself when i was 16 and fell in love for the first time it was with a quirky girl who extolled at length about how 'icky' she found body hair to me, and being so enamored with her it bordered on worship i got into the habit of shaving my armpits and pubic area.
after we split i found that her attitude and my response to it had just kinda stuck, so now at 41 i still keep up with shaving those areas - partially out of habit, partially out of a personal preference that kind of developed over the years.

so TL;DR - the why is that other people expect you to or prefer you to and you end up incorporating that expectation into your personal sense of self.
also, shaving your armpits is an absolutely astounding reduction in B.O.

Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.
in my experience it's rarely if ever an issue on the day you shave, or for a few days after - the real bitch of it comes 3-5 days later when you start sprouting the tips of hair and your armpits turn into inverted sandpaper.
but on a day to day scale, the razor burn and general after-effects of shaving are usually much milder on pits/crotch than it is on the face, so it's a whole other thing.

Women who shave their armpits do so to minimize body odor and because society tells them that it is appropriate to do so.

I've never had an issue with ingrown hairs in my arm pit.

Doctors are seeing a variety of medical issues as the 'fashion' has become for women to remove their pubic hair.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/can-...more common,hair removal pose different risks.

no, i'm not.

if you think humans behave in some kind of isolated construct where they develop habits and expectations based purely on their own cognition and not due to environmental and cultural factors, "delusional" doesn't even come close to whatever you have going on.

no, i'm not.

if you think humans behave in some kind of isolated construct where they develop habits and expectations based purely on their own cognition and not due to environmental and cultural factors, "delusional" doesn't even come close to whatever you have going on.

If you think a woman’s taste revolves around what she believes a man finds attractive , and further, that women are unconscious of this or that SoHy has no idea why she dresses the way she does, you are delusional.

Reactions: WAB
WE DO NOT DRESS TO PLEASE MEN. When I was single and went to the discos back in the late 70s, I always wore very casual, very unsexy clothing. The night that a man followed me to my car and threatened to rape me, I was wearing a pin stripe dress that was mid calf length with a white vest and flat shoes. I wore it because at the time, I liked that simple, unsexy style. Luckily, I was able to take charge, hide my fear and shame the bastard into leaving me alone.

One of the reasons that I like wearing skinny jeans is because with age, my knees have become arthritic, and wearing tight skinny jeans is almost like wearing a compression sleeve on my knees, which aides in lowering my level of pain. My husband adores me and thinks I look sexy in anything I wear, and we've been together for 41 years. I think that's pretty common in a long term happy marriage. It's been said that older happy couples who have been together for decades often mentally see each other as how they looked when they first met.

I've worn plenty of very bland, baggy, boring things over the years. I used to wear a lot of long corduroy jumpers and dresses until I decided I hated dresses and totally stopped wearing them. Men really don't understand women, as is evident from some of the comments in this thread. I wore mini skirts when I was about 20 because I was living outside of New York City and they were in style in the late 60s. Young women frequently like to keep up with the latest styles, regardless if they are sexy or not. Anyone, old enough to remember tent dresses? They were in style around 1970 and I wore them all the time. A year or two later, maxi dresses ( ankle length dresses ) were in style and I had a few of those too. There was nothing sexy about either of those two styles, but young women, especially those from urban areas, usually like to keep up with fashion trends. Once you reach a certain age, you develop your own style and usually don't care what's in style any more.

I'm sure there are times when a woman might dress to please a man or to attract men, but that's not nearly as common as some men think. It's mostly fiction. In fact, I think young women often dress to please their girl friends. They don't do to attract them sexually. They do it to show their friends that they are part of the group. Men really don't get why we dress the way we do. It's arrogant and insulting to assume that you do.

WE DO NOT DRESS TO PLEASE MEN.
yes you do. that's literally the entire point of dressing in the first place.
i'm not you personally choose your clothing for the reason of displaying to men, but whether or not you personally as an individual in your mind consciously make the choice of doing so, the entire purpose of 'fashion' is solely as a means of display - it has replaced swollen vulvas or feathers or whatever else animals use for sexual display.
if you honestly think that a few thousand years of having a prefrontal cortex has completely negated millions upon millions of years of biological evolution i have no idea how to even begin to approach that.

as i said before, it's the same thing for men, i'm not singling out women on this. when humans choose a specific style of dress to 'show off', regardless of whatever purpose that individual might have in mind the anthropological reason is for sexual display - ie, to please the preferred gender you're looking to attract.

I'm sure there are times when a woman might dress to please a man or to attract men, but that's not nearly as common as some men think. It's mostly fiction.
to most everything you said between my previous quoted section and this: that's not dressing up, per your own admission.
choosing clothing for practical reasons or comfort is an entirely different issue, and everyone does that of course - my assertions are strictly about when men or women 'dress up', which i think is the true context of the original point that spurred this discussion in the first place.

In fact, I think young women often dress to please their girl friends. They don't do to attract them sexually. They do it to show their friends that they are part of the group. Men really don't get why we dress the way we do. It's arrogant and insulting to assume that you do.
"to please their girl friends" ... well, why does it please them to dress in a way that shows off your body to a man? you're really close to hitting the nail on the head here, it's rather encouraging.

If you think a woman’s taste revolves around what she believes a man finds attractive
i actually never said that nor remotely inferred it, but have fun beating that straw man, i'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

and further, that women are unconscious of this or that SoHy has no idea why she dresses the way she does, you are delusional.
oh on that i'm fine asserting they are unconscious of it, because most humans lack the self reflection or knowledge of biology or anthropology to tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

If you think a woman’s taste revolves around what she believes a man finds attractive
i actually never said that nor remotely inferred it, but have fun beating that straw man, i'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

and further, that women are unconscious of this or that SoHy has no idea why she dresses the way she does, you are delusional.
oh on that i'm fine asserting they are unconscious of it, because most humans lack the self reflection or knowledge of biological or anthropology to tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

Yes, I've noticed that about you.

Maybe I am naive but I was always under the impression that most (straight) men were much more interested in what I looked like without my clothes than any outfit I could possibly devise or wear. Is that not correct? Or are you merely speaking about the demographic that requires lots and lots and lots of artificial help and stimulation in order to feel...anything?

(This post will probably reveal more about my lack of with-it-ness than anything else, but here goes.)
So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine? Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.

Pit shaving varies by culture. I think that it's becoming a bit more optional in the US... but women are still scorned *by men and women alike) if their unshaven pits are visible to others.

In regards to chafing and irritation - yes, it sucks big hairy donkey balls. They itch like mad when they start growing in the next day... but if I shave every day I get really nasty ingrown pit hairs. Since I've been working from home all year, I've simply quit shaving altogether. It's so much nicer.

disclaimer: i'm going to be referring to human nature and psychology on a macro level....

In younger unmarried people I think it's likely to be sexual signaling... but I think in married people and in older people it's status signaling. A whole lot of fashion is less about being sexually attractive than it is about demonstrating one's social status.

And sometimes, it's just because something feels nice or is a pleasing color. I have a few outfits that other people compliment me on... which I wear because they *feel* nice on. They're comfortable and I like the colors.

Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
WE DO NOT DRESS TO PLEASE MEN.

yes you do. that's literally the entire point of dressing in the first place.
i'm not you personally choose your clothing for the reason of displaying to men, but whether or not you personally as an individual in your mind consciously make the choice of doing so, the entire purpose of 'fashion' is solely as a means of display - it has replaced swollen vulvas or feathers or whatever else animals use for sexual display.
if you honestly think that a few thousand years of having a prefrontal cortex has completely negated millions upon millions of years of biological evolution i have no idea how to even begin to approach that.

I’ve been pondering all afternoon what it is that makes this seem so monumentally silly.

I’m thinking about what appears to be your claim that women are UNABLE to choose clothing for any other reason than displaying for men. Or, more narrowly, that a woman’s choice to look fancy can ONLY be based on a desire to please men. That they cannot, cannot overcome the evolution that instilled a desire for attracting men.

And I’m trying to square this with other data.

Like women who choose to dress fancy when no men are around.
Women who don’t dress fancy when men are around, even when they are trolling for them.
Men who dress fancy, including cross-dressers who are not gay.

It also doesn’t square with all the other times humans disobey evolutionary pressures.

Like men who choose to be celibate.
Or people who choose to be childless.
Like people who overcome fight/flight because something else is part of a decision.
Like people who fall in love with non-alpha people, or with people with physical disabilities
Or people who diet
Or people who voluntarily and happily over-exercise.

There are SO MANY ways in which humans regularly violate evolutionary pressure for whimsical reasons.

And so this claim that a woman who wears fancy clothing is ONLY doing it to be sexy seems wholly unsupported to the point of ridiculous.

Pillows? Twenty-five years ago my wife and I built and furnished the home where we're living now. One wall is lined with a cabinet nearly two meters tall and three meters wide with windowed doors. My wife's intention was to fill the entire cabinet with pillows! I tried to stake out one shelf as a place, at least temporarily, for screwdrivers and such. My wife responded by removing all the pillows and throwing them onto the floor!

That may have been the low point of our marriage. We recovered and have remained happy for the past 25 years. Now I'm not sure I could live without her.

I’ve been pondering all afternoon what it is that makes this seem so monumentally silly.
based on your following, it's a grievous misunderstanding of what i'm saying.

I’m thinking about what appears to be your claim that women are UNABLE to choose clothing for any other reason than displaying for men.
i did not say either of those things, not even in the remotest possible sense. firstly the very foundation of what you're interpreting is wrong, and secondly it's not about women it's about both genders.

what i'm saying is that if you look at the history of 'fashion' (ie, clothing as personal expression and not purely utilitarian) it all fundamentally comes down to mate signaling.
this is purely a matter of biology, as every species of mammal on this planet has some form of sexual display as part of mating rituals, and since the physiology of humans has moved away from blatant outward signs (for example scent markers in dogs or swollen genitals in some types of monkeys) these displays have been replaced by socially constructed facsimiles.

even as emily lake noted that in older married couples it's more about "status" ... well, what exactly is "status" in terms of human society? drill down into the core of human psychology and why are people making displays of wealth or social privilege? it's to show how fuckable you are to potential mates, or to *show off* how fuckable you are to potential rivals.

Or, more narrowly, that a woman’s choice to look fancy can ONLY be based on a desire to please men. That they cannot, cannot overcome the evolution that instilled a desire for attracting men.
no, this is ridiculous - i've said this repeatedly already in other posts in this thread but i'll repeat it here: i'm not saying that it's a conscious decision on anyone's part, it's not like men and women wake up and think "ok today i will dress in a manner which displays sexual receptivity to potential mates."
what i'm saying is that the concept of non-utilitarian fashion is fundamentally the human equivalent of peacock feathers, and if you look at the history of clothing and clothing accessories in the last 600 years or so this becomes blindingly obvious.

the conclusion is that any human 'dressing up' is at its core an act of sexual display for the purpose of attracting a mate, from a strictly anthropological perspective - even if that isn't necessarily the specific cognitive decision being made by the individual.

and mind you, i'm not saying that 'dressing up' means 'i want to fuck somebody' or is correlated to actively searching for a sexual partner. i'm absolutely not some lunatic saying if a woman dresses a certain way she's 'asking for it' or that dressing a given way infers any kind of obligation to participate in sex.
i'm just stating an anthropological fact that 'dressing up' is the human equivalent of a peacock spreading its wings or a cricket chirping, and thus *all* 'dressing up' is by its nature for the sake of the gaze of one's preferred gender in terms of why 'dressing up' exists as a thing humans do in the first place.

obviously the existence of the prefrontal cortex complicates things in humans and obviously this is all broadly generalizing about homo sapiens on a macro level, but if you put even a cursory amount of time into looking into research on the subject this bears out in numerous studies on human behavior.

Like women who choose to dress fancy when no men are around.
well, let's break that down - why would one choose to do that?
to feel sexy? well what is 'sexy' if not for the sake of one's preferred gender?
to feel confident? to feel feminine? to feel powerful?

if you drill down into the motivations behind these behaviors they all loop back around to the same conclusion.
dressing up nice by yourself makes you feel good about yourself because you feel like you're fuckable.

Women who don’t dress fancy when men are around, even when they are trolling for them.
i would posit (based on what is admittedly purely anecdotal personal experience) that this is a case of people either not knowing how to do it, or specifically doing it in an alternative way.
for example, in my younger days i fell into the goth scene, and so my style of dress could be argued to be completely counter to finding a mate in the general population - however, my fashion sense was specifically signaling to a niche subset of the population, and thus adherence to mainstream social norms regarding what's good looking didn't apply to me.

Men who dress fancy, including cross-dressers who are not gay.
well i don't know that the latter necessarily follows from the former, but i'll confess i don't know enough about the psychology of cross dressers to have a handle on that so i'll concede the point on that one.

It also doesn’t square with all the other times humans disobey evolutionary pressures.
well that can be said for about a billion things, and while true it doesn't negate the fact that more human behavior adheres to evolutionary factors than not.

There are SO MANY ways in which humans regularly violate evolutionary pressure for whimsical reasons.
true, but i never suggested otherwise.
rather, i provided the facts surrounding the evolutionary pressure regarding the original question being asked.
humans being humans there's always going to be exceptions, and yes yes i'm sure that 90% of the exceptions to the rule are the people reading this thread because you're all such incredible snowflakes totally outside the bounds of the human condition.

And so this claim that a woman who wears fancy clothing is ONLY doing it to be sexy seems wholly unsupported to the point of ridiculous.
well i never said 'fancy' clothing, and the person who posted the original question which spawned this whole digression never said 'fancy' clothing, so that's a straw man.

the original question was:
"Why do men seem to think that women dress to please them?"

the answer is: because women do.

maybe not every single woman, and maybe not all of the time, but broadly taking the context of that question and applying it to the well established western cultural catechism on the subject leads inevitably to the same conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom