• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Racist imagery

No one's being cancelled. There's a reason a lot of people would be offended by the implication that black people and their allies are sensitive little bitches and why that is a heinous thing to say or imply. There's literally no other layer of humor in that image.

Elixir is one of the most progressive and open hearted liberals among us, and so it's is unfathomable that he would post such a cartoon expecting us to laugh at it. I know a few users here who spooge over such cartoons because it makes them feel righteous in their dismissal of people who are not bigots, but not Elixir. Still not sure why, and that's fine, but there's no decent humor in that cartoon given what triggered it to be created in the first place.

Y'all can gang up and snark at me all you want, but you know there's no reasonable defense in response to my comments here. :confused2:

Floof, do you think there is something wrong with being sensitive? Even hypersensitive?

No one's being cancelled. There's a reason a lot of people would be offended by the implication that black people and their allies are sensitive little bitches and why that is a heinous thing to say or imply. There's literally no other layer of humor in that image.

Elixir is one of the most progressive and open hearted liberals among us, and so it's is unfathomable that he would post such a cartoon expecting us to laugh at it. I know a few users here who spooge over such cartoons because it makes them feel righteous in their dismissal of people who are not bigots, but not Elixir. Still not sure why, and that's fine, but there's no decent humor in that cartoon given what triggered it to be created in the first place.

Y'all can gang up and snark at me all you want, but you know there's no reasonable defense in response to my comments here. :confused2:

Floof, do you think there is something wrong with being sensitive? Even hypersensitive?

No. I think there is something wrong with implying that black people and their allies are "sensitive little bitches." Do you think "sensitive little bitches" is meant as a compliment or is just some neutral phrasing?

No. I think there is something wrong with implying that black people and their allies are "sensitive little bitches." Do you think "sensitive little bitches" is meant as a compliment or is just some neutral phrasing?

Don't you think it's wrong to say that anyone is a "sensitive little bitch"?

Do you think it's okay to say that Right wing authoritarian followers and maybe incels are sensitive little bitches?

Do you think it's okay to say that Right wing authority followers and maybe incels are sensitive little bitches?

No, I am not playing this strawman game. You can read this thread to know what my point is. And right wing authoritarians and incels are not groups targeted by hate groups and discrimination. They ARE the fucking hate groups and discrimination against people of color in this country.

This is the Images that make you laugh thread. Can you guys take your ugly derail somewhere else?

Do you think it's okay to say that Right wing authority followers and maybe incels are sensitive little bitches?

No, I am not playing this strawman game. You can read this thread to know what my point is. And right wing authoritarians and incels are not groups targeted by hate groups and discrimination. They ARE the fucking hate groups and discrimination against people of color in this country.

F!oof, my point is simple. Name calling is childish and pointless no matter who it's aimed at. All it does is give the name-caller a feeling of gratification.

It's wrong and counterproductive, always, across the board.

F!oof, my point is simple. Name calling is childish and pointless no matter who it's aimed at. All it does is give the name-caller a feeling of gratification.

It's wrong and counterproductive, always, across the board.
I agree, especially when it's aimed at black people in an attempt to dismiss racism. I will call that out wherever I see it.

This is the Images that make you laugh thread. Can you guys take your ugly derail somewhere else?

Yes, reported with a request to move the posts.

Why doesn't one of you take the initiative and START a thread somewhere else, then invite all the combatants to join it. Just get it the fuck out a humor thread.

No, I am not playing this strawman game.
I think an important part of this analysis though is the big picture.

I'm sure there are people, both of Irish descent and not, who are critical of the Lucky Charms mascot. As there were people, black and not-so-much critical of, say, Aunt Jemima.
Thjng is, there is no major groundswell of demand thst people stop using a Leprechaun. Just like there was no major public outcry against Jemima. The outcrying was, "Please stop killing us!" and "Please stop letting cops kill us with impunity!"

A corporation answered this cry for help by saying, "Yeah, we'll overhaul our breakfast merchandise."
And the Right lost their minds over the change in merchandise.

No, I am not playing this strawman game.
I think an important part of this analysis though is the big picture.

I'm sure there are people, both of Irish descent and not, who are critical of the Lucky Charms mascot. As there were people, black and not-so-much critical of, say, Aunt Jemima.
Thjng is, there is no major groundswell of demand thst people stop using a Leprechaun. Just like there was no major public outcry against Jemima. The outcrying was, "Please stop killing us!" and "Please stop letting cops kill us with impunity!"

A corporation answered this cry for help by saying, "Yeah, we'll overhaul our breakfast merchandise."
And the Right lost their minds over the change in merchandise.

Granted, but the reasons the books were pulled came from the people running the estate being sensitive to the feelings and experiences of black people and to the effect of racist imagery on both black people and on our society as a whole. No, it's not stopping the cops from killing black people, but it is adding to the voices demanding that society purge itself of the systemic racism that gives rise to murderous racist cops to begin with. It's not okay to knowingly leave racist imagery in books just because removing them "won't stop the cops."

The Lucky Charms image isn't making fun of petty right wingers. It's spreading their message that "the sensitive little bitches on the left" are forcing companies to decide to remove racist imagery - ahem, I mean harmless children's cartoons - from their products and media because we've gone mad in our sensitivity to the experiences of black people.

I, like Jimmy earlier, am confused as to why Elixir of all people would post such a thing. I think he just fucked up and misread a meme and won't just say he fucked up and remove the image. There is no other layer of ironic humor that is just going over my head. That's just backpedaling to save face.

The Lucky Charms image isn't making fun of petty right wingers.

Precisely. Posting right wingers use of leprechauns to minimize their own racism HERE, is making fun of petty right wingers.
Or should be IMHO.
Nowhere is safe any more!

Precisely. Posting right wingers use of leprechauns to minimize their own racism HERE, is making fun of petty right wingers.
Or should be IMHO.

Poor Elixir...gettin' eaten by his own. That'll teach ya! :)

I think the implication that it is black people who are the "sensitive little bitches" in all of this is not entirely accurate. It's generally white people who are the "sensitive little bitches" about this stuff, is it not?

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

Or should be IMHO.

Poor Elixir...gettin' eaten by his own. That'll teach ya! :)

I think the implication that it is black people who are the "sensitive little bitches" in all of this is not entirely accurate. It's generally white people who are the "sensitive little bitches" about this stuff, is it not?

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

It's usually tEh LeFt they whine about, which would include "attacks" on right wingers' precious, God-given racism.

And no one's eating Elixir. I love him the best of all the online weirdos I've ever known and that hasn't changed. He just fucked up and I said something and he just doesn't want to say he fucked up. :)

Anyway, you should be willing to call out your friends as much as you do anyone else. tEh LeFt is just not as tribalistically stupid as the right and the reasons for that are based not in ideological identity but in how we all perceive the world and process experiences. If your ideology is based in fear, you'll naturally be more tribalistic, tending to circle the wagons and distrust everyone "out there" because Satan or whatever and you'll excuse and overlook your comrades when they are wrong and you know it. I actually had knots in my stomach the other day thinking Elixir might hate me now, but I felt strongly about posting shit that people like the Proud Boys and Nazi end times zealots would post thinking they are clever.

Back
Top Bottom