• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Re: Kim Potter - What happens when good people no longer go into law enforcement?

Well, where I live 2, nearby Jr. High school boys were kidnapped, raped, and one killed before the perp was caught. And the gang/drug violence is rampant; and woman look under their cars to look for bad guys and rapists....Oh wait, that was soooooo 1970's when I was a kid myself (with per capita murder rates far far higher than today)...never mind.
I was on a local FB group and people were complaining about rampant crime. I found an article from the local paper that showed crime being down 85% since the seventies.
Is this personal experience, or is it just some more bullshit? Second hand hearsay, or can you deliver evidence from a source accepted by me?
Tom
Are you schmecking me? ;)
Man, I wish I could get shmecked that reliably!

Hearsay; unreliable personal experience: (unstated: crime is getting worse and I know this because) crime happened!

Valid personal experience: I have watchrd people complain about worsening crime, but measured statistics I have seen indicate crime is not getting worse.

Also valid personal experience: I have had many experiences with discrimination and bullying therefore bullying is a problem (for me).

Observe, the unreliable personal experience takes an observation and jumps to a non sequitur: that their perceptions create a reality of worsening crime.

The valid experiences do not suffer from this non sequitur; the former uses actual measures crime statistics to test the perceptions of personal experience; the latter merely makes observation that an experience has happened and all on its own indicates a problem for the speaker, from their perspective.

The key here is the isolation to perspective in the latter and the use of statistical validation in the former.

Making claims of reality, rather than merely of experience of that reality, is where it breaks down for Steve.

You're still clinging to your erroneous idea that the post in question contains 'personal experiences'.
He's describing the situation where he lives. It's not like he's describing the situation in Minneapolis or somewhere.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of his observations, I've never even been to Seattle. But there's nothing implausible about them either.

I can't help but think that the main reason his observations are being dismissed is due to the fact that they don't match the "The police are the problem" narrative.
Tom
He is describing other people's descriptions of the situation near where he lives.

Are you schmecking me? ;)

I don't think you can afford me.
Tom
I think more accurately, he wouldn't afford you.
Of course not.
Luv U 2!
Tom
Well, mostly it's because I'm pretty sure ZiprHead likes his Shmecking to involve breasts and feminine behavior. I cannot say for certain what gender based kinks or fetishes hold sway in their universe, however, so YMMV.

Me on the other hand, well, I think that's where we'd be getting into "couldn't afford it" range. Which is to say, you couldn't afford me. Hell, Amazon can't afford me and it isn't for a lack of trying. I swear, I'm getting 2-3 mails a week from their recruiters nowadays, no matter how many times I say "no, I won't work for a company that leverages monopoly powers to perform price fixing."

What happens when good people no longer go into law enforcement?

Most people who want to be front line cops are grown up Rittenhouses looking to shoot someone who desperately needs shooting (per cop culture) and be celebrated for it by their peers.
Who else wants a high stress, low pay, dangerous job that holds the sole benefit of having license to kill (albeit slightly limited)?

Well, mostly it's because I'm pretty sure ZiprHead likes his Shmecking to involve

I'd ask @ZiprHead how you came to be an internet expert on his Shmecking preferences.

But I won't.
I prefer not to know some things.

Tom
Mind reading, of course. Which is to say the words produced by whichever mind happened to be behind the identity "ZiprHead" over these long years.

Regarding the premise of the OP: law enforcement started actively filtering out good people...probably since the invention of law enforcement.

But for sure in recent times in the US, as has been shown many times with police entrance criteria and ar least a few other studies I've seen.

Only bad people would want to avoid law enforcement because a few out of 700kish officers are being held accountable for mistakes. It's just another way to filter them out by discouraging them from entering in the first place.

Regarding the premise of the OP: law enforcement started actively filtering out good people...probably since the invention of law enforcement.

But for sure in recent times in the US, as has been shown many times with police entrance criteria and ar least a few other studies I've seen.
Law enforcement actively have been filtering out good people with regards to recruitment? That's fucking stupid. You sure that's what you meant?

Law enforcement actively have been filtering out good people with regards to recruitment? That's fucking stupid. You sure that's what you meant?
That is exactly what is meant. It's also not wrong: I did not become a police officer, and entreated my kin not to become one, specifically because there is no way to be a good cop. Good cops get pushed out.

That is exactly what is meant. It's also not wrong: I did not become a police officer, and entreated my kin not to become one, specifically because there is no way to be a good cop. Good cops get pushed out.
Do you see the self fulfilling prophecy here? You did your best to push out good cops, before they even applied. So, the police department hired folks from the ones who did apply.

I see that sort of cycle as the big problem.

Reminds of something my dad said, almost 50 years ago. "Of course cops are dumb. Why else would they take such a lousy job? For what they make? Probably, they just can't get a better job."
Tom

Do you see the self fulfilling prophecy here? You did your best to push out good cops, before they even applied. So, the police department hired folks from the ones who did apply.

I see that sort of cycle as the big problem.

Reminds of something my dad said, almost 50 years ago. "Of course cops are dumb. Why else would they take such a lousy job? For what they make? Probably, they just can't get a better job."
Tom
For that to matter there would need to be a critical mass to overcome the bad cop paradigm. There is not.

This is a case more of niche dominance than anything else. I'll change my tune when the police get completely defunded and replaced by something not the police but filling the same niche. Maybe "police 2.0". Until then, I'm staying away from the platform.

Well, where I live 2, nearby Jr. High school boys were kidnapped, raped, and one killed before the perp was caught. And the gang/drug violence is rampant; and woman look under their cars to look for bad guys and rapists....Oh wait, that was soooooo 1970's when I was a kid myself (with per capita murder rates far far higher than today)...never mind.
I was on a local FB group and people were complaining about rampant crime. I found an article from the local paper that showed crime being down 85% since the seventies.
Is this personal experience, or is it just some more bullshit? Second hand hearsay, or can you deliver evidence from a source accepted by me?
Tom

Sourced from: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/upshot/murder-rise-2020.html

Not that the trend is good...
capita.png

Tom

Sourced from: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/upshot/murder-rise-2020.html

Not that the trend is good...
View attachment 36525
Neat. There's the effect of the liberal soft-on-crime era of the 60's and 70's. Which led to the tough-on-crime period of the early 90's. (See Joe Biden) After 2010 there's the Ferguson bump followed by the Floyd surge post May 2020.

Back
Top Bottom