• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RNC in Cleveland - Are you ready to rock!

It should be Hispanics por Trump. Hispanics para Trump means more that Hispanics work for Trump than anything else. Really, it means nothing, though.

Google Translate gives para, however. I guess the Trump supporters went with the quickest and easiest solution regardless of how incorrect it is. That seems in character.

It should be Hispanics por Trump. Hispanics para Trump means more that Hispanics work for Trump than anything else. Really, it means nothing, though.

Google Translate gives para, however. I guess the Trump supporters went with the quickest and easiest solution regardless of how incorrect it is. That seems in character.

I think para is correct here. Hispanics por Trump would imply that the Hispanics are there representing Trump because he was unable to attend, as por is always dealing with temporal factors, whereas para deals more with goals and intentions or alignments. The confusing bit is that por and para can both be used for locations, but para still deals with the end goal whereas por would describe the route. That is: Salgo para la casa de mi madre por Montreal would mean that I'm leaving for my mother's house by way of Montreal.

FWIW I dated a Guatemalan girl for a couple of years

I think para is correct here.
I would guess that it really doesn't matter.

Trump isn't going out of his way to woo Hispanic voters. I think the signs are meant for white voters. They can see the signs and tell themselves, "Hey, look, we're inclusive."

I'm sure that if they would have thought of it, Southerners would have had black people at the 1860 convention holding up signs saying "Negroes for Slavery!"

It doesn't mean 'Hispanics for Trump"?

(Still learning espanol)

In a way it does, but the correct word usage in this context would be "por", not "para". "Hispanics por Trump" would translate in this context to "Hispanics in favor of Trump", whereas "Hispanics para Trump" would be translated more like "Hispanics unexpectedly for Trump", and that would be a generous translation. But, that's what you get when you have to use Google Translate instead of relying on actual Spanish speakers.

I never did understand the difference between when to use por, vs. when to use para. Had to take a foreign language in high school and the options were Spanish or French.

I never did understand the difference between when to use por, vs. when to use para. Had to take a foreign language in high school and the options were Spanish or French.

Por has a wider variety of usage, so if in doubt, it's probably better to use por.

I'm sure that if they would have thought of it, Southerners would have had black people at the 1860 convention holding up signs saying "Negroes for Slavery!"

Well, Gone With The Wind put those guys in, so I don't see why a convention would have been different.

It's Hispanos por Estupido. You all fail the class.

The white convention goers would have lynched them for knowing how to read.

I think para is correct here.
I would guess that it really doesn't matter.

Trump isn't going out of his way to woo Hispanic voters. I think the signs are meant for white voters. They can see the signs and tell themselves, "Hey, look, we're inclusive."

No doubt.

B4jGGBY.jpg

It doesn't mean 'Hispanics for Trump"?

(Still learning espanol)

In a way it does, but the correct word usage in this context would be "por", not "para". "Hispanics por Trump" would translate in this context to "Hispanics in favor of Trump", whereas "Hispanics para Trump" would be translated more like "Hispanics unexpectedly for Trump", and that would be a generous translation. But, that's what you get when you have to use Google Translate instead of relying on actual Spanish speakers.

^^^

In addition, the word "Hispanic" is an english word... so basically his sign was spanlish, not spanish

Back
Top Bottom