• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

And what about the profound harm suffered by those with unwanted pregnancies? It seems to me this is a double-edged sword.
There is no harm from unwanted pregnancies because babies bring nothing but joy to those who view them.
How long has it been since you lost touch with the real world?
I think an inspection of your sarcasm detector is in order.
Noted, and acknowledged

Controversial podcast host Joe Rogan came out swinging in a heated conversation about abortion rights with guest Seth Dillon, CEO of right-wing satire site Babylon Bee.

On Tuesday’s episode of “The Joe Rogan Experience,” exclusively distributed on Spotify, Rogan hosted Dillon in a wide-ranging discussion about American political culture. (The episode is available at this link.)

Among other topics, the duo discussed the Supreme Court’s decision in June to overturn Roe v. Wade, which ended the constitutional right to an abortion in the U.S. after nearly 50 years. Rogan argued, “There’s also women who have been raped, who should not have to fucking carry some rapist’s baby. There’s women who have been sexually assaulted before the age of 14.”

Dillon (via Mediaite) responded that “there are people who have been born of rape and are alive right now and are pro-life and they go around speaking, talking about how ‘I had a right to live’ and they will go out there and make an argument, a pro-life case.”

Rogan pushed back: “You don’t have a right to tell a 14-year-old girl, she has to carry a rapist’s baby.” He follow up by saying, “Like, you don’t have the right to tell my 14-year-old daughter, she has to carry her rapist’s baby. You understand that?”

Lauren Handy, the anti-abortion activist who kept five fetuses in her Washington DC home, was on Tuesday found guilty of breaking federal law by blockading an abortion clinic.

The charges stem from an incident in October 2020, when Handy and nine other anti-abortion protesters invaded a Washington abortion clinic, according to an October 2022 indictment of the group. Handy used a fake name to book an appointment at the clinic, then blocked people from entering the waiting room while other defendants chained themselves together inside the clinic, prosecutors alleged. One of the clinic’s nurses sprained her ankle after she was pushed by a protester, according to the indictment.

Those actions, prosecutors argued, violated the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act (Face), a 1990s-era federal law that makes it a crime to threaten or block someone seeking access to an abortion clinic, among other offenses. During the trial, one of the clinic’s patients testified that she had to climb through a window at the clinic to get past the protesters.

Case Number​

2:23-cv-00450
After Alabama’s attorney general threatened to criminalize people helping pregnant Alabamians access legal abortion care in other states, The Lawyering Project, joined by the Southern Poverty Law Center, filed a federal lawsuit seeking to block the attorney general from making good on his threat.
The attorney general threatened organizations such as the plaintiff, the Yellowhammer Fund, an organization that provides funding and support to pregnant Alabamians forced to leave the state for legal abortion care. While abortion is banned in Alabama, the state has no power to criminalize people engaging in lawful activity in other states. However, the fear of prosecution forced the Yellowhammer Fund to cease operation of its abortion fund.

It just gets worse.

article said:
More than a year after Roe v. Wade was overturned, many conservatives have grown frustrated by the number of people able to circumvent antiabortion laws — with some advocates grasping for even stricter measures they hope will fully eradicate abortion nationwide.

That frustration is driving a new strategy in heavily conservative cities and counties across Texas. Designed by the architects of the state’s “heartbeat” ban that took effect months before Roe fell, ordinances like the one proposed in Llano — where some 80 percent of voters in the county backed President Donald Trump in 2020 — make it illegal to transport anyone to get an abortion on roads within the city or county limits. The laws allow any private citizen to sue a person or organization they suspect of violating the ordinance.

And the far-right suggests, maybe they don't care about a woman's life at all... at least, not when it isn't having babies.
article said:
Mazur, 29, had posted a 92-second video to her 7,000 TikTok followers, laying out a day in her life as a single, childless woman, planning to take a crack at making the egg dish shakshuka and watch some TV. The next day, the hate started to pour in.

“All of a sudden on Sunday, I started receiving hateful comments, and then I caught wind that he had posted my TikTok,” Mazur said.

He, in this case, is Matt Walsh, a conservative media provocateur who posted Mazur’s video on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, to his more than 2.4 million followers, stating that she is “too stupid to realize how depressing this is.” Other conservative pundits piled on. Some on the left came to her defense. Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks, argued with former Trump adviser Stephen Miller about it...

Walsh and many other right-leaning voices are part of a larger conservative movement that promotes what they consider to be traditional family values. That has included targeting medical gender transition procedures and openly criticizing women who have not married and had children. One version of this ideology has become known as “trad wife” content, where women envision ‘50s-style housewife ideals including subservience to their husbands, which has made the practice controversial.
Might just be more honest of them if people like Walsh refer to women as "breeders".

"He, in this case, is Matt Walsh, a conservative media provocateur who posted Mazur’s video on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, to his more than 2.4 million followers, stating that she is “too stupid to realize how depressing this is.” Other conservative pundits piled on."

I don't understand why Mazur is important enough to feature on Walsh's show.
Is she trans or something?
I don't get it. And I don't care enough about Walsh to follow links to Xitter.
Tom

Mazur was an example of the unethical women who think that living life, having a career, and no children is ideal for them. It wasn't personal. It isn't like people like Walsh care about women. It just provides the social media fuel he needs to help propel the conservative ideal that women should be fucked and preggered and otherwise is unnatural and evil.

There is also the aspect that polls show unmarried women were more likely to vote D, so several right wing media shows started pushing that women need to get married. Presumably they think women start voting R once they get married.

And the far-right suggests, maybe they don't care about a woman's life at all... at least, not when it isn't having babies.
article said:
Mazur, 29, had posted a 92-second video to her 7,000 TikTok followers, laying out a day in her life as a single, childless woman, planning to take a crack at making the egg dish shakshuka and watch some TV. The next day, the hate started to pour in.

“All of a sudden on Sunday, I started receiving hateful comments, and then I caught wind that he had posted my TikTok,” Mazur said.

He, in this case, is Matt Walsh, a conservative media provocateur who posted Mazur’s video on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, to his more than 2.4 million followers, stating that she is “too stupid to realize how depressing this is.” Other conservative pundits piled on. Some on the left came to her defense. Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks, argued with former Trump adviser Stephen Miller about it...

Walsh and many other right-leaning voices are part of a larger conservative movement that promotes what they consider to be traditional family values. That has included targeting medical gender transition procedures and openly criticizing women who have not married and had children. One version of this ideology has become known as “trad wife” content, where women envision ‘50s-style housewife ideals including subservience to their husbands, which has made the practice controversial.
Might just be more honest of them if people like Walsh refer to women as "breeders".
I’d say dickless wonders, as it would shock me if any woman would consent to engage in any sex act with Walsh, much less bear his spawn*

*Written by someone who has no idea about Walsh’s personal life, if he is or ever has been married, etc.

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — The graves at the edge of the orphanage tell a story of despair. The rough planks in the cracked earth are painted with the names of children, most of them dead in the 1990s. That was before the HIV drugs arrived.

Today, the orphanage in Kenya’s capital is a happier, more hopeful place for children with HIV. But a political fight taking place in the United States is threatening the program that helps to keep them and millions of others around the world alive.

The reason for the threat? Abortion.

The AIDS epidemic has killed more than 40 million people since the first recorded cases in 1981, tripling child mortality and carving decades off life expectancy in the hardest-hit areas of Africa, where the cost of treatment put it out of reach. Horrified, then-President George W. Bush and the U.S. Congress two decades ago created what is described as the largest commitment by any nation to combat a single disease.
The program, known as the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR, partners with nonprofit groups to provide HIV/AIDS medication to millions around the world. It strengthens local and national health care systems, cares for children orphaned by AIDS and provides job training for people at risk.

Now, a few Republican lawmakers are endangering the stability of the program, which officials say has saved 25 million lives in 55 countries from Ukraine to Brazil to Indonesia. That includes the lives of 5.5 million infants born HIV-free.

At the Catholic-run Nairobi orphanage, program manager Paul Mulongo has a message for Washington.

“Let them know that the lives of these children we are taking care of are purely in their hands,” Mulongo says.

Back
Top Bottom