• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

How often something is selected is not the same as discussing whether or not is should be allowed to be selected. There are seven states in the US right now where abortion is legal at any point in the pregnancy, with no limitations at all.
That doesn't mean it's actually happening. Do you think there are obstetricians out there who would actually abort and kill a nine month unborn baby just because mom says so? I've only heard of one such person and he went to jail for a very long time.

You've fallen for the propaganda.
If 19% of the general population is OK with it, then wouldn't one assume that, roughly, 19% of obstetricians in those seven states are OK with it? Granted, likely some of them are OK with it being legal, but would not do it themselves. Regardless, if only 1% of OB/GYNs in those seven states actually would approve and are doing it, that still adds up. So, I would say the answer to your question is most certainly "yes".
That is a big "IF". pulled right out the ether.

That doesn't mean it's actually happening. Do you think there are obstetricians out there who would actually abort and kill a nine month unborn baby just because mom says so? I've only heard of one such person and he went to jail for a very long time.

Excellent point-out.

thebeave said:
Regardless, if only 1% of OB/GYNs in those seven states actually would approve and are doing it, that still adds up. So, I would say the answer to your question is most certainly "yes".

Adds up to what? :rolleyes:
Adds up to a significantly more than zero number of OBs who will do these late term abortions. Ziprhead seems to think there are zero.

Adds up to a significantly more than zero number of OBs who will do these late term abortions. Ziprhead seems to think there are zero.
Women with complications in states where there is no abortion are going to die, Tubal pregnancies for example are going to kill women. It will add up, don't you think?

Women with complications in states where there is no abortion are going to die, Tubal pregnancies for example are going to kill women. It will add up, don't you think?
Yep.

Late term abortions are only an issue if you assume the reasons for them are trivial, selfish, or inhumane.

I have a family member who had a late term abortion. A prenatal exam revealed her fetus had developmental defects that were 'incompatible with life'. She continued her pregnancy for a few more weeks despite the risk to herself so that her fetus' lungs would develop. She wanted to make sure there was a least a chance he could survive, but had to undergo a ceasarean delivery when her own health started failing. Post mortem confirmed blood clots in the umbilical cord, missing organs, organs outside of the body, and more.

Is there anyone here who objects to the health care my relative received?

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Republican gubernatorial nominee Mark Robinson has been battered for months by his Democratic rival and other adversaries for seeking additional abortion restrictions beyond current state law and for past comments upbraiding women on the issue.

“Abortion in this country is not about protecting the lives of mothers. It’s about killing the child because you weren’t responsible enough to keep your skirt down,” Robinson said in a Facebook video in 2019, the year before he was elected lieutenant governor in his first bid for public office. Democratic nominee Josh Stein, the current attorney general and an abortion-rights supporter, has shown the footage in ads since June.

Now Robinson is attempting to shift the broader electorate’s views of him on the issue through empathy with a new commercial starting Friday that describes his wife’s own abortion decades ago and leaves the impression he’s comfortable with the state’s current 12-week ban on most abortions.
:picardfacepalm:

Late term abortions are only an issue if you assume the reasons for them are trivial, selfish, or inhumane.

I have a family member who had a late term abortion. A prenatal exam revealed her fetus had developmental defects that were 'incompatible with life'. She continued her pregnancy for a few more weeks despite the risk to herself so that her fetus' lungs would develop. She wanted to make sure there was a least a chance he could survive, but had to undergo a ceasarean delivery when her own health started failing. Post mortem confirmed blood clots in the umbilical cord, missing organs, organs outside of the body, and more.

Is there anyone here who objects to the health care my relative received?
Not me. But we were talking about the seven states where there are no limitations on abortions.

Excellent point-out.

thebeave said:
Regardless, if only 1% of OB/GYNs in those seven states actually would approve and are doing it, that still adds up. So, I would say the answer to your question is most certainly "yes".

Prove it with verified numbers.

That's my point. Must have flown to fast, too high and too quiet. I'd also like to see numbers of women dying because of complications in states where abortion tolerance is zero. If you're gonna argue something you must have some facts to back it up.

But we were talking about the seven states where there are no limitations on abortions.
No you weren't.

You were talking about the seven states where there are no legal limitations on abortions.

The law has no business in this sphere at all; If a preganant woman and her medical team agree that an abortion is appropriate and justified, why would anyone want the law to contradict both that professional medical advice, and the opinion of the person most directly affected by the decision?

All the reasons why they might want the law to do that are antithetical to personal freedom, and/or are an unwarranted interference by people who have no business attempting to influence the decision in any way.

From Pew Research. 63% of Americans think abortion should be legal in all or most cases. This may very well be a very big problem for the GOP in November.

Excellent point-out.

thebeave said:

It adds up to zilch because your arithmetic is based on guesses not actual data.

I didn't think that there was any chance of Roe v Wade being overturned. I'm very unhappy that it was. But I also don't support completely unfettered abortions, because at some point a fetus is a baby. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. And it's a view held by the vast majority of americans, who tend to think that somewhere between three and five months into a pregnancy, abortion should no longer be an option unless the life of the mother is at risk. But having abortion laws turned over to the states still allows for those laws to be challenged - and continuously challenged. So there is some recourse to oppose them and to change the approach in highly restrictive states.
And you're falling for the conservative lies.
Um... no. I don't know what the hell lie you're talking about, but 19% of people in the US think that abortion should be 100% legal with no exceptions at all.
Which is not remotely a rebuttal to what I said.
The reality is that the point at which the fetus becomes a baby is almost certainly well past viability. And nobody performs abortions for maternal reasons at that point--if delivery is a viable path that's what will be done. Thus all late abortions are fetal defect. There's no baby there.
How often something is selected is not the same as discussing whether or not is should be allowed to be selected. There are seven states in the US right now where abortion is legal at any point in the pregnancy, with no limitations at all.

And what actually happens is fetal defect abortions.

Excellent point-out.

thebeave said:

So, I'm supposed to go through the trouble of finding the true number of doctors in the US who will do these elective late term abortions so as to disprove your unverifed, unsubstantiated claim that there are zero doctors who will perform these late term abortions? Isn't the process supposed to start with you by demonstrating it is zero? I think yours is the more extraordinary claim, not mine.

Look at it this way. Per the Wikipedia article, there are seven states for which abortion is legal at any stage. For example, lets look at what it says for Oregon:

Abortion is legal in Oregon at all stages of pregnancy.

In 2017, there were 20 facilities providing abortions in Oregon. As of January 2021, there are no major restrictions on abortion in the state, including no requirements for waiting period or parental consent for minors seeking abortions.

And yet you know somehow that not a single doctor in those 20 facilities would do it? And why would Oregon establish an abortion law with no major restrictions at all stages of pregnancy, given that there are no doctors who would do it? Doesn't really make much sense. Why not just go with the more conventional, sensible rule where its legal through the second trimester, with restrictions in the third trimester for the woman's (or man's) health instead?

Also, the fact that you had only heard one case of this happening doesn't really mean much. Abortions tend to be a private affair, just between doctor and patient. Not to mention very restrictive medical privacy laws. And for the very late term abortions, it would be even more so, no?

Excellent point-out.

thebeave said:

So, I'm supposed to go through the trouble of finding the true number of doctors in the US who will do these elective late term abortions so as to disprove your unverifed, unsubstantiated claim that there are zero doctors who will perform these late term abortions? Isn't the process supposed to start with you by demonstrating it is zero? I think yours is the more extraordinary claim, not mine.
Ziprhead stated his belief; you stated yours. While beliefs are more convincing with supporting factual evidence, belief does not require factual support - that is why it is called belief not knowledge.

Ignoring the numerical assumptions, it relies crucially on the behavioural assumption that because a physician may legally perform an abortion at any time, a physician will do so for any reason.

Yes, you are to do that because you are claiming harm. So stop bullshitting and do it.

I find it to be near the height of dishonesty to claim that the people who think abortion should not happen "in certain situations" justifies the implementation of laws.

The best advice, the thing that licensed medical professionals in obstetrics should learn right alongside the Hippocratic Oath should be "if immediate induction of pregnancy would lead to a live if premature baby, it should stay in until it's done, so long as when it IS done there is someone who has consented to the responsibility to raise the child."

This arises because of a system of factors:
1. People have a right to evict parasitic squatters even if this results in their death.

2. People have a right to a healthy and happy childhood to the best of the ability of those responsible for them.

3. People have a right to deliver charity on any life society does not deem non-grata.

Aborting something which will survive on its own under the provision of available and consenting charity will violate (3).

Inducing an early delivery so as to deliver the child to charity early will violate (2).

Therefore (1) sees it's limit when there IS available charity, and the result of induction would not be death.

This is not something we can legislate, however, because of the chilling effect on the ability to abort questionably viable pregnancies which may threaten the life of the mother. The ambiguity in the presence of a clear priority for the living adult over the fetus means the doctor's judgement must not be fettered by the law in this case.

This means that the law should offer, at best, nonbinding guidance to doctors.

Should an abortion be allowed (by the doctors) in all cases? No. Should the law be capable of enforcing that? Fuck no.

I am one of the most vigorous supporters of the philosophical right to abort a child that I have ever met. I argue this right on strong principles, with a foundation that nobody ought be forced to submit to a parasitic process, and that pregnancy is a parasitic process, and yet I would be represented by the false statistics often touted that "most people believe abortion should be restricted".

This would mean that such statistics, owing to their lack of specificity, are spoken in bad faith.

I would expect the people who bring up such statistics (a few of which whom are present here) stop doing so, as they misrepresent a very strong pro-choice cohort as anti-choice, and are thus lies (or at at least lies now that the dishonesty behind them has been revealed).

Back
Top Bottom