• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Well, no: abortions could be performed during the third trimester with restrictions if states chose to put restrictions in place.
Those laws were never intrusive, and were never intended to be. They were closer to superfluous. The rarity of medically optional third term abortions made it so.
The whole playing filed is fucked up now; Justices Thomas' and Alito's noses are under the tent, and good religious people are about to let the whole corrupt herd of camels into your doctor's office, your house, your kids' schools - the whole ball of wax.
Yeah, those laws were intrusive as intended . The intention was to throw up so many barriers that women would not be able to obtain an abortion. Some of the tactics included making them listen or watch videos that talked about killing babies, that abortion causes breast cancer, etc.

Yeah, those laws were intrusive as intended
I guess we best not speculate on the intent of individual advocates of “those laws” as I strongly suspect that they vary widely.
I just oppose regulating stuff where regulation causes worse effect than government MINDING ITS OWN BUSINESS.
Any how, there was no messing around with ectopic pregnancies back in those days, and it wasn’t an over-inflated political football. At least in CO.

Last edited:
I guess we best not speculate on the intent of individual advocates of “those laws” as I strongly suspect that they vary widely.
I just oppose regulating stuff where regulation causes worse effect than government MINDING ITS OWN BUSINESS.
Any how, there was no messing around with ectopic pregnancies back in those days, and it wasn’t an over-inflated political football. At least in CO.
By far the best treatment for an ectopic discovered early enough is a chemical abortion. But that would mean the drug had to be available. (And it is on obstetric crash carts for post-partum bleeding. One state is trying to make it a controlled substance--which will remove it from the crash carts. They don't put unnecessary stuff on crash carts, the whole idea is to get it right now so they aren't going to want to wade through any more than they have to in looking for it.

By far the best treatment for an ectopic discovered early enough is a chemical abortion. But that would mean the drug had to be available. (And it is on obstetric crash carts for post-partum bleeding. One state is trying to make it a controlled substance--which will remove it from the crash carts. They don't put unnecessary stuff on crash carts, the whole idea is to get it right now so they aren't going to want to wade through any more than they have to in looking for it.
Some ectopic pregnancies can be resolved by using methotrexate but that is not without some side effects.

Added here for clarity. Most often when talking about terminating an early pregnancy, one is talking about using mifepristone and misoprostol which should not be used in the case of a discovered ectopic pregnancy.

Some ectopic pregnancies can be resolved by using methotrexate but that is not without some side effects.

Added here for clarity. Most often when talking about terminating an early pregnancy, one is talking about using mifepristone and misoprostol which should not be used in the case of a discovered ectopic pregnancy.
I didn't remember the drug names. Just that it's by far the best way to resolve an ectopic caught early enough.

And from Louisiana:

(Talking about making misoprostol a controlled substance)

article said:
But because it is used for abortion, misoprostol has been targeted by conservatives in Louisiana — an unprecedented move for a medication that routinely saves lives. A controlled dangerous substance has extra barriers for access, which can delay care.

I didn't remember the drug names. Just that it's by far the best way to resolve an ectopic caught early enough.

And from Louisiana:

(Talking about making misoprostol a controlled substance)

article said:
But because it is used for abortion, misoprostol has been targeted by conservatives in Louisiana — an unprecedented move for a medication that routinely saves lives. A controlled dangerous substance has extra barriers for access, which can delay care.
Ectopic pregnancies are not generally evident at a point in time early enough to use medication to terminate.

I understand from a politycal
POV why there is such a push to make abortion meds and birth control pills OTC but I have some very serious concerns about the potential side effects or more likely, the side effects from not taking he meds as directed and/or not taking them correctly with a pregnancy occurring in the case of incorrectly used bc pills or an abortion not completing and either resulting in a continued pregnancy with a damaged fetus or sepsis.

Back
Top Bottom