• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Danke Hillary!
WTF is that supposed to mean? If the Hillary haters had rubbed two sticks together to get a spark of insight and voted for Hillary over Phony Soprano none of this shit would be happening.

Or do you like what is happening?
It just means that any time Derec can invent a way to dig at a woman who is strong, intelligent, well educated and accomplished, he’ll give it a try.

And fail, of course.
Yeah, but this is Hillary instead.

The court that decided RvW consisted of eight white men and one black man.

The court that reversed RvW consisted of five white men, one black man, two white women, and one hispanic woman.

Identity politics is an interesting thing.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told his law clerks he intended to serve on the highest court of the land to make the lives of liberals "miserable," according to a 1993 report from The New York Times.

Thomas, who was confirmed to the Supreme Court in 1991 amid contentious confirmation hearings, resented the media coverage surrounding his appointment. Central to the hearings were accusations and testimony about alleged sexual harassment of one of his subordinates, Anita Hill, who accused the justice of repeated, unwanted sexual advances and inappropriate conduct in the workplace.

He was ultimately confirmed in a 52-48 vote.

Danke Hillary!
WTF is that supposed to mean? If the Hillary haters had rubbed two sticks together to get a spark of insight and voted for Hillary over Phony Soprano none of this shit would be happening.

It just means that any time Derec can invent a way to dig at a woman who is strong, intelligent, well educated and accomplished, he’ll give it a try.

And fail, of course.
Hillary is among the most accomplished people in this country.

You may disagree with her politics. But you cannot deny that she rose to the top of USA political world before being female was an advantage. She is smart, ambitious, savvy and ruthless.

Pretending differently makes you look like an idiot.
Tom

The court that decided RvW consisted of eight white men and one black man.

The court that reversed RvW consisted of five white men, one black man, two white women, and one hispanic woman.

Identity politics is an interesting thing.
Dude. You really think people don't know who voted for and against this decision?

"Identity politics" has shit-all to do with this.

It's not irrelevant. It means that those justices were nominated by presidents the people didn't want to be in position to make those nominations.

By Meta’s “logic” Trump should still be president. His right to overthrow the 2020 electoral results was conferred upon him by elected senators and representatives.
Oh yes? I must have missed the part of the Constitution that gives the right of anyone who lost the electoral college to overthrow an election.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Here’s how Dems can + must do more than wait for an election. …" / Twitter
Here’s how Dems can + must do more than wait for an election.

Let’s start w/ why:

- 7 of the 9 justices were appointed by a party that hasn’t won a popular vote more than once in 30 years
Irrelevant. The Supreme Court justices are nominated by a President and confirmed by a Senate. If that means the court is 'illegitimate' then the Congress that AOC sits in is illegitimate.

A correction: The legislative body of the US is bicameral, comprised of a Senate and. House of Representatives. AOC is a member of the House of Representatives, not a Senator. The Senate informs Supreme Court nominees.

Whether or not the current US Supreme Court is legitimate is not dependent on nor does it determine whether AOC legitimately holds her seat.

Danke Hillary!

And fail, of course.
I understand that it gives you real, genuine pain to recognize or acknowledge that a woman can be so very accomplished as is Hillary Clinton and even more so if she differs from you politically.

But you’re being ridiculous here and it’s making you look really bad.

Oh yes? I must have missed the part of the Constitution that gives the right of anyone who lost the electoral college to overthrow an election.
Actually, if you look at the 2nd Amendment, in the original context, squint a bit, and you will see that the purpose of including it in the Constitution was precisely to facilitate episodes like the Jan6 insurgency.
Tom

I wonder what it would take to get Hillary Clinton to run for president in 2024?

I certainly don't agree with all her positions. But dayum, that bitch got things done.

I'd probably vote for her again.
Tom

It's not irrelevant. It means that those justices were nominated by presidents the people didn't want to be in position to make those nominations.

By Meta’s “logic” Trump should still be president. His right to overthrow the 2020 electoral results was conferred upon him by elected senators and representatives.
You and Donald Trump.

Actually, if you look at the 2nd Amendment, in the original context, squint a bit, and you will see that the purpose of including it in the Constitution was precisely to facilitate episodes like the Jan6 insurgency.
Tom
It helps if you hold it at just the right angle too.

Tom
It helps if you hold it at just the right angle too.
That's also important.
I didn't include everything.

The Constitution rather resembles The Bible. It's some writing by primitive men that's not always applicable to modern situations. But anyone who wants to support a modern belief or ethical value can nearly always find a verse that does the trick.

If not, just point out that God/Founding Fathers didn't specify. Then go on to explain what they'd have said if they'd gotten around to saying specifically. It's easy to justify nearly anything when old writings from primitive cultures are your guide.
Tom

I had hoped, intensely, this wouldn’t actually come. But the Dobbs case has been handed down. Unvarnished. Lawless. Dishonest. Heedless of the damage that will now immediately ensue. Hideously ideological, unelected hacks have moved to inflict their politics and their religion on a non-consenting nation. Now we all reap the whirlwind.

The U.S. Supreme Court has informed the nation and the world that the American constitutional ideal of liberty protects guns but not a woman’s right to reproductive freedom. A huge majority of us don’t believe that. These right-wing statists have declared that doesn’t matter. They’ll force it on us anyway. Their preferences prevail. Human rights and democracy be damned. They seem oblivious to the fact that they have, this day, announced the death of the Supreme Court. It may come in a month, or in a couple years, but it’s coming. Self-inflicted.

Democrats and their friends must understand that the battle for the American democracy is now, presently, upon us. Not tomorrow, not if the Congress is lost, not if Trump gets elected again, but now. This day. The Supreme Court fired on Fort Sumter. And if they’ll do this, it’s childish to think they won’t do more. Government by angry minority is launched. It will not be voluntarily abandoned.

So, in Washington, Democrats must act. First, the party must clearly state the mission. It must demand, therefore, the enactment of legislation codifying Roe v. Wade. Now. The bill should be as clean and sparse as possible to build the broadest coalition. It’s not time for a Christmas tree. But it must move. And all Democrats, if they are to stay in the caucus, must fight for it. They cannot defer based on the filibuster, the desire to meet authoritarians halfway, or anything else. The line of engagement must be drawn. If we lose, we lose. But at least we’ll show we’re committed to the American promise. And if we lose at this moment, we serve notice we’ll fight again next week. And the week after. We’re finished surrendering without battle.

Then there’s the Supreme Court. It’s crucial to be clear-eyed. There is no judicial institution here to save. It’s gone. The only question is whether it takes the democracy with it. The elected branches of government must fight back. So next, as has occurred before in our history, the Congress should pass legislation postponing the next term of the Supreme Court. A quick and bold shot across the bow; declaring this will not stand. It will cause disruption and confusion. But anyone who doesn’t think Dobbs has brought disruption by the galaxy-full is dreaming.

GOOGLE LASD GANGS on Twitter: "“My rights should not be a fundraising point for the Democrats.” 💯💯💯 (vid link)" / Twitter
Someone objecting that all too many Democrats use this as an opportunity to fundraise, despite having had plenty of opportunity to codify RvW into law.

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We have been sounding the alarm about this for a long time. ..." / Twitter
We have been sounding the alarm about this for a long time.

Some may want to go after the messenger, but we simply cannot make promises, hector people to vote, and then refuse to use our full power when they do.

We still have time to fix this and act. But we need to be brave.

And if you are a lawmaker who, in the time between the leak & ruling, spent more manpower on a fundraising plan than a policy response, then I highly recommend rethinking your priorities.

Our job right now is to protect people. Doing so will drive the vote more than browbeating.

- Restrain judicial review
- Expand the court
- Clinics on federal lands
- Expand education and access to Plan C
- Repeal Hyde
- Hold floor votes codifying Griswold, Obergefell, Lawrence, Loving, etc
- Vote on Escobar’s bill protecting clinics

We can do it!
We can at least TRY

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Forced pregnancy is a crime against humanity." / Twitter

I looked at the responses, and I found
Ricky J. Marc, J.D., M.S. on Twitter: "FYI: Forcing someone to carry a pregnancy to term is considered a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY according to the International Criminal Court’s Rōme Statute, whose jurisdiction the U.S. has repeatedly refused for reasons.

Don’t believe me? Read for yourselves: (links)" / Twitter

noting
United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect

The full statute: RS-Eng.pdf
"Forced pregnancy" means the unlawful confinement of a woman forcibly made pregnant, with the intent of affecting the ethnic composition of any population or carrying out other grave violations of international law. This definition shall not in any way be interpreted as affecting national laws relating to pregnancy;
So one could haggle over that.

Danke Hillary!

And fail, of course.
I understand that it gives you real, genuine pain to recognize or acknowledge that a woman can be so very accomplished as is Hillary Clinton and even more so if she differs from you politically.
There are many very accomplished women out there. It is an insult to them to count Hillary in their number.

Danke Hillary!

And fail, of course.
There are many very accomplished women out there. It is an insult to them to count Hillary in their number.
Wow

Back
Top Bottom