• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Thank you to everyone who replied about my mother's position on abortion so far. Needless to say, she's an extremely important person in my life and my respect for her is immeasurable. The reason I asked for opinions here is that I don't have access to people who'd be as articulate on the subject in real life as I've seen on this forum. I also value member opinions (not all of you of course :p). It was just to get more perspectives since I have an obvious bias.

By your own words, your and your girlfriend were going to obtain an abortion. So how is Toni’s post a lie?
It's so far back in the thread, I don't even care anymore.

I said "We were looking for an abortion".

Toni changed that to "You were enthusiastically looking for an abortion for your girlfriend.", or something similar.
You did look for an abortion for your girlfriend. The fact she looked as well does not change that you did look. That means Toni’s statement is not a lie.
TomC said:
I don't even care what lies she tells anymore. I just expect them. I barely read them.

I understand her very well.
From what I tell from your posts, you do not understand what a lie is or Toni at all.

You didn’t write both of those things.
Yes I did.
You may just assume that as a male I must be lying, but I did.

I said that "we" had come to the decision of abortion. It was a difficult decision for both of us.

You mischaracterized that as
, you were enthusiastically looking for an abortion fir the girl.

That's what I mean by lying and mischaracterization.
Tom

That's the closest I've seen you two getting to apologizing to each other. :ROFLMAO:
Because you don't have access to our PM.
I've apologized before, being...
Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.
I don't have access to your PM.

But one of my first PMs on this forum was apologizing to you for something I said.

You can say, "No, that's bullshit" all you want. It's the sort of thing I expect from you now. But it happened.
Tom

Do you think they lied? If so, which sentences did they utter that were lies?
Jesus Christ pal. Watch the fucking video. If you think these people weren't misleading, say so and say why. I think they they fucking lied lied because any sane reasonable person would look at the statements they made and assume they wouldn't take Roe v Wade to the chopping block. You seem to disagree, and I am quite interested in your reason as to why.

And then after that, you can explain to me, and just me personally, as to why no one should believe [two US Senators who stated they were misled by these Supreme Court Justices with regards to Roe V Wade.

And just so we are clear, I am not an insufferable pedant. I find the discrepancy between "misled" and "lied" in this context to be a distinction without meaning.
Be prepared for disappointment unless Metaphor has something other than abstract alternative “explanations” without a shred empirical corroboration.

That's the closest I've seen you two getting to apologizing to each other. :ROFLMAO:
Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.

But one of my first PMs on this forum was apologizing to you for something I said.

You can say, "No, that's bullshit" all you want. It's the sort of thing I expect from you now. But it happened.
Tom
You have access to any PM you sent and did not delete.

You didn’t write both of those things.
Yes I did.
You may just assume that as a male I must be lying, but I did.

I said that "we" had come to the decision of abortion. It was a difficult decision for both of us.

You mischaracterized that as
, you were enthusiastically looking for an abortion fir the girl.

That's what I mean by lying and mischaracterization.
Tom
No: you are again not understanding me: you did not write that you loved your sister and wanted to support her. You only wrote that you didn’t want her to go with her stupid friends. You only wrote one of them and wanted me to assume the other—which I would have done if you hadn’t talked about her stupid friends.

My ‘You’ included both of you. Not just you. I did not imply or mean to imply that YOU, Tom C, were the only or primary person seeking an abortion. My use of the word enthusiastic might have been incorrect but you could have simply said that there was nothing enthusiastic about it. You could have made a correction instead of accusing me of lying.

Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.
It took awhile for me to find, given my poor skills.

"I shouldn't have referred to you in another thread. Where I got shitty about "passive aggression".

My bad, I apologize."

I sent you that April 18, 2021.

F you

Tom

Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.

Tom
I apologize—I went back through my pms and yes, once you did apologize for your snipping at me.

Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.

"I shouldn't have referred to you in another thread. Where I got shitty about "passive aggression".

My bad, I apologize."

F you

Tom
What, no poop emoji?!

Ya know...
Tom
I’m calling bullshit.

My bad, I apologize."

F you

Tom
What, no poop emoji?!
This is the sort of brilliant reparte I've come to expect from your ilk.
Tom

Well, we can't all be be held to the lofty standard of accusing other posters of lying and telling them to fuck off. So we make due with what we can. :diablotin:

TomC at least they're being consistent. When I said fuck all yall (which is worse than fuck you IMO) not a single fuck was bestowed upon me.

Edit: In fact, I think that happened earlier on in this thread. :p

My mother raised me to never put my penis in a woman unless I was prepared for the possibility of pregnancy and all the responsibilities that come along with it. Yesterday I asked her (because I never honestly thought to before) what her thoughts are on abortion. Her answer was predictable to me (being that I was raised by her) she said (paraphrasing) that a woman has full control over her body when deciding whether or not to have sex & if she gets pregnant she should accept the outcome of that choice. She also said a pregnant woman has 50% control over her body when pregnant. She also mentioned that a complete ban on abortion would be a bad idea (again paraphrasing) because it should be available for cases of rape & unviable pregnancies (medical reasons) as at that point the woman should retain 100% control of her body.

I tried asking her when she believes life starts and she refused to answer (literally sucked her teeth in that Jamaican way) and said (paraphrasing) if you don't want a baby don't have sex until you're ready for one.

I'm sharing this convo because I'm genuinely interested in opinions on my momma's position.
While it is decent advice to talk about not getting pregnant as a way to avoid accidental pregnancies, the truth is, people in mature relationships have accidents too. And ultimately, we need to step away from the Just Say No argument. There are unwanted pregnancies before Roe, during Roe, and now tragically after Roe. Abortion isn't the cause of unwanted pregnancies. Human nature is. And much like in an ideal world we wouldn't have car accidents, accidental pregnancy among a large group of people, despite precautions is a guarantee.

So the see no evil, hear no evil approach is effectively naïve. We need to address the problem, not pretend we can prevent it all the time.

And we are seeing with some GOP'ers and Justice Thomas, the target is well well beyond abortion. They are aiming at birth control (hence they aren't seeking to eliminate accidental pregnancies) and basic gay rights.
Yeah, saying that we shouldn’t allow abortion because people could just abstain from sex if they don’t want to cause pregnancies, is as sensible as saying that we shouldn’t allow first responders to save people from wrecked cars, because people could just abstain from driving if they don’t want to die slowly and in agony while trapped in mangled wreckage.

Speaking of fuck, where the fuck were we? Oh, TomC will like this one, the Texas AG says he'll defend any new anti-sodomy law in front of SCOTUS. Man, the elimination of legal abortion was supposed to the tragedy, but it seems like this SCOTUS wants to make it the tip of the iceberg.

Then we have this... Das Internetz interwebbingz could betray women online.
article said:
An investigation by Lockdown Privacy, the maker of an app that blocks online tracking, found that Planned Parenthood’s web scheduler can share information with a variety of third parties, including Google, Facebook, TikTok and Hotjar, a tracking tool that says it helps companies understand how customers behave. These outside companies receive data including IP addresses, approximate Zip codes and service selections, which privacy experts worry could be valuable to state governments looking to prosecute abortions.
So, now a decision on abortion is pulling third party tech companies into the web.

Well, we can't all be be held to the lofty standard of accusing other posters of lying and telling them to fuck off. So we make due with what we can. :diablotin:
No.
But we can quote them. I don't find that difficult.

They may suddenly be unaware of the multiple uses of the word "you".

But "I'm calling bullshit." wasn't hard to understand. That's just one.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom