• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Rs vs Ds And The Middle Class - split from RFK -D ???

To notify a split thread.
You didn't come up with this Amish "guess" on your own, it's popular antivax dogma, but it's a stupid myth/lie.
I think it's obvious that RVonse is getting his info/talking points from right-wing rags that continually lie to him. Then he brings the lies here, they get disproven, he gets humiliated. The real question is, why does he keep going back for more lies? Is it because he wants to believe them more than he wants the truth?
In RVonse's defense, he has avoided all the Trump threads since he's been indicted (the very first one I mean). That suggests to me there is some self awareness at least.
This is exactly how the democrat party has come to the point that the middle class no longer matters to them. From time stamp 23:40 to 26:53

I might have to revisit my comment on RVonse being self aware. His idea of what the middle class is is still laughably dogshit.

Well thank goodness we have this gem of insight from a genuine champion of the middle class. Old white guys in suits, sitting in luxurious red chairs in a room filled with expensive lamps, other luxurious red chairs, and a wall of books in the distance tells me that these two fellas are just working class stiffs like me. Just trying to get by. That's the vibe I get from these two.

I honestly don't understand why the working/middle class don't rush out right away to embrace these obviously regular Joes.
You do have a point well taken with the interviewer since he is an ex-prime minister of Australia.

But Victor Davis Hanson (who did 99% of the talking) grew up on a multi-generation small farm in California (back when small farming could still be done there). And other than authoring several books and being well educated.... he is a perfect example of middle class coming from immigration roots as you can get. He still lives in the small farm house but leases the small land plot to a major agriculture farmer. If he does not have a lot of credibility with the middle class, he should.
Why? I see nothing in his background that makes him an expert in class dynamics and economics.

That’s the propaganda that works for them though. Coal jobs left Appalachia a couple of decades ago with mechanization. It won’t matter how much we increase the amount of coal extracted we won’t add appreciable numbers of jobs. The people there know this. But at least Trump paid lip service to their condition with his talk of more coal. For them the Democrats only care about city dwelling minorities, gays, and immigrants. It is what their media tells them day in and day out. It was Democrats that fought along side them in the mine wars that got them a brief shot at decent wages. But the unions that came out of that don’t mean much when it takes drag lines and explosives instead of people to get the coal. And nobody is making the absentee owners invest their take back into the local economy so they are left with a handful of high paying management and equipment operator jobs while everybody and everything else rots. They have a general sense of loss and abandonment and the GOP has used their social norms and prejudice to give them scapegoats.
It's not invested into the local economy because the money didn't come from the local economy in the first place. It goes to the people who build that fancy equipment. Force the companies to invest it in the local economy and you are in effect taking it from them, the mines would simply close instead.
Yes. That is the nature of mechanized resource extraction. It is in evidence in any of the towns near active profitable mountaintop removal and valley fill operations. Kind of the purpose of pointing out the GOP lie that more coal extraction will bring the jobs back. It’s good for the mine owner, Norfolk Southern, and Caterpillar but not the residents.

Well thank goodness we have this gem of insight from a genuine champion of the middle class. Old white guys in suits, sitting in luxurious red chairs in a room filled with expensive lamps, other luxurious red chairs, and a wall of books in the distance tells me that these two fellas are just working class stiffs like me. Just trying to get by. That's the vibe I get from these two.

I honestly don't understand why the working/middle class don't rush out right away to embrace these obviously regular Joes.
You do have a point well taken with the interviewer since he is an ex-prime minister of Australia.

But Victor Davis Hanson (who did 99% of the talking) grew up on a multi-generation small farm in California (back when small farming could still be done there). And other than authoring several books and being well educated.... he is a perfect example of middle class coming from immigration roots as you can get. He still lives in the small farm house but leases the small land plot to a major agriculture farmer. If he does not have a lot of credibility with the middle class, he should.
Why? I see nothing in his background that makes him an expert in class dynamics and economics.
Exactly. While the wiki doesn't go much into his early life, he's been an academic for most of his time on the planet. He retired early from that career (not something the middle class gets to do often) and went on to work at a couple conservative think thanks and organizations. He was a vocal supporter of the Iraq war, voted for George W. Bush, and (again) wrote a book praising Trump.

Real champion of the liberals right there.

Now, growing up on a family farm does not make one working class. Jimmy Carter's family was known for peanut farming, but it was hardly a hard-scrabble life. Owning a large agricultural business doesn't mean you tilled the fields. You paid someone else to do that. Yet Carter (despite his well to do family and prestigious military career) remained a champion for the working class his entire life.

This guy seems to have always been an advocate of the capitalist class.

Exactly. While the wiki doesn't go much into his early life, he's been an academic for most of his time on the planet. He retired early from that career (not something the middle class gets to do often) and went on to work at a couple conservative think thanks and organizations. He was a vocal supporter of the Iraq war, voted for George W. Bush, and (again) wrote a book praising Trump.

Real champion of the liberals right there.

Now, growing up on a family farm does not make one working class. Jimmy Carter's family was known for peanut farming, but it was hardly a hard-scrabble life. Owning a large agricultural business doesn't mean you tilled the fields. You paid someone else to do that. Yet Carter (despite his well to do family and prestigious military career) remained a champion for the working class his entire life.

This guy seems to have always been an advocate of the capitalist class.
Yup. By my calculations, he left the farm and went to college at around 18 yrs old.

And what is the conservative plane for the middle class? More tax cuts for the rich that are supposed to "trickle down"?

Yup. By my calculations, he left the farm and went to college at around 18 yrs old.

And what is the conservative plane for the middle class? More tax cuts for the rich that are supposed to "trickle down"?
A thought came into my mind a bit ago while I was driving back from a trip to the store. There was a story on the radio about the public perception of the economy. Inflation is coming down, but gas prices are headed up. In the upcoming election, middle class people will be focused on the economy. The thought I had was very conservative. Maybe even libertarian.

"Well if gas is too expensive, why don't you just make more money? Why should the government help you? Grab those bootstraps and pull yourself up, ya lazy lout!"

Yet while that won't be the message that the GOP runs on, you can bet it'll be the policy they enact if they win.

And what is the conservative plane for the middle class?
Usually an aging 737 that has changed hands several times, and is now flying for a budget airline, between Luton and Benidorm.
Hah, flying from Patrick Henry Field to Sanford. Sitting on the window just forward of the starboard engine. Witnessed a compressor stall when they reversed thrust after wheels down. They used to fly ancient MD80s but they upgraded to slightly less ancient 737 hand me downs from another discount airline. Never fun to see flames come out the front of the engine, even when you have landed.

Small farming has pretty much died because of high tech. A high tech system is simply more efficient, but can't be done on a small farmer scale.

I was never aware of how unimportant health care, college debt, and jobs were to the middle class. Biden got the infrastructure bill through. Democrats are trying to manage health care options better. Attempting to help with college debt.

There is this hardly veiled racist attempt to make it look like the Democrats only care about uber rich white people and poor minorities.

I was never aware of how unimportant health care, college debt, and jobs were to the middle class. Biden got the infrastructure bill through. Democrats are trying to manage health care options better. Attempting to help with college debt.

There is this hardly veiled racist attempt to make it look like the Democrats only care about uber rich white people and poor minorities.
These are only problems for the white middle class because the limousine liberals took all the money for themselves and their welfare queen constituency. If we just cut the taxes on the mega corporations to zero then they'd make it rain and the middle class would thrive.

Back
Top Bottom