• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rush Limbaugh death pool?

How much time and will he be replaced?

• a few weeks and no replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a few months and no replacement

• a year or more and no replacement

• a few weeks and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • a few months and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • a year or more and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I used to listen in to his show from time to time while driving around the Valley. He was charismatic, clever, and had a good voice for radio. Alas, those were his only good qualities.

It is a voice I will be glad to never hear again. Unfortunately, this means I will have to avoid watching the news for several days, given that they will all be playing clips of him when they talk about his death.

Maybe that's not a bad thing either...

If the death pool is still going on, I'm picking Feb 17, 2021.

If he dies on that day, you all owe me money.

I have heard of him but have never heard him. Seems a controversial figure.

I'm amazed to hear of an English speaking North American who has never heard Rush Limbaugh.

How did you manage this feat? There's a ton of entertainment figures I'd prefer to avoid. But I'm not good enough at the internetz to remain that clean.

I believe he was an AM radio broadcaster and I rarely listen to AM radio. Maybe he was not broadcast in the Los Angeles area. But even if he was, I don't think his show would be my cup of tea and would have changed the station anyway. Perhaps I did stumble upon him but if I did, it hasn't registered. I'm an FM guy on my commute.

I never listened to his show on air, as best as I remember. But he was so good at encapsulating the right-wing opinions about everything that people sent me texts and stuff with video quotes or whatever or posted them on the internet.

I couldn't avoid Rush Limbaugh, here in southern Indiana, any more than I could avoid Madonna and her bras.

You do remember when Madonna made wearing your bra outside your top a thing? Don't you?

I have trouble believing that a heterosexual adult male doesn't remember that episode in pop culture. I also have trouble believing that you've never heard Limbaugh. Limbaugh was much bigger than AM talk radio.
Tom

Actually maybe Rush was killed by the Jewish space laser.
You think their aim is that good?
No, but all they did was set the laser to not-so-tight beam, not-very-wide aperture, making the target a five city block area.
Then the beam heated and activated the contact poisons layered on every Medal of Freedom handed out by The Buffoon, that happened to be in the area.

Which is why certain people turned down the award when offered. Someone 'in the know' said, "PSSSSSSSST!"

I have heard of him but have never heard him. Seems a controversial figure.

I'm amazed to hear of an English speaking North American who has never heard Rush Limbaugh.

How did you manage this feat? There's a ton of entertainment figures I'd prefer to avoid. But I'm not good enough at the internetz to remain that clean.

I believe he was an AM radio broadcaster and I rarely listen to AM radio. Maybe he was not broadcast in the Los Angeles area. But even if he was, I don't think his show would be my cup of tea and would have changed the station anyway. Perhaps I did stumble upon him but if I did, it hasn't registered. I'm an FM guy on my commute.

FWIW I never listened to a second of his shows either. I know of him and remember his early days from clips when he trapesed around the audience glassy eyed and high. He was a right winger of the most evil.

There is only one clip of Rush that I enjoy watching.

In March 1990 he was a fill in host for Pat Sajak's talk show. It was a new experience for him because the audience was NOT filled with ditto heads. When he tried tried to argue with some of the audience they had no problem criticizing him to his face. So during the commercial break they had the entire audience removed, and he did the rest of the show without them.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/LNK4byQkn7w[/YOUTUBE]

FWIW I never listened to a second of his shows either. I know of him and remember his early days from clips when he trapesed around the audience glassy eyed and high. He was a right winger of the most evil.

You know him from "clips" and hearsay?

Explains why you could believe Oxford wrote Shakespeare.

There is only one clip of Rush that I enjoy watching.

In March 1990 he was a fill in host for Pat Sajak's talk show. It was a new experience for him because the audience was NOT filled with ditto heads. When he tried tried to argue with some of the audience they had no problem criticizing him to his face. So during the commercial break they had the entire audience removed, and he did the rest of the show without them.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/LNK4byQkn7w[/YOUTUBE]

Never saw that clip but it definitely demonstrates the man's hypocrisy. My opinion of him was that he was only and always in it for the money and that clip demonstrates that pretty nicely. His shows must have been a tiny notch above Jerry Springer.

I never knew he had a show on TV. Isn't he just another type of "shock jock" like Howard Stern, Tom Leykis ?

Guys like Rush and Howie Car are a huge part of the rise of the right wing Trump deplorables. They command huge audiences on AM radio of all fucking things. Which tells you just how out of touch with modern times they really are... these guys were there before Fox and right thru to the end.

His show was syndicated and on many FM talk stations. He started on AM and (as much as I hate to admit it) was a big part of saving AM/Talk radio from oblivion back in the day. That said, I don't give a hoot that he's gone.

I never knew he had a show on TV. Isn't he just another type of "shock jock" like Howard Stern, Tom Leykis ?

Yes, and that gig doesn't succeed when you have a live audience and a live camera. You just don't get to control the narrative. I suppose that could work if you screened your audience and removed people at will. But as that one clip demonstrated if you're basically a propagandist you have to control the narrative, the microphone, be able to shout another person down at will and succeed at doing so. It just doesn't happen if you have a live audience, a camera and a diversity of opinion. You're just not in control.

And if you are essentially a person of conflict, which Rush was, people will arrive to confront you. So radio is your only alternative.

Yes, and that gig doesn't succeed when you have a live audience and a live camera. You just don't get to control the narrative. I suppose that could work if you screened your audience and removed people at will. But as that one clip demonstrated if you're basically a propagandist you have to control the narrative, the microphone, be able to shout another person down at will and succeed at doing so. It just doesn't happen if you have a live audience, a camera and a diversity of opinion. You're just not in control.

And if you are essentially a person of conflict, which Rush was, people will arrive to confront you. So radio is your only alternative.
He did have a tv show for 4 years. Like you are saying, the audience was entirely made of Rush fans. Sort of like Trump rallies.

On the right he is irreplaceable. Our weaker versi0n in Seattle is Bory Munson

The left and right are equally crass and crude, obvio0usly. There is not much difference between progressive and conservative radio. The left are called commies, the right is called Nazi and fascists. Listen to radio on both sides.

Limbaugh was very, very effective in influencing people and at times pressuring politicians. Did not say I liked him, only that he is irreplaceable to the right as a mobilizing force. Thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom