• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rush Limbaugh death pool?

How much time and will he be replaced?

• a few weeks and no replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a few months and no replacement

• a year or more and no replacement

• a few weeks and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • a few months and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • a year or more and his replacement is waiting

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
dv2qrz2lb5i61.jpg

Way too much work for Trump's fat ass. A day gig? For this overweight hobby-golfer? Nah. He'd be good for a few days in a row, and then he'd be gone.

Yeah, I can't see trump taking a real job with actual work and all. 3 hours a day having to talk to his rubes, the types pf people he would never associate with IRL, let alone let them join one of his stick-up-the-ass clubs.

Yeah...about that...

Some of the hardest working people I know in the business are doing syndicated radio shows. For every hour you're "on the air" you spend three hours just getting the thing prepared to go on the air, and that doesn't include all the extra work to service the affiliates, promote the show, and keep an eye on the business aspects.

Of course a lot of that infrastructure would be already in place for Trump, but if his only job was to show up on time for a few hours and shout into a microphone? That's still not going to work. For this type of show, you have to be present. Not just physically, but mentally.

For all his many faults, Rush was focused. Every day he'd show up, have a plan for the day, know where he was going, and know what he was trying to accomplish. Trump - if The Apprentice is any guide - shows up, rants and/or pontificates for hours, and then leaves the mess for someone else to clean up after he's gone. That's not gonna work for a radio show.

Randi Rhodes spends a great deal of time preparing for her show daily. A couple hours before her show airs, I get an email with at least a dozen links to the sources she will be using for the subject matter of the show for that day, mostly newspapers, mostly mainstream. She's big on telling her listeners to subscribe to at least one good newspaper for proper journalism.

During the height of the AIDs crisis in the 80's, Limbaugh had a regular segment where he would celebrate and laugh at the deaths of homosexuals with AIDS by playing Dionne Warwicks "I'll never love this way again"

He is the godfather of the current Trump movement and the alt-right.
It was Dionne Warwick at first. After Freddie Mercury died, he changed it to "Another One Bites the Dust".

He followed up many news items about gays (especially Barney Frank) by playing 'My Boy Lollipop', sometimes adding slurping sounds.
I admit this thread is lacking in empathy, but in this case, it's a feedback loop to Medal of Freedom recipient Rush himself. One fat slut. He should be commemorated in the style that he treated others, especially his "foes" when they faced discrimination, disease, and even death. Dying painfully does not ennoble this man in any way.

a lot of what passes for "education" in the US is miseducation

The hard right GQP, proud boys, Oathkeepers, Qanon and Derec all agree. They can't all be wrong... right?

Most of the "mis-education" that occurs in the US does not come from actual education systems or sources, but from Rush Limbaugh and his ilk: OAN, NewsMax, FOX et al.

Lyle Lanley comes in and tells you everything you want to hear; that every prejudice in your reptilian brain is correct - I mean, who could refuse?

but-what-about-85do8y.jpg

During the height of the AIDs crisis in the 80's, Limbaugh had a regular segment where he would celebrate and laugh at the deaths of homosexuals with AIDS by playing Dionne Warwicks "I'll never love this way again"

He is the godfather of the current Trump movement and the alt-right.
It was Dionne Warwick at first. After Freddie Mercury died, he changed it to "Another One Bites the Dust".

God damn I'm trying really really hard to not let myself be happy he is dead, but you are trying me something fierce.

I'm not sure the fact that rush admitted (back in the 90s, I think) that if he could get the same kind of $$$ doing a left wing show, he would, makes his horriblness better or worse. For the longest time, he didn't seem to actually believe most of what he said, but I think as he got older, he started to drink his own kool-aid. Spewing that kind of hateful rhetoric (for the $$$) will eventually take hold, no matter how much one claims to be an 'entertainer'.

Trump's Egocentric Rush Limbaugh Eulogy on Fox News - YouTube

Trump appeared on Fox News, but he talked mostly about himself and how the recent election was stolen from him. He did not mention RL very much, saying that RL agreed that that election was stolen from him, and that RL could hit the ball a long way when playing golf.

Seems like Trump wouldn't be a very good radio-show host, because he'd have a hard time avoiding talking about himself and how great he is and how wounded he is.

Rush Limbaugh is Dead! Should We Mourn Him? - YouTube
Cenk Uygur did an amusing rant on the horrible things that he has said over the years.

That tweet from Andrea Junker:
Don't know who needs to hear this, but Rush Limbaugh deserves the same respect and humanity he showed to Chelsea Clinton, Michael J. Fox, Kurt Cobain, Barack Obama, RGB, Donovan McNabb, Sandra Fluke, rape victims, Iraq war veterans, refugees, and the victims of shootings.
RGB seems like a typo for RBG, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

What did he say about RBG?

Trump's Egocentric Rush Limbaugh Eulogy on Fox News - YouTube

Trump appeared on Fox News, but he talked mostly about himself and how the recent election was stolen from him. He did not mention RL very much, saying that RL agreed that that election was stolen from him, and that RL could hit the ball a long way when playing golf.

Seems like Trump wouldn't be a very good radio-show host, because he'd have a hard time avoiding talking about himself and how great he is and how wounded he is.

Rush Limbaugh is Dead! Should We Mourn Him? - YouTube
Cenk Uygur did an amusing rant on the horrible things that he has said over the years.

That tweet from Andrea Junker:
Don't know who needs to hear this, but Rush Limbaugh deserves the same respect and humanity he showed to Chelsea Clinton, Michael J. Fox, Kurt Cobain, Barack Obama, RGB, Donovan McNabb, Sandra Fluke, rape victims, Iraq war veterans, refugees, and the victims of shootings.
RGB seems like a typo for RBG, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

I don't think his life justifies celebration of his death. I just don't think his life justifies mourning his death either. He walked into the circumstances that killed him with a choir singing loudly of his destination as he stepped down the path, happily sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting "quiet down with that noise" as he stepped.

As he stepped, he made sure to drop every piece of litter that he may, took every opportunity to laugh as others fell from the edges of their own paths whether they jumped, slipped, or were pushed by others. He even laughed at those who fell as he himself provided the requisite bump.

Only a psychopath pities the end of that.

All I can do is join the choir singing of where such steps on the paths of life will lead, what precipitous fall awaits at their end, and that the fruits that grow on the path have no taste of pity or empathy: that they are bitter fruits.

I mourn that death is proved to be the only balm for such open wounds of humanity yet again. I don't mourn the death, I mourn the necessity of it that death, because the cost of being able to bid farewell to such extant hate is to accept that extant love will also die.

Clip from shortly after the '06 mid terms. Rush, in a rare moment of honesty, said he felt relief that the democrats won because he was tired of 'carrying water' for the republicans, of trying to defend the indefensible. Gee, if he hated trying to defend Bush's policies I wonder what he really thought of Trump's.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/GAPIKcuBn5U[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not sure the fact that rush admitted (back in the 90s, I think) that if he could get the same kind of $$$ doing a left wing show, he would, makes his horriblness better or worse. For the longest time, he didn't seem to actually believe most of what he said, but I think as he got older, he started to drink his own kool-aid. Spewing that kind of hateful rhetoric (for the $$$) will eventually take hold, no matter how much one claims to be an 'entertainer'.

Exactly. I think "I'm just an entertainer" is the AM radio equivalent of "I don't support Trump, but...."; more a cover for awfulness than a repudiation of it. The truth is that Rush regularly said things no human being would say unless on some level they meant them. Or if not, then the division between thought and action was so steep that it hardly matters. If your private beliefs don't prevent you from openly advocating for ethnocidal violence on one of the largest platforms in the nation, what good are they? Of what interest to whom are they? But I don't think his private beliefs were as far from his publicly stated beliefs as his sometime comments would suggest, in any case. Rush liked to be seen as "the smartest kid in the room", and claiming to be able to see beyond party lines, even fight for the other side if it were more advantageous, feeds that impression. I'm smarter than all of you, I'm the one who tells you how things really are, I don't answer to any Party. Sure.... Most people with a decent IQ are prone to the allure of thinking that they somehow do or could color entirely outside the lines.

But the proof is in the pudding. I can claim to be a non-partisan, not-technically-Democrat all I like, but what does my voting record show?

Yeah...about that...

Some of the hardest working people I know in the business are doing syndicated radio shows. For every hour you're "on the air" you spend three hours just getting the thing prepared to go on the air, and that doesn't include all the extra work to service the affiliates, promote the show, and keep an eye on the business aspects.

Of course a lot of that infrastructure would be already in place for Trump, but if his only job was to show up on time for a few hours and shout into a microphone? That's still not going to work. For this type of show, you have to be present. Not just physically, but mentally.

For all his many faults, Rush was focused. Every day he'd show up, have a plan for the day, know where he was going, and know what he was trying to accomplish. Trump - if The Apprentice is any guide - shows up, rants and/or pontificates for hours, and then leaves the mess for someone else to clean up after he's gone. That's not gonna work for a radio show.

Randi Rhodes spends a great deal of time preparing for her show daily. A couple hours before her show airs, I get an email with at least a dozen links to the sources she will be using for the subject matter of the show for that day, mostly newspapers, mostly mainstream. She's big on telling her listeners to subscribe to at least one good newspaper for proper journalism.

Yep. A friend of mine used to work on her show, though I don't recall what he did for her. Even doing prep for a regular morning show on a music station can be pretty involved. When I was a producer I'd work 10-12 hour days regularly, even though the show was only 4 hours.

Clip from shortly after the '06 mid terms. Rush, in a rare moment of honesty, said he felt relief that the democrats won because he was tired of 'carrying water' for the republicans, of trying to defend the indefensible. Gee, if he hated trying to defend Bush's policies I wonder what he really thought of Trump's.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/GAPIKcuBn5U[/YOUTUBE]

And Bush made a nice tribute to him anyway, like so many other establishment Repubs, showing you where the establishment true colors lie. There was a time where Limbaugh was ignored by the elites, but eventually they embraced him and he became one of them. Just like with Trump, one of his descendants.

I listened to him in the 90s and 00s and I can knowledgably say he was a Big Fat Idiot, to borrow a title. He was especially dumb when it came to science, and till the end he was a science denier, denying covid reality. Did he ever even admit smoking may have caused his cancer? But maybe worst of all, he was so booooring, with all that paper shuffling, and taking forever to make a point. His "jokes" were only ever funny if you were as stupid and bigoted as him to accept his premises, and even then they mostly failed at humor because they were no more than name calling. I don't get all the "but he was entertaining" takes at all.

In honor of his life's work and example, I won't say anything nice of him. Mega-dittos on that.

Last edited:
Mega-dittos on that.

OMG!

The "ditto heads". I'd managed to forget that.
It also brings to mind images of "beefy" guys wearing T-shirts emblazoned "Rush is God".

Tom

They were so slavish and adoring. (Meanwhile he went through wife after wife -- they apparently loved the mansion lifestyle but couldn't endure the colossal Rushfart that surrounded him.) One dittohead called him to ask what cigar to smoke, and hung on every word as Rush pushed the sophisticated wonders of tobacco on him.
Blastula -- tell us more about covid denial -- what specifically did he say was a hoax?

Mega-dittos on that.

OMG!

The "ditto heads". I'd managed to forget that.
It also brings to mind images of "beefy" guys wearing T-shirts emblazoned "Rush is God".

Tom

Yeah, I remembered them earlier today and thought "The Ditto Heads have been mindlessly following Rush's lead all this time, don't stop now."

Back
Top Bottom