• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RussiaGate

Who is "we"?
YOU can't even keep your shit straight on this little forum

So what is the current word because I didn't find anything to suggest that this word has gone out of use or what it is replaced with.

Is this forum somehow obligated to serve you up the remedial education you so sorely need?
Probably and probably not...

Personally, I think the whole associating with the Marx brothers is rather unflattering to them...I was thinking more of Ed, Edd n Eddy.

Who is "we"?

So what is the current word because I didn't find anything to suggest that this word has gone out of use or what it is replaced with.

Is this forum somehow obligated to serve you up the remedial education you so sorely need?

So I shall wait for your reply.

Silently?
Praise Xenu !

Per the dictionary Afro-American has not gone out of the American language. It has been largely replaced by African American.
The statement was 'Who uses this word anymore?' It may be right but there is nothing to indicate other than African American is used.

Just saying the obvious

Capt Obvious.

Who is "we"?

Personally, I think the whole associating with the Marx brothers is rather unflattering to them...I was thinking more of Ed, Edd n Eddy.

Or Dumb and Dumber?

We can't keep up with the latest political-correctness fads in the USA. So what is the current word because I didn't find anything to suggest that this word has gone out of use or what it is replaced with.
There are several words.
MAYBE if you can't keep up with American trends, you should not try to use American trends. Wouldn't it be better to stick to your local usage?
If you have an up to date meaning in a dictionary this will be useful.
No, it wouldn't. The meaning hasn't changed. Just the usage is dated.
There is an entry in Dictionary.com which says it is largely replaced by African-American.
You just said you didn't find anything to suggest it was out of usage or what it was replaced with....?
Okay, whatever.

Per the dictionary Afro-American has not gone out of the American language.
Did anyone claim that it had?
The term still has a meaning, it just isn't much in usage right now. What you would want is a style guide, not a dictionary, to help you with this particular problem.
Thus the actual question I actually asked.
It has been largely replaced by African American.
The statement was 'Who uses this word anymore?'
That, uh, that's not a STATEMENT.
Words and their usage is hard for you, isn't it?
It may be right but there is nothing to indicate other than African American is used.

Just saying the obvious
No, actually, calling a question a statement isn't obvious, it's more 'oblivious.'
So is contradicting yourself.
And the use/purpose of a dictionary escapes you as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I think the whole associating with the Marx brothers is rather unflattering to them...
You don't think they'd appreciate being used in mockery? I think they'd be tickled red.

The term still has a meaning, it just isn't much in usage right now. What you would want is a style guide, not a dictionary, to help you with this particular problem.
Thus the actual question I actually asked.
It has been largely replaced by African American.
The statement was 'Who uses this word anymore?'
That, uh, that's not a STATEMENT.
It may be right but there is nothing to indicate other than African American is used.

Just saying the obvious
No, actually, calling a question a statement isn't obvious, it's more 'oblivious.'

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I think the whole associating with the Marx brothers is rather unflattering to them...
You don't think they'd appreciate being used in mockery? I think they'd be tickled red.

In brief, I take it that Afro-American is not used very often? If this is offensive then clearly it would be the wrong word to use.

So what are the correct words to use?

We should really be saying 'ALL LIVES MATTER' but that is politically incorrect and just not good Marxism.

Everyone should say all lives matter. You are so biased you can only think in terms of "we." Oh wait, I get it!! You were pointing out that a particular group ("we" or "us") should do something because that particular group needs more focus on the matter. You didn't actually mean that all people shouldn't say all lives matter. You just wanted that focus because you thought there was a deficiency as pertains to a subgroup ("we"). Well, you're right after all. It's okay to mention one group to put some focus there even though it may apply to everyone. Good point.

Thus the actual question I actually asked. That, uh, that's not a STATEMENT.

Just saying the obvious

- - - Updated - - -

In brief, I take it that Afro-American is not used very often? If this is offensive then clearly it would be the wrong word to use.

What rock have you been living under for the past couple of decades?

Thus the actual question I actually asked. That, uh, that's not a STATEMENT.

Just saying the obvious

- - - Updated - - -

What rock have you been living under for the past couple of decades?

Eh. I believe he is a British ex-pat who lived in East/Southeast Asia for a while. Afro is a very common prefix to denote "people who trace their ancestry to the African continent". E.g. Afro-Caribbean.

In brief, I take it that Afro-American is not used very often?
What do you think makes a term a 'dated' term?
If this is offensive then clearly it would be the wrong word to use.
Well, geez, collectively identifying a group by their hair MAY be just a little offensive, if the person doesn't tend to think of themselves by their hair style, first. Especially if they're not actually sporting an afro...
Going out on a limb, maybe, i dunno... Your Own? I think i suggested that up thread somewhere...

But anyway, who suggested that it has left the American Language?
And does your dictionary help you understand the difference between questions and statements?

- - - Updated - - -

Eh. I believe he is a British ex-pat who lived in East/Southeast Asia for a while. Afro is a very common prefix to denote "people who trace their ancestry to the African continent". E.g. Afro-Caribbean.
Common where?
Because around here, by which i mean between this desk and the garage, it raises some people's hackles.

Women have for a long time been allowed to have marches. Men also march and that is all part of a democracy, even if the marches are protesting against a democratic election process.

A democratic election process is one where the person that gets the most votes wins. That didn't happen here.

Women have for a long time been allowed to have marches. Men also march and that is all part of a democracy, even if the marches are protesting against a democratic election process.

A democratic election process is one where the person that gets the most votes wins. That didn't happen here.

David Cameron won the British elections with a small majority with just 36.1% of the Vote. Teresa May won far more votes but ended up with a minority of seats.

In the US you've had a couple of hundred years or so to change the system but have not.

The difference is that in the UK we don't moan about it even though we know that we also have an unfair system.

In Europe they are generally using proportional representation. I haven't seen much on changing the system but rather cursing Trump for winning with less votes.

- - - Updated - - -

Or Dumb and Dumber?

The Marx brothers made millions making fun of themselves and each other. Flattery would have ruined their act. :)

What do you think makes a term a 'dated' term?
If this is offensive then clearly it would be the wrong word to use.
Well, geez, collectively identifying a group by their hair MAY be just a little offensive, if the person doesn't tend to think of themselves by their hair style, first. Especially if they're not actually sporting an afro...
Going out on a limb, maybe, i dunno... Your Own? I think i suggested that up thread somewhere...

But anyway, who suggested that it has left the American Language?
And does your dictionary help you understand the difference between questions and statements?

- - - Updated - - -

Common where?
Because around here, by which i mean between this desk and the garage, it raises some people's hackles.

Since I didn't get a clear answer, the Words African American and People of Colour should be used.
Is this a yes or no, or do I get another sermon and a free grammar check :)

Since I didn't get a clear answer, the Words African American and People of Colour should be used.
I'll just say you're wrong.
Maybe you can find a dictionary to help you figure out where you're wrong.

But i shouldn't forget to compliment you on your shielding. You're the one who was wrong, but somehow pointing out your error is a 'sermon.'

Common where?
I cannot tell if you are being serious or making a joke. But the prefix Afro came before the colloquial term "Afro" for the hairstyle.

I'll just say you're wrong.
Maybe you can find a dictionary to help you figure out where you're wrong.

But i shouldn't forget to compliment you on your shielding. You're the one who was wrong, but somehow pointing out your error is a 'sermon.'

I don't mind being wrong if an answer is right. All I get is a speech. I'm supposed to be the one whose verbally incontinent here. :)

I cannot tell if you are being serious or making a joke. But the prefix Afro came before the colloquial term "Afro" for the hairstyle.
But it's not in common use in the US exactly because it IS a colloquial term for the hairstyle.

I don't mind being wrong if an answer is right.
You seem to have a problem admitting that you are wrong, except in big, unspecific terms. A general admission you're wrong sometimes rather than admitting any single error.
All I get is a speech.
Aw, poor little butthurt. If I recall, you admitted that you weren't up to date on American terms, and I suggested you don't try to use them, use your own? Why do you want to find the right term that you also dismiss as merely political correctness?

You seem to have a problem admitting that you are wrong, except in big, unspecific terms. A general admission you're wrong sometimes rather than admitting any single error.
All I get is a speech.
Aw, poor little butthurt. If I recall, you admitted that you weren't up to date on American terms, and I suggested you don't try to use them, use your own? Why do you want to find the right term that you also dismiss as merely political correctness?

It could be a whole host of errors but you never mentioned the correct definition. I take the butthurt cream every day so it's not a problem :)

It could be a whole host of errors but you never mentioned the correct definition.
Holy motherfucking Xenu. Definition? My comment was about usage, not any claim that it was removed from the American language or that it didn't refer to black people then, now or a week from next year's Feast of St. Cuthbert.
ANY time you want to figure out what conversation you're having, you're quite welcome to join this one.

Back
Top Bottom