• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RussiaGate

Flynn must be cooperating. Gonna get interesting...
Flynn is to plead guilty. which definitely falls under the it is going to get 'interesting' category.
article said:
Former national security adviser Michael Flynn is to plead guilty Friday to making false statements to the FBI, becoming the fourth person charged in a wide-ranging investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller and his team of prosecutors.

Court documents show Flynn, an early and vocal supporter on the campaign trail of President Donald Trump, will admit to lying to the FBI about his conversations during the transition period with Russia's ambassador to the United States.
At what point does Trump start firing Deputy Attorneys General?

Time for a betting pool?

Probably when an indictment refers to crimes committed by Trump.

I think we'll know how much Flynn has spilled the beans by the severity of the sentence he receives. I assume sentencing will come at a later date.

I think we'll know how much Flynn has spilled the beans by the severity of the sentence he receives. I assume sentencing will come at a later date.

Ya, it does seem like a rather minor charge. I assume that it's been given in exchange for cooperation and information.

That the serial liar only gets one charge of lying is very telling. How many federal disclosure forms did he forget to mention his foreign efforts on? It is also interesting that he still has to get the charge to plead to, as Mueller won't let him walk.

Ya, it does seem like a rather minor charge. I assume that it's been given in exchange for cooperation and information.

Charges can be added if it turns out that he's giving unreliable information.

Also, some are saying Mueller is deliberately undercharging in case Trump starts pardoning people. Then they can be charged at the state level.

Well, the White House is relieved!

CNN said:
One person familiar with the mood in the West Wing insists top White House officials are actually breathing a sigh of relief today.
Apparently with this all behind them, they can move on now.

We are supposed to believe that? Everyone in the White House is lawyer'd up because of Flynn?

Not quite so minor. Maximum penalty is five years.

- - - Updated - - -

He was just a volunteer member of the national security council.

He just served the covfefe, er, coffee.

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn pleaded guilty Friday to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, and authorities indicated in court he was acting under instructions from senior Trump transition officials in his dealings with the diplomat. Flynn’s admission to the charge Friday in federal district court in D.C. is an ominous sign for the White House, as court documents indicate Flynn is cooperating in the ongoing probe of possible coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin to influence the 2016 election, and that he was operating with direction from above when it came to his own dealings with Russians.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/12/michael-flynn-pleads-guilty-what-comes-next/

The really interesting issue here is that Flynn bothered to lie at all about these contacts with Kislyak. And the $64,000 question is, why did he lie? It seems unlikely that he was worried about the Logan Act, which bars private citizens from engaging in international diplomacy.

One possibility is that Flynn lied because he was trying to hide a longer course of contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia. An earlier guilty plea elicited by the Mueller team showed that Russia was trying to make contact with the campaign. The more contacts Mueller can show, the closer he is to a narrative that shows conspiratorial cooperation between Russia and Trump.

Flynn’s specific plea makes it harder for Trump to fire Mueller or pardon Flynn. The more Russia information emerges, the more any act of firing or pardon would look like obstruction of justice by the president. For now, Mueller’s investigation seems very likely to continue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-12-01/how-the-flynn-charges-box-in-trump

Genuine question from a guy that doesn't know anything about law:

- Could Trump feasibly end up in jail? If he's implicated in something, what would the likely outcome be?

ABC's Brian Ross reports: Michael Flynn promised "full cooperation to the Mueller team" and is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians."
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...p_trump_family_people_in_the_white_house.html

I am seeing some secondary news sites reference an ABC report that says Flynn will testify against Trump. Did he actually say that? Can't watch video atm...
That means nothing! It could have been about ordering dinner. Never happened. Flynn is a liar. He admitted to it!

Back
Top Bottom