• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine - tactics and logistics

The lack of mention doesn't prove they aren't being used-
Russian news reported the use of switchblade... against a tank.
Unfortunately, no link to a source again, but that is to be expected with barbos. If someone has the energy and desire to search Russian media, a suitable link can probably be found. Eventually, Russia will capture one of these drones carrying a warhead that fails to detonate, if they haven't already. These drones are cheap and easy to produce, so maybe Russia will develop their own versions. In a sense, this war could be labeled "The Attack of the Drones". Drone warfare has become a major battleground tactic.
Russia is already not being able to build weapons because of the sanctions keeping them from getting chips.

When Putin's second invasion of Ukraine started in February, Finland and Sweden were still a long shot for ever becoming NATO members. Barbos ridiculed the idea that either country would join, and Putin made all sorts of threatening noises. Now, both countries will apply to join at the same time in the middle of May. So much for Putin's bullying tactics.

Live updates | Report: Sweden, Finland to apply to NATO

Three NATO warships have just docked in Finland. Jayjay will likely have more to say about this breaking news.

NATO Warships Arrive at Finnish Port for Training Exercises

Seems to be a standard anti-mining exercise that's been planned for a year in advance. These are not unique and similar exercises have been happening in previous years at least since 2018.

I meant the question to apply to the news that Finland intends to apply for NATO membership. Finland and Sweden have both been participating in NATO exercises for years, but not as full members. So the three warships were not surprising, but they do come at a time of heightened tensions and will be interpreted by everyone as a message being sent to Putin, especially after he tried to bully Finland into not joining by allegedly sending more armored vehicles to the border. I understand that Finland felt so scared that they hastily arranged for a convoy of tractors to reinforce their side of the border. :)

Ukraine’s top security officials have denied that Kyiv was behind an earlier airstrike on an oil depot in the Russian city of Belgorod, about 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the border.

Sounds like a stretch, but given how Russian ships sink themselves and Russian tanks are abandoned or blow themselves up, maybe Russian oil depots bomb themselves, too.
There is a report out there of another oil fire 100 miles outside Ukraine toward Moscow. Diesel fuel and oil are burning. I'm sure Ukrainians are behind this. Those Ukrainian Nazis are trying to commit suicide again.

Ukraine’s top security officials have denied that Kyiv was behind an earlier airstrike on an oil depot in the Russian city of Belgorod, about 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the border.

Sounds like a stretch, but given how Russian ships sink themselves and Russian tanks are abandoned or blow themselves up, maybe Russian oil depots bomb themselves, too.
There is a report out there of another oil fire 100 miles outside Ukraine toward Moscow. Diesel fuel and oil are burning. I'm sure Ukrainians are behind this. Those Ukrainian Nazis are trying to commit suicide again.
Do you think it might be russian soldiers who do not want to fight doing sabotage?
Genuine question, maybe that’s far out, but your posts made me wonder.

In any case, you people need to update your debate manuals. Russian forces changed their tactics long time ago. Crimea style Blitzkrieg clearly did not work and current tactics is to cause maximum damage to the enemy at minimum cost. Time is not an issue. Putin cancelled direct assault of AzovSteel catacombs and ordered just waiting these people out.

I admit Crimea style Blitzkrieg was a long shot which did not work.
IOW, you admit your military sucks? They can’t win in Ukraine. Maybe they shouldn’t have done this. Your soldiers are cowards too. Except the ones who’ve fragged their officers.

Do you think it might be russian soldiers who do not want to fight doing sabotage?
There's not really a bright line between Russian and Ukrainian; Many people living near the border have recent ancestors, and hence close relatives, on both sides of the border, and Soviet era policies designed explicitly to blend the two nations to the point that Ukraine would simply become a part of Russia have exacerbated this.

The upshot is that there are probably plenty of people living in Russia, particularly in towns close to the border with Ukraine, who have reasons to support Ukraine (and equally, there are plenty of Ukrainian residents who side with Russia).

Some of these people will end up serving in the armed forces of the side they don't identify with, and others will be given access to military bases as local suppliers, or maybe don't have official access, but have a cousin who is a base guard, who will let them in.

In such a scenario, it would be surprising if there weren't saboteurs on both sides. And the likelihood of sabotage increases when your side is on the back foot - it's easier to pluck up the courage to set fire to a fuel depot if you expect the owners of that depot to lose the war, or even just if they are distracted by their other problems, and so in less of a position to conduct a thorough investigation.

Certainly there are plenty of Russian sympathisers, and indeed of people who think of themselves as entirely Russian, living in Ukraine - and not just in Crimea and the Donbas. It would be rather surprising if there weren't also at least some people in Russia who the authorities think of as Russian but who think of themselves as Ukrainian.

Sabotage should be expected on both sides (as should espionage); And history suggests that one of the most effective ways to reduce the impact of these things is to be militarily successful. People are much more keen to risk their necks for the side that they think is winning.

That is a genuine possibility. Good call. And there is plenty of activity otherwise in areas outside Ukraine to support the suggestion.

Russian explosions point to Ukraine's embrace of the British special forces model

With Russia forced to scale back its goals in the conflict, Ukraine has escalated its offensive operations in what's known as the "deep battlespace." This involves targeting of Russian logistics and command and control units deeper behind the front lines. Employing Western-provided drones and highly mobile small units, Ukraine is degrading and demoralizing Russia's war machine.

It's not a wild leap to expect that Ukraine is now applying these same tactics over the border inside Russia. This is likely a result of British training of the Ukrainian military.

Just thought to throw this out there. Seems quite possible, maybe even most likely.

A country that doesn't want Nato at its borders shouldn't move its border closer to Nato. I presume at some point Russia will pack up and leave after his plan succeeds to "demilitarise and de-Nazify Ukraine". Does he plan to do the western thing and install Russia-controlled leadership? Does he plan to do the western thing & liberate Ukraine just to leave them meandering around destroyed cities and infrastructure? Does he plan on using a neuralyzer on Ukrainians to make it all go away?

What an Idiot.

So apparently Russia has used an estimated 70% of its precision guided missiles In their inventory. That’s insane. They have seriously weakened their ability to deal with any other potential threats. The U.S. has depleted about a third of its javelins. But we have no serious other armored threat to us. We can easily deplete them significantly if they are put to good effect destroying Russian armor.

This war is a battle of supply. That’s why they hit rail stations yesterday. But they can’t sustain such hits.

So apparently Russia has used an estimated 70% of its precision guided missiles In their inventory. That’s insane. They have seriously weakened their ability to deal with any other potential threats. The U.S. has depleted about a third of its javelins. But we have no serious other armored threat to us. We can easily deplete them significantly if they are put to good effect destroying Russian armor.

This war is a battle of supply. That’s why they hit rail stations yesterday. But they can’t sustain such hits.
Agree. I'm a little worried about our supply chain affecting Javelins. I'm hearing that it could take us 3 years to replenish. But clearly, Russia has been planning to invade for Ukraine. Hard to understand their lack of planning. Yes, it's a battle of supply and logistics. The side that delivers the most bombs will probably win. Sadly, I think that there is no chance of negotiation with Russia. Even if Russia wanted to talk, how could they be trusted?

clearly, Russia has been planning to invade for Ukraine. Hard to understand their lack of planning.
Clearly, they did plan. For a four-day cakewalk into Kyiv, where those too timid to resist would pretend to welcome their liberators.

clearly, Russia has been planning to invade for Ukraine. Hard to understand their lack of planning.
Clearly, they did plan. For a four-day cakewalk into Kyiv, where those too timid to resist would pretend to welcome their liberators.
Yep, agree with you and Gospel above. Ultimately, Putin is an idiot who doesn't understand basic human nature. You can't rely on unmotivated low paid conscripted soldiers to win battles. And you are an idiot if you bomb houses and then expect the populace to bow down to you. And you just don't understand human nature if you think that threatening and bullying countries will keep them from joining up with your enemies in order to stand up to you. Putin dug his grave good.

Italians know something you don't know it seems.
My Italian is pretty rusty but I think the guy called Azov nazi and shit.

Similar videos from all over the Europe. Czech truckers fighting with ukrainians with their flags blocking traffic. Could be be merely nuisance issues of course but it looks bad. Mass burning of cars with ukrainian licence plates in Germany (though, not confirmed yet )
And then that utterly hilarious exchange between Bulgarian and Ukrainian trucker somewhere in Europe. You need to speak russian at native level to appreciate it.
They spoke on such a mixture of russian bulgarian and ukrainian that was amazing.

This is not going well for ukrainian propaganda.

Last edited:
Yep, agree with you and Gospel above. Ultimately, Putin is an idiot who doesn't understand basic human nature. You can't rely on unmotivated low paid conscripted soldiers to win battles. And you are an idiot if you bomb houses and then expect the populace to bow down to you. And you just don't understand human nature if you think that threatening and bullying countries will keep them from joining up with your enemies in order to stand up to you. Putin dug his grave good.
Ultimately the Russian Pig is afraid of the openness that is western democratic behavior. He doesn't want to face the noose and probably won't in his lifetime but Russia is pretty fucked long term, and China isn't far off either.

Why exactly are you trusting anything from Russian news media? It's the mouthpiece of Putin.

You baffle me Barbos. It's like you're the world's worst KGB agent.

A country that doesn't want Nato at its borders shouldn't move its border closer to Nato
LOL, are you John Kirby? He had such an ironic exchange with Matt Lee about it.
It's really pretty simple. The reason why Finland and Sweden are trying to join NATO is that they don't want Russian's bombing their homes and killing their people. The west offers trade, tourism, acceptance and peace. Russia offers threats, bombs, intimidation and death. Which do you think they prefer?

Why exactly are you trusting anything from Russian news media? It's the mouthpiece of Putin.

You baffle me Barbos. It's like you're the world's worst KGB agent.
I honestly don't think that he's an agent or someone under duress forced into obedience. He's in a cult. It reminds me of my mother who believes that an alien space ship orbiting mars is forcing democrats into hosting sex parties with kids. My mom at least has alternate sources of news that she could rely on if she had the sense.

Back
Top Bottom