• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split SAT scores as a measure of your potential and college worthiness

To notify a split thread.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
Of course if Butler had attended Harvard, Derek would have claimed that she was admitted only because of affirmative action, not because of her accomplishments.
Are you denying that Harvard has had major issues with racial preferences in admissions?

000701_1333312.png
Of course if Butler had attended Harvard, Derek would have claimed that she was admitted only because of affirmative action, not because of her accomplishments.
Are you denying that Harvard has had major issues with racial preferences in admissions?

000701_1333312.png
No, I’m responding to the very frequent accusation/supposition that someone was only admitted or hired in order to fill some non-existent quota. It’s right up there with the insistence that composite SAT scores are indicative or even good predictors of who will be more successful academically, even when the difference in scores is very small.

No, I’m responding to the very frequent accusation/supposition that someone was only admitted or hired in order to fill some non-existent quota.
In the case of LB's appointment to Senate, Gavin Newsom most certainly appointed her based on a quota. He said so himself.
As far as college admissions, while outright quotas have not been allowed, other modalities for enforcing racial preferences have been. Hell, SCOTUS left a huge loophole for racial preferences even now!
It’s right up there with the insistence that composite SAT scores are indicative or even good predictors of who will be more successful academically, even when the difference in scores is very small.
As the chart shows, those differences are far from being "very small".
Unlike high school GPAs SATs are standardized in that every student takes the same test. High school GPAs vary widely between different schools. Which is why it is stupid for colleges to get rid of SATs. Same goes for colleges too. Huge differences in curricula and grading standards. A 3.8 from Bumfuck State University is very different than a 3.8 from Emory or Georgia Tech.

P.S.: I know I made a great post, but you did not have to quote it twice.

No, I’m responding to the very frequent accusation/supposition that someone was only admitted or hired in order to fill some non-existent quota.
In the case of LB's appointment to Senate, Gavin Newsom most certainly appointed her based on a quota. He said so himself.
As far as college admissions, while outright quotas have not been allowed, other modalities for enforcing racial preferences have been. Hell, SCOTUS left a huge loophole for racial preferences even now!
It’s right up there with the insistence that composite SAT scores are indicative or even good predictors of who will be more successful academically, even when the difference in scores is very small.
Unlike high school GPAs SATs are standardized in that every student takes the same test. High school GPAs vary widely between different schools. Which is why it is stupid for colleges to get rid of SATs. Same goes for colleges too. Huge differences in curricula and grading standards. A 3.8 from Bumfuck State University is very different than a 3.8 from Emory or Georgia Tech.

My phone screwed up. I didn’t fix it.

SAT’s have been shown to be more predictive of parents’ socioeconomic and/or educational attainment status than the academic talent of the test taker.

GWB scored a 1206 and so clearly, he is off the charts.
GWB is a has been, and nobody would ever describe him as "brilliant".

The obvious inference is that brilliance is not a requirement to become either a politician or attend the highest ranked universities in the country, but here you are demanding this requirement for someone who most likely is already very intelligent and hard-working. One must wonder why you are going on and on about this individual but refuse to apply the same standard and focus on other individuals who apparently never met such requirement of brilliance.

Why are you talking about him?

George W Bush is a good example of privilege.

What did the allegedly "brilliant" LB score?

That information does not appear to be public. However, we could probably reverse engineer some minimum estimates based on correlation and known information about requirements. For example, the minimum requirements for admission into the WEB DuBois Honors College at JSU is a 26 ACT score. This is the minimum. That minimum ACT score is equivalent to a 1240 to 1270 on the old-style SATs out of 1600. In other words, George W Bush would not have been able to get into the program. Now we cannot say for certain how much above 26 she had scored. Was it 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, or 36? We could say she would have gotten a 1420 +/- 180 on the old-style SAT, but it is not very satisfying to not know more precision and the higher the number, probably the more rare it is. We also do not even know if she took the SAT, rather than the ACT and so it is speculating.

Really? How different is a student who scored a 750 vs a student who scored a 775? Not very. How much does it matter the day after a student is offered and accepts a spot at a school. Not at all. Not even a teeny tiny bit.

SATs are pure bullshit imo. Some people aren't good at taking standardized tests, while others are very good at it. And, as I think Toni has mentioned, parents with money often spend a lot to have their children tutored in how to improve their scores as well as taking the tests several times. One of the reasons I feel this way is because my son, who graduated with honors with a degree in computer science, and then went on to have a very successful, enjoyable career as a programmer/developer for the past 25 or so years, had incredibly low SAT scores. That kept him out of his first choice of colleges, despite already having a 2 year degree in computer science technology with excellent grades, along with some work experience in that field, but it didn't hold him back from accomplishing his career goals. He taught himself how to program using machine language as a teenager, despite not getting great grades in high school, so he obviously had talent in that area. He sure didn't get it from me, but to this day, he loves what he does. My scores weren't that great, but they were better than all of my straight A friends in high school and I never prepared for my SATs and I only took them once, unlike many of my smarter friends. I didn't care because I wan't trying to get into some highly competitive school.

My nursing board scores were very high, which was another type of standardized test. Nursing boards are now pass/fail, which is probably a good thing. My school trained us in how to take the nursing boards, by making all of our tests in the same format as the boards, and that probably helped most of us score high on the boards. Standardized test results, imo, should never be used as a way to judge one's potential success at college or in life. I'm happy to see so many schools do away with them. I'd rather have an applicant write an essay. Good writing skills are important in most professions. I'm not interested in arguing about it. I simply disagree with anyone who seems to think these tests are a measure of one's intelligence or ability to do well in college. And, I think it's even crazier to use them to judge someone who has been successful in their political career.

How did we get so off topic? :oops:

SATs are pure bullshit imo. Some people aren't good at taking standardized tests, while others are very good at it. And, as I think Toni has mentioned, parents with money often spend a lot to have their children tutored in how to improve their scores as well as taking the tests several times. One of the reasons I feel this way is because my son, who graduated with honors with a degree in computer science, and then went on to have a very successful, enjoyable career as a programmer/developer for the past 25 or so years, had incredibly low SAT scores. That kept him out of his first choice of colleges, despite already having a 2 year degree in computer science technology with excellent grades, along with some work experience in that field, but it didn't hold him back from accomplishing his career goals. He taught himself how to program using machine language as a teenager, despite not getting great grades in high school, so he obviously had talent in that area. He sure didn't get it from me, but to this day, he loves what he does. My scores weren't that great, but they were better than all of my straight A friends in high school and I never prepared for my SATs and I only took them once, unlike many of my smarter friends. I didn't care because I wan't trying to get into some highly competitive school.

My nursing board scores were very high, which was another type of standardized test. Nursing boards are now pass/fail, which is probably a good thing. My school trained us in how to take the nursing boards, by making all of our tests in the same format as the boards, and that probably helped most of us score high on the boards. Standardized test results, imo, should never be used as a way to judge one's potential success at college or in life. I'm happy to see so many schools do away with them. I'd rather have an applicant write an essay. Good writing skills are important in most professions. I'm not interested in arguing about it. I simply disagree with anyone who seems to think these tests are a measure of one's intelligence or ability to do well in college. And, I think it's even crazier to use them to judge someone who has been successful in their political career.

This is all just ancedotal about you and your son regarding SAT scores and grades. No doubt there are many stories like this. But is this a solid trend over millions of test takers over decades? I sorta doubt it. I suspect its on the rare side.

For lots of careers having the highest grades and SAT scores don't matter that much, including politicians. Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important. As well as having good social skills and being able to put up with other people's bullshit :) (which are my shortcomings). For me personally, when it comes to matters of life and death, doctors and nurses are a different story. I would be lying if I said it didn't matter to me whether the surgeon and his/her team operating on my brain had among the highest scores in academia or the lowest passing grades.

This is all just ancedotal about you and your son regarding SAT scores and grades. No doubt there are many stories like this. But is this a solid trend over millions of test takers over decades? I sorta doubt it. I suspect its on the rare side.

For lots of careers having the highest grades and SAT scores don't matter that much, including politicians. Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important. As well as having good social skills and being able to put up with other people's bullshit :) (which are my shortcomings). For me personally, when it comes to matters of life and death, doctors and nurses are a different story. I would be lying if I said it didn't matter to me whether the surgeon and his/her team operating on my brain had among the highest scores in academia or the lowest passing grades.
The SAT does not include any questions about medical science. Why should I care how good my surgeon was at memorizing random trivia about Math and English when they were 17? A solid fourth of American doctors are foreign born and never had to take SAT at all. I care more about their professional qualifications as an adult than how good they were at gaming their way through standardized exams as a child.

The SAT does not include any questions about medical science. Why should I care how good my surgeon was at memorizing random trivia about Math and English when they were 17? A solid fourth of American doctors are foreign born and never had to take SAT at all. I care more about their professional qualifications as an adult than how good they were at gaming their way through standardized exams as a child.
I never said the SAT does include questions about medical science. You misinterpreted what I wrote. I said I DO care about their scores in academia, meaning college and medical school which is where you learn about brains and such. I probably wasn't super clear about academia referring mostly to college (pre-med) and medical school, but it should have been obvious in the context. I am assuming there is generally a strong correlation between high SAT scores and high achievement in medical school, but its obviously not always going to be the case.

Like it or not, we do need some objective way to screen candidates for colleges that will prepare them for highly skilled occupations, like (in my example) brain surgery. The SATs and/or high school grades may not be perfect, but don't we often say here, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough" (or something like that). I don't know what the screening process is for foreign candidates who haven't taken the SAT, but there must be some sort of objective measure of their capabilities, right? I would be interested to know.

Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important.

2 out of 5 ain’t too bad right?
Uh huh, I am distinctly NOT responsible, driven or organized. But people like me and I can think (if not act) logically.
The people I know who are responsible, driven and organized are either quite unhappy seeming, or tend to compartmentalize those attributes, and make plenty of time for cutting loose. I admire those in the latter category, but alas - I will never measure up to that.
You seem pretty responsible and driven, at least when it comes to your pets. You're obviously smart and have a good sense of humor, so what else does one need.

I've known plenty of MDs who were not very smart, lacked critical thinking skills and were in the low end when it came to emotional intelligence, which to me is vitally important to be a really competent health professional.

Sure, my examples are anecdotal but I've found it to be true about standardized tests in general and I have never seen any clear evidence that one's SAT scores equate with success. College is more about being motivated, having goals and being willing to study and learn.

Ya need some more anecdotes? ;) My husband had high SAT scores and was accepted to a competitive school in Florida, where he partied too much and flunked out the first semester. He had no goals, career wise, and was being pushed to study medicine or dentistry by his family, which he had no interest in. He worked for a year or two and then went to the U of Miami, where he studied what he loved....engineering. He graduated with good grades and enjoyed a long career in engineering and sometimes IT, as companies pulled their plants offshore. I bullshitted my way through three years of liberal arts before finally deciding I needed a career that would allow me to be independent. Nursing was the most difficult thing I ever studied, but it gave me the knowledge and license to get a job whenever I wanted and to experience a stressful but interesting career for decades. Again, what do SAT scores have to do with anyone's success? I don't think I ever needed SAT scores to be accepted in a nursing program, which was very competitive at the time.

You mentioned surgeons? They are basically highly skilled technicians, if they are good at what they do. It helps if they have a lot of emotional intelligence as that helps keep their patients comfortable and trusting. Again, what do SAT scored have to do with being a highly skilled technician or being able to interact with people in a mature, compassionate way?

Unfortunately, some of them aren't very good at what they do, so their patients sometimes end up with severe deep, open, draining wounds, left for nurses to clean up and help heal. Been there, done that! I imagine that most of the bad ones also had pretty good SAT scores, but what does that have to do with their skills as surgeons....nothing. It's a talent as well as a learned skill.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who has decided that SATs are just an expensive money making scheme that allow the, wealthier members of society to prepare their offspring to score higher on them. Maybe that's not exactly how the schools see it, but since so many no longer require them as part of the admission process, they must have come to realize that they don't predict success, and there are many other things to base admissions on, including even work and life experience. Perhaps most young people need to take a gap year or two before they start college. There are plenty of ways of assessing if one is ready to be successful in college. I just don't think that SAT scores are necessary or predictive in most cases.

Things like being responsible, driven, organized, personable and logical are likely more important. As well as having good social skills and being able to put up with other people's bullshit
Meh. As a young man, I was irresponsible, lazy, disorganised, socially inept, and logical. My social skills were nonexistent, and I still today won't put up with other people's bullshit.

My exam results at 16 were exemplary, but two years later my A level grades were mediocre, and a year after that I dropped out of my degree and entered the workforce with zero experience and few qualifications. In the middle of a deep economic depression.

According to received wisdom, failure to obtain a degree was a complete disaster, and poor grades a recipe for a hard life working in dirty and unpleasant environments for shit wages; But it turns out that this is really only the case if your poor grades actually reflect your low intelligence.

In the real world, outside schools and universities, ability matters, and grades or degrees increasingly don't. Not having a degree makes things hard for the first decade or so, but by the time you're in your thirties, nobody much cares what bits of paper you acquired in your teens and early twenties - they care about what you are capable of right now, as demonstrated by what you've done in the last few years.

The myth that academic achievement is of central importance to your entire future life needs taking down several pegs. It causes needless suffering for teenagers, and while it can certainly make your first decade in the workforce slightly easier, it really isn't as big a deal as most people imagine it to be.

A lot of the emphasis on academic achievement as a vital component in a successful life is pure confirmation bias - most people who are successful in life were also successful in school, but in my experience, that correlation doesn't imply anything like as much causation as most people believe.

I'm happy, and financially secure. I could have made my dad and my teachers more proud of my achievements had I worked harder to fit into their expectations. Maybe I would be wealthier; Maybe not. Certainly I wouldn't have been any happier today. But I would have been far less miserable at twenty years of age if I hadn't been surrounded by people telling me (incorrectly, as it turned out) that my poor academic record would destroy my entire future.

I never said the SAT does include questions about medical science. You misinterpreted what I wrote. I said I DO care about their scores in academia, meaning college and medical school which is where you learn about brains and such. I probably wasn't super clear about academia referring mostly to college (pre-med) and medical school, but it should have been obvious in the context. I am assuming there is generally a strong correlation between high SAT scores and high achievement in medical school, but its obviously not always going to be the case.
I understand that you didn't think about whether there was any logical connection between the SAT and one's experience in medicine. I just think you should have. The content of the exam has nothing to do with med school at all.

Like it or not, we do need some objective way to screen candidates for colleges that will prepare them for highly skilled occupations, like (in my example) brain surgery.
That would be nice. If there was one. But your SAT scores have nothing whatsoever to do with whether you are a good surgeon or not. There's nothing objective about it.

The SATs and/or high school grades may not be perfect, but don't we often say here, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough" (or something like that).
So you're worried about letting the "perfect be the enemy of the good", but imagining that a pimply teenager who gets 1455 on the SAT and thus is in consideration for Johns Hopkins is a fundamentally more capable person who scores 1445 on the SAT and thus has their application scrapped? Because they got one question "wrong" about the most important plot element in an excerpt from Tom Saywer, you wouldn't trust them to transplant your kidney?

Another "objective" requirement to get into Johns Hopkins is GPA. If "perfect is the enemy of the good", does it make sense to say that a person who got a B in their theater class in junior year, then a B in PE in their senior year, thus letting their GPA drop below the school's 3.92 minimum standard is not only a fundamentally worse person, but also one that you believe could not possibly become a skilled pulmonologist later in life? Because another kid was willing to give their theater teacher a blow job to get that A, but she refused, you would refuse to let her do surgery on you?

"Objective" measures of quality, especially when taken to the nitpicking extremes that the major schools are now (thankfully) walking back a bit but once enforced rigidly, are a fat load of nonsense to any thinking person. If my doctor is, by all appearances, a highly skilled otorhinolaryngologist, an attentive physician who shows diligence and empathy on the job and who has saved hundreds of lives, I do not give a flying shit whether they got an A in their freshman Automotive Shop class, or even whether they remembered the quadratic formula the day they took their SAT. That sort of tangential nonsense is not a truly "objective" measure of anything that remotely matters.

This thread about Diane Feinstein's mental condition has taken some interesting twists and turns.

Yes...the layers of derail are like the movie Inception. So, let me bring you all out, back two layers, no not the full ride back, just two.

We're talking about SATs and even intelligence as if they are the requirements that people seek when choosing a politician...and we're doing that for some odd reason when we talk about a Black woman. Even though it has been demonstrated that she is intelligent and hard-working. Even though we can see many politicians, like George W Bush, who were not chosen because they were bright bulbs.

In fact, lest we forget a big no-no is being intellectual. Remember what happened to Gore. Think about stereotypes of Democrat elitists and the anti-intellectualist movement. George W Bush -- "yeah, he's great. I'd love to shoot the shit with him over a beer or three."

When we talk about medical doctors, conservatives don't say, "yeah, I'd love to party hard with my brain surgeon. He's a party animal, a recovering coke addict, who mismanaged businesses, and a real prankster. America. Fuck Yeah!"

Yet here we are in some surreal moment of fictitious standards not being used, saying they are not being met, but they are actually met, but they don't even apply.

My phone screwed up. I didn’t fix it.

SAT’s have been shown to be more predictive of parents’ socioeconomic and/or educational attainment status than the academic talent of the test taker.
But SATs are better than anything else being used in place of them. Everything else is easier to game and ends up even more related to socioeconomic status.

And there's nothing wrong with SATs being correlated with parental educational levels--the children of good students are more likely to be good students.

Really? How different is a student who scored a 750 vs a student who scored a 775? Not very. How much does it matter the day after a student is offered and accepts a spot at a school. Not at all. Not even a teeny tiny bit.
Actually, I think there's some value to the 775 over the 750. If you were only looking at what the SAT covers I would say it's basically moot--just like credit scores above 740 are basically moot.

However, knowledge is diverse. It's not a one-dimensional thing where the SAT would be measuring along a line. Rather, knowledge is a multi-dimensional blob with appreciable irregularities to it. A theoretically perfect SAT would be measuring the intersection of that blob with a perfect sphere. In practice it's impossible to make a perfect test, it's likewise going to be something of a blob, although more even than people's knowledge. In order for the knowledge blob to completely cover the test blob the knowledge blob must be appreciably bigger. That's what those last points on the SAT are actually measuring--how much beyond the SAT do you know? An 800 means your weakest areas are at least at SAT test level.

Random trivia? It's been a long time since I took the SAT but I do not recall it being random trivia. The English part of it is a test of vocabulary and comprehension--something a doctor needs plenty of both. There's no fancy math on the SAT and in some cases doctors need to be able to handle math well. Most drugs have quite a bit of leeway to them and are close to one-size-fits-all in adults, but not all. Some are start on the low dose, raise to the desired effect. However, some are more finicky--doses must be calculated for the patient. (This is much more common in pediatrics.) A doc who can't do that shouldn't be a doc. Even when the computer does the calculations for you the doc needs to have enough of a sense of it to recognize a bad answer.

A salutatorian in one school may not crack top 10% in another.
I find that highly doubtful but if you have an example I'm willing to look at it.
Quite possible with an inner city school. A decent student can end up at the top of the pack while they would be simply average in a good school.

Back
Top Bottom