• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's Deterioration

Elder abuse? Naw.

My mother considers her right to vote one of the treasures she holds most dear.

Each year I take her absentee ballot to the nursing home, read it to her, tell her what’s in the news about each candidate, listen to her indications of her wishes, and then help her remember her indications as she manages the pencil.

It means the absolute WORLD to her.

It’s clear DiFi takes her responsibilities as senator to be her treasure. And her aides are helping her manage that.

I'd find that argument convincing if she was articulate and aware of her surroundings. But she doesn't seem to be.

Compare Nancy Pelosi (83), Steny Hoyer (83), James Clyburn (82), Joe Biden (80), and Mitch McConnell (81). They all seem at least somewhat articulate in press conferences in recent years. Can anyone point to anything similar from DiFi in recent years?

RealClearPolitics - 2024 - Senate Election Polls
[https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/senate/ca/california_senate_open_primary-8081.html RealClearPolitics - Election 2024 - California Senate - Open Primary]

Past Results: 2018 Feinstein (D) +9.0 | 2012: Feinstein (D) +25.0

Poll by the LA Times over 5/17 - 5/22 of 5236 likely voters:

Early (R) - 18%
Porter (D) - 17%
Schiff (D) - 14%
Lee (D) - 9%

Electoral history of Dianne Feinstein

She ran for San Francisco Mayor, placing third in nonpartisan primaries in 1971 and 1975, and winning in 1979 and 1983.

Numbers are all percentages of the total vote.

In 1990, she ran for CA Governor, winning the primary by 56.3 - 41.0, but losing the general election to Republican Pete Wilson by 45.8 - 49.3

She first ran for US Senate in the special election of 1992, winning the D primary by 57.7 - 32.8, and the general election by 54.3 - 38.0 beating the Republican incumbent.

1994: D primary: 74.2 - 13.5 - 12.3, general election: 46.7 - (R) 44.8

2000: D primary: 95.5 - 4.5, general election: 55.8 - (R) 36.6

2006: D primary: 87.0 - 8.0 - 5.0, general election: 59.4 - (R) 35.0

2012: nonpartisan primary: 49.3 - (R) 12.6, general election: 62.5 - (R) 37.5

2018: nonpartisan primary: 44.2 - (Kevin de León D) 12.1, general election: 54.2 - (Kevin de León D) 45.8

KdL then moved on to the Los Angeles City Council.

Rep. Ro Khanna Says Sen. Dianne Feinstein Should “Step Down with Dignity” | Democracy Now!

Host Amy Goodman:
California Congressmember, you and some of your colleagues, including New York Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, have called on Feinstein to retire immediately. Now, in April, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said calls for Feinstein to resign are sexist. This is what she said.
noting Nancy Palosi:
It’s interesting to me. I don’t know what political agendas are at work that are going after Senator Feinstein in that way. I’ve never seen them go after a man who was sick in the Senate in that way.
Ro Khanna:
It’s a very sad situation. And the reality is that she’s not able to do the job. In fact, just yesterday in my district, someone was talking about vacancies in the San Jose District Court, and could I contact my senator to discuss that. And I contacted Alex Padilla, because the reality is, no one can get in touch with her, that I know of. She just has a staff that’s running everything. And it’s a very, very sad situation. And she should step down with dignity.

Now, The New York Times has a long editorial where they actually refute Speaker Pelosi’s statement, and they say this has nothing to do with sexism or ageism; this is simply the view that people should be able to do the basics of the job. And that is, again, respecting the voters.

Elder abuse? Naw.

My mother considers her right to vote one of the treasures she holds most dear.

Each year I take her absentee ballot to the nursing home, read it to her, tell her what’s in the news about each candidate, listen to her indications of her wishes, and then help her remember her indications as she manages the pencil.

I'd find that argument convincing if she was articulate and aware of her surroundings. But she doesn't seem to be.

You said it was “elder abuse”. I think you are wrong and over-dramatizing it.
My mother is neither articulate nor particularly aware nof her surroundings. Far less than DiFi. But it is not “elder abuse” for me to bring her the treasured ballot and for her to express through nods and grunts who she wants me to mark it for. She doesn’t know what day it is, nor even what year it is, and she will not remember past our ballot filling out who any of the people are that I named. But she knows in that moment is certainty that she DOES support the library, and that she opposes Republicans as she has done all her life. I am just saying that calling it “elder abuse” is false hyperbole.

I felt Helms and Thurmond and Byrd overstayed their terms in the Senate. Pelosi was clearly running the show despite her age. Feinstein hasn't seemed to be remotely as sharp as Pelosi.

Pelosi is being Pelosi, but clearly, Feinstein's inability to be counted on for votes with this bare of majority and on a committee is bad for the Democrats.

Sen. Robert Byrd Keeps Rolling : NPR - April 17, 20088:00 AM ET
West Virginia's Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd is 90 years old. He's in a wheelchair after a recent fall. And he has two words for people who wonder whether he's still up to his duties as Appropriations chair: "Shut up."
A bit more articulate than DiFi seems to be.

Despite Fragile Health, Byrd Is Present for Votes - The New York Times - Dec. 23, 2009
In what has become a poignant ritual during a fractious debate, Senator Robert C. Byrd, the 92-year-old Democrat from West Virginia, was pushed onto the Senate floor in his plaid wheelchair Wednesday afternoon. It was his third appearance of the week, each prompted by a vital vote.

Rhea, your mother is not a US Senator though.
This is true—BUT: Mitch MCConnell is reportedly very ill. No one questions his fitness to continue in office or his mental acuity. A lot of people did/do question Trump’s mental capacity, separately from
character issues with regards to his fitness for office, but there was never any serious effort to remove him nor even tiny whispers from within his party or his cabinet or staff that maybe he wasn’t all there as much as one should be to be POTUS.

Certainly Feinstein has been ill. Shingles can be very debilitating but as far as I know, shingles does not impair one’s mental acuity. Certainly I’ve known individuals a decade older than Feinstein who are extremely sharp, if not necessarily physically spry.

I find it telling that there are calls for her resignation but there have been no ( credible) calls for a male politician to step down.

This is true—BUT: Mitch MCConnell is reportedly very ill. No one questions his fitness to continue in office or his mental acuity. A lot of people did/do question Trump’s mental capacity, separately from
character issues with regards to his fitness for office, but there was never any serious effort to remove him nor even tiny whispers from within his party or his cabinet or staff that maybe he wasn’t all there as much as one should be to be POTUS.

Certainly Feinstein has been ill. Shingles can be very debilitating but as far as I know, shingles does not impair one’s mental acuity. Certainly I’ve known individuals a decade older than Feinstein who are extremely sharp, if not necessarily physically spry.

I find it telling that there are calls for her resignation but there have been no ( credible) calls for a male politician to step down.
I like Difi. She has done a decent job representing California. But she is out of it, and should step down. She didn't even think she left DC, and she was gone for months on medical leave!

As far as men in more recent times, Fetterman has had calls to step down numerous times.

That’s irrelevant to the question of whether it is elder abuse to coach people on what a bill says and remind them it’s time to vote.

If not knowing what is going on or “ being out if it” are reasons to step down, why just pick on Senator Feinstein? Charitably, at least one third of each chamber is just as clueless (if not more).

I like Difi. She has done a decent job representing California. But she is out of it, and should step down. She didn't even think she left DC, and she was gone for months on medical leave!

As far as men in more recent times, Fetterman has had calls to step down numerous times.
True—I had forgotten Fetterman, probably because he is so recent an example.

There’s another pattern though: Women and Democrats….

Ugh. "Democracy Now" is a hard left show. Kind of like OAN for fauxgressives. Amy Goodman et al also love to hate on Israel, btw.

But speaking of Ro Khanna's statements, he wants Feinstein to resign for his own self-interest. As he himself admits,
Ro Khanna via DN said:
There is a concern about who Governor Newsom would appoint if Dianne Feinstein stepped down. And Governor Newsom has said that he would appoint a Black woman. And I want to be transparent. I’m a co-chair of Barbara Lee’s Senate campaign, and many people have speculated that Barbara Lee would be one of the potential people that Gavin Newsom could appoint.
He knows where his bread is buttered.
Newsom should not have made his racist and sexist pledge (just like Biden should not have made his as part of his Corrupt Bargain to win the 2020 nomination) and appointing somebody as far left as Lee will not help him come 2028 if he decides to run then.
On the other hand, I think Khanna hopes that Lee, being old herself, will not serve more than one or perhaps two terms and then she would endorse her good and faithful servant to succeed her.

Last edited:
Fetterman is a bit different. While Dems were foolish electing him as their candidate given his stroke (and they were only saved by Reps electing Öz) once he is the Senate, more leeway is usually given.
And a 53 year old is very different than an 89 year old in their ability to recover from a health challenge.

Democrats are hard of Feinstein because her absence and ineffectiveness is harming them in a closely divided Senate.
I do not think gender has anything to do with this. If Dennis Feinstein (D-CA) was absent from Senate for weeks at 89, and generally showed signs of cognitive decline, there would be even more calls for him to resign. Even Pelosi would be joining in.

It's not DiFi's age or sex that's the problem. It's her mental deterioration. If she thinks that she was at DC when she was away, then that's a problem. If she stumbles over elementary Senate procedure, that's a problem. If her aides have to give her instructions for every little bit, that's a problem. That goes far beyond composing a lot of notes for oneself on what to say and what to vote on. AOC once Instagrammed about her research process, and that involved making lots of notes.

So can anyone dig up any of these for DiFi?
  • Speeches on the Senate floor
  • Senate-hearing interactions
  • Press conferences
  • Appearances in public-affairs talk shows
  • Appearances in rallies and the like

I have done so for John Fetterman, 53, Chuck Schumer, 72, Joe Manchin, 75, Barbara Lee, 76, Bernie Sanders, 81, Mitch McConnell, 81, and Nancy Pelosi, 83, and they were at least somewhat articulate in such events.

And judicial nominations, which is more driving this, I think. If the Senate was 58 to 42, it wouldn't be an issue, but Feinstein is potentially missing critical judicial nominee time, and Biden is going to be locked out come January 2025, if he wins re-election, as the GOP is almost assured to retake the Senate.

Former Google executive enters 2024 US Senate race to succeed California's Feinstein | AP News

She's Lexi Reese and visiting Lexi Reese for U.S. Senate reveals such boilerplate as "Let’s unlock economic opportunities and make work work for every Californian." and "Let’s strengthen our communities and get actual results from our government." but also "Let’s remove obstacles to job security like forced pregnancy and irresponsible gun laws." revealing where she stands on abortion and gun control.

This makes four Democratic candidates for this seat. CA's top-two system presents some interesting complications. With the Democratic vote split four ways, that makes an opportunity for the Republican to get into the general election, and makes the Democratic primary winner the likely general winner.

But the Republicans might also get another candidate.
Former baseball MVP and Republican Steve Garvey, who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres, is considering getting into the race. He would join GOP attorney Eric Early — an unsuccessful candidate for state attorney general in 2022 and 2018 and for Congress in 2020.
A four-way split of Democrats and a two-way split of Republicans -- could be interesting.

United States Senate election in California, 2024 - Ballotpedia

The candidates so far: Paul Anderson (G), Dana Bobbitt (I), James P. Bradley (R), Eric Early (R), Jacob Farmos (D), Jeremy Fennell (D), Frank Ferreira (I), Carson Franklin Jr. (D), Denice Gary-Pandol (R), Jehu Hand (R), Zafar Inam (D), Fepbrina Keivaulqe Autiameineire (Vienmerisce Veittemeignzce USA), Zakaria Kortam (R), Roxanne Lawler (R), Barbara Lee (D), Peter Yuan Liu (R), Barack Obama Mandela (R), John Pappenheim (R), Douglas Howard Pierce (D), Katie Porter (D), Raji Rab (D), Lexi Reese (D). Jonathan Reiss (R), Jessica Resendez (D), John Rose (D), Adam Schiff (D)

Withdrawn or disqualified: Joshua Bocanegra (D)

Vienmerisce American Society VMAS-USA Corporation (@vienmerisceusa) / Twitter - with tweets like "Happy Vietnamese Lunar New Year! January 22nd, 2023" and "Happy Buddha Day to all VMAS-USA civic members and associates! Friday • May 5th, 2023"

RealClearPolitics - Election 2024 - California Senate - Open Primary

• PPIC: 6/7 - 6/29: KP 19, AS 16, BL 13, EE 7, JB 6, PYL 5, JReiss 4, FF 3
  • Emerson: 6/4 - 6/7: KP 14, AS 15, BL 6, EE 3, JB 4, PYL --, JReiss 1, FF 1
  • LA Times: 5/17 - 5/22: KP 17, AS 14, BL 9, EE 18, others --
So both parties are now split, meaning that the primary is likely to elect two D's.

Back
Top Bottom