• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

Ah, those were your own modifications. Kewl.

No actually I copied and pasted that straight from Michael Smiths's own website. I didn't notice he didn't add that stuff until you pointed it out. So I guess those are his own modifications since he made the video. I'll have to add in the thyme too next time.

Underseer said:
You put whole garlic cloves in there?

I think I was using the wrong terminology. I thought a clove meant a head of garlic, but the internet says it just means one of the wedges. What I meant is I might have put in a whole head of minced garlic because I love it.
That is alot of garlic!

No actually I copied and pasted that straight from Michael Smiths's own website. I didn't notice he didn't add that stuff until you pointed it out. So I guess those are his own modifications since he made the video. I'll have to add in the thyme too next time.

Underseer said:

I think I was using the wrong terminology. I thought a clove meant a head of garlic, but the internet says it just means one of the wedges. What I meant is I might have put in a whole head of minced garlic because I love it.
That is alot of garlic!

It is allotting a lot of garlic. I would not allot that much.

Potato Omelette (1 or 2 servings)

1 Baked potato (if in a hurry, microwave the potato)

2 eggs, whisked, and salted to taste.

Quart the potato and mix with the eggs in a bowl.

Using a small nonstick skillet and a little oil, heat at medium, and pour the mixed eggs into it. Cook until bottom begins to brown, then flip it, and cook the other side until done.

Eat it with a little side salad. :)

*You can add bits of ham or bacon to the mixed eggs if desired.

*To flip the omelette, you can use a plate.

It should look something like this...

4Aq3C.jpg

10334387_10153710204447209_5282923812291891385_n.jpg

Bacon wrapped onion or capsicum rings. Smothered with bbq sauce and either fried or baked.

Delicious.

Try this:

Cake Pizza!

12122868_1004882229534720_6599598114683261777_n.jpg
That looks Delish!

Giant Whole Wheat Apple Stuffed Pancakes

1 cup WW Flour
1.5 Tbsp Flax seed, ground
1.75 to 2 cups milk, water or milk substitute. (Adjust as needed)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large apple, peel on, cored and diced. (Or 1.5 cups of your favorite berries)
1 Tbsp sugar (optional)

Mix all ingredients by hand. Ladle 1 cup batter onto a smoking hot 8" nonstick skillet brushed with olive oil. Make as you would any pancake. Top with your favorite fruit, honey, glaze and a touch of syrup.

I grow a lot of Pawpaws and they smash up nice for a topping.

Breakfast for two.

two pieces of bacon

one medium potato

1/3 medium onion

two eggs

6 cups of water

6 scoops of Starbucks Espresso roast grind coffee.

salt, pepper, sugar to suit

wrap bacon in six sheets of brawny. Cook in microwave for 70 seconds for perfect non greasy bacon
Turn Jenn air griddle to high. Cut potato into four slices, cut slices into four strips then cut strips into ten pieces. Dice onion. Mix with potatoes in small bowl. Cover with two slices from a quarter pound of butter (about two teaspoons). Nuke mix for 2 minutes 30 seconds. Use greasy paper to remove bowl from nuker. Put partly cooked stuff on griddle. Salt and pepper a bit. Takes about 6 minutes to put nice brown on two sides of potato bits.

While cooking potatoes, prepare small pan at low heat for eggs with one teaspoon of butter. Break eggs gently and place them into pan. While all this is going on put six cups declorinated water into maker with six scoops of Starbucks. Prepare cups with sugar as desired.

Remove potatoes from griddle and place on used brawny sheets to dry. add one table spoon of water to fry pan and cover with pie tin for about 40 seconds. Remove and plate spooned looking OE eggs, bacon, and potatoes. Pour coffee, add cream for mate. put forks on plates.

Trundle back to BR served mate and jump in bed with feet facing lake and ocean. Spread napkin. Enjoy. 15 minutes from get up to eat up.

Underseer said:

That is alot of garlic!

It is allotting a lot of garlic. I would not allot that much.

There is no such thing as "too much garlic."

How dare you imply such a thing!

Ingredients:

One (1) Phone
One (1) Credit Card

1) Dial the phone, substituting the number for whichever type of restaurant serves the food you want as needed
2) Order the food from that restaurant
3) Give them your credit card number
4) Sit on couch watching TV and drinking beer until doorbell rings
5) Open door and take food from delivery guy

I've found that this recipe works for most every situation, from single meals to larger gatherings.

Can't get this recipe to work.
There is not a single establishment that will deliver cooked food to my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I didn't see him use any garlic, thyme, or onion.

I put in a few cloves or bulbs of garlic when I made it. I wanted to put in at least one onion too, but my roommate I was making it for is allergic to onions. I was making it for him because he loves bacon, and I supposedly ate his last cupcake when I was drunk.

That right there is what a SINCERE apology looks like!

For those wanting a vegan dish:

Vegetable Lentil Loaf

Yield: One loaf, about 8 Servings

----- Loaf =============================
1 c dry lentils
2 1/2 c water or vegetable broth
3 T flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
1/3 c water (6 tablespoons)
2 T extra virgin olive oil for sauteing,or steam saute -using 1/4 cup water if steaming veggies
3 garlic cloves,minced
1 small onion,finely diced
1 small bell pepper,finely diced
1 carrot,finely diced or grated
1 celery stalk,finely diced
3/4 c oats (steel cut or rolled, not instant)
1/2 c oat flour or finely ground oats
1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 heaping teaspoon cumin
1/2 t each garlic powder & onion powder...for good measure!
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper,optional
cracked pepper & sea salt -to taste
----- Glaze ============================
3 T organic ketchup
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T pure maple syrup

[Note: from The Veganista]
Rinse lentils. In large pot add 2 1/2 cups water with lentils. Bring to
a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring
occasionally. It's ok if they get mushy, we are going to roughly puree
3/4 of the mixture when cooled. Once done, remove lid and set aside to
cool. they will thicken upon standing, about 15 minutes is good.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In small bowl combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water, set aside for at
least 10 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator. This will act as a
binder and will thicken nicely upon sitting.

Prepare vegetables. In saute pan heat oil or water over medium heat.
Saute garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes.
Add spices mixing well to incorporate. Set aside to cool.

Using a submersion blender or food processor, blend 3/4 of the lentil
mixture.

Combine sauteed vegetables with the lentils, oats, oat flour and
flaxseed meal, mix well.

Taste, adding pepper and salt as needed. Or any other herb or spice you
might like.

Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, leaving it
hanging out for easy removal later. Press down firmly filling in along
the edges too.

Prepare your glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, mix
until incorporated. I recommend making each tablespoon heaping so you
have plenty of this great sauce on top. Spread over top of loaf and

bake in oven for about 45 - 50 minutes. Let cool a bit before slicing.

-----

Actually, this is more our style:

Brown onion - chopped - 216g
Chorizo - chopped - 146g
Black Pudding - chopped - 289g
Bacon - diced - 17g
Green Capsicum - chopped - 180g
Red Chilli - deseeded and diced - 26g
Green chilli - deseeded and diced - 7 g
Tinned diced tomatoes - 392g
Tomato paste - 45 g
Salt and pepper to taste

Use no oil or anything to cook this:

Chop the chorizo and black pudding and put into a heavy based pan on the stove.
Chop the onion and add and stir.
Chop the capsicum and add and stir
Chop the chilli and add. You will notice a bit of browning on the bottom - don't worry - the tomato takes care of that.
Add tomato and tomato paste and stir.

Cook on a medium low heat for about 40 minutes.

We have kept portion control in mind and made it into 8 serves - each of 875kj

Serve with Pasta.

Ah, those were your own modifications. Kewl.

Underseer said:

No, clove is the correct term, I'm just curious if you left the cloves whole, or minced them or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, this is more our style:

Brown onion - chopped - 216g
Chorizo - chopped - 146g
Black Pudding - chopped - 289g
Bacon - diced - 17g
Green Capsicum - chopped - 180g
Red Chilli - deseeded and diced - 26g
Green chilli - deseeded and diced - 7 g
Tinned diced tomatoes - 392g
Tomato paste - 45 g
Salt and pepper to taste

Use no oil or anything to cook this:

Chop the chorizo and black pudding and put into a heavy based pan on the stove.
Chop the onion and add and stir.
Chop the capsicum and add and stir
Chop the chilli and add. You will notice a bit of browning on the bottom - don't worry - the tomato takes care of that.
Add tomato and tomato paste and stir.

Cook on a medium low heat for about 40 minutes.

We have kept portion control in mind and made it into 8 serves - each of 875kj

Serve with Pasta.

Chorizo makes everything better.

African Cuisine for Southerners

Please note that 'Southern' is a state of mind, not a color.

If you're from the South and interested in African cuisine I have good news - you've been eating it your whole life. In a paltry, attenuated form, true, but okra, black eyed peas, sweet potatoes, cowpeas, watermelons and other melons, bananas, corn AKA mealies, greens and peanuts are all staples across the continent. Yes, Africa is a continent with thousand of different cultures, but the parts connected to the South are those that were involved in the Atlantic slave trade - the Kongo and West Africa. Not all of those foods are native to Africa, some have basically replaced similar veggies that were less amendable to cultivation.

African cuisine use those basic foods and combines them in new ways, along with adding other new foods. Consider Sukuma Wiki, which is Swahili for 'get through the week', mixed greens, whatever you have, along with tomatoes, onions and spices. Try it with garlic, lime juice and the contents of a tea bag or a bit of tamarind paste. Every mother has her own way of cooking it, of course.

Traditional greens include okra leaves, sweet potato leaves, taro leaves - yes, elephant ear plant leaves, mustard, swiss chard, pumpkin leaves, turnip greens, collards and kale, but don't let that stop you - Sukuma Wiki is about getting through the week, in style. I suggest spinach, cabbage and fresh basil.

If there is one dish that might be considered pan-African (haha), it would be Groundnut Stew. The basic idea is a stew thickened with peanut butter and sometimes coconut milk, spiced hot with chili and/or curry. Weird? It is *fantastic*.

You need all the good southern stuff, plus a bit more. Two sweet potatoes, a cup of chopped okra, a cup/can of black-eyed peas, tomatoes, tomato paste, greens (a can of spinach or equivalent fresh), and two green plantains or bananas, chili peppers (I use Sriracha) and red curry powder, if you like.

Peel and chop the sweet potatoes, bite sized cubes. Peel the plantains (cut it with a knife on the inside curve and open it) and cut into 1/2" slices. Boil these together until the sweet potatoes are tender. You should have just enough liquid left to cover the veggies.

In a sauce pan combine a can of tomato paste with half a cup of peanut butter. Add the spices and a diced onion (a strong one, no sweet onions) and enough liquid to cover it, then heat and simmer for a bit, let it cook down.

Add your greens to the sweet potatoes and plantains - if they're fresh, do it while the water is still hot and let them wilt. Pour in the sauce and add the rest of the veggies, okra last, and bring it back to a simmer. The okra will thicken the stew when it cools.

for the meat connosieur: first, get a goat. you can't do anything in Africa unless you first procure, butcher and spit roast a goat, which is shared by all involved in the anything you're to be doing. it's very civilzed, except to the goat. notice all the goat farms popping up everywhere? yeah. i'm vegan and i'm telling you goat is tasty.

Quick question for you foodies. What are the thin red peppers that are used in spicy Chinese dishes such as Mongolian beef? Most of the recipes I've looked up on line don't use peppers or use red pepper flakes. I'd like to use them in my own cooking but I'm not sure what to get.

Quick question for you foodies. What are the thin red peppers that are used in spicy Chinese dishes such as Mongolian beef? Most of the recipes I've looked up on line don't use peppers or use red pepper flakes. I'd like to use them in my own cooking but I'm not sure what to get.

Umm, at the risk of sounding stupid, could they be chillies?

Nope, not stupid. That's what I thought they were too. Just wanted some confirmation.

When growing up, my grandmother, who lived with us, did most of the cooking. She wasn't big on using much in the way of spices other than salt and black pepper. My wife's family was about the same. I've grown to like spicy foods. My wife, not so much. Although she does like garlic.

I use the hell out of red cayenne pepper and even got my wife to like it on the eggs I make for her in the morning, although in far less quantity than I put on mine. I'm just not that familiar with what spices are what in cooking.

But thank you for the semi-confirmation that they are chilies. I'll pick some up on the next grocery run and try them out. Yum.

Nope, not stupid. That's what I thought they were too. Just wanted some confirmation.

When growing up, my grandmother, who lived with us, did most of the cooking. She wasn't big on using much in the way of spices other than salt and black pepper. My wife's family was about the same. I've grown to like spicy foods. My wife, not so much. Although she does like garlic.

I use the hell out of red cayenne pepper and even got my wife to like it on the eggs I make for her in the morning, although in far less quantity than I put on mine. I'm just not that familiar with what spices are what in cooking.

But thank you for the semi-confirmation that they are chilies. I'll pick some up on the next grocery run and try them out. Yum.

You are welcome. I have a couple of recipes that you can make where you can 'ease in' the number of chillies.

1. Chorizo pasta sauce. Serves 2.
Chop one chorizo sausage - I generally cut it lengthwise into half, then half again the same way, then chop the quarters to make little triangle type bits.
Chop one red onion.
chop one capsicum (what you call bell peppers?)
cook in a pot until slightly sizzling.
Chop your chili (I suggest starting with green mild ones to begin with and then slowly increase the number, switch to a red one, and increase the number) and add to the mix.
Add a tin of chopped tomatoes - juice and all, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (puree).
Cook until thick.
Serve with pasta of your choice. It doesn't look a lot, but it's very filling.

2. Chicken and corn soup
In a saucepan add 3 - 4 chopped shallots (spring onions), and 1 cup of chopped mushrooms.
Add a can or corn kernels - drained.
Add a can of creamed corn.
Add chillies as per previous recipe.
Add a chopped precooked chicken breast (bbq chicken works well)
Add a litre of chicken stock.
Cook until ready to serve.
When ready, beat two eggs and while stirring the soup, add to the soup - this makes a sort of egg noodle.

sorry these are rushed. I am almost late for work.. Good luck

Both sound very good. Thank you very much! I actually have most everything for recipe #2 except the chilies and the mushrooms.

I have Dave Lister to thank for the realisation that fried eggs NEED chilli sauce to be complete. Now I'm taking culinary advice from fictional characters. But it's brilliant!

Julienne cut up zucchini. Cook in a skillet or pan, no oil at around medium high heat. Brown a bit. Add a tablespoon or two of BBQ sauce. Heat so entire mixture is warm. Take a sub bun, place some nice potato chips that has crunch. Put the zucchini on top of that. Serve. Really simple, really silly, but the flavors do blend extraordinarily well. The sweet and heat of the BBQ sauce, the softness of the zucchini, the fattiness and crunch of the chips.

This won't win any contests, but it is a nice way to promote a veggie to centerstage on the dinner plate.

Back
Top Bottom