• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should bakers be forced to make gender transition celebration cakes?

Generally, I don't like forcing people to do things they don't want to do. Why is there a compelling reason for force the baker to make the cake?

To serve the public as they have freely chosen to serve the public without discrimination.

You are only forcing a person to not discriminate by forcing them to not discriminate.

Avoidance of unjust discrimination is one value and avoidance of compelled expression is another. For me to feel oppressed by the refusal of a religious baker to create a cake for me decorated with the words "God is Dead" is to take the "Customer is Queen" notion to absurd lengths.

Perhaps it's more like this...

Customer: Hi, can I have a penis cake?
Baker: No, I don't make penis cakes.
Customer: Oh. Then, can I have a carrot cake?
Baker: Sure.
Customer: Great, the carrot symbolizes a penis.
Baker: Now I don't feel like baking you a carrot cake.
Customer: Help, I'm being oppressed!!!
Baker: No, you're not.

For "a penis cake" you can substitute "a gender transition celebration cake".
For "carrot cake" you can substitute "green cake".
And for "the carrot symbolizes a penis" you can substitute "the colour green celebrates my gender transition".

Or
For "a penis cake" you can substitute "a cake to celebrate the cruxifiction".
For "carrot cake" you can substitute "red cake".
And for "the carrot symbolizes a penis" you can substitute "the colour red celebrates the blood of Jesus Christ".

Again comparing a personal event with obscenity.

Or a personal conviction.

Would you support a baker offering penis cakes for bachelorette parties but refusing to sell them to gay customers?

A more common example would be wedding cakes. In general, I don't like the idea of a baker refusing to do business at all with gay/straight persons just because they are gay/straight so I would be against the baker not selling any off-the-shelf cakes to gay/straight people just because they are gay/straight. If he makes an off-the-shelf item, he should accept that anyone could buy it. The issue of compelled expression shouldn't arise with an off-the-shelf item. But I am not inclined to go so far as to want to force the baker to create a make-for-order cake if he has reason to feel that making the cake expressed/celebrated something he was against, including gay marriage/sex or whatever.

So if the baker was against blacks having the right to marry he could refuse to sell wedding cakes to black people?

Would you support a baker offering penis cakes for bachelorette parties but refusing to sell them to gay customers?

A more common example would be wedding cakes. In general, I don't like the idea of a baker refusing to do business at all with gay/straight persons just because they are gay/straight so I would be against the baker not selling any off-the-shelf cakes to gay/straight people just because they are gay/straight. If he makes an off-the-shelf item, he should accept that anyone could buy it. The issue of compelled expression shouldn't arise with an off-the-shelf item. But I am not inclined to go so far as to want to force the baker to create a make-for-order cake if he has reason to feel that making the cake expressed/celebrated something he was against, including gay marriage/sex or whatever.

If the baker advertises customised cakes as part of their repertoire, I honestly fail to see the difference between customised cakes and off the shelf cakes.

If a customer orders a cake in the national colours of Ethiopia, does the baker get to enquiry whether they intend it to symbolise Ethiopia or the Rastafarian movement and refuse the job in the latter case?

Perhaps it's more like this...

Customer: Hi, can I have a penis cake?
Baker: No, I don't make penis cakes.
Customer: Oh. Then, can I have a carrot cake?
Baker: Sure.
Customer: Great, the carrot symbolizes a penis.
Baker: Now I don't feel like baking you a carrot cake.
Customer: Help, I'm being oppressed!!!
Baker: No, you're not.

For "a penis cake" you can substitute "a gender transition celebration cake".
For "carrot cake" you can substitute "green cake".
And for "the carrot symbolizes a penis" you can substitute "the colour green celebrates my gender transition".

Or
For "a penis cake" you can substitute "a cake to celebrate the cruxifiction".
For "carrot cake" you can substitute "red cake".
And for "the carrot symbolizes a penis" you can substitute "the colour red celebrates the blood of Jesus Christ".

Again comparing a personal event with obscenity.

Or a personal conviction.
Penis cakes are now a conviction?

So if the baker was against blacks having the right to marry he could refuse to sell wedding cakes to black people?

I would say that I am generally against compelled expression. So if you approached a white/black nationalist who was against miscegenation and he refused to bake you a cake which said "Mixed marriages are awesome" I would be against the law intervening. If the cake is just a generic wedding cake and he is conducting a public business of selling wedding cakes, I think he should be prepared to sell it to whoever.

If the baker advertises customised cakes as part of their repertoire, I honestly fail to see the difference between customised cakes and off the shelf cakes.

If a customer orders a cake in the national colours of Ethiopia, does the baker get to enquiry whether they intend it to symbolise Ethiopia or the Rastafarian movement and refuse the job in the latter case?

The distinction is between a product which is manufactured and customised for a specific purpose and one that is not as I am against compelled expression.

I am okay with the baker asking whatever questions he likes. The customer may or may not answer and the baker may or may not proceed with the cake.

Moreover, I would also be okay with a baker refusing to bake a cake he thought was ugly.

I would say that I am generally against compelled expression. So if you approached a white/black nationalist who was against miscegenation and he refused to bake you a cake which said "Mixed marriages are awesome" I would be against the law intervening. If the cake is just a generic wedding cake and he is conducting a public business of selling wedding cakes, I think he should be prepared to sell it to whoever.

In my world the bigots should not be given free reign to discriminate in the market place.

Christianity is one of the most destructive set of delusions in history. The law should not be coddling this ignorance and bigotry calling itself religion.

If the person does not like mixed marriages either keep it to yourself and don't make cakes for anyone or engage in legal business practice and make them for anyone.

In my world the bigots should not be given free reign to discriminate in the market place.
In my world the government shouldn't be given free reign to interfere in the minutiae of people's private lives.
If we were talking about a real human need, like education or health care, I'd want the government enforcement. But cakes? No, I'd really rather the government and sleazy lawyers just butt out.
Tom

Christianity is one of the most destructive set of delusions in history. The law should not be coddling this ignorance and bigotry calling itself religion.
This is another unfortunate side effect of Phillips' behavior. Making Christianity look even more primitive and ethically challenged than it really is. I'm certain that the vast majority of bakers who are also Christian would just make the cake, even if they found trans repulsive.
Tom

In my world the government shouldn't be given free reign to interfere in the minutiae of people's private lives.
If we were talking about a real human need, like education or health care, I'd want the government enforcement. But cakes? No, I'd really rather the government and sleazy lawyers just butt out.
Tom

It is only minutiae when it is not you being discriminated by some ignorant bigot.

Tom

It is only minutiae when it is not you being discriminated by some ignorant bigot.

I'm an openly gay man living in Mike Pence's home town in Jesustan, Indiana. You think I don't know what it's like being discriminated against by ignorant bigots?

Yeah, I've learned what is minutiae and what's important. Cakes are not important.
Tom

Perhaps so. Let's find out. The post where you revealed yourself to apparently favor Policy 3 was this one:

Post #560

You defended an Arab baker having the right to refuse to service a customer who wanted him to write "Judea and Samaria are Eretz Israel", with an argument so transparently specious it can't possibly have been your underlying motivation.

Now your turn. In which post did I favor letting my ingroup get to make my outgroup say things they don't agree with, but not letting my outgroup get to make my ingroup say things we don't agree with?

Yes, under the point of not publishing libel not slander.

You here state that my argument was "transparently specious and cannot have possibly been my underlying motivation."

Good to know that in addition to being a great reader you are a great MIND reader too.

Not posting harassing or threatening speech has always been a position I have stood on here.

:eek: Do you genuinely feel as though nothing you've posted could be perceived as harassing toward an outgroup? Or even harassing toward another poster?

Some people also said going to a diner to get a milkshake was unimportant. Yet the COLLECTIVE ACTS of similar incidents and similar things orchestrated by PEOPLE in concert creates a second-class citizenry or caste.

I'm an openly gay man living in Mike Pence's home town in Jesustan, Indiana. You think I don't know what it's like being discriminated against by ignorant bigots?

Yeah, I've learned what is minutiae and what's important. Cakes are not important.
Tom

There is right and wrong here.

Even if this is not such a big deal to you.

It is wrong to discriminate like this in the market place.

It should not be allowed.

What gives an Asian the right to be served at a restaurant if it is not the right to be free from ignorant bigotry?

What gives a black child the right to go to the same schools as the white children if not the right to be free from ignorant bigotry and it's harmful effects?

Are you saying black people do not have the right to be free from ignorant bigotry in the market place?

NOBODY has the right to be free from bigotry, or free from hatred, or free from offense.

What you're referencing are rules placed on specific types of services that constrain the behavior of those services. Those services are prohibited from refusing service on the basis of specified characteristics, which include race, sex, sexual orientation, and belief, and in some locations gender identity.

Sometimes there is a conflict between those characteristics. It's not uncommon to have a conflict between belief and sexual orientation, or between belief and sex. Then it's up to the courts to decide which characteristic takes precedence, and in which circumstances the state is permitted to violate one set of rights in favor of another.

In the case of the prior controversy over the baker refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding, the conflict is between the baker's religious beliefs which are protected under law, and the sexual orientation of the customer which is also protected under law. In which case, the prosecution needs to be able to prove that the baker was discriminating against the characteristic as a whole, rather than against a violation of his specific religious beliefs. Phillips' prior argument was that he was not discriminating against homosexuals across the board, he was discriminating against a specific ceremony or observance, where that specific ceremony or observance is in opposition to his own religious beliefs. He argued that he would have no objection creating a different type of cake for a gay person - a birthday cake, a retirement cake, any number of other types of cakes. He only refused to create a cake celebrating a particular ceremony, and that he would not create a cake celebrating that specific observance for anyone. It gets a bit touchy, because the only people who would want a gay wedding cake are pretty much gay people. But on the other hand, if the gay guy's completely heterosexual mother came in to order the cake, Phillips would have refused to make the cake for her as well - even though she is heterosexual, he was refusing to support the observance for which the cake was being made.

In a similar scenario, in Canada a few years ago there was a conflict between gender identity and either sex or religion, depending on how you look at it. Yaniv identifies as a transwoman, but is physically unaltered. Yaniv wanted to have a Brazilian wax of their genital region. They targeted small businesses, run privately by minority females, predominantly of middle eastern descent. When they refused to provide waxing services, Yaniv sued them. Yaniv put several of them out of business. At the heart of that issue is the conflict between 1) gender identity and sex and 2) gender identity and religion. On the first topic, the business owners were all female, and provided waxing services to 'women' by which they intended 'female'. Yaniv identifies as a woman, but is physically male. The question becomes: does Yaniv's gender identity as a woman entitle them to coerce females to handle their male genitals? That's a question of sexual boundaries, and protections based on sex rather than gender identity. On the second topic, most of the business owners were muslim, and their religion specifically forbids physical contact with males who are not related to them, and sexual contact with any male who is not their spouse. That question then leads to whether or not Yaniv's legal protections on the basis of gender identity override the business owners' legal protections on the basis of their religion. Neither is an easy question to answer.

This case is substantially similar. Phillips' religious views are that sex cannot be changed, and that a gender transition cake is celebrating an event that is in opposition to his religious belief. In the same way that he previously argued, he says that he would not deny Scardina a different type of cake observing an event to which he does not have a religious objection. Because he argues that he would provide a different type of cake to a transgender person with no objections, he argues that he is not discriminating against transgender people as a whole - he is only refusing to provide services in support of a belief-based observance that is in opposition to his own deeply-held beliefs. That then makes this a conflict between the legally protected characteristic of gender identity on the part of Scardina, and the legally protected characteristic of religion on the part of Phillips.

At the end of the day, you are not required to believe that Phillips is in earnest with respect to his claims. You are free to doubt that he would provide other types of cakes to a transgender person. The question really is whether or not the claim of a conflict of protected characteristics is valid in the first place (something for the courts to determine), and if so, which characteristic takes precedence (also for the courts to decide).

My personal opinion is that yes, it is a valid conflict of rights relating to protected characteristics. With respect to the second element, because cakes celebrating gender transition are easily available from other bakers without undue hardship, that it is appropriate for the state to protect Phillips' freedom of religion above Scardina's gender identity. If the majority of bakers held the same belief as Phillips, and it would be difficult for Scardina to obtain a cake celebrating gender transition from any baker, I would support gender identity being protected above religion.

What is the difference between a special order used for a gender transition and an existing cake used for one?

The baker's knowledge of the implied message.

Let's consider two scenarios.
1) Your best friend tells you "Hey, I'm going to drive out to the middle of nowhere with my girlfriend, and I'd like you to come along".
2) Your best friend tells you "Hey, I'm going to drive out to the middle of nowhere with my girlfriend so I can kill her and hide her body, and I'd like you to come along".

In both scenarios, your friend intends to kill their girlfriend. But in one scenario, you do not have knowledge of that fact. Your decision and your choice of action is dependent upon that knowledge.

I previously provided a scenario that is substantially similar to the Phillips case:
1) A customer calls in and orders a chocolate cake with white icing.
2) A customer calls in and orders a chocolate cake with white icing to celebrate his promotion to grand dragon of his local KKK unit, where the white icing symbolizes the supremacy of the white man over the black man, as symbolized by the chocolate cake.

You previously took the position that the baker should be allowed to refuse to bake the cake that will be used to celebrate bigotry... but he can only make that choice because of his knowledge of the use to which it is being put. In the first situation above, the baker does not have that knowledge - he knows only that it's a chocolate cake with white icing, which is a fairly common combination. It is explicitly because of the knowledge given to the baker regarding the purpose and message of the cake that would allow him to refuse it in the second scenario.

Tom

The only one interfering in private lives here is the baker. He created a shop and opened it to the public. He is not allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, or age in the operation of that business.

Back
Top Bottom