• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So much for freedom of thought at universities

It is even more difficult to enjoy dating if one believes that every woman is trying to take advantage of him when she's not. Woman pick up on that sort of attitude and will decline a second date.

If a woman goes on a date just because she'll get some free food etc. out of it, then she is definitely taking advantage of the guy.

I find it fascinating that a person who has given up on dating is here giving dating advice.

At the risk of generalizing, unless you're fishing for dating material at the homeless shelter, a hot meal isn't the motivation for a woman saying yes to a date. Also generally speaking, unless you roll up to the club in your Bentley, pop a bunch of bottles at your private table and make it rain up in there while your security detail selects the best women to sit with you, then there's a pretty good chance that the girl you asked to dance isn't looking for a meal ticket either.

Your problem - judging by your posts here and in the past incarnation of this board - is that you begin with the assumption that every woman you meet is trying to take advantage of you. RavenSky is correct that such an attitude will put off the possibility of a second date, but you take it one step further and take it as an insult when someone points out this obvious truth.

I'm not The Most Interesting Man In The World (by any stretch of the imagination) but if I were, my motto would be "I don't always go on dates, but when I do, I don't have any expectations one way or another."

Your motto seems to be "I don't go out on dates, because all women just want a free meal or to accuse me of rape."

That's pretty fucked up.

This "social expectation" is in your own mind.

Really? It's such a pervasive societal expectation that it even made its way into a "Most Interesting Man" commercial!

The guy is portrayed to be very old school, too.

Except that isn't it.
You say that it isn't, yet ...

The man wants to spend time with a woman who is all but a stranger to him. He has no other reason in which to spend time with her privately unless he creates a social situation in which the two can do so.

HE wants to date her. So HE has to make the social event and his own person enticing enough to coax her to attend.

The event and money invested varies.
You explain why it is. Or am I misunderstanding something?

That it's tit for tat. The girl does the same thing if she wants to ask a guy out. In fact, it maybe that the woman spends more money than the guy. She dolls herself up (possibly spends money on hair, makeup and clothing to look her most attractive), then goes up to him with a pair of tickets and says, "Hey..."

I find it fascinating that a person who has given up on dating is here giving dating advice.
Not advice, opinion. And just because I am unable to participate in an activity doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it.

At the risk of generalizing, unless you're fishing for dating material at the homeless shelter, a hot meal isn't the motivation for a woman saying yes to a date.
Not just for "hot meal" but free restaurant meal. Didn't you see the story about the two women (one in Canada, other in NY) who were online dating just to get free meals at fancy restaurants?

Your problem - judging by your posts here and in the past incarnation of this board - is that you begin with the assumption that every woman you meet is trying to take advantage of you.
Just because I post (in) some threads that challenge the common notion that women are oh so oppressed in contemporary US doesn't mean I think "every woman meet is trying to take advantage of [me]". However, I think women who date men they don't like just for free meals/entertainment are taking advantage of them, and I do not think it's misogynistic in the least to point that out.

I'm not The Most Interesting Man In The World (by any stretch of the imagination) but if I were, my motto would be "I don't always go on dates, but when I do, I don't have any expectations one way or another."
Then why go in the first place?

Your motto seems to be "I don't go out on dates, because all women just want a free meal or to accuse me of rape."
No. It is "I do not go on dates because women aren't interested in me in the first place".

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. I just have never interacted with someone that needed to pay women to socialize with him. There must be a reason for this.
Not socialize, but fuck. I do not have many problems with platonic socializing.

Here is what "Ask Men" says:
So men should pay for most dates for two months? That seems like a very long time, especially since there are good chances most relationships won't last that long.

The rest of your links were more even, I must admit. But I guess the same thing I said before applies to women: if she buys a man a drink or pays for a date and he has sex with her when he wouldn't if she hadn't paid then she effectively paid for sex.

yes, that is exactly what you have been saying over and over. If that is not what you mean, you need to examine your own choice of words and attitude.
Or maybe you should read more carefully.

No, it really doesn't. One woman who is apparently trying to create a writing career out of being outrageous in the same way that Tucker Max and various PUA males did it does not say anything whatsoever about a "problem" that exists only in your own mind.
So it's ok for women to trash PUAs but not ok for me to trash these women? Also, only one of them blogs. The other (the one who was bragging about raking in $1,200 worth of free meals per month!) doesn't even have that excuse, such as it is.

Also, I gave up on dating a long time ago.
clearly, which is why you should not make assumptions about the "dating scene" that you choose not to participate in.
I can still have opinions. Also, giving up wasn't my choice exactly.

Not advice, opinion. And just because I am unable to participate in an activity doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it.

So women avoid you like the plague. Duly noted. As such, I'd say your opinion on the matter counts for little if anything.

Didn't you see the story about the two women (one in Canada, other in NY) who were online dating just to get free meals at fancy restaurants?

No, but then, I don't scour the internet looking for stories about how womenfolk are bad.

I think women who date men they don't like just for free meals/entertainment are taking advantage of them, and I do not think it's misogynistic in the least to point that out.

Casting aspersions upon women as a whole because of the isolated cases you've managed to find is absolutely misogynist.

Unlike you, I enjoy the company of women, and don't view them with suspicion. If I have a nice time with one, then I ask for a second date. Whether she says yes or not, the money spent is a pittance, and certainly not wasted if I had a good time.

"I do not go on dates because women aren't interested in me in the first place".

Maybe they are, but when they get to know you and your attitude towards them, the last thing they want to do is date you?

Not socialize, but fuck.

This is perhaps the most amusing thing about your stance. You bristle at the notion of paying a woman for dinner in hopes that maybe she'll have sex, but have no problem whatsoever with paying the wages of a sex worker that she will use to buy herself dinner.

So men should pay for most dates for two months? That seems like a very long time, especially since there are good chances most relationships won't last that long.

The rest of your links were more even, I must admit.

What I found most interesting about the first link and the last is that it was mainly men saying men should pay.

But I guess the same thing I said before applies to women: if she buys a man a drink or pays for a date and he has sex with her when he wouldn't if she hadn't paid then she effectively paid for sex.
No. The two are unrelated in most people's minds (and should be unrelated in everyone's minds).

Regardless who pays for drinks, dinner, movies - the point is to enjoy each other's company. No one is paying for companionship or for sex.

College Professor Bans Student From Class For His Views On Rape

He was banned by a lefty professor Pancho Savery (who on his college homepage says that he "believe religiously in the conference method—the idea that students are in charge of their own education" except, apparently, if they disagree with him), because he challenged the notions of "rape culture" and the unfounded "1 in 5" (sometimes "1 in 4") claims. Feminist propaganda must not be challenged I guess.
I wonder if the student in question can sue for viewpoint discrimination.

Savery should perhaps get some professional help. He says college is a frightening experience for a male. It must be his fear of losing control of himself and engaging in sexual assault or rape that has him frightened. As for the accuracy of the figures on rape, it will always be difficult to get these numbers. Loose attitudes about rape lead to more rape. If he argues consistently for conditions conducive to rape, he is a loser. Actually the professor was trying to save the guy personal embarrassment. I really don't think the guy really has a freedom issue going....should instead get some counseling.

He was banned by a lefty professor Pancho Savery (who on his college homepage says that he "believe religiously in the conference method—the idea that students are in charge of their own education" except, apparently, if they disagree with him), because he challenged the notions of "rape culture" and the unfounded "1 in 5" (sometimes "1 in 4") claims. Feminist propaganda must not be challenged I guess.

Savery should perhaps get some professional help. He says college is a frightening experience for a male. It must be his fear of losing control of himself and engaging in sexual assault or rape that has him frightened. As for the accuracy of the figures on rape, it will always be difficult to get these numbers. Loose attitudes about rape lead to more rape. If he argues consistently for conditions conducive to rape, he is a loser. Actually the professor was trying to save the guy personal embarrassment. I really don't think the guy really has a freedom issue going....should instead get some counseling.

Did you mean Professor Savery or Jeremiah True? Jeremiah True is the student.

So women avoid you like the plague. Duly noted. As such, I'd say your opinion on the matter counts for little if anything.

Some people learn from their experiences of success. Some people learn from their experiences of failure. Some people form opinions just by trying to form an accurate model out of what they hear from other people. I wouldn't say any of those people are incapable of forming an opinion worth listening to. Other things equal, good ideas cause their holder to be successful and bad opinions cause their holder to be unsuccessful, but there's not an extremely strong implication that when a successful person and a failure disagree, the failure is wrong. For example, if an accountant believes that becoming rich and being good at math are easy, and the guy who dropped out of accounting school thinks that both are difficult, that doesn't mean that the dropout is wrong. He could easily be right that most people are too bad at math to make it in accounting school, while the accountant's experiences bias him to believe the opposite.

Unlike you, I enjoy the company of women, and don't view them with suspicion. If I have a nice time with one, then I ask for a second date. Whether she says yes or not, the money spent is a pittance, and certainly not wasted if I had a good time.

I have no problem with the idea that I might spend a pittance on two meals, and have a good time with a woman I like, and it leads to neither sex nor a second date, and it's all worth it. On the other hand, there are plenty of questions that are unsettled from my point of view. For instance, is the rule "the man pays," or "the party who suggested the date pays" a rule that we would want if we were designing the best possible system from scratch? I admit that the proponents can come up with reasons why this rule is fair, or useful, or otherwise advantageous. But there are disadvantages, like the fact that a man may spend his money, he doesn't have a good time by any criterion, and so he still wasted his money--while if the woman doesn't have a good time, she didn't waste her money. And the fact that some men falsely think there's a social contract for sex is also a disadvantage of the system; I don't think they would be confused (I would be far less confused, for that matter) if the universal custom were to go Dutch.

But these may be minor disadvantages that aren't worth complaining about. Maybe the status quo is still the best system. And sometimes we just have to follow the system in place even if it has certain features that are fail the test of reason. So the next question is, do men "have to" follow the system. If they don't like paying for their date's meal, do they face heavy penalties if they insist on going Dutch? By "heavy penalties," I of course mean a greatly reduced chance of getting laid. If you say that most women are equally likely to have sex either way, and Derec thinks that the chances are very low if you go Dutch but reasonably high if you pay, then I can't be sure who's right. Sure, you're a better authority, but arguments from authority are still the weakest kind.

Derec: Not socialize, but fuck.

Completely true. There are plenty of people who can't find someone willing to fuck with them for a reason other than the fact that money's changing hands. Sure, Frikki thinks they're pathetic, but that doesn't mean that they aren't trying their best to be pleasant, and benevolent, and good at forming strategies for social goals like convincing women to have non-prostitution sex. And it doesn't mean that all of them are so pathetic and creepy that they can't find someone to socialize with them for a reason other than that they are offering an explicit payment like that made to a prostitute. It just means that what they should do is keep on trying their best to find non-prostitute partners (making any improvements in their that seem necessary and workable), keep on being with their prostitutes until such time as they become successful, and try to be happy and to be beneficial to everyone whose lives they touch, especially the prostitutes and any other women who are willing to have sex with them.

This is perhaps the most amusing thing about your stance. You bristle at the notion of paying a woman for dinner in hopes that maybe she'll have sex, but have no problem whatsoever with paying the wages of a sex worker that she will use to buy herself dinner.

This is quite consistent. If someone has no problem whatsoever with paying a sex worker, why would they think it's also a good idea to pay a woman for dinner in hopes that maybe she'll have sex? The "maybe a paid-for dinner leads to sex" strategy is simply an alternative way of paying for sex, and the biggest difference is that it doesn't work, while the sex worker does. The second biggest difference is that the sex worker is explicitly affirming the existence of the deal, and agreeing to it, while the non-prostitute date would reject the deal if it were explicitly put into words, and she probably doesn't believe that there's an implicit social contract, or a binding moral duty, to follow the terms of the deal "If the man pays for the woman's meal, the woman should have sex with him." (Or, if she does believe this in some sense, it's far from obvious.) With these two disadvantages, how could it still be a good idea to use paying for dinner as the way of getting sex? Just go to dinner, and pay an amount that is "enough, but not too much," and see if your date wants to have sex, and if she doesn't, then since you didn't spend too much, you've still got enough left over for a prostitute. Maybe you had to refuse to pay for your date in order to make sure you had enough for the prostitute, or maybe your budget had enough in it for both expenditures. Either way, everybody wins. The man gets a good time with a woman he likes and sex with either the same woman he likes or a different woman he likes. The date gets a good time, with sex if she wants it and no pressure to have sex if she doesn't, and the possibility of a free meal probably isn't that important to her anyway (but it is less likely, on average, that the date will get an outcome where she wants a free meal, gets a free meal, doesn't want sex, and doesn't have sex). And the prostitute gets paid if the date won't do what she will.

See, I've just designed a great system that has no use for a strong expectation that the man should pay for dinner. And if a man is satisfied with that system, of course he should consider the sex worker to be a valuable part of the system, while it would be a cheating subversion if the date started to try to get the man to pay every time, with the incentive that if he fails to pay, the chances that she'll put out will drop from 50% to nothing. Indeed, that form of subverting the status quo wouldn't work, and one of the reasons the sex worker is valuable is precisely that she is a big help in preventing it from working.

So why does anyone pay a woman for dinner in hopes of sex, when they could pay a sex worker? It's because they do have problems with paying a sex worker: Maybe it just feels uncomfortable to make the deal explicitly, maybe they believe that prostitution is basically harmful or unfair to prostitutes, maybe they're stopped by the illegality or the social stigma, maybe they fear diseases, crime, or other risks; but if they believed any of this, their stance isn't that they "have no problem whatsoever" with prostitution.

Or maybe when men pay for their date's meal in hopes that she'll have sex, it's because they want sex with a particular woman who is not a prostitute. Here, however, we still return to the fact that it probably isn't effective, and if someone knows it's not effective, they would be most irrational to try it anyway.

Why do we all frown on prostitution anyway? Nothing wrong with paying for sex, or as Charlie Sheen famously said, "I don't pay for the sex, I pay for them to leave".

She shouldn't expect him to pay for her food.

She should if he is the one who asked her to dinner, and did not create any other expectation, like going dutch.

I think guys should be more discriminating, and only ask out women that they think they may have something in common with.
Sure, blame the victim. :rolleyes:

Victim of what?

Not just for "hot meal" but free restaurant meal. Didn't you see the story about the two women (one in Canada, other in NY) who were online dating just to get free meals at fancy restaurants?

I guess I really don't understand. You'd be surprised to learn how many women go out on dates because they want to learn more about their partner. The meal is just a common activity.

Why do anything then? I go on dates to learn about the other person and see how they interact with others.

No. It is "I do not go on dates because women aren't interested in me in the first place".
It's not too difficult to change that, but it take effort and a willingness to change.

Nope. I just have never interacted with someone that needed to pay women to socialize with him. There must be a reason for this.
Not socialize, but fuck. I do not have many problems with platonic socializing.
That is your choice, but I will spend less money and spend my time with someone who is excited to be with me.

That whole class is predicated on in-class discussion. The professor clearly stated that he banned him because of his non-PC point of view.

No, he didn't. Did you actually read the article you linked to?

But when Jeremiah True wouldn’t stop talking about his controversial opinions on sexual assault in his required freshman humanities course, his professor banned him from the discussion segment of the class for the remainder of the semester.

The 19-year-old told BuzzFeed News that his professor, Pancho Savery, warned him repeatedly that his views made his classmates uncomfortable

True, whose Facebook page says he studies “How to Annoy People” at Reed, takes pride in challenging his classmates’ opinions.

The professor took action to stop the student in question from continuing to disrupt the class by being a troll. I would say the action was justified.

First, its a lefty school ferchrissake. If some student decides that his education requires him to disrupt others he's crossed an group education line. The there's line because there is a group. The goal is education for everybody in the group, not just that of the disrupter. If you actually read the article you'd see this is where Reed came down on the case. Free speech ends when it degrades others who are about the same goal, getting a education.

Let him complain. Nothing preventing that. He's not expelled.

The rest of your links were more even, I must admit. But I guess the same thing I said before applies to women: if she buys a man a drink or pays for a date and he has sex with her when he wouldn't if she hadn't paid then she effectively paid for sex.

If it doesn't make it to the 2 month mark, it's hard to call it a 'relationship,' exactly. You go out to dinner and maybe for a walk after. Or just a walk and stop for ice cream or a drink. Or stroll through a museum. Some chance to get to talk to each other and figure out if you want to repeat the experience.

It seems to be the custom of the day that most young people go with " whoever asks is who pays." And as nowadays, a lot of times, it is the woman who has more cash, she may go to some trouble to make sure to suggest low cost entertainment to avoid making the guy feel awkward if he won't be able to easily reciprocate. Truthfully, most young people I know leave the big dinners to special occasions and after the relationship is really well established, they pretty often skip the big dinner and pick up a new bed for the dog instead.

You are right that there are probably women who look for dates with guys so the guy will buy them stuff. Personally, I've never known any women like that but surely there are some out there. And there are likewise men who will look for dates with women to buy them stuff. Yep: that seems to happen, too although it's usually the guy who has forgotten his wallet or credit card when the bill comes. I've never actually met anyone like this but I've heard of it.

Occasionally, someone doesn't realize that a planned outing was actually a date. I've known people that this happened to, actually. And once it was even me: I was so clear that I was not romantically interested in a guy that when we both went to a movie we were interested in seeing, walking there together, and sitting next to each other as it seemed natural to do, it never occurred to me that it was a 'date.' We each bought our own tickets and I don't eat popcorn at movies. No hand holding, or attempts, no sighs or arm slipping slyly across the back of a seat. I went to movies with other guys in a non-romantic way so it never really occurred to me. Only later did I learn he was telling everybody that we were 'dating.' News to me and it was a little uncomfortable to try to find a nice way to break off our non-existent romance. But it turned out he wasn't that nice so it was less difficult than I had feared once I learned that he was one of those charming guys who didn't believe: "Thank you but I'm not interested." I would have much rather not have had to be mean. I know it hurts when someone doesn't feel the same way you do. I've been there, too.

Most people are fundamentally decent, I believe. Some are not. When you find one of the bad ones, you just walk away and thank your lucky stars it wasn't worse. More likely, it just takes a lot of tries to find someone you click with. And sometimes, it takes more than one try with the same person to 'click.'

The best way to find someone who is likely to say yes to an invitation is to be actively involved in something that interests you, whatever that is. You will almost certainly meet likeminded people, and pretty often the group will be mixed genders so you should have some chances at meeting people. And if women like you but are already coupled up or otherwise not interested in you, they have been known to introduce guys to friends, cousins, etc. But only guys they think are decent guys. Not rich, or handsome but nice guys who are decent, reliable. Kind is good. So is funny. Polite. Well groomed. Some women go for flashy. So do some guys. But most people are really looking for someone nice they can talk to.

First, its a lefty school ferchrissake. If some student decides that his education requires him to disrupt others he's crossed an group education line. The there's line because there is a group. The goal is education for everybody in the group, not just that of the disrupter. If you actually read the article you'd see this is where Reed came down on the case. Free speech ends when it degrades others who are about the same goal, getting a education.

Let him complain. Nothing preventing that. He's not expelled.

None of us know what happened in the classroom. The professor has stated the student was disruptive because he knows that's what he must say. The other students who are quoted in the articles seem not to talk about how disruptive the student was other than not liking the content of his speech.

Back
Top Bottom