• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Trump is s narcissist living on borrowed and stolen and donated monies. Makes sense to me.
And if the borrowed money was using the inflated values of his assets, is that therefore stolen money? I mean, if i borrow $5 mill on a $2 mill collateral that i TELL you is worth $6 mill if you foreclose, and i cannot pay back the loan, haven't i stolen $3 mill?

Plus, the donations to his legal defense fund go straight to his campaign debt, so isn't that ALSO stolen?

Trump is s narcissist living on borrowed and stolen and donated monies. Makes sense to me.
And if the borrowed money was using the inflated values of his assets, is that therefore stolen money? I mean, if i borrow $5 mill on a $2 mill collateral that i TELL you is worth $6 mill if you foreclose, and i cannot pay back the loan, haven't i stolen $3 mill?

Plus, the donations to his legal defense fund go straight to his campaign debt, so isn't that ALSO stolen?

I don't think the Chief of Sleaze is going to have much time to enjoy his radio show or whatever else he does. Lots of very deserved legal woes in his future.

I don't think the Chief of Sleaze is going to have much time to enjoy his radio show or whatever else he does. Lots of very deserved legal woes in his future.

I don't know... Didn't they just spend the last 4 years packing the judiciary with conservative (& presumably Trump-friendly) judges? [/cynicism]

Jonah Goldberg (FoxNews contributer!) said:
The country is in the midst of a health and economic crisis, but Trump’s primary focus is licking his own wounds, not tackling the country’s....

He punctuates his brooding and sulking with pathetic tweets brimming with conspiratorial or otherwise deranged hogwash, including the repeated claim “I won the election.” He continues to insist, as he has throughout his presidency, that proof for his lies is just around the corner. On Sunday, he promised a new lawsuit showing the “unconstitutionality” of the 2020 election.
I like Jonah's summary:
“Nixon’s real tragedy is that he never had the stature to be a tragic hero,” Gary Wills wrote in "Nixon Agonistes." “He is the stuff of sad (almost heartbreaking) comedy.” I think that’s a little unfair to Nixon, but it’s dead on with Trump.

In the old days of Rome, as Rome slid into barbarianism and the anarchic times, they had the bad emperors. Caligula, Egalabalus and Commodus, et al. We have had Reagan, Bush, and now Trump.

Who will be the GOP candidate for 2024?

both parties have for the last 60 years at least been pretty predictable in this regard:
either accidentally stumble into letting someone vaguely different and interesting grab the nomination, or insert the next boring-as-shit bran muffin political appointment who's "turn" it is to get to try to be president.
it seems kind of random which way they go with it, though more often than not it seems the bran muffins get trotted out to go up against incumbents and the vaguely unique ones get sparked after a double term is ending.
my prediction would be the next conservative will be an insider pick that gets trotted out to be the 'responsible' one that will 'make the GOP great again" - what's jeb bush doing these days? or maybe ted cruz.

This is no conventional coup. Trump is paving the way for a 'virtual Confederacy' | Jonathan Freedland | Opinion | The Guardian
This is no conventional coup. Trump is paving the way for a 'virtual Confederacy'

Race is the message behind his supporters’ legal shenanigans, and a keystone for a Trumpian government in exile

Not for the first time, Donald Trump’s unhinged behaviour prompts an uncomfortable question: should we be laughing in derision or trembling with fear? Is he playing out his last days as nothing more than a sore loser pathetically kidding himself that he might yet score the winning run, even after the crowd’s gone home and the stadium is empty – or is his insistence that last week’s election was stolen an attempt to cling on to power, to stage a coup against his democratically elected successor?
After a long discussion of Trump's attempts to contest the results of the recent election,
The fear is that Trump and his followers will never give way, that he will remain the head of a “Trumpian government in exile”, as the historian Sean Wilentz puts it, antagonistic to the legitimate, elected government, armed with allies in Congress, sustained via social media and nourished by grievance and the romance of a lost cause: a new, virtual Confederacy.

The word is not wholly hyperbolic because, inevitably in America, so much of this turns on race. When Trump’s cheerleaders locate the supposed voter fraud in Philadelphia or Detroit, their listeners get the message: it’s that black cities are corrupt and, at root, that black people shouldn’t be allowed to decide who gets to be president of the United States. As Barack Obama writes in his upcoming memoir, these are “dark spirits” that have “long been lurking on the edge of the Republican party – xenophobia … paranoid conspiracy theories, an antipathy toward black and brown folks”.

So no, this won’t be a coup like we’ve seen in the movies. But nor can we just laugh it off. Trump is often ridiculous, but he’s no joke.
Or else it might degenerate into yet another right-wing media empire, something like Rush Limbaugh's media empire.

I know this isn't a meaningful contribution to the discussion but it's my opinion so I'm sharing it. I don't give a good god damn what's next for trump other than him doing that GTFO thing prior to Jan 20th 2021. However I predict he will not run for re-election in 2024 but will continue to be a turd to the Glenn Beck degree. BTW - Biden will also not run for re-election so both the Democrats and Republicans will put up someone new (well not literally new).

both parties have for the last 60 years at least been pretty predictable in this regard:
either accidentally stumble into letting someone vaguely different and interesting grab the nomination, or insert the next boring-as-shit bran muffin political appointment who's "turn" it is to get to try to be president.
it seems kind of random which way they go with it, though more often than not it seems the bran muffins get trotted out to go up against incumbents and the vaguely unique ones get sparked after a double term is ending.
my prediction would be the next conservative will be an insider pick that gets trotted out to be the 'responsible' one that will 'make the GOP great again" - what's jeb bush doing these days? or maybe ted cruz.
I'll try to assess the candidates.
  • 1968: Richard Nixon (R): different, Hubert Humphrey (D): bran muffin
  • 1972: Richard Nixon (R): different, George McGovern (D): different
  • 1976: Jimmy Carter (D): different, Jerry Ford (R): bran muffin
  • 1980: Ronald Reagan (R): different, Jimmy Carter (D): different
  • 1984: Ronald Reagan (R): different, Walter Mondale (D): bran muffin
  • 1988: George Bush I (R): bran muffin, Mike Dukakis (D): bran muffin
  • 1992: Bill Clinton (D): different, George Bush I (R): bran muffin
  • 1996: Bill Clinton (D): different, Bob Dole (R): bran muffin
  • 2000: George Bush II (R): different, Al Gore (D): bran muffin
  • 2004: George Bush II (R): different, John Kerry (D): bran muffin
  • 2008: Barack Obama (D): different, John McCain (R): bran muffin
  • 2012: Barack Obama (D): different, Mitt Romney (R): bran muffin
  • 2016: Donald Trump (R): different, Hillary Clinton (D): bran muffin
  • 2020: Joe Biden (D): bran muffin, Donald Trump (R): different
Let's see about 2024.

On the Democratic side: Joe Biden: bran muffin, Kamala Harris: ?

On the Republican side: Ted Cruz: ?, Jeb Bush: bran muffin

I don't give a good god damn what's next for trump other than him doing that GTFO thing prior to Jan 20th 2021.

The problem I have is the amount of damage Trump can do before he gets tossed out.
Tom

He's dumb enough to think he can leave an even "greater" "legacy"' by using the military. He's more dangerous right now than ever before.

Or else Trump may do what several other politicians have done: support like-minded ones. Elizabeth Warren, Katie Hill, Katie Porter, Amy Vilela, AOC, ... have all done that.

But Trump may have too much of an ego for that. He might care if it's his children running for office, but anyone else?

What he really wants is the Putin treatment, to be able to leave office with a guarantee that he can never be prosecuted for any crimes. Putin will get it, and will get the chance to run again for the office. Trump is just squirming with jealousy because he admires Putin and Putin's authoritarianism.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the fat fucker will just get sick and die like other right wingers. Who knows...

I don't give a good god damn what's next for trump other than him doing that GTFO thing prior to Jan 20th 2021.

The problem I have is the amount of damage Trump can do before he gets tossed out.
Tom

I'd say I doubt he can do any more damage in 2 months than he was able to do since January 20, 2017 but I don't look forward to tasting my foot.

Tom

I'd say I doubt he can do any more damage in 2 months than he was able to do since January 20, 2017 but I don't look forward to tasting my foot.
Trump has now fired the head of homeland security’s cybersecurity dept., most likely over his analysis of the election https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/tru...ty-chief-chris-krebs-has-been-terminated.html

Opinion | The End of Trump’s Reign of Tweet Terror Is Near - The New York Times
In a late-night frenzy on Sunday, he typed, along with other lies, “I WON THE ELECTION.” It was quickly labeled by Twitter — as have many of Mr. Trump’s digital expressions of late — as inaccurate.

Watching Mr. Trump’s Twitter odyssey has been disturbing and unsettling. But I am here to tell you that the president’s tenure as troll in chief is at an ignominious end. Mr. Trump’s magic social media wand will soon be powerless.
Then mentioning the silence of QAnon's "source", Q, since the election.
Which is why it is not a stretch to imagine Trump acolytes will get weary of the president’s antics when they are no longer as much fun. And they will tire of them, too, because everyone eventually tires of online acts. Mr. Trump resembles a hot app or viral video or popular video game or cool start-up that can suddenly go ice-cold.

Do you remember Chatroulette? HQ Trivia? Myspace? FarmVille? Fab? Grumpy Cat?

In the old days of Rome, as Rome slid into barbarianism and the anarchic times, they had the bad emperors. Caligula, Egalabalus and Commodus, et al. We have had Reagan, Bush, and now Trump.

Don Jr. or someone even more extreme than him. The Republicans certainly aren't going to learn from their mistakes, they can only go more extreme from here.

Totally agree. Junior is perfectly poised. If Fat Bastard is still alive, he'll be at the rallies, too. (Parole permitting.) Imagine him in a wheelchair, doing the thumbs up. The Trumpies will think they've died and gone to heaven.

Back
Top Bottom