• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
He actually wasn’t doing that well in the primary, it’s just that the non Trump voters were split amongst the other candidates while his base remained fixed. Once he was becoming the candidate what were the conservatives to do? Let Hilary become
President? No, they held their noses and voted for Trump. Then they had to invent reasons to rationalize their own actions.
This is how I've pretty much seen it, a vote for the lesser of two evils from their perspective. The only candidate they will support otherwise is someone even more crazy. And this is a frightening realization, that they want someone even crazier than Orange. But if one looks at republican progression over the last couple decades, grassroots party favorites have become crazier and crazier. Their god is a lot crazier than the orange shitstain, frightening as that is, and they want their god in office.

Cute comparison here. The Antipope of Mar-a-Lago - POLITICO - "What a medieval religious schism can teach us about Donald Trump’s unprecedented and radically antagonistic approach to the ex-presidency."
The ousted leader refused to relent to reality.

Set against a backdrop of avarice and inequality and persistent sickness, distrust and misrule, the leader exploited and exacerbated societal unrest to seize and flaunt vast power—doing anything and everything he could to try to keep it in his grip. He resisted pleas for unity and calm. He tested the loyalty of even his most ardent and important establishment supporters. He was censured and then toppled. Still, though, he declined to consider even the smallest acquiescence. Besieged and increasingly isolated, he faded as he aged—but he never yielded. Some people believed he had no less than the blessing of God.

He was Benedict XIII—“the pope,” said Joëlle Rollo-Koster, a noted scholar of the Middle Ages, “who never conceded.”

Benedict, who died in 1423, was the last of the popes of Avignon, in what’s now the south of France. He was an “antipope”—in opposition, that is, to a sequence of popes presiding from the more customary hub of Rome—and insisted even as he was twice deposed that he remained the rightful pontiff. He tried to exert control from a fortress of a palace in a separate seat of power—propped up by a stubborn type of papal court, retaining sufficient political capital to pressure heads of states to pick sides, bestowing benedictions and other benefits and if nothing else gumming up earnest efforts to allay divides. Weary, irritated leaders, both religious and royal, “said, ‘You’re out, you’re out, you’re out,’” Rollo-Koster told me, “and he said, ‘No, I’m in, I’m in, I’m in.’”

Many House GOP members have turned on Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), the No. 3 Republican, for her vote to impeach Trump. Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a top Trump ally, went so far as to travel to Wyoming to campaign against her this week.

Legal Pressure on Trump Increases With Judge’s Order in Fraud Inquiry - The New York Times - "The order, answering a demand for documents by New York’s attorney general, rejected a bid to shield the records with attorney-client privilege."
A New York judge on Friday increased pressure on former President Donald J. Trump’s family business and several associates, ordering them to give state investigators documents in a civil inquiry into whether the company misstated assets to get bank loans and tax benefits.

It was the second blow that the judge, Arthur F. Engoron of State Supreme Court in Manhattan, had dealt to Mr. Trump’s company in recent weeks.
Let's see what comes of that. Will Trump face trial? Will he run off to Russia?

Nikki Haley breaks with Trump: 'We shouldn't have followed him' | TheHill
“I know how much people love Donald Trump. I know it. I feel it," she continued. "Whether it’s an RNC room or social media or talking to donors, I can tell you that the love they have for him is still very strong. That’s not going to just fall to the wayside.”

She went on to say, “Nor do I think the Republican Party is going to go back to the way it was before Donald Trump. I don’t think it should."

Instead, Haley argues, "what we need to do is take the good that he built, leave the bad that he did, and get back to a place where we can be a good, valuable, effective party. But at the same time, it’s bigger than the party."

"I hope our country can come together and figure out how we pull this back," she added.
noting
Nikki Haley’s Time for Choosing
Knowing that she did not believe Trump’s conspiracy theories, I asked Haley whether she had attempted to persuade the president that he was wrong—that the election wasn’t rigged, that he had lost legitimately.

“No,” she replied. “When he was talking about that, I didn’t address it.”

“I understand the president. I understand that genuinely, to his core, he believes he was wronged,” Haley told me. “This is not him making it up.”

But Trump was making it up. To date, there had been no discovery of material voting fraud.

“You have the president of the United States telling everyone that he was cheated, that the voting systems are corrupt, that we’re living in a banana republic where the deep state has rigged this election against him,” I told her. “Isn’t that dangerous?”

“He believes it,” she smiled.

“There’s nothing that you’re ever going to do that’s going to make him feel like he legitimately lost the election,” Haley said. “He’s got a big bully pulpit. He should be responsible with it.”

“Is he being responsible with it?” I asked.

“He believes it,” she replied.
She seems rather weaselly about Trump's misbehavior. Wanting to have it both ways, it seems.

This is the same Nikki Haley who said this:
Gov. Nikki Haley says Donald Trump’s behavior ‘unacceptable’ | Palmetto Politics | postandcourier.com - 2016 Feb 27
“Donald Trump is everything we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten,” Haley said. “We have seen behavior over and over again that is just unacceptable.”

Haley defended Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who has gone after Trump in recent days over a whole host of issues, saying the man she endorsed in South Carolina was right to go negative.

“I think what we saw from Marco is what we tell our children also: If a bully hits you, you hit back,” Haley said.
She would join "Little Marco" Rubio and "Lyin' Ted" Cruz as Trump sycophants.

From that Politico article, she did more.
In the 72 hours before South Carolina’s primary, Haley helped Rubio put on a rock concert across the state. The two of them were joined at events by Tim Scott, who had also endorsed Rubio. Here was the future of Republicanism—an Indian-American governor, a Black senator, a Cuban-American presidential candidate—joining forces to fight back against a frontrunner who was race-baiting and hate-mongering his way to the party’s nomination for president. Haley took this mission especially personally. “I wanted somebody,” she declared when endorsing Rubio, “that was going to go and show my parents that the best decision they ever made was coming to America.”

It didn’t do much good: Trump romped by double digits in the South Carolina primary, establishing himself as the overwhelming favorite in the race. At this point, Haley’s staff counseled her with caution. Trump was emerging as the inevitable Republican nominee. Continuing to promote Rubio at his expense, and sticking to policy contrasts, was one thing. But going after Trump personally, they told her, could prove ruinous to her career. Haley said she understood. But under the bright lights, she became incorrigible. She mocked his failed business ventures. She razzed him for not releasing his tax returns. She accused him of being “everything we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten.”

Most notably, Haley excoriated Trump for failing to denounce Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke. “We saw and looked at true hate in the eyes last year in Charleston,” Haley told an Atlanta crowd just before Super Tuesday. “I will not stop until we fight a man that chooses not to disavow the KKK. That is not a part of our party. That is not who we want as president.”

After bathing in a raucous ovation that lasted 25 seconds, Haley added, “That is not who our Republican Party is. That’s not who America is. When my parents came here, they came here because they knew there was love and acceptance in this country.”
Yet after that, she became a sycophantic supporter. Just like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Lindsey Graham, and others.

Ousted Autocratic Presidents and Their Backers in the Legislative Branch - Just Security - "What Other Countries Can Tell the United States About the Road Ahead"
Any hope that the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol would generate such a backlash that the president and extremist forces aligned with him would lose their political potency has eroded in the days since. Some of the most revealing signs of that come from within the building they attacked: the votes that same night by 147 Republicans in Congress to embrace Trump’s lies and reject the legitimate victory of President-elect Joe Biden, and the vote on Wednesday to impeach Trump, when 197 of 211 Republicans in the House of Representatives stuck by their man.

The willingness of these duly elected U.S. legislators to prop up President Donald Trump despite his election loss echoes patterns in countries caught in the widening global net of authoritarianism over the past three decades.

The actions of autocrats and hardliners in power or out in countries from Hungary to Colombia, from the Philippines to Sri Lanka to Russia, Belarus, Italy, and on to Chile, carry lessons that illuminate what might lie ahead for the United States, as Trump leaves office by Jan. 20. In each case, the autocrat often relies on and wields influence over hundreds of complicit members of national legislatures, regardless of whether the authoritarian leader is in power or has been ousted, sometimes to return again to office or help install his chosen successor down the line.
Then citing some examples, like in Sri Lanka.
In the next two years, that fear will be “multiplied by the specter of an ex-president with hundreds of millions of dollars in his war chest to harass them, and he’s a very vengeful man,” Galston said. “So they have every reason to believe that if they’ve crossed him, he will seek retribution.”
Seems like a return to the heyday of the Tea Party a decade ago. Will Trump threaten to sabotage the campaigns of Republicans who don't sufficiently support him?

Part of Trump’s potency is that his very rise to power reflected the sentiments of a significant portion of the Republican Party’s membership that had clashed for decades with its traditional elite leadership. The split represents increasing rural-urban and working class-business class divides that the party has never resolved, Galston noted.

“If you just look at raw numbers, the Republican Party has been the working-class party for a long time, but until very recently, it never behaved like a working-class party,” Galston said. “It behaved like a plutocrats’ party, and bought off the working class with a bunch of cultural issues.”

That allowed the business-oriented segments of the party to prevail on issues such as immigration, globalization, or the minimum wage, even though their positions didn’t really benefit the working-class factions, Galston notes. “Trump brought that game to an end,” he said.
So the Republican Party is not exactly one big happy family.

Can he run for President while incarcerated?
if the state's don't have 'not currently incarcerated' listed as a requirement for being put on the ballot, sure.
And if he attends the rallies by Zoom, they can put a business-suit filter over the prison jumpsuit.
Or maybe they highlight t he jumpsuit. "The Dems threw me in jail. You freedom loving gun owners are next!"
What happens if he wins again?
He is inaugurated in the prison cafeteria. He resigns in favor of his VP, Ivanka, Junior or Eric.
Who then pardons Trump senior.
And chooses him as their VP.
Then resigns.
Trump, a free man, takes office the same day his third impeachment is filed...

Seems like a return to the heyday of the Tea Party a decade ago. Will Trump threaten to sabotage the campaigns of Republicans who don't sufficiently support him?

I don't think that the heyday of the TeaParty was 10 years ago. It was when Trump squirmed into the White House.

He's the epitome of TeaParty politics.

Once the TeaParty took over the Republican Party, they could just call themselves Republicans. But they're not the Republicans I grew up with. No way would the Republicans of the 20th century support a greedy lying slut with no Christian credentials whatsoever. No way.

Tom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/02/12/once-impeachment-is-over-threat-trump-shifts-real-courtrooms/

As the Senate trial judging Donald Trump’s second impeachment got underway on Tuesday, his lead defense attorney, Bruce Castor, offered an unexpected rationale for setting the impeachment aside.
“There is no opportunity where the president of the United States can run rampant in January at the end of his term and just go away scot-free,” Castor said. “The Department of Justice does know what to do with such people.”
After all, if the president had committed crimes, “after he’s out of office, you go and arrest him,” he said.

Even if none of the many investigations mentioned in the WaPo article lead to imprisonment, hopefully, Trump will be very busy trying to find decent attorneys to defend him. People like him rarely end up in prison, but keeping him bogged down dealing with all kinds of legal problems might ensure that he will be a miserable man for the rest of his life. Considering his lifestyle and stress, I doubt he will be walking upright for too many more years. Then again, there have been times when he's exhibited early signs of dementia. Maybe that's what's next for Trump.

Can he run for President while incarcerated? What happens if he wins again?

I'm no expert,
but I understand that Trump's home state of Florida has very strict rules against felons voting. Convict him of something felonious, maybe in Georgia, and a really fun meme in 2024 will be a pic of a geezer swinging a golf club "Donald Trump Voting".
Tom

I don't think that the heyday of the TeaParty was 10 years ago. It was when Trump squirmed into the White House.

He's the epitome of TeaParty politics.

Once the TeaParty took over the Republican Party, they could just call themselves Republicans. But they're not the Republicans I grew up with. No way would the Republicans of the 20th century support a greedy lying slut with no Christian credentials whatsoever. No way.

Tom

True, in that REgan didn't seem particularly greedy and only very mildly slutty (he was, I think, the first divorced president).

Back
Top Bottom