• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
I was thinking someone like Tom Cotton - another dangerous extremist, but more intelligent than Trumpo.

His name alone will get the bigots quivering with anticipation.

Not just more intelligent, someone with more sense of reality, someone more level-headed, and someone more diligent. Mitch McConnell qualifies, and I marvel at how he can put up with Trump. Like saying "If it wasn't for your dad, you'd be a wino in the street."

Like when Denmark refused to sell Greenland to the US, Trump was so sore about it that he canceled a trip to that nation. If he had any sense, he ought to have recognized that nations don't usually sell territories to other nations, and that refusing to sell that territory was not some personal attack on him.

Not just more intelligent, someone with more sense of reality, someone more level-headed, and someone more diligent. Mitch McConnell qualifies, and I marvel at how he can put up with Trump. Like saying "If it wasn't for your dad, you'd be a wino in the street."

Like when Denmark refused to sell Greenland to the US, Trump was so sore about it that he canceled a trip to that nation. If he had any sense, he ought to have recognized that nations don't usually sell territories to other nations, and that refusing to sell that territory was not some personal attack on him.

Any disagreement IS a personal attack. He has the cognitive ability of a territorial dog. It is neither healthy nor safe to pretend that someone like Trumpo isn't going to bite. Unfortunately it isn't considered civil to clock him with a 2x4 when his behavior warrants. He's always gotten his way and he's too old to change.

I was obviously premature in starting this thread back in November, but maybe it is time to resurrect it. So what's next? I think that it will be a while before any criminal charges are filed...white collar criminal investigations seem to take a long, long time. I expect civil suits to be filed much more quickly, some related to the insurrection. Will he follow through with starting his own news network? Or political party? The latter may depend on if the Senate convicts him and bans him from future office, but I'm not confident that they will do so. They don't care about justice, only the next election cycle. And is his "brand" totally destroyed and he'll have to liquidate whatever remaining assets he has?

Shortly after his election I didn't care what happened to him in his private life as long as he was removed from office for his campaign law violations and obstruction of justice (“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.” - Robert Mueller). But I've grown to hope that he will feel the full force of the law, if only to keep something like this from happening again.

Will he follow through with starting his own news network?
That requires money. Lots of money tied into significant assets. No one's gonna loan him shit right now. Future too unsettled.
Or political party?
That he could do. Get the misdesirables to send in money, print up yard signs, apply everywhere for every office. Grandiose plans snd promises.
The latter may depend on if the Senate convicts him and bans him from future office, but I'm not confident that they will do so.
oh, that would be perfect for the Patriot Party candidate.

The only plank in Ivanka's platform, i need to be President so i can repeal my father's impeachment and make him President again!
A vote for me is a vote for Daddy!

That requires money. Lots of money tied into significant assets. No one's gonna loan him shit right now. Future too unsettled. That he could do. Get the misdesirables to send in money, print up yard signs, apply everywhere for every office. Grandiose plans snd promises.
The latter may depend on if the Senate convicts him and bans him from future office, but I'm not confident that they will do so.
oh, that would be perfect for the Patriot Party candidate.

The only plank in Ivanka's platform, i need to be President so i can repeal my father's impeachment and make him President again!

He'll run Stve Bannon or Don Jr. or even Ivanka if he himself is barred from running as Pres

That requires money. Lots of money tied into significant assets. No one's gonna loan him shit right now.
Yeah, it's gonna take money, a whole lotta spending money, it's gonna take plenty of money, to do it right. And It's gonna take time, whole lot of precious time, it's gonna take patience and time. To do it right, that is. Trump has a lot of debt, lots of assets tied into building he can't just offload, and at the moment, a level of apathy that is remarkably large. He doesn't fucking care about anything but his ego and bottom line. It isn't like the guy had vision.

But the true trouble with Trump starting a media company is that it doesn't give him what he wants... adoring crowds hooting and hollering for him. So no media company.

Can we just get a restraining order in court for the District of Columbia for any Trump?

Eytan Wallace on Twitter: "The office of former Pres. Donald J. Trump just released this picture of the former president with @GOPLeader Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield). The two met in Florida to discuss “many topics, number one of which was taking back the House in 2022,” per the former president’s office. (pic link)" / Twitter

Trump still wants to be in politics, it seems.

Sahil Kapur on Twitter: ".@GOPLeader met with Trump today. He says the former president "committed to helping elect Republicans in the House and Senate in 2022." (pix link)" / Twitter
"House Republicans and the Trump administration achieved historic results for all Americans. We were able to do this because we listened to and understood the concerns of our fellow citizens that had long been ignored. As a result, House Republicans defied the experts and the media by expanding our growing coalition across the country.

"Today, President Trump committed to helping elect Republicans in the House and Senate in 2022.A Republican majority will listen to our fellow Americans and solve the challenges facing our nation. Democrats, on the other hand, have only put forward an agenda that divides us - such as impeaching a President who is now a private citizen and destroying blue-collar energy jobs. For the sake of our country, the radical Democrat agenda must be stopped.

"A united conservative movement will strengthen the bonds of our citizens and uphold the freedoms our country was founded on."

McCarthy’s big problems - POLITICO
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is meeting with Donald Trump in Florida today to smooth things over, but that’s just one of the issues he’s trying to fix. He’s also attempting to keep House Republicans from attacking each other publicly after a contentious impeachment vote and mend relationships with donors after businesses hit pause on their corporate PACs over the GOP’s anti-certification vote.

And on top of all that, he has a new freshman member creating a major headache over her past social media posts.
Marjorie Taylor Greene

McCarthy Seeks Thaw With Trump as G.O.P. Rallies Behind Former President - The New York Times - "The top House Republican met with former President Donald J. Trump, working to mend fences after saying that Mr. Trump bore responsibility for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol."
It was the latest evidence that top Republicans, many of whom harshly criticized Mr. Trump after the assault, have quickly swung back into line behind him and are courting his support as he faces a second impeachment trial.

While Mr. McCarthy, Republican of California, voted against the impeachment article, Mr. Trump was infuriated by the speech that he delivered just before doing so, advisers said.

Aides to both men have been trying to broker a thaw between the two ever since, even as Mr. Trump has targeted other Republicans who criticized him more harshly for his role in the Capitol breach and voted in favor of impeaching him. They included Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican, who joined nine others in the party who voted in support of impeaching Mr. Trump on a charge of “incitement of insurrection.”
Ick.

McCarthy Seeks Thaw With Trump as G.O.P. Rallies Behind Former President - The New York Times - "The top House Republican met with former President Donald J. Trump, working to mend fences after saying that Mr. Trump bore responsibility for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol."
It was the latest evidence that top Republicans, many of whom harshly criticized Mr. Trump after the assault, have quickly swung back into line behind him and are courting his support as he faces a second impeachment trial.

While Mr. McCarthy, Republican of California, voted against the impeachment article, Mr. Trump was infuriated by the speech that he delivered just before doing so, advisers said.

Aides to both men have been trying to broker a thaw between the two ever since, even as Mr. Trump has targeted other Republicans who criticized him more harshly for his role in the Capitol breach and voted in favor of impeaching him. They included Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 Republican, who joined nine others in the party who voted in support of impeaching Mr. Trump on a charge of “incitement of insurrection.”
Ick.
This is incredibly disturbing. We wanted that fuckface to fall off the face of the Earth and the GOP is appointing him Faux Head of the GOP. A half million dead soon from Covid-19, an incited insurrection where his supporters chanted to "hang Mike Pence", and the reality that he didn't have a plan for any sort of agenda... and he is the Godfather of the GOP?!

We have to face it that the Trump base is going to be around, and they will gravitate to candidates who are as toxic as T, but hopefully without T's advanced rabble rousing skills. Thank Zeus, Mr. Ed, and Hostess Twinkies that they are far short of 50%.

We have to face it that the Trump base is going to be around, and they will gravitate to candidates who are as toxic as T, but hopefully without T's advanced rabble rousing skills. Thank Zeus, Mr. Ed, and Hostess Twinkies that they are far short of 50%.
The trouble is that we saw in 2020, that regardless of how things went between 2017 and 2020, the conservatives in America voted for the race and class baiting imbecile over the moderate establishment candidate.

The conservatives almost in whole voted for Trump, despite Trump not being remotely conservative. Our country is toast.

The conservatives almost in whole voted for Trump, despite Trump not being remotely conservative.
This is the part of the Trump candidacy that freaked me out.

Trump is no more conservative than he is Christian. How anybody who identified as Christian conservative could support him blew my mind. Especially when their were actual conservative Christian candidates, like Cruz and Kasich, fighting desperately and with the staunch backing of the GOP! Even after true Christian conservatives like Romney dropped out and started calling Trump out on his deceit and lack of character or credentials.

What little respect I had for American conservatives as a group really started circling the drain.
Tom

The conservatives almost in whole voted for Trump, despite Trump not being remotely conservative.
This is the part of the Trump candidacy that freaked me out.

Trump is no more conservative than he is Christian. How anybody who identified as Christian conservative could support him blew my mind. Especially when their were actual conservative Christian candidates, like Cruz and Kasich, fighting desperately and with the staunch backing of the GOP! Even after true Christian conservatives like Romney dropped out and started calling Trump out on his deceit and lack of character or credentials.

What little respect I had for American conservatives as a group really started circling the drain.
Tom

He packed the courts with Federalist Society screened judges. That's what he did for religious conservatives. I read somewhere recently that 33% of all Federal judges are Trump appointees. Anti-abortion, anti-Gay, anti-civil rights radical right wing judges. That's what he did for them. They sold their souls if you will for that. Whey were unconcerned that he took a wrecking ball to everything else and they don't care.

He actually wasn’t doing that well in the primary, it’s just that the non Trump voters were split amongst the other candidates while his base remained fixed. Once he was becoming the candidate what were the conservatives to do? Let Hilary become
President? No, they held their noses and voted for Trump. Then they had to invent reasons to rationalize their own actions.

He actually wasn’t doing that well in the primary, it’s just that the non Trump voters were split amongst the other candidates while his base remained fixed. Once he was becoming the candidate what were the conservatives to do? Let Hilary become
President? No, they held their noses and voted for Trump. Then they had to invent reasons to rationalize their own actions.
Even when it was down to Kasich and Cruz, Trump continued winning. Which was odd, because Kasich had a pedigree for the White House.

Then they did it again in 2020 with Biden, so it wasn't HIlary being HIlary. They refused to vote for a Democrat because of SCOTUS and the courts, country be damned..

Back
Top Bottom