• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged

The former president then accused prosecutors of going after him while they turned a blind eye to violent crime.

"This Witch Hunt has cost NYC $millions & $millions at a time when violent crime in New York has reached an all time high," Trump wrote, despite the fact that violent crime in New York City is nowhere close to the highs experienced in the 1980s and 1990s. "Went through 8 million pages of Documents and found NOTHING. Focus on MURDER!!!"

Think the justice system needs to investigate murders and not Hunter Biden's laptop? The rantings of a desparate clown.

I still haven't given up on my fantasy of Trump being Speaker. The scenario could play out like this - the GOP goes to Trump and doubles down on their threat that they stop paying his legal fees if he continues running for President. But they can't hurt his feelings so they offer him Speaker as a consolation prize. He'll grab it with both hands as it would likely piss of Pelosi and McCarthy and Trump can't be anything but a vindictive cunt. This also removes any obstacles for De Satan when he runs so basically everybody wins.

What can I say? I would really really love it if Trump becomes Speaker.
Speaker would actually be work. He shys from that sort of thing.

Speaker would actually be work. He shys from that sort of thing.
The important thing is how it would own the libs. Trump doesn’t do work; he doesn’t have to. I think it would be perfect for him.

Yeah they could just make him a figurehead speaker if they wanted, it's not like he worked hard when he was president neither.

But I would guess the GOP House members are too ambitious on their own to let that happen.

"So, with the revelation of MASSIVE & WIDESPREAD FRAUD & DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC, & the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great 'Founders' did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections
- Donald J. Trump

We don't need no steenking Constitution! It looks like Von Clownstick has become an embaressment for the GOP. Republican politicians are being asked if they will repudiate Trump's claims that the Constitution is expendable to reinstate him as president. This is pretty demented.

"Then I have an Article II, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president. "
- Donald Trump - July 23, 2019

So, does Joe Biden get to do what ever he wants? Can Biden declare Trump is a lawless traitor forbidden to run for president again?

Donald Trump Calls to Suspend U.S. Constitution and Throw Out the Results of the 2020 Election. Have We Become Immune to How Radical and Dangerous This is? - Election Law Blog
noting
Matt Fuller on Twitter: "Just some casual Saturday treason. (pic link)" / Twitter
with a screenshot of this Truth Social message from Donald Trump:
So, with the revelation of MASSIVE & WIDESPREAD FRAUD & DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC, & the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great "Founders" did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!

Trump calls for the termination of the Constitution in Truth Social post | CNN Politics
White House spokesman Andrew Bates said Saturday that Trump’s remarks are “anathema to the soul of our nation, and should be universally condemned.”

“You cannot only love America when you win,” Bates said in a statement. “The American Constitution is a sacrosanct document that for over 200 years has guaranteed that freedom and the rule of law prevail in our great country. The Constitution brings the American people together – regardless of party – and elected leaders swear to uphold it. It’s the ultimate monument to all of the Americans who have given their lives to defeat self-serving despots that abused their power and trampled on fundamental rights.”

and

Liz Cheney on Twitter: "Donald Trump believes we should terminate “all rules, regulations and articles, even those found in the Constitution” to overturn the 2020 election. That was his view on 1/6 and remains his view today. No honest person can now deny that Trump is an enemy of the Constitution." / Twitter

Trump's call to suspend Constitution not a 2024 deal-breaker, leading House Republican says - ABC News
Dave Joyce R-OH, the head of the Republican Governance Group in the House:
Joyce initially declined to respond, saying he didn't know what Trump said on social media and that the public wasn't "interested in looking backwards." But Stephanopoulos pressed further, and Joyce ultimately said that Trump's comment should be taken "in context" but that it wouldn't prevent him from supporting Trump if he ends up winning the nomination.

"It's early. I think there's going to be a lot of people in the primary ... [but] I will support whoever the Republican nominee is," Joyce said while noting he didn't think Trump would manage to win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination because there are "a lot of other good quality candidates out there."

"That's a remarkable statement," Stephanopoulos said. "You just said you'd support a candidate who's come out for suspending the Constitution."

"Well, you know, he says a lot of things," Joyce said, adding, "I can't be really chasing every one of these crazy statements that come from any of these candidates."

"You can't come out against someone who's for suspending the Constitution?" Stephanopoulos pushed back once again.

"He says a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that it's ever going to happen. So you got to [separate] fact from fantasy -- and fantasy is that we're going to suspend the Constitution and go backwards. We're moving forward," Joyce said.

Trump rebuked for call to suspend Constitution over election | AP News
House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries:
“Republicans are going to have to work out their issues with the former president and decide whether they’re going to break from him and return to some semblance of reasonableness or continue to lean in to the extremism, not just of Trump, but Trumpism,” Jeffries said.
Some Republicans also criticized Trump.
Asked about Trump’s comments Sunday, Rep. Mike Turner of Ohio, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said he “vehemently” disagrees and “absolutely” condemns the remarks, saying they should be a factor as Republicans decide who should lead their party in 2024.

“There is a political process that has to go forward before anybody is a frontrunner or anybody is even the candidate for the party,” he said. “I believe that people certainly are going to take into consideration a statement like this as they evaluate a candidate.”

Rep.-elect Mike Lawler, R-New York, also objected to the remarks, saying it was time to stop focusing on the “grievances of prior elections.”

“The Constitution is set for a reason, to protect the rights of every American,” Lawler said. “I think the former president would be well-advised to focus on the future, if he is going to run for president again.”

Republicans mostly silent on Trump call to suspend Constitution
As party leaders remained silent, a few Republicans on Sunday rejected Donald Trump's extraordinary suggestion for "termination" of the U.S. Constitution and his installation as president.

"This is what kills my party right now," said former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, a Republican who is considering a 2024 presidential campaign against Trump and spoke on ABC's "This Week."

Will the company be forcefully disbanded? Made to sell its assets? Is Mar A Lago owned by the Trump org?

That would be delicious if Mar A Lardo had to sell Mar A Lago.

$1m fine (that he might or might not pay).
Not even a slap on the wrist.

Here in one hour, the January 6 Committee is scheduled to announce their recommendations for DOJ prosecutions for the January 6 Insurrection and related activities.

With the release of hs taxes we know what we always suspected. He was a terrible businessman. He was loosing money by te bucket and selling assets to stay afloat.

He needs to run for president so he skim campaign contributions.

Hope Hicks was once one of Trump's closest confidantes. Less than 2 years later, she testified that her former boss told her that no one would care about his legacy if he lost the 2020 election.
In the book "The Divider: Trump in the White House, 2017-2021," published in September, Hicks reportedly told Trump it was time to move on.

"Trump responded bitterly. 'Well, Hope doesn't believe in me,' he would say in meetings," New York Times chief White House correspondent Peter Baker and New Yorker staff writer and CNN global affairs analyst Susan Glasser wrote in their book.

"'No, I don't,' she would reply. 'Nobody's convinced me otherwise,'" they continued. "She concluded any further efforts to try to steer Trump would simply be, as she told an associate, 'a waste of time.'"
Shows how much he is willing to accept bad news.
On December 19, the January 6 House select committee presented her videotaped testimony, in which she revealed Trump's response to his advisers and aides pleading him to change his messaging after the 2020 election.

"I was becoming increasingly concerned that we were damaging his legacy," Hicks said.

"What did the president say in response to what you just described?" an off-camera voice asks Hicks in the video clip.

She responded: "He said something along the lines of, 'Nobody will care about my legacy if I lose, so that won't matter. The only thing that matters is winning.'"
When I learned of that, I thought "Hasn't he ever heard of JFK?" JFK was President while Trump was in his teens, so he may have had a chance to learn about him and how his Presidency was remembered -- and promoted.

How Jackie Kennedy Invented Camelot Myth Just One Week After JFK's Assassination - "Just days after JFK's assassination, Jackie Kennedy crafted a glittering fairytale about his presidency that would captivate the nation for decades to come"
On Nov. 29, 1963, four days after her husband’s burial, the widowed mother of two invited Life magazine journalist Theodore H. White to the Kennedy family compound in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. There, Jackie, then just 34, crafted a glittering fairytale about JFK’s 1,000 days in the White House that continues to captivate the nation. The inspiration? JFK’s favorite Broadway musical, Camelot — the story of mythical world, ruled by King Arthur, where goodness reigned supreme.

“Don’t let it be forgot, that for one brief, shining moment there was Camelot,” Jackie told White, quoting from the musical.

“She wanted to be sure he was remembered as a great President,” her longtime Secret Service agent Clint Hill, who was present for the interview and shared his memories of the First Lady in his 2012 memoir Mrs. Kennedy and Me, tells PEOPLE.
Seems like that's what Donald Trump and his admirers want to believe about his presidency. Yet Trump continues to be a grumpy sore loser.

Jan. 6 panel prepares to unveil final report on insurrection
An 800-page report set to be released by House investigators will conclude that then-President Donald Trump criminally plotted to overturn his 2020 election defeat and “provoked his supporters to violence” at the Capitol with false claims of widespread voter fraud.

The resulting Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection of Trump's followers threatened democracy with “horrific” brutality toward law enforcement and “put the lives of American lawmakers at risk,” according to the report's executive summary.

“The central cause of January 6th was one man, former President Donald Trump, who many others followed,” reads the report from the House Jan. 6 committee, which is expected to be released in full on Thursday. “None of the events of January 6th would have happened without him.”

The massive, damning report comes as Trump is running again for the presidency and also facing multiple federal investigations, including probes of his role in the insurrection and the presence of classified documents at his Florida estate. A House committee is expected to release his tax returns in the coming days — documents he has fought for years to keep private. And he has been blamed by Republicans for a worse-than-expected showing in the midterm elections, leaving him in his most politically vulnerable state since he won the 2016 election.
Criminal charges?
House Jan. 6 committee recommends criminal charges against Trump
Lawmakers recommended charges on four counts stemming from Trump’s monthslong effort to stay in power after his election defeat — obstruction of an official proceeding, conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to make a false statement and efforts to incite, assist, or aid or comfort an insurrection.
Which of these charges will the Justice Department investigate?

Donald Trump may hope that he can become elected again before he gets tried on any of these charges, but that will require a *lot* of obstruction by his lawyers.

I recall an article from a few years back on how Trump has had difficulty recruiting lawyers to support his positions.

One of them was that Trump tends to stiff his contractors. He even stiffs his lawyers.

Another one was that Trump is not very good at following instructions by his lawyers, like not saying anything about anything under litigation without his lawyers first clearing his statements.

Back
Top Bottom