• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Cheney is the latest victim of conservative cancel culture as she’s reportedly on the verge of losing her position as conference chair, the number three Republican in the House, due to her criticism of the former president.

But Graham wasn’t all that sympathetic to her plight.

“Can we move forward without President Trump? The answer is no,” he said on Fox News on Thursday night. “I’ve always liked Liz Cheney, but she’s made the determination that the Republican Party can’t grow with President Trump. I’ve determined we can’t grow without him.”

On MSNBC, above, commentator Jason Johnson of Morgan State University said Graham was singing a familiar tune.

“He sounds like a ’90s R&B singer, like, ’I can’t go on, I can’t imagine my future without you,” Johnson said. “As usual, Lindsey Graham has about as much political integrity and stability as a weather vane.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lindsey-graham-trump-future_n_6094c57ce4b0f73e530b56d0?fbclid=IwAR1Bx6JY0g5QX6bo3JS_o2wc0RhH2l7G5FGhDNfnavKF62XA4J4CtPbHp-w

Cheney is the latest victim of conservative cancel culture as she’s reportedly on the verge of losing her position as conference chair, the number three Republican in the House, due to her criticism of the former president.

But Graham wasn’t all that sympathetic to her plight.

“Can we move forward without President Trump? The answer is no,” he said on Fox News on Thursday night. “I’ve always liked Liz Cheney, but she’s made the determination that the Republican Party can’t grow with President Trump. I’ve determined we can’t grow without him.”

On MSNBC, above, commentator Jason Johnson of Morgan State University said Graham was singing a familiar tune.

“He sounds like a ’90s R&B singer, like, ’I can’t go on, I can’t imagine my future without you,” Johnson said. “As usual, Lindsey Graham has about as much political integrity and stability as a weather vane.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lindsey-graham-trump-future_n_6094c57ce4b0f73e530b56d0?fbclid=IwAR1Bx6JY0g5QX6bo3JS_o2wc0RhH2l7G5FGhDNfnavKF62XA4J4CtPbHp-w
A weather vain may spin around, and back and forth, but it is still moored to post upon which it pivots...

How Trump is hunting down the GOP’s leading families - POLITICO
In his attempt to exercise full dominion over the Republican Party, Donald Trump has reserved a special fury for the dynasties that helped shape it.

In the civil war between Donald Trump and the GOP’s waning establishment, no Republican has crossed the former president and come out ahead.

Yet as Rep. Liz Cheney’s likely ouster from House leadership lays bare, Trump has reserved a special fury for the scions of the GOP’s leading families in his attempt to exercise full dominion over the Republican Party.

Whether it’s the Cheneys, the Bushes or the lesser bloodlines — such as the Romneys or the Murkowskis — Trump has been relentless in his efforts to force them to bend the knee. Even Cindy McCain, the widow of the late Sen. John McCain — who herself has never run for office — has been knocked down, censured by Trump allies who run the state Republican Party in Arizona.

It’s the clearest sign that the modern Republican Party hasn’t just broken with its traditionalist past. It’s shredding every vestige of it.
Trump was born on 1946 Jun 14, and that means that he was in his early 20's in the late 1960's. His adult years thus overlap with the careers of:
  • Dick Cheney (1941-), his daughter Liz (1966-)
  • George Bush I (1924-2018), his sons George II (1946-) and Jeb (1953-)
  • George Romney (1907-1995), his son Mitt (1947-)
  • Frank Murkowski (1933-), his daughter Lisa (1957-)
  • John McCain (1936-2018), his wife Cindy (1954-) and daughter Meghan (1984-)
Trump’s erasure of the institutions of the pre-Trump GOP was, of course, the promise of his presidency — his anti-establishment fervor a feature of Trumpism, not a bug. Long before Trump ran for office, he publicly criticized Ronald Reagan, called Pat Buchanan a “Hitler lover,” and wrote of the Bush family in 2013 that “we need another Bush in office about as much as we need Obama to have a 3rd term.”

Even so, Trump’s feats of political engineering — his felling of family legacies that once defined the party — are remarkable. He has almost single-handedly managed to sever the Bush family line, brutalizing “low energy” Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor, in the 2016 primary and depriving the Bush dynasty of a third presidential nominee. Once in office, Trump even described himself as a “far greater” president than Reagan.
About Utah GOP vs. Sen. Mitt Romney, he wrote “So nice to see RINO Mitt Romney booed off the stage at the Utah Republican State Convention. They are among the earliest to have figured this guy out, a stone cold loser!”

About Sen. Lisa Murkowski, she was “a disloyal and very bad Senator” for voting for his impeachment.

He calls Liz Cheney a "warmonger".

Trump himself, however, is not averse to dynastic politics — that is, if it involves his own family. The former president’s children are fixtures in the MAGA world and could have political futures. Lara Trump, Trump’s daughter-in-law, has considered running for a U.S. Senate seat in North Carolina, and Donald Trump Jr. is liked by activists enough that he finished a distant third in a 2024 presidential straw poll run without his father’s name on the ballot at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February. Ivanka Trump drew frequent mention as a prospective primary opponent to Florida Sen. Marco Rubio until passing on a bid earlier this year.

Trump’s former campaign manager Brad Parscale once predicted the Trumps would become “a dynasty that will last for decades.”

But that’s a Trump dynasty. The old dynasties — the ones that were rooted in an ideological or governance brand, rather than in a style or personality — have been torched.
He also targets a Republican that many of his fellow Republicans consider a great hero, and someone that they follow.

Trump: People would say I'm 'far greater than Ronald Reagan' if my name weren't Trump | TheHill

What a megalomaniac.

The members of these families whose political careers have survived have all had to become Trumpies, even if it means breaking with the rest of their families.
George P. Bush, Jeb Bush’s son, is still a viable politician in Texas, the Trump-supporting state where Bush is the state land commissioner. But that would likely not be the case if he hadn’t split with much of his family and endorsed the former president.

Mitt Romney’s niece, Ronna McDaniel, the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, is in Trump’s good graces. But she had to break with her uncle’s criticism of him — and jettison the family name — to stay there.

The modern GOP, George W. Bush told NBC’s “Today” show earlier this month, is “isolationist, protectionist, and to a certain extent, nativist.”

“It’s not exactly my vision,” Bush said. “But, you know, I’m just an old guy they put out to pasture.

FLORIDA OFFICIALS ARE “ACTIVELY” PREPARING FOR THE POSSIBILITY TRUMP WILL BE INDICTED AT MAR-A-LAGO

Six months after losing the 2020 election, Donald Trump is facing what can only be described as a rip-roaringly hilarious number of legal issues, an official designation law scholars tell us only applies to the history’s foremost accused crooks. He’s been sued 29 times and counting. He’s the subject of at least three criminal investigations. His personal attorney’s apartment and office were raided last month, and his ex-personal lawyer has predicted the guy will “absolutely” turn on Trump to avoid a lengthy sentence. Thanks to his last attorney general, the Biden Justice Department could charge him with obstructing the Mueller investigation.

But the most pressing issue is obviously the criminal investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who, among other things, has Trump’s tax returns in his hands; a trove of documents that could be used to get his longtime CFO to flip; the expertise of an outside forensic accounting firm; and Mark Pomerantz, a veteran prosecutor known for helping put white-collar criminals behind bars, including ones connected to the mob. Earlier this week, former U.S. attorney Preet Bharara told Slate that he sees a “decent likelihood” of Trump being charged and according to a new report, local Florida officials do too.

Per Politico:

Law enforcement officials in Palm Beach County, Fla., have actively prepared for the possibility that Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance could indict former President Donald Trump while he’s at Mar-a-Lago, according to two high-ranking county officials involved in planning sessions. Among the topics discussed in those meetings: how to handle the thorny extradition issues that could arise if an indictment moves forward.

An obscure clause in Florida’s statute on interstate extradition gives Gov. Ron DeSantis the ability to intervene and even investigate whether an indicted “person ought to be surrendered” to law enforcement officials from another state—which means that as Mar-a-Lago prepares to close down for the season and Trump relocates to Bedminster, N.J., it isn’t just the Florida heat he’s leaving behind: He could lose a key piece of political protection.

“The statute leaves room for interpretation that the governor has the power to order a review and potentially not comply with the extradition notice,” Joe Abruzzo, Palm Beach County’s Circuit Court clerk, told Politico. (Abruzzo would be the person in charge of opening a potential “fugitive-at-large case” against Trump, should one be necessary.)

It sounds like Vance has enough to charge. (Does he need grand jury indictment? He could have one already and be keeping it secret, right?)
... but is waiting until Trump relocates to NJ. Perhaps we will see Trump greeted with handcuffs at the NJ airport.

It sounds like Vance has enough to charge. (Does he need grand jury indictment? He could have one already and be keeping it secret, right?)
... but is waiting until Trump relocates to NJ. Perhaps we will see Trump greeted with handcuffs at the NJ airport.

If Trump wants to go somewhere, he will probably have to rent a small plane and go VFR, puddle jumping to get wherever he's going.
It's a bitch only having big jets, and everyone knowing who they belong to...

If Trump wants to go somewhere, he will probably have to rent a small plane and go VFR, puddle jumping to get wherever he's going.

Trump One has been sitting idle since 2019 in NY, slowly degrading in a wet environment...not a good place to store a modern plane, but then again it will take some $$ to get it moved to the desert. Funny problem for a purported billionaire.

https://simpleflying.com/donald-trump-boeing-757/
As of today, the 757 remains stranded in Stewart, north of New York. The almost 30-year-old aircraft is still in need of an engine, a Rolls-Royce RB211, to get it ferried for maintenance. All that costs money, and it doesn’t seem to be an investment Trump is keen to make right now.

Trump One has been sitting idle since 2019 in NY, slowly degrading in a wet environment...not a good place to store a modern plane, but then again it will take some $$ to get it moved to the desert. Funny problem for a purported billionaire.

https://simpleflying.com/donald-trump-boeing-757/
As of today, the 757 remains stranded in Stewart, north of New York. The almost 30-year-old aircraft is still in need of an engine, a Rolls-Royce RB211, to get it ferried for maintenance. All that costs money, and it doesn’t seem to be an investment Trump is keen to make right now.

You could probably buy it for a few grand... Trump sure as hell can't use it again. At least not until some trumpsucking Republican can get elected and return the DOJ to the corrupt state in which he left it.
Imagine him getting on that plane, knowing there's a good chance he'll be greeted by handcuffs wherever it lands... not gonna happen.

Think he could maintain a license???

Think he could maintain a license???

Isn't his travel still funded by taxpayers?

Does not permitting extradition to another state apply to the feds?

Does not permitting extradition to another state apply to the feds?

No. It’s up to the state where the criminal is located.

That's the present situation, but couldn't Congress pass a law that allows some federal agency (FBI) to assist with state arrests?

Anyway, aren't many of the likely Manhattan charges related to tax evasion? How difficult or time-consuming would it be to turn those into federal tax evasion cases?

The context was renting a small plane--seems like the idea is he would be flying himself. That requires a pilot's license.

Or just renting a plane and pilot. You know this can be done, Right?

I think if you have a license sufficient to carry paid passengers you have to be IFR qualified.

The context was renting a small plane--seems like the idea is he would be flying himself. That requires a pilot's license.

Or just renting a plane and pilot. You know this can be done, Right?

I think if you have a license sufficient to carry paid passengers you have to be IFR qualified.

Doesn’t mean you have to file a flight plan for VFR trips though. Does it?*
And this is Trump anyhow. He won’t pay in any event - at least not above the table.

* I remember paying a fried of a friend to fly me cross country in a Cessna 150 years ago. No flight plan. Even landed in someone’s cornfield one night...

Back
Top Bottom