• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So when does it stop being 'PC' and start being 'Common Decency'

I think "chink" is the more PC term these days. Please adjust your Liberal Lexicon accordingly.

Also, there is a difference in usage of "Asian" between US and UK.

I am beginning to become somewhat aware of that difference in usage, but I am not sure why the non-PC crowd around here is trying to browbeat me into using their PC European phrasing in place of the correct terminology.

The "Asians" that raped those kids were mostly Pakistani. The rug-peer was "Asian" in the US sense.

Thanks for the correction. I will henceforth refer to people from the Middle East as "Asian Europeans" to avoid any possible misunderstanding.

Good news! Yours is the sort of ignorance that can be entirely cured by googling "map of Asia"!

Let's not be coy. When people say "Asia" they are referring to the orient and east/south-east Asia specifically. As per the term "Commonly defined" Nobody thinks "Asia" when they think of Iran.

WTF? This is simply not true. You are entitled to your own ignorance and delusions, but your are not entitled attribute them to all people everywhere.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/asia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

When did the Trump campaign try to tell people how to speak, act with each other, or regulate public and private life?

Throughout the campaign. It was deplorable. (Ring a bell?)
Actually the Trumpsters loved being called deplorable. They adopted the name and wore t-shirts emblazoned with it proudly proclaiming themselves as "the deplorables".

It was the opposite of what the PC crowd do. They insist that any word they find offensive to never be uttered or written.

Also, there is a difference in usage of "Asian" between US and UK.

I am beginning to become somewhat aware of that difference in usage, but I am not sure why the non-PC crowd around here is trying to browbeat me into using their PC European phrasing in place of the correct terminology.

The "Asians" that raped those kids were mostly Pakistani. The rug-peer was "Asian" in the US sense.

Thanks for the correction. I will henceforth refer to people from the Middle East as "Asian Europeans" to avoid any possible misunderstanding.

Are just call them all Eurasians just to piss them off. What are they gonna do? Say you're wrong?

Good news! Yours is the sort of ignorance that can be entirely cured by googling "map of Asia"!

Let's not be coy. When people say "Asia" they are referring to the orient and east/south-east Asia specifically. As per the term "Commonly defined" Nobody thinks "Asia" when they think of Iran.
You are generally right if you are talking about people in the US. Someone in the US hearing someone described as Asian first thinks Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. however, someone in the UK or Germany first thinks of Indian, Pakistani, Syrian, etc.

I have Indian friends who always object to me calling myself, and not them, Asian. They are after all technically Asian too.

You are generally right if you are talking about people in the US. Someone in the US hearing someone described as Asian first thinks Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. however, someone in the UK or Germany first thinks of Indian, Pakistani, Syrian, etc.

Hmm. Alright point taken then.

Yes, freaking Americans and their boorish insensitivity to other cultures.

Next he'll be railing about how everyone spells it "color" or "theater" and asking for ketchup with his steak.

I have Indian friends who always object to me calling myself, and not them, Asian. They are after all technically Asian too.

I mean if we're really being technical, they're Eurasians. "Europe" and "Asia" are intellectual constructs that do not fit the requirements to be considered in themselves continents.

I mean if we're really being technical, they're Eurasians. "Europe" and "Asia" are intellectual constructs that do not fit the requirements to be considered in themselves continents.

You really can't get your head around the idea there can be both a Eurasia and an Asia?

When people tell you their from Seattle do you respond "No, technically you are from North America?"

You really can't get your head around the idea there can be both a Eurasia and an Asia?

When people tell you their from Seattle do you respond "No, technically you are from North America?"

Seattle is a city

Europe is a region of dubiously defined borders based primarily on ethnicity.

S'all I'm saying.

Technically they are from Cascadia.

But technically you can't be from Cascadia because it is part of something bigger, which also might technically be part of something bigger. I went with North America because I don't know the name for the combination of North America and South America, which technically are connected. If you threw out the connected land mass constraint on bigness technically you could say they were technically from Earth. Or, technically the solar system. Or, technically the Milky Way.

Seattle is a city

S'all I'm saying.

Europe is quite well defined these days. Again, google can help.

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Europe is the ass end of Asia. It is not a separate continent.

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

See bold.

Technically they are from Cascadia.

But technically you can't be from Cascadia because it is part of something bigger, which also might technically be part of something bigger. I went with North America because I don't know the name for the combination of North America and South America, which technically are connected. If you threw out the connected land mass constraint on bigness technically you could say they were technically from Earth. Or, technically the solar system. Or, technically the Milky Way.

Well technically they may not be from Seattle in the first place. They may have moved to Seattle from say, San Diego. So technically they are from California, which technically is Mexico, I think, ergo South America and so it goes on :p :D

Throughout the campaign. It was deplorable. (Ring a bell?)
Actually the Trumpsters loved being called deplorable. They adopted the name and wore t-shirts emblazoned with it proudly proclaiming themselves as "the deplorables".

Yes, they reveled in Hillary being politically incorrect, while lambasting her for political correctness... true to Trump form, contradicting themselves.

It was the opposite of what the PC crowd do. They insist that any word they find offensive to never be uttered or written.

Buncha slopes - that's all they are. :D

If you agree that the term "the Middle East" does not simply refer to Asians, why are you arguing?

What the fuck are you talking about?????

Is this yet another case where when your assertions are are shown to be full of shit you begin throwing out anything you can think of to distract from your original point?
You are confused. Your claim "The Middle East is in Asia so Middle Easterners (as we call them in the US) are correctly called Asians by Europeans." is false. You agreed that term "the Middle East" may refer to the geographic Middle East or the political Middle East (which includes Egypt which is part of Africa, and parts of southeastern Europe). Which means that the nebulous term "the Middle East" cannot automatically be taken to refer to only Asians.

To communicate in terms you seem to understand, you are literally full of shit on this matter.

Seattle is a city

S'all I'm saying.

Europe is quite well defined these days. Again, google can help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Unless they changed the definition of what a 'continent' is, then no, Europe is not a continent. Europe is a region to denote a group of peoples who share a common ethnic identity(s). Asia refers to everything that isn't Europe. This is where my problem comes in. If you're going to use the term Europe as you do, then why not use similar terminology for the whole of Eurasia? Why does Europe get special treatment in this regard?

You should instead have Europe, the Middle East, The Indian Sub-continent, Indochina, China proper, Tartaria , The Malay Archipellago, and The Polynesian Islands

Back
Top Bottom