• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So when does it stop being 'PC' and start being 'Common Decency'

Because all of those academic circles and independent nations who also do not acknowledge Europe existing as a separate continent are just plain wrong because they don't adhere to your conventions.

Also I don't understand where you get this idea of racism from since I have never once said anything to give you that impression.

You claimed to adhere to the idea that a continent is a landmass then strained to exclude Africa from Afro-Eurasia. Pretty clear why that would be.

Because the inclusion of Africa depends entirely upon whether or not land made sepperations in the landmass count or not, but openly accept the possibility of an Afro-Eurasian continent. And to ignore the details of my statements to create a false allegation of racism is highly dishonest of you.

You claimed to adhere to the idea that a continent is a landmass then strained to exclude Africa from Afro-Eurasia. Pretty clear why that would be.

Because the inclusion of Africa depends entirely upon whether or not land made sepperations in the landmass count or not, but openly accept the possibility of an Afro-Eurasian continent. And to ignore the details of my statements to create a false allegation of racism is highly dishonest of you.

Do you count England as part of Eurasia? Greenland? Oh, wait there are white people there so we can ignore the natural water ways that separate those landmasses right? But there's a manmade canal 30 feet deep that separates all the black people so that counts.

Eurasia is a continent. Europe is a racist excuse for not wanting to be associated with the rest of the landmass.

It seems like a blatant act of racism on your part to blatantly pretend Africa is not part of the great landmass of Afro-Eurasia.

I will accept Eurasia a super-continent and Afroeruasia a superstar-continent. But I will never accept IndoAustralia's break up with Antarctica. Just leaving her there in the cold while they cross the ocean. And just look at her reaching our to South America for some love. It is heartbreaking.

Europe is quite well defined these days. Again, google can help.

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Unless they changed the definition of what a 'continent' is, then no, Europe is not a continent.

Technically a continent is whatever we say it is. Let me introduce you once again to the wonders one may learn with the google:

A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. Generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, up to seven regions are commonly regarded as continents. Ordered from largest in size to smallest, they are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

So if there's no strict criteria, then what grounds do you have to rebut my contention that Europe is not a separate continent besides "Nu uh"? You just legitimized my argument without even realizing it.

Hmmm, my version of what I posted says we determine what is and isn't a continent by convention, and that Europe is one of the continents we have determined by convention.

That depends on what you mean by "we". In America, we means "all of us", and since LordKiran does not agree, it cannot be said that "we" made this determination. I understand that in the UK, where they have Royalty, they tend to use the Royal "we", meaning "I". In the case of your using the Royal "we", it seems that you are under the delusion that you are, in fact, Wikipedia.

I support LordKiran's right to think whatever he wants is a continent, even it's colored by his racism. By "we" I mean only to include those of us who read the dictionary and such for the definitions of words as opposed to making them up ourselves.

Then that definition of "we" is an odd one, as it does not apparently include you, since you did not use a dictionary, but rather wikipedia, which I have learned from good conservative authority is a communist liberal pinko SJW plot to destroy the understanding of human history (and by extension, language) as we know it.

Europe is a continent that comprises the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. To the east and southeast, Europe is generally considered as separated from Asia by the watershed divides of the Ural and Caucasus Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian and Black Seas, and the waterways of the Turkish Straits.[4]

Unless they changed the definition of what a 'continent' is, then no, Europe is not a continent.

Technically a continent is whatever we say it is. Let me introduce you once again to the wonders one may learn with the google:

A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. Generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, up to seven regions are commonly regarded as continents. Ordered from largest in size to smallest, they are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1]

So if there's no strict criteria, then what grounds do you have to rebut my contention that Europe is not a separate continent besides "Nu uh"? You just legitimized my argument without even realizing it.

Hmmm, my version of what I posted says we determine what is and isn't a continent by convention, and that Europe is one of the continents we have determined by convention.

That depends on what you mean by "we". In America, we means "all of us", and since LordKiran does not agree, it cannot be said that "we" made this determination. I understand that in the UK, where they have Royalty, they tend to use the Royal "we", meaning "I". In the case of your using the Royal "we", it seems that you are under the delusion that you are, in fact, Wikipedia.

I support LordKiran's right to think whatever he wants is a continent, even it's colored by his racism. By "we" I mean only to include those of us who read the dictionary and such for the definitions of words as opposed to making them up ourselves.

Then that definition of "we" is an odd one, as it does not apparently include you, since you did not use a dictionary, but rather wikipedia, which I have learned from good conservative authority is a communist liberal pinko SJW plot to destroy the understanding of human history (and by extension, language) as we know it.

Except in this case I did link dictionary.com, which has definitions from dictionaries:

http://talkfreethought.org/showthre...Common-Decency&p=362188&viewfull=1#post362188

But you may have a point about those wikipedia quotes. They are footnoted and apparently sourced from some disreputable outlet called "National Geographic Atlas of the World" which does sound like one of those fake news sources that reports Elvis sightings and stuff.

Good call objecting on those grounds.

Except in this case I did link dictionary.com, which has definitions from dictionaries:

http://talkfreethought.org/showthre...Common-Decency&p=362188&viewfull=1#post362188

But you may have a point about those wikipedia quotes. They are footnoted and apparently sourced from some disreputable outlet called "National Geographic Atlas of the World" which does sound like one of those fake news sources that reports Elvis sightings and stuff.

Good call objecting on those grounds.

National Geographic Atlas of the World, also known as NAMBLA!

It seems like a blatant act of racism on your part to blatantly pretend Africa is not part of the great landmass of Afro-Eurasia.

I will accept Eurasia a super-continent and Afroeruasia a superstar-continent. But I will never accept IndoAustralia's break up with Antarctica. Just leaving her there in the cold while they cross the ocean. And just look at her reaching our to South America for some love. It is heartbreaking.

Speaking for the other penguins and other fellow residents of the greatest Continent on earth, most free from the blight of humanity, we don't need your pity and we certainly don't need to be grouped with Australia or India or South America and all the human filth that comes with that.

Speaking for the other penguins and other fellow residents of the greatest Continent on earth, most free from the blight of humanity, we don't need your pity and we certainly don't need to be grouped with Australia or India or South America and all the human filth that comes with that.

Penguins are such anti-humanites.

Political correctness is basically the notion that negative meanings attach to the words rather than to the concepts they refer to.

Rather than "shit" being bad because of what feces is, feces is made to look bad because it's got the moniker "shit".

Thus the attempt to replace the monikers--which has some value in cases where the word has an undeserved reputation such as "nigger" but just contaminates more words when it's applied to something deserved, such as fat.

Leftists have always assumed the prerogative of political correctness as a way to silence speech of their opponents, never to silence the speech of leftists, unless they are not left enough.

Trump supporters don't like the lack of PC correctness directed at them. They only like it when the lack of PC is directed at others.

I think "chink" is the more PC term these days. Please adjust your Liberal Lexicon accordingly.

<snipped video>

Also, there is a difference in usage of "Asian" between US and UK. The "Asians" that raped those kids were mostly Pakistani. The rug-peer was "Asian" in the US sense.

And Pakistan is NOT in the Middle East.

Nobody in England would call someone from the Middle East 'Asian'. When an English person says 'Asian', they usually mean 'Brown people whose ancestors moved from the Indian Subcontinent to England one or two generations ago' - which is abbreviated to 'Asians', because they are a significant and visually identifiable fraction of the population in England. South East Asians are relatively rare, and would almost certainly be described as 'Chinese'; While Middle Eastern people would be called 'Arabs', even if they were Jewish or Persian; and Black people would be likely called 'West Indian' or 'Jamaican', even if they or their ancestors arrived in England directly from Africa.

These are the kinds of practical but factually dubious labels that every society applies to its minority communities. The 'rules' are arbitrary, and vary HUGELY between societies, so unsurprisingly, Americans get totally confused, as we see in this thread.

The Rotherham child rapists were people whose immediate ancestors came from the Indian sub-continent, and such people are described by the English as 'Asian looking'. If you say 'He is an Asian looking man' to an English person, they will be looking out for someone who looks like he might have come from Mumbai, not Shanghai.

So my Asian-American granddaughter found racist slurs near her 'thesis' stall at Reed library just after Trump won the election. Sorry I just can't accept 'chink' or any other. derogatory ethnic or foreign slang as PC or any other excusatory term for lazy or racist jabber. It becomes really dangerous when targets think of themselves as 'sl....yed' or 'ye ... jew' or 'chink' or any other label when they describe their own fears of felt racist pressure.

Stop it.

Consider your own 'tidy whitey' fears. Wait until the articles come out in the foreign racist press about white mathematical inferiority, oh wait ......

Here's a random thought.

Most people on this board probably equate "Politically Correctness" with "Common Decency."

Do you think those who have a negative view of Political Correctness define it the same way? Why or why not? If not, what do you think they define it as?

Back
Top Bottom